Wii U Forum

Topic: I want a WiiU for those 1080p games, but 720p TV says MEH

Showing 41 to 60 of 71

AuthorMessage

ZyroXZ2

41. Posted:

About the OP, I would hold out until you can get something larger in 1080p. The Wii U upscales games to 1080p, so technically you'll get a 1080p signal out of it. Since most of their games are native 720p, the upscale only serves to make it marginally clearer. However, Nintendo's excellent mastery of graphics hides this flaw. Wind Waker HD is 1080p, SM3DW is 720p. Both played on a large 1080p TV, you can see that Wind Waker HD is clearer, but ONLY when you play them one right after the other. Basically, for some odd reason, Nintendo makes 720p look insanely good, and as a PC gamer, I'm all about the highest possible resolutions at 60 fps or above, yet SM3DW looks absolutely phenomenal.

In other words, you'll live at 720p, and if you want to go 1080p, go with a much bigger TV ;)

Check out my talk show on YouTube, the Wii U "Five"!

www.youtube.com/ZyroXZ2

^^/

Nintendo Network ID: ZyroXZ2

AuthorMessage

Xiao_Pai

42. Posted:

...So, yeah how do you tell which resolutions the games are in? Just curious. >.>

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage

skywake

43. Posted:

Lan wrote:

Now you're just spreading blatant lies. This is in no way true at all. http://frames-per-second.appspot.com/

What are you talking about? I can see the difference pretty clearly. Even when I turn off motion blur entirely and slow the movement right down it's still visible. I can see that 60fps is smoother than 24fps, 30fps and 48fps. I mean the gap between 48fps and 60fps is fairly small when the ball is moving very slowly but it's still there.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

Jazzer94

44. Posted:

Mizore wrote:

...So, yeah how do you tell which resolutions the games are in? Just curious. >.>

With your eyes if they're good enough that is. ;)

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage

WaveWarlock

45. Posted:

Lan wrote:

If the game is native 720p (like most console games) it's gonna look better on a 720p TV. 720p video on a 1080p display looks worse that 720p video on a 720p display, because the pixels don't line up perfectly. When you put 921,600 pixels (720p) into 2,073,600 pixels (1080p), some of the original pixels are being stretched out over multiple pixels on the display, resulting in a less-than-stellar image. I hope I explained this in a way everyone can understand.

Pretty much this. sticking with a reasonably sized 720p set would be your best option(Avoid those 42" plasma's since their native res is only 1024x768 vs the 50 inch sets which are 1366x766) Based on what i've played on the XBOX 360 for ex, 720p games look better on a 720p display. I haven't bee too pleased with playing 720p titles based on the 1080p LCD's and plasma's that i've owned.....The major downside is that 720p displays are typically low grade bargain bin HDTV's, in order to get better PQ you have to go 1080p....And there are only like 2 or 3 retail Wii u games that i know of that are actually native 1080p..... And that's rayman legends and Zelda Wind Waker HD.

I'd personally try and score a 50" Samsung 720p plasma.....At 10 feet away eye distance wise, you can't tell the difference between 1080p and 720p on that size anyways. This 50" 720p smasung '4500' is considered pretty solid. Good motion, nice deep black levels, Bright(nowhere near as bright as an LED or the all mighty Samsung 8500 1080p plasma which is hailed for almost being as bright as an LED), a slew of picture control options and is brighter than the low tier 1080p panasonic plasma's. I'm not sure what the input lag on this specific set is, might be around 35-42ms. I personally wouldn't opt for a set over 35ms.....

Also, check this site out. It should help you big time with this entire never endling input lag gaming crisis.. ;)
http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/

As far as going for Plasma or LED, it's a matter of picking your poison. Both technologies have their ups and downs. I'm a CRT fanboy, but the tech is dead, but is damn perfect for retro gaming. Heck, XBOX 360 games via component cables on my mid 2000' Sony wega FD trinitron CRT SDTV looked phenomenal. Virtua Fighter 4 on my CRT made my jaw drop to the ground, yet on my friends LCD i just wasn't impressed. there's more to great picture quality than HD and progressive scan. Motion performance, brightness(Both LED and LCD have this convered and beyond). black levels, contrast ratio, color gamut(ect) are the most important things here and my Sony was a force to be reckoned with, that no plasma or LCD during the time could match....Unless you were a pioneer plasma, even then you were left with inferior motion + dithering, ABL(Auto dimming) and high degree with input lag. i made the smart move by sticking with CRT(using component cables) during last generation. It's the best way to experience Wii games imo.

I'm interested in Samsung's final plasma, the H7000 which is going to be released at the end of the year. LED-like brightness, Super contrast mode, fantanstic motion, wonderful deep rich blacks(ect) the only thing that would stop me is high input lag. If i went LED, i'd opt for the Vizio 2014 Reference series, that's if i could afford it....which most definitely won't be the case. :P

Edited on by WaveWarlock

Currently Playing: Ghouls 'n Ghosts!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80s FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!

AuthorMessage

MikeLove

46. Posted:

Buy a 1080p TV!

If you ever want to watch a bluray or hook up a PC or another console to it in the future, you are going to be kicking yourself for buying a 720p tv!!

MikeLove

AuthorMessage

ogo79

47. Posted:

treat yourself, dont beat yourself.
go spend some money

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

AuthorMessage

kyuubikid213

48. Posted:

I've got a 19" 1080p Seiki. My Wii U games look pretty good on that. Set only cost me a little over 100 USD.

As far as resolutions go, I'm no expert on how far away and the best resolution for size or any of that, but my set works fine for me and it can go up to 1080p, so I'm set for this generation and, likely, the next as I don't see 4K ruling the market by then.

Wii Owner, 3DS Owner, Wii U Owner

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I promise to be a mature individual. Request from theblackdragon

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

49. Posted:

Insignia HDTVs are pretty good. This is the best set they have out, IMO:

http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/televisions/NS-42D51...

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

skywake

50. Posted:

JohnRedcorn wrote:

Buy a 1080p TV!

If you ever want to watch a bluray or hook up a PC or another console to it in the future, you are going to be kicking yourself for buying a 720p tv!!

+1

The people talking about 720p for console gaming are probably right for maybe 90% of console gaming right now. All things being equal a 1080p screen will produce a marginally inferior image than a 720p one when displaying 720p content. In theory at least. However people do more than gaming on their screens and odds are a new TV will be floating around for quite a while. Over time there's going to be more content at full 1080p not less.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

MyFriendOfMisery

51. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

I think ZombiU is 1080p. Supposedly, Mario Kart, Bayonetta, and X(?) will be 1080p. CoD running at sub-HD just proves Acttivision didn't know how to get better results from the Wii U, though. The same could be said about alot of games, but it isn't a big deal, either way.

In the situation the OP is in, I would either get a Wii U or invest in a good audio system, instead of another HDTV.

ZombiU is 720p, Mario Kart is definitely 720p, Bayonnetta 2 is probably 720p, COD is sub-HD on PS360 too.

MyFriendOfMisery

AuthorMessage

GuSolarFlare

52. Posted:

WhereEaglesDare wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I think ZombiU is 1080p. Supposedly, Mario Kart, Bayonetta, and X(?) will be 1080p. CoD running at sub-HD just proves Acttivision didn't know how to get better results from the Wii U, though. The same could be said about alot of games, but it isn't a big deal, either way.

In the situation the OP is in, I would either get a Wii U or invest in a good audio system, instead of another HDTV.

ZombiU is 720p, Mario Kart is definitely 720p, Bayonnetta 2 is probably 720p, COD is sub-HD on PS360 too.

Mario Kart wasn't released yet same goes for Bayonetta 2....

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

53. Posted:

@WhereEaglesDare
I know the game runs in sub-HD, because Activision straight up ported the game without any changes.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

memoryman3

54. Posted:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

WhereEaglesDare wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Mario Kart wasn't released yet same goes for Bayonetta 2....

Mario Kart screens are NATIVE 720p with no AA

Get ready for the HYRULE SPIDERMAN! Coming to Wii U and 3DS this summer!

Nintendo Network ID: memoryman3 | Twitter: realmemoryman3

AuthorMessage

memoryman3

55. Posted:

Hy8ogen wrote:

Lan wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

720p, 1080p, 4k, blah. They don't really matter, in the end of the day it really depends on how big your TV is and the distance you will be away from it. If you're going to get 50" TV, I would highly suggest 1080p because 720p would be stretching it a little. Here's a little graph to help you make your decision :)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/12/resolut...

And I suppose you're gonna tell us that the human eye can't see over 30 frames per second next.

Yup. However, although our eyes can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps, we can definitely "feel" it. I can't really put them in words but 60FPS definitely feels a TINY bit smoother compared to 30.

60fps and 30fps is a night and day difference, Play Mario Kart by yourself, then play it with 3 friends to see what I am talking about

AuthorMessage

memoryman3

56. Posted:

Jazzer94 wrote:

Dreamsleep wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

Most games on Wii U are 720p native

I thought I had read that most were 1080p, but I admit I do not know. Thank you for the education!

To my knowledge Wind Waker HD, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Rayman Legends and maybe some e-shop releases.
Edit: these as well supposedly Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition and Assasins Creed 3
Edit 2: Oh MK8 and SSB4 are supposed to be full 1080p 60fps.

Out of the games you listed on the edit, only SSB4 is 1080p. Batman, AC3 and MK8 are definitely 1280*720.

For Wii U, stick with a 720p TV for perfect 1:1 pixel mapping.

AuthorMessage

brewsky

57. Posted:

@memoryman3 Mario Kart 8 is 1080p 60 FPS.

Now playing:
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U) | Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (3DS) | Fantasy Life (3DS)
AC:NL Dream Address: 4100-3259-5964
I would come up with a clever name for my backloggery, but my name prevents it.

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

58. Posted:

@memoryman3
Even with a 1080p HDTV, the Wii U upscales 720p to 1080p. Super Mario 3D World and DK: Tropical Freeze show this. I think most, if not all the games that are 720p, are being upscaled.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

Jazzer94

59. Posted:

@memoryman3 Mario Kart 8 runs at 1080p 60fps.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage

Hy8ogen

60. Posted:

memoryman3 wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

Lan wrote:

Hy8ogen wrote:

720p, 1080p, 4k, blah. They don't really matter, in the end of the day it really depends on how big your TV is and the distance you will be away from it. If you're going to get 50" TV, I would highly suggest 1080p because 720p would be stretching it a little. Here's a little graph to help you make your decision :)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2006/12/resolut...

And I suppose you're gonna tell us that the human eye can't see over 30 frames per second next.

Yup. However, although our eyes can't tell the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps, we can definitely "feel" it. I can't really put them in words but 60FPS definitely feels a TINY bit smoother compared to 30.

60fps and 30fps is a night and day difference, Play Mario Kart by yourself, then play it with 3 friends to see what I am talking about

Dude that was a joke I wrote a few months back, relax! I don't have a PhD in neuro science, but people who can't see the difference between 30fps and 60fps needs to see the eye doctor.

Edited on by Hy8ogen

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit