Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 3,021 to 3,040 of 11,914

CanisWolfred

Just realized that there are only a couple more left that I need to be backwards compatible (until you start counting Xbox original games...I kinda gave up on those. If my 360 dies, I might just grab an original Xbox. Then I could track down Otogi 1 and 2, as well as Gunvalkyrie), at least that I could think of:

Akai Katana
Burnout Revenge
Culdcept Saga
Deathsmiles (which is also on Steam, mind you, so I could always double dip if necessary)
Raiden Fighters Aces (which I already played a lot of years ago)

I might be forgetting some, but I think the next time I boot up the Xbox 360, I'll focus on completing those 5.

EDIT: Oh yeah, there was also a console version of Quake III: Arena, but I don't think that's even playable anymore...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Grumblevolcano

I hope Sonic 06, Sonic Unleashed and Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing comes to backwards compatibility soon.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

CanisWolfred

DarthNocturnal wrote:

A bunch of Original XBOX titles are coming later this month.

April 17th, we get:

• Blinx: The Time Sweeper
  • Breakdown
  • Conker: Live & Reloaded
  • Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Hunter: The Reckoning
  • Jade Empire
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • SSX 3

And on the 26th:

• Destroy All Humans! (wooooo)
  • Full Spectrum Warrior
  • Mercenaries (WOOOOO, loved it on PS2)
  • MX Unleashed
  • Panzer Elite Action: Fields of Glory
  • Star Wars Battlefront
  • Star Wars Battlefront 2 (is it too late to get online?)
  • Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
  • Star Wars Jedi Starfighter
  • KOTOR 2
  • Star Wars Republic Commando

Also, Sonic Generations is BC now, and has XB1X enhancements.

Seriously was starting to worry that they forgot about original Xbox titles. Glad to see I was wrong!

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

I never thought backwards compatibility would make me buy a console but I think it might make me buy an Xbone quite soon.

I never had an original Xbox OR an Xbox 360 so it really would be a bargain. I think when they finally announce Tales of Vesperia for backcompat that'll push me over the line.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Peek-a-boo

@Dezzy You’re British, yes?

Last November, you could buy an Xbox One S bundle with Rocket League - ‘Collector’s Edition’ - for £159.

Untitled

I honestly believe you can buy an Xbox One S later this year for less than £149, as Microsoft always go crazy with their prices in both November and December respectively. If I hadn’t bought a Switch a few months ago, I would have had the same inklings as you, seeing as the backwards compatibility output is more exciting than what they have put out this generation IMO.

Peek-a-boo

Dezzy

@Peek-a-boo

Yep I live in Britain. That's a good price. I'd definitely get one at that price.

Lol I only just found out that the Xbox One S is actually slightly faster than the original model as well. I thought it was just smaller and had more storage. Cool.

Octane

Yeah, the One S is incredibly cheap. They were €165 (£142!) last year!

Problem is, looking through their list of exclusives, I can't find any reason to pick one up, even if you include their BC programme. All I can think of is Sunset Overdrive and The Last Night (upcoming indie game). But that's all, I think. Perhaps ReCore...

Octane

Peek-a-boo

@Dezzy Mathematically, it is 8% more powerful than the OG Xbox One, because they freed up some of the RAM that was originally used for Kinect 2.0, which turned out to be a bit of a wet fart...

It doesn’t seem to speed up the sluggish UI, unfortunately.

It is so slow and cumbersome when you compare it to the minimalistic/simplistic UI on both the PlayStation 4 and Switch, and all those OS updates seemingly amount to very little. It drives me potty!

@Octane Likewise.

I played and completed Ori and the Blind Forest and Sunset Overdrive when I was housesitting my friends place for a month whilst he was in New Zealand. Both games are superb!

I wasn’t overly struck on Quantum Break, especially the way the story was implemented by reading important stuff on files and computers in the middle of a gunfight (!) ReCore is a game of mixed quality - enjoyable platforming, but there was not enough of it, and finding those cores was an exercise in tedium.

It definitely needed more time in the oven, that’s for sure.

So yeah, for me, the backwards compatibility is its best draw however, with a (new) Switch and a PlayStation 4, I just simply cannot find the time to justify another console.

Peek-a-boo

Dezzy

@Octane

Most of the Xbox exclusives are moderately interesting to me. They're undeniably inferior to Playstation or Nintendo's but still will add to the value of the console for me. I'm thinking:

Cuphead, Gears of War 4, Gears of War Remastered, Halo Collection, Halo 5, Sunset Overdrive, Forza, State of Decay 2, Ori and Blind Forest, Quantum Break.

And I realise quite a few of those are available on PC as well but I do prefer to play most games on a console so I'm gonna consider those as effectively being exclusives. Especially given that you can buy most of them used on ebay for low prices.

Peek-a-boo wrote:

@Dezzy Mathematically, it is 8% more powerful than the OG Xbox One, because they freed up some of the RAM that was originally used for Kinect 2.0, which turned out to be a bit of a wet fart...

Wet Fart is probably their retrospective company code name for it tbh. I actually have a Kinect 2.0. Not for gaming though. I do a bit of animation from time to time and I wanted to see how good it's motion capture capabilities were. Turns out the answer is: incredibly good if you remain facing the camera. Incredibly bad in all other situations.

Edited on by Dezzy

NEStalgia

@Peek-a-boo "minimalistic/simplistic UI on both the PlayStation 4 [...]"

LOL, good on.....wait.....you were being serious?

I love my PS4....but that interface is just horrid. Sure, Metro on XBox and Windows are still somehow managing to be even worse.....

NEStalgia

Peek-a-boo

@NEStalgia This is pretty much what the homepage on my PlayStation 4 looks like:

Untitled

If this doesn’t look minimalistic/simplistic to you, I don’t know what is!

Peek-a-boo

NEStalgia

@Peek-a-boo Until you actually have a game's tile selected and that big mess opens up. Or, you know, you want to go into settings, PSN/trophies/etc details. All the pop-out panels are a mess.

NEStalgia

Dezzy

PS4 menu looks fine to me. Can someone post the Xbox One version?

Peek-a-boo

@NEStalgia Well, you need to display information about the games themselves, especially multiplayer ones that shows various multiplayer features such as chat, invites and groups. I agree that it can be streamlined, yes, but given the online infrastructure between each game, it isn’t an easy job.

Let’s just say that upon first glance, it looks relatively clean and simple... until you dive into the games information and the various settings beyond the surface. It certainly helps if you have a clutter free theme, just like the 20th Anniversary one shown above!

@Dezzy This is the current UI design, which I believe is the third attempt since the Xbox One came to be:

Untitled

Peek-a-boo

NEStalgia

@Peek-a-boo Honestly the XBox One and PS4 UIs don't even seem that different to me. Switch has it nice and clean, much more like a mobile OS where everything is uniform. The PS4.....it doesn't really count even with the clean theme (though it's most fair to compare default themes), since you go to a game, and EVERY game has a busy, noisy backdrop (sometimes literally), with it's own odd unique menu of garbage strewn all over, videos that start playing on loop, random odd links to DLC strewn everywhere. There's no need for that. It's not because of online infrastructure, it's because of bad UI design. The myriad of add-ons and features could easily be a uniform menu that would be less "pretty" but much more functionally minimalist and much easier to navigate all games in a uniform way.

I expect bad interfaces from Sony though. Never had a Sony product of any type with an interface that wasn't awful since that 1989 VCR.....

The XBO interface's crime is it's as though they've copied Sony, and blended it with the already awful Win10 interface.

I liken the effect to Flash based website navigation. At least the interwebs got rid of it, even if consoles cling to it.

NEStalgia

Grumblevolcano

The best console UI is still Wii U.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ryu_Niiyama

@Peek-a-boo that ui looks better than the last time i booted my xbone ....been over a year. i will dig it out of storage...at some point.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano WiiU's UI was the best of times and the worst of times. The layout, interface, etc was so nicely designed in some areas, and so painfully PalmOS-like in others. PalmOS was great....in its day. And........it's.......hard.......to.......forget.......the......boot.....and.......menu.....speed......of.......WiiU.

I have to actually give credit to PS Vita. Before Switch it was the best UI around, despite some idiosyncrasies. X360 was cool on revision 2. And then they ruined it.

NEStalgia

CanisWolfred

Octane wrote:

Yeah, the One S is incredibly cheap. They were €165 (£142!) last year!

Problem is, looking through their list of exclusives, I can't find any reason to pick one up, even if you include their BC programme. All I can think of is Sunset Overdrive and The Last Night (upcoming indie game). But that's all, I think. Perhaps ReCore...

I'd probably play Super Lucky's Tale, Sunset Overdrive, Gigantic, Rare's Retro Collection, Killer Instinct, and the Halo games if I ever got the Xbone. And if Crackdown 3, doesn't turn out to be a dud. Didn't ReCore get a re-release? If that's better, I might go for that, too. Still, there's not quite enough that would make me buy it on its own. That's why I'm so worried about Backwards compatibilitity...

Also, thank you, @Dezzy, for reminding me that Tales of Vesperia isn't Backwards compatible, yet...that's another big one I'm still waiting for...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

carlos82

Got to say the Xbox One X is my favourite console at the moment, for all the talk of exclusives I have no shortage of games to play and for third parties there is no comparison. Added to that the excellent backwards compatibility and with all the talk of what games Sega will bring to it's Ages collection I have Panzer Dragoon Orta in 1920p on my Xbox One X and it looks incredible. In this regard at least the Xbox is well ahead of the competition, offering either just improved performance in old games or in an increasing number resolutions up to 4K and all for free if you already have the discs.

I agree there isn't much reason to buy the S as much of what I said simply won't apply but for anyone with a bit more money to burn the X is a far superior console to the Pro

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5967-3221-9309 | My Nintendo: Carlos

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic