Forums

Topic: The everything Xbox thread

Posts 3,041 to 3,060 of 11,914

SuperWeird

I'm very happy with my X. I sold my PS4 last year (I owned it since launch), and bought an X instead, and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I was never really thrilled with my PS4 for a ton of reasons (controller sucked, no-backwards compatibility with my PS3 digital purchases, annoying full-page military ads on the home screen—right next to Call of Duty no less, and I don't really care about any of their solo player exclusives). Most of my non-Nintendo gaming is via third party publishers, and the X is definitely the best place to play those games. I also love the X controller and their backwards compatibility with 360 games. Currently playing Red Dead Redemption in 4K, thanks to the recent update. Far Cry 5 in 4k is spectacular. Monster Hunter is amazing. Looking forward State of Decay 2. I love my X and don't miss my PS4 at all.

Edited on by SuperWeird

SuperWeird

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Read those two comments above mine, and let that sink in for a while.

And then go to the store and buy yourself an Xbox One X and never look back...

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

Nintendo Network ID: ThanosReXX

Dezzy

X is just too expensive. I'd never buy a games console at that price, especially when it's just offering hardware improvement rather than exclusive games. Better off just putting the same money towards a good PC.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX @Dezzy .....and so the great debate continues.

Though I find myself playing less multiplats again. Nintendo/Sony are keeping me busy on exclusives and good 3rd parties, and I stocked up on a few during the good winter PSN sales....so I'm in that comfortable backlog territory keeping me from yearning for the latest again Until June anyway....

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@Dezzy And yet, people would still buy a PS4 Pro for the hardware improvements, with it's faux, checker-board 4K shenanigans, when these literally pale in comparison with the X's actual 4K resolutions.

And besides the improvements in three generations of games (current, Xbox 360 AND OG Xbox), there's obviously also the much better backward compatibility, and contrary to popular belief, there are more than enough exclusives, especially if you aren't, or don't want to be a PC gamer, and this is exactly what it is about: not everybody wants to buy a game PC, or sit at a desk to play games.

Consoles are about convenience, being all-in-one boxes, and having a good mix of performance and comfort. You could make a PC setup work in the same way, but it would be more costly than an X, which can now be bought for around $450 - $499, which is a bit cheaper than what you would have to pay for a decent gaming PC, which starts at around $500 minimum and only goes up from there, depending on your wishes. And when the holidays arrive, the price of the X will only go further down, so before the end of this year has come, it'll probably cost around $385 - $400.

And needless to say that, because of them often being sold in bundles, this price also includes a couple of games, and what is probably one of the best controllers ever made. When buying a gaming PC, that minimum of $500 does NOT include games or controllers, so that expense will also have to be added, making the additional purchase already at least $100 - $150 more expensive on top of the system itself.

And even though at that price, the PC is obviously more powerful than any console is, that's not what it's about, as I already explained earlier. For most gamers, consoles are the right mix. A good, relatively high end experience, but without all the hassle that especially PC gaming newcomers might come across.

Even as an experienced PC gamer, I sometimes still come across some issues, although admittedly small, that are relatively easy to solve IF you know where to look and/or if you know what you're doing, but for most mainstream gamers, a console is simply the better/easier option.

And as for those exclusives, the list may not be ridiculously large, but there definitely is a lot of quality stuff in there:
(list also includes a couple of upcoming games)

Halo series
Halo Wars series
Forza series
Forza Horizon series
Sea of Thieves or any other Rare game
Gears of War series
Sunset Overdrive
Cuphead
Ori series
ReCore
Quantum Break
Titanfall series (although the second game was also released on PS4, it's still better on the X)
Dead Rising series
State of Decay 2
D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
Crimson Dragon
Project Spark
Ryse: Son of Rome
Screamride
Powerstar Golf
Zoo Tycoon series
Crackdown 3
Killer Instinct
Deep Rock Galactic
Black Desert Online
Super Lucky's Tale
Ashen
The Last Night
The Darwin Project

And arguably, PUBG is also still an Xbox One exclusive, if you don't play games on PC or on a smart device.

But of course, depending on personal preferences/likes/interests, there is always a chance that only a handful of those titles are interesting to someone, but then again: the same goes for the exclusives on the other platforms.

Far as I can see, there are more than enough exclusives to choose from, and coupled with the excellent backward compatibility, best visuals and performance of ALL consoles, and Microsoft's still superior online service and free games initiatives (Games with Gold and Game Pass), the Xbox One X really is the best choice if you're truly interested in getting the most out of a console.

So, performance-wise and service-wise, it easily wins the race, and it's exclusives might be small in number, but certainly nothing to scoff at. That being said, if either Sony's or Nintendo's exclusives are more interesting to someone, then that would obviously be the way to go instead.

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

'The console wars are like boobs: Sony and Microsoft fight over which ones look the nicest and Nintendo's are the most fun to play with.'

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Oh, that's only 6 weeks away, and by then, we've all already gone mad about all those E3 rumors...

But after that storm has died down, I'll be sure to get back to you about that Xbox One X...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX We'll have all been bound in straight jackets due to Pokemania by then

But...yeah....it's on the radar (unless a PS5 is announced....I don't expect it yet though.)

NEStalgia

Dezzy

@ThanosReXXX

Yes I realise the equivalent PC would cost more. My current PC is actually pretty much on par with the base PS4 in terms of graphical capability, and it DID cost more than the PS4. But it's also doing other things so that extra cost is accounted for.

What I said would be true for the PS4 pro as well. There's no way I'd ever buy one of those. The benefits of something like that are so minimal to me, especially given that I play all my games on a monitor with 1080p resolution.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Ah, yes. Pokémon Switch. Or Project Beluga, as it is called for now... The suspense surrounding that title is sure to land some gamers a one-way ticket to the loony bin, for sure...

Although I do play them and own Red, Blue and Yellow for the Game Boy, Stadium 1 and 2 for the N64, Gale of Darkness and Colosseum for the GameCube and Battle Revolution on the Wii, I've only ever found them mildly entertaining.

Yeah, I know, sounds kind of contradictory, but it's true. I'm just that kind of person that also buys the games that belong with or define a system, if only to complete the collection of wanna-haves/must-haves...

@Dezzy There's still benefits, though: you can still see the difference between a 1080p game displayed on a 1080p TV screen, or a 4K game, even though you won't benefit to the full extent. It's not all about resolution, but also about effects, shaders and smoothness of the games, and those are obviously better on the more capable system.

As for me mentioning the PS4 Pro: didn't mean to imply that you had one or would buy one, but the general populace does, and they also use the excuse of the exclusives, and then there are some dumb individuals that actually seem to think that the Pro is actually better or at least on par with the X, which obviously is not the case...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX You know, I came so close to finally buying the XBone....but the more I analyze it....I still can't justify it. Unlike Dezzy I do happen to like a lot of Sony's 1st party exclusives, and MS not so secretly doesn't have much there, and I realized that I've collected a good volume of third party games on PSN sales and cheaper discs.....so if I add another console, a lot of my most interest inducing games I already own on PS4 and won't re-buy, and if I start buying some between the two, I'm just splitting my library between two platforms, taking one nice feature of console away (everything in one place.) Comparing sales, for now, it looks like both platforms have the same or similar sales from third parties these days, too (I picked up RotR on sale on PSN, then realized it would be better on XBone...but, is the same price this week, and do I really want to split the library?) Laziness? Sure. But that's why I buy consoles to begin with. Managing 3 platforms just gets ungainly. If PSN sales stop being so competitive though, the equation shifts.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@NEStalgia Well, all I did was give my honest opinion, combined with being a very satisfied customer of Microsoft and both their service and their console, but in the end, it's obviously still up to you, and if you don't think it's worth it, then that's fine by me, so we're all good.

I do suppose that it's not going to be a game PC either then? Because that was the original question, and that also doesn't offer much exclusive titles on top of what you already have.

For me personally, it would always be the Xbox, even if I didn't hate Sony. I find a PC too cumbersome for comfortable game playing, and I'm not really all that interested in most of Sony's exclusives, except for maybe one or two titles I'd like to play, but that's not enough for me to justify buying a new console for.

With the Xbox One X on the other hand, you might not have a very big roster of exclusives, but you DO have the best performance in general, and the best looking versions of those third party titles, the best and most versatile backward compatibility, the best online service AND the best controller.

All those factors combined is what would most definitely trigger me personally every time.

And I wouldn't be re-buying any new titles at all, I would keep those for the console I'd already own, and I would simply buy newer titles for the new console, so that wouldn't be an issue either. And neither would I feel bad about having to split the library. That's no trouble at all. Whether the disc is for the Xbox or for the Playstation wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

And I'm managing well over 3 platforms (6 in total, counting all the older gen consoles I still have connected) and it is anything but ungainly. Stress only occurs if we let it...

So, to me, the logical conclusion is that if prices are the same on both platforms, but one of the two is the better platform, then I'd obviously buy it for the better platform. Provided I owned it, obviously, so that's the only caveat here...

Anyway, I'll get out of your hair for now. Wouldn't want to come across as some kind of persuasion artist...

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX Yeah, I'm probably sidestepping a third overall platform at this point....I went hog wild on some sales and it locked me into the one platform more than I was But, yeah, it's an easier question for you, since we'd have to reverse it for you: If you didn't hate Sony, and liked their exclusives, would it be a pain to add an extra platform to your X1/Nintendo? Probably!

If I were just starting out AND didn't want access to the Sony exclusives, yeah, I'd probably pick X1. But it makes things a lot more complicated when you do like Sony exclusives (Still saving Persona 5 for a rainy day....), and Nintendo's, so you end up on 2....and then you look at X1 (or PC) as the "but then the better version of the multiplats" platform. Tempting BEFORE buying it. But when I go over the process in my head of "which game is on which platform, wait which port on my HDMI switch is that one on...." my head starts to spin.

Hands down on the controllers though. I still loathe Sony controllers and had to buy a $100 wired controller to make me not hate playing on it.

BTW the library split issue is more abut the digital library. Both the freebies, and, with both platforms the sales on older games make digital buys a better value at times, especially for games I'm curious about but know I wouldn't want to play again on a future B/C supporting system, or games with an online requirement (most everything from Ubisoft now, sadly.....B/C is meaningless for them.... ) Kind of addictive to swap between games on the fly. Been stacking up on cool stuff for under $15

I'm not out of the race permanently....want to see what happens at E3 for both (Fable announcement sells me, full stop. ) But for now I'm thinking "Why am I looking at $400-500 + $60/yr for an X1 when I have like 20 games for PS4n & Switch piled up that I'd be playing first anyway?" Every time I get "An error has occurred with your transaction" on the PSN cart, though, or a download that takes 10 hours and should take 30 minutes on PS I keep thinking "why am I still using this?!" But then I look at the stack of exclusives I want to play....

Maybe Sony will screw over their PS4 Pro customers and announce the PS4 Pro Professional Edition (an X1X clone) in June. Then we can all jump to MS without guilt.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

NEStalgia wrote:

If you didn't hate Sony, and liked their exclusives, would it be a pain to add an extra platform to your X1/Nintendo? Probably!

No, that's where you're wrong. I made that point already: if I didn't hate them, AND there would be more than one or two titles that I would wish to play, then I could easily justify to myself buying the console, and I more than likely would. But for only one or two games? Nah... Wouldn't do that for a Nintendo or Microsoft console either, so I'm objective enough on that front.

HDMI connections: not a problem at all. Got an HDMI hub to connect all the current and last gen consoles, and my media player and set top box.

And stay in that boat, I'm counting on a price reduction on the X before this year is over, and by then, it will once again become a more enticing platform for you to reconsider. Even if it only has about 30 big exclusives, although if you count the exclusive indies, we could rack that up to about a hundred, and how many games would you really want to play anyway? I'd be perfectly fine with those 30 exclusives on any console. Heck, Nintendo also doesn't have that many, so what are we even talking about here?

As for Sony: they'll probably announce something about the PS5 at this year's E3 or at another convention some time thereafter. It will launch in 2020, and it will only be marginally better than the X, but it'll still have the lesser online service, lesser backward compatibility and the lesser controller, so still not a viable option for people with a decidedly broader taste than just the exclusive titles...

Edited on by ThanosReXXX

redd214

@ThanosReXXX I doubt Sony would reveal the ps5 at this year's e3. They really have no reason to. They are by far the market leader and even with the XB1X being the most powerful it still doesn't seem to be making g a huge dent in their lead this gen. Makes no sense for them to strike first on the next generation if you think about it.

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 That's why I said they could possibly mention something about it on E3, or during some other event, later this year. I never said they would reveal the console.

And a lot of rumors are saying that it's coming around 2020, so if that is even remotely true, then starting to talk about it roughly two years in advance really isn't all that unthinkable. And they are in the lead now, but they HAVE to react to the X, and to future plans that Microsoft will have, and the ONLY way to do that now, is to strike first.

They got lucky this generation, because Microsoft made a MASSIVE mistake with their launch, and Sony stepped in after having streamlined their own offering, which actually originally also contained a motion camera and was heavily DRM and always online infected, but they removed all that and by doing that, they were able to go $100 under the launch price of the Xbox One, and sadly, the rest is history...

redd214

@ThanosReXXX yeah I hear what you're saying my main point is that I think it would be very unwise to show their hand first in regards to the next generation with such a substantial lead. They didn't really start officially talking about the ps4 until I think 9 months before release and Ms similar. I think even talking about a system 2 years out while not unthinkable, would be kinda foolish. I do wish the xb1 had a better launch though, they really shot themselves in the foot in a lot of ways. Hope the have a big E3, I do eventually think I will get a xb1 but there's only a handful of games that I can't get elsewhere. Perhaps this is the year they give me a solid reason to give them money lol!

Edited on by redd214

redd214

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 They certainly did, and it was a shame, indeed. I'm very happy with my Xbox One, and I think it's a nice console. As for that reveal/announce time scale: if you look back at all the various E3's, more than one console has been announced and/or mentioned well over a year before it's actual launch, so I wouldn't dismiss it happening so easily.

The Wii U, although a bad example in this case, was also revealed almost 1,5 years before launch. But looking at the other consoles, announcing them more than a year before the official reveal once simply used to be the norm: the GameCube was announced in May 1999, and released in September 2001. the Playstation 2 was announced in March 1999, and released in October 2000. The original Xbox was announced by Bill Gates himself mid 2000, and then released in November 2001, so also well over a year in advance. Only in the generations after that, did they shorten the reveal/release window.

redd214

@ThanosReXXX I mean yeah but all those examples (outside of wii u) are from almost 2 decades ago before a million gaming websites/youtube/Twitter etc. Doubt that would fly nowadays with the impatience/immediacy mindset many have today. I think 6-9 months maybe a year at max would work. Look at how Nintendo did it with the Switch less tan 6 months from first official reveal until release. I think that just works better in current times.

redd214

NEStalgia

@ThanosReXXX You're learning my bad habits of not tagging replies

I can't see a WISE Sony announcing a new console this year.....but....Sony's drunk on power right now, so wisdom may be out the door. I think they'd make some enemies going that route. Exciting! Yeah, if the 1X gets a good price drop, it could become very interesting (interested to see what happens next Black Friday. 1S was bargain basement last year!)

I don't see Sony having to keep up with X1X (if they're wise.) They have the industry in their palm because they have the game content behind their locked gates, and MS has little game content locked behind their gates. Meanwhile the "mainstream" X1 is still inferior to the "mainstream" PS4 even for multiplats (in terms of performance, not controllers/online ). Not sure they need to jump into PS5 just due to the battle of the premium models, just yet, until premium starts overtaking baseline. For now X1X is surely the better premium machine.....but how many outside a niche will buy the better premium machine instead of the premium machine with those blockbuster games locked behind it in the next year or two? Part of me wonders if an X1X2 "Premium-er" model will be dumped when Sony announces PS5, just to take the hardware title back. Especially if Sony blunders the announce. Which they will. Because the company in control, be it Sony, MS, Nintendo, or Sega, ALWAYS blunders their announcement.

NEStalgia

ThanosReXXX

@redd214 I know, and I'm not saying that this is how it will happen, but I am saying that it isn't outside of the realm of possibilities. It's not like gamers make the rules concerning how things should happen or not, so what they want or need is hardly of any importance to companies, contrary to popular belief.

And if the rumors keep growing, they would simply HAVE to react, either to silence the rumors, or to not lose the advantage of surprise if they do have something up their sleeves, which they probably will.

But enough talk of Sony. This isn't the right thread for that, after all...

So, to get back on topic, but still stay on point with our discussion, how about the Xbox One X's announcement and release, then? Also well over a year in advance... (and that is not because they were behind Sony, so their current position is beside the point)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic