Forums

Topic: How Nintendo Can Use Mobile

Posts 1 to 20 of 21

Bolt_Strike

Since mobile is such a huge market, it's only natural that Nintendo should be thinking about how to appeal to them. And indeed, Nintendo has stated that they plan to take advantage of the mobile market. But they shouldn't go all in to the mobile market because then the games would be a bit too dumbed down and we need the full retail games as well. So what should they use mobile for?

Well first of all, there's Nintendo's services, like NNID, Miiverse, and the eShop. They can allows access to Nintendo's online and social features, and that would draw them into Nintendo's userbase. But that will probably not be enough. Most people probably won't be interested that much in a service that only allows you to use a social messaging feature (when you're already on a dozen other ones anyway) or browse games that you can't even play. They're probably going to want to actually play some games. Now they said they're not putting Mario on smartphones, and considering that that would detract from hardware sales, it's a smart move... to a degree. While games like 3D Land and 3D World should remain exclusive to 3DS and Wii U, do we really need games like Puzzles and Dragons Mario or Pokemon Shuffle to be exclusive to Nintendo devices? I'm sure the mobile market would eat these games up, and it would improve both their userbase and their profits if they could buy those games without needing a Nintendo device. So I think Nintendo should have some smaller eShop games available for mobile, but no retail size games. Then after they've enjoyed those games, Nintendo could expose them to their retail games which would encourage them to go out and purchase Nintendo devices. This would be a fairly balanced approach IMO, they would provide enough of the Nintendo experience for the mobile market to become fans but not too much that they see no need to buy a Nintendo device.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

LzWinky

I actually made a similar suggestion. Use the heavy weight IPs like Mario and Pokemon and make some smaller-scale mobile games that are also available on the eShop while advertising that their big games will still remain on Nintendo devices.

Current games: Final Fantasy IX, Tetris 99

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Dreamsleep

Why don't people understand they want to control the hardware, and software. Nintendo controls the hardware for two reasons:

#1: They can throw whatever innovations on there that they want, without having to go to some standard, like a smartphone. No buttons, blah, blah, blah.

#2: Money.

End of story.

Atari 2600, Commodore 64/128, Sega Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, PC, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Wii, PSP, DSi, PS3, 3DSXL, WiiU

LzWinky

We're not suggesting any main games on the mobile. Just release a few spin-offs designed for some quick play (and quick money hehe)

Or heck, design and sell custom wallpapers for mobile phones. Imagine that money-maker

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Final Fantasy IX, Tetris 99

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Bolt_Strike

Dreamsleep wrote:

Why don't people understand they want to control the hardware, and software. Nintendo controls the hardware for two reasons:

#1: They can throw whatever innovations on there that they want, without having to go to some standard, like a smartphone. No buttons, blah, blah, blah.

#2: Money.

End of story.

The problem is that they lock themselves out to huge markets by limiting themselves from mass media markets like mobile, and there's more money to be made by expanding beyond consoles. As far as the hardware goes, the point is that they don't have to give that up, they can still create innovative games on their own consoles and make them exclusives. The games that they would be putting on mobile are small, simple games that don't take advantage of their hardware in the first place, which have no real business being exclusive to Nintendo hardware.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

kkslider5552000

My suggestion would be a quickie but genuinely good original game that casually and cleverly advertises the Wii U.

Maybe some connected content like the mobile apps for GTA 5 and the like.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

skywake

At the very least they need something on-par with what their competitors are doing. With Steam's app for example I can see my friend list, see who's online, what they're playing etc. I can also buy games and remotely install them which is pretty handy, potentially even more for the Wii U given that it's always online.

If they did just that, integrated MiiVerse and maybe this new rewards program that replaces Club Nintendo? Then that'd be enough for me. I don't think making it any more than that will be as much of an advantage as people think it would be.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

iKhan

I actually had this idea of a "Nintendo virtual universe" app. The idea's a bit sleezy, and it needs a bit more fleshing out to be practical, but it seems like a money maker to me.

Imagine you have an app that tells a story about a "Nintendo virtual universe" where all Nintendo characters are tied together. As you progress through this story, the game sends you "missions" to go play certain games, and these affect the status in the mobile game. Of course there would be other missions in the form of smaller Nintendo themed minigames, and as with my other app ideas, there would be mobile currency you can earn to trade in for small eShop credits.

Currently Playing: Pokemon Crystal, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions

DefHalan

skywake wrote:

At the very least they need something on-par with what their competitors are doing. With Steam's app for example I can see my friend list, see who's online, what they're playing etc. I can also buy games and remotely install them which is pretty handy, potentially even more for the Wii U given that it's always online.

If they did just that, integrated MiiVerse and maybe this new rewards program that replaces Club Nintendo? Then that'd be enough for me. I don't think making it any more than that will be as much of an advantage as people think it would be.

I think that sounds like the best idea. Basically an app that keeps you in the Nintendo Social Network and has plenty of marketing.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Bolt_Strike

Another thing, I don't think there's anything wrong with having first party content on mobile. For instance, I could see Mario vs. DK fitting mobile pretty well (the gameplay is all touch screen and the levels are short and simple). Just not retail games, the games are too big and they're going to want to use them to promote Nintendo's hardware.

iKhan wrote:

I actually had this idea of a "Nintendo virtual universe" app. The idea's a bit sleezy, and it needs a bit more fleshing out to be practical, but it seems like a money maker to me.

Imagine you have an app that tells a story about a "Nintendo virtual universe" where all Nintendo characters are tied together. As you progress through this story, the game sends you "missions" to go play certain games, and these affect the status in the mobile game. Of course there would be other missions in the form of smaller Nintendo themed minigames, and as with my other app ideas, there would be mobile currency you can earn to trade in for small eShop credits.

No idea what you mean.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Dizzy_Boy

I'm suprised Nintendo don't utilize NFC as most phones have that now.
An Amiibo app, or a Mii maker that can also transfer Mii's in the same way as the Wii remotes did on the Wii.

Switch I.D SW-0262-8074-7921
WiiU NNID: Dr_Dizzy
I`ve been a slave from the cradle to the grave.
https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/58D0-0000-02BB-5718

Twitter:

iKhan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Another thing, I don't think there's anything wrong with having first party content on mobile. For instance, I could see Mario vs. DK fitting mobile pretty well (the gameplay is all touch screen and the levels are short and simple). Just not retail games, the games are too big and they're going to want to use them to promote Nintendo's hardware.

iKhan wrote:

I actually had this idea of a "Nintendo virtual universe" app. The idea's a bit sleezy, and it needs a bit more fleshing out to be practical, but it seems like a money maker to me.

Imagine you have an app that tells a story about a "Nintendo virtual universe" where all Nintendo characters are tied together. As you progress through this story, the game sends you "missions" to go play certain games, and these affect the status in the mobile game. Of course there would be other missions in the form of smaller Nintendo themed minigames, and as with my other app ideas, there would be mobile currency you can earn to trade in for small eShop credits.

No idea what you mean.

Okay, so it's an app about a universe combining Nintendo franchises. It has it's own set of cutscenes that you watch as you go through the story. The gameplay features a touch&click world map, where you progress along a path with different missions. Some of these missions are Nintendo themed Minigames. Others say something like "Ganondorf is causing trouble, beat his minions in the first dungeon of a Legend of Zelda game". As you progress, you earn coins, and these coins can go into buying small $5 eShop credits.

Currently Playing: Pokemon Crystal, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions

iKhan

skywake wrote:

At the very least they need something on-par with what their competitors are doing. With Steam's app for example I can see my friend list, see who's online, what they're playing etc. I can also buy games and remotely install them which is pretty handy, potentially even more for the Wii U given that it's always online.

If they did just that, integrated MiiVerse and maybe this new rewards program that replaces Club Nintendo? Then that'd be enough for me. I don't think making it any more than that will be as much of an advantage as people think it would be.

While I agree this would be a good thing, I think part of the pressure for Nintendo to put their games on mobile is that they have very weak brand recognition in a sphere that is becoming a more and more consistent part of everyone's gaming experience. If Nintendo were to make an app that spread the word about their games, systems, and franchises, it would have a net positive effect for the company.

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Pokemon Crystal, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions

Bolt_Strike

iKhan wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Another thing, I don't think there's anything wrong with having first party content on mobile. For instance, I could see Mario vs. DK fitting mobile pretty well (the gameplay is all touch screen and the levels are short and simple). Just not retail games, the games are too big and they're going to want to use them to promote Nintendo's hardware.

iKhan wrote:

I actually had this idea of a "Nintendo virtual universe" app. The idea's a bit sleezy, and it needs a bit more fleshing out to be practical, but it seems like a money maker to me.

Imagine you have an app that tells a story about a "Nintendo virtual universe" where all Nintendo characters are tied together. As you progress through this story, the game sends you "missions" to go play certain games, and these affect the status in the mobile game. Of course there would be other missions in the form of smaller Nintendo themed minigames, and as with my other app ideas, there would be mobile currency you can earn to trade in for small eShop credits.

No idea what you mean.

Okay, so it's an app about a universe combining Nintendo franchises. It has it's own set of cutscenes that you watch as you go through the story. The gameplay features a touch&click world map, where you progress along a path with different missions. Some of these missions are Nintendo themed Minigames. Others say something like "Ganondorf is causing trouble, beat his minions in the first dungeon of a Legend of Zelda game". As you progress, you earn coins, and these coins can go into buying small $5 eShop credits.

So basically Nintendo Land meets NES Remix? That'd be kind of cool.

Bolt_Strike

3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

skywake

iKhan wrote:

While I agree this would be a good thing, I think part of the pressure for Nintendo to put their games on mobile is that they have very weak brand recognition in a sphere that is becoming a more and more consistent part of everyone's gaming experience. If Nintendo were to make an app that spread the word about their games, systems, and franchises, it would have a net positive effect for the company.

The only way I could see it working is if it was with a "touch friendly" IP that was very cheap. Because I don't see the mobile market really wanting to gravitate towards a $5-15 game. At all. And I can't think of much of their IP that would actually work because getting some games to work without buttons is tricky. Plus with a lot of indie games we've already seen that the mobile market is a lot more fickle when it comes to what they'll buy into.

I think the value of catering to the mobile market with actual games is a bit overstated

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

RR529

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

While I agree this would be a good thing, I think part of the pressure for Nintendo to put their games on mobile is that they have very weak brand recognition in a sphere that is becoming a more and more consistent part of everyone's gaming experience. If Nintendo were to make an app that spread the word about their games, systems, and franchises, it would have a net positive effect for the company.

The only way I could see it working is if it was with a "touch friendly" IP that was very cheap. Because I don't see the mobile market really wanting to gravitate towards a $5-15 game. At all. And I can't think of much of their IP that would actually work because getting some games to work without buttons is tricky. Plus with a lot of indie games we've already seen that the mobile market is a lot more fickle when it comes to what they'll buy into.

I think the value of catering to the mobile market with actual games is a bit overstated

Eh, somehow Square Enix manages just fine releasing games at $8-$15(US) pricepoints. Final Fantasy IV, Dragon Quest IV, Final Fantasy VI, & Dragon Quest VIII (the latter of which is $20!) always seem to be high up in the list of top selling games on the Google Play store (especially in the "RPG" section).

That said, I agree not every franchise would be a good fit for mobile, though.

Currently Playing:
Switch - NSMBU Deluxe
PS4 - Moss

unrandomsam

What is interesting though is Sonic 2 is usually making about the same gross revenue as the best placed Square Enix RPG.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

iKhan

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

While I agree this would be a good thing, I think part of the pressure for Nintendo to put their games on mobile is that they have very weak brand recognition in a sphere that is becoming a more and more consistent part of everyone's gaming experience. If Nintendo were to make an app that spread the word about their games, systems, and franchises, it would have a net positive effect for the company.

The only way I could see it working is if it was with a "touch friendly" IP that was very cheap. Because I don't see the mobile market really wanting to gravitate towards a $5-15 game. At all. And I can't think of much of their IP that would actually work because getting some games to work without buttons is tricky. Plus with a lot of indie games we've already seen that the mobile market is a lot more fickle when it comes to what they'll buy into.

I think the value of catering to the mobile market with actual games is a bit overstated

Actually, I was thinking it would be free. It would function more as an advertisement that happens to be a game than a paid full game experience.

What I've had the idea of in the past is a Nintendo card game akin to Hearthstone, but with less stringent coin requirements. The same way Hearthstone introduces people to the Warcraft universe, this Nintendo card game could advertise far better known Nintendo universes.

Currently Playing: Pokemon Crystal, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions

iKhan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Another thing, I don't think there's anything wrong with having first party content on mobile. For instance, I could see Mario vs. DK fitting mobile pretty well (the gameplay is all touch screen and the levels are short and simple). Just not retail games, the games are too big and they're going to want to use them to promote Nintendo's hardware.

iKhan wrote:

I actually had this idea of a "Nintendo virtual universe" app. The idea's a bit sleezy, and it needs a bit more fleshing out to be practical, but it seems like a money maker to me.

Imagine you have an app that tells a story about a "Nintendo virtual universe" where all Nintendo characters are tied together. As you progress through this story, the game sends you "missions" to go play certain games, and these affect the status in the mobile game. Of course there would be other missions in the form of smaller Nintendo themed minigames, and as with my other app ideas, there would be mobile currency you can earn to trade in for small eShop credits.

No idea what you mean.

Okay, so it's an app about a universe combining Nintendo franchises. It has it's own set of cutscenes that you watch as you go through the story. The gameplay features a touch&click world map, where you progress along a path with different missions. Some of these missions are Nintendo themed Minigames. Others say something like "Ganondorf is causing trouble, beat his minions in the first dungeon of a Legend of Zelda game". As you progress, you earn coins, and these coins can go into buying small $5 eShop credits.

So basically Nintendo Land meets NES Remix? That'd be kind of cool.

Kind of, but what I mean by it being sleezy is that the points like "Ganon is causing trouble" can only be beaten by playing a Nintendo game on a Nintendo systems. There would be paths you can take that are just minigames, but these "bypasses" would be faster ways to progress.

Though now that I think about it, doing it more in the NES remix style could totally work too.

Currently Playing: Pokemon Crystal, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Daemon X Machina Prototype Missions

foodmetaphors

Nintendo is already in the business of mobile with their 3DS, what if the HDS were also a smartphone? Two screens really aren't necessary, though a clamshell design could work if keeping 3DS/DS backwards compatibility is really a priority (those games could also just be rereleased in its eShop if a card reader isn't possibly/practical, and because come on who isn't rebuying nintendo gamez when given the opportunity). However I'd rather see more of a shrunken Wii U Gamepad feel to it, with something maybe more akin to 3DS controls.

edit: just now realizing how stupid I am for calling it the HDS and then arguing in favor of a single screen. oh well, no changes!
2nd edit: I guess it does work if it just stands for "high definition screen" but in my head I always say that as "high-def screens."

Edited on by foodmetaphors

everything's good and it'll be that way forever!

3DS Friend Code: 3625-9105-7282 | Nintendo Network ID: FXM-729 | Twitter:

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic