Forums

Topic: The Witcher 3: early 2015 GOTY?

Posts 1 to 20 of 40

sub12

Holy wow, this game is amazing, the movement can be a bit stiff, but the atmosphere, quests, world, and narrative are all unbelievable, easily one of the best games I've played in years, and probably one of the pillar titles of this decade alongside The Last of Us, GTA V, Skyrim, etc. CD Projekt Red deserves a ton of kudos.

Any thoughts on the game thus far?

sub12

Blast

I wish I had the game
My friend complained how it was boring in the beginninh and the combat was very bad. She's disappointed so far.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

DefHalan

I didn't like the Witcher 2 and my friend that got Witcher 3. When I complained about how clunky Witcher 2 was he got upset and said it was supposed to be and that made my interest in Witcher 3 drop hard as it probably isn't much better.

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

CanisWolfred

This game hasn't even been a blip on my radar...just like the "GOTY" games of the last 2 or 3 years...gaming sure has changed...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

Witcher 3 is one of those games that is fantastic that I would probably only mildly enjoy.

But to be fair, what actually big titles have actually been even close to remotely GOTY worthy? I mean, there's been Bloodbourne, Monster Hunter 4 if that counts...um....er...um.........................

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

CaviarMeths

I'll buy the GOTY edition next year on Steam for $30 or whatever. Too much stuff to play at the moment anyway.

But yeah, it's current competition is... Bloodborne...

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

moomoo

I got it recently, and it is blowing my mind as well. It reminds me a lot of GTA V in that every sidequest seems crafted with care, at least the ones I've played so far. At first I thought I was doing a simple killing mission when I accepted to kill a ghost at a well. I go over there and find that I have observe the parameters of the location to find a diary, then explore a well to find a belonging of the previously deceased, then go back up to burn the corpse with the bracelet I found so that when I fight the thing it actually dies. It's a level of nuance in a genre that is plagued with sidequests that are sort of just there. If every sidequest in the game is like this, it'll be a benchmark that'll be tough to follow.

At first the combat felt a little weird to me, but now that it has clicked (thanks to some upgrades like deflecting arrows, as well as learning the ins and outs of each spell) I've found it to be a rewarding battle system. It destroys other open world RPGs in terms of how fun it is. And don't get me started on how detailed the world is despite being open world. I have yet to find a building I can't walk into.

So yeah, it's easily my favorite game of the year so far. Granted, it's the only game I've played of the year so far (minus Final Fantasy Type 0 HD, which I got for the FFXV demo), and from what I've heard, all that's there to compete is Bloodborne. I haven't played that yet (waiting for my birthday in a couple months), but two games ain't exactly saying a lot. Actually, scratch that, I got Geometry Wars 3, and it's a lot of fun. But it's not exactly a GOTY kind of game.

For what it's worth, the upcoming games this year are looking really promising. Especially MGS V. If that game lives up to half its potential... Xenoblade too, if that somehow releases this year. Oh, and Persona V.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

Peach64

moomoo wrote:

I got it recently, and it is blowing my mind as well. It reminds me a lot of GTA V in that every sidequest seems crafted with care, at least the ones I've played so far. At first I thought I was doing a simple killing mission when I accepted to kill a ghost at a well. I go over there and find that I have observe the parameters of the location to find a diary, then explore a well to find a belonging of the previously deceased, then go back up to burn the corpse with the bracelet I found so that when I fight the thing it actually dies. It's a level of nuance in a genre that is plagued with sidequests that are sort of just there. If every sidequest in the game is like this, it'll be a benchmark that'll be tough to follow.

At first the combat felt a little weird to me, but now that it has clicked (thanks to some upgrades like deflecting arrows, as well as learning the ins and outs of each spell) I've found it to be a rewarding battle system. It destroys other open world RPGs in terms of how fun it is. And don't get me started on how detailed the world is despite being open world. I have yet to find a building I can't walk into.

So yeah, it's easily my favorite game of the year so far. Granted, it's the only game I've played of the year so far (minus Final Fantasy Type 0 HD, which I got for the FFXV demo), and from what I've heard, all that's there to compete is Bloodborne. I haven't played that yet (waiting for my birthday in a couple months), but two games ain't exactly saying a lot. Actually, scratch that, I got Geometry Wars 3, and it's a lot of fun. But it's not exactly a GOTY kind of game.

For what it's worth, the upcoming games this year are looking really promising. Especially MGS V. If that game lives up to half its potential... Xenoblade too, if that somehow releases this year. Oh, and Persona V.

I agree with this so much. What has really stood out to me is the quality of the quests. Usually such a huge open world can rely on repeating a few simple quest types, but that's certainly not the case here.

Probably my favourite game of the year so far, but there's been some good competition from Bloodborne, Pillars of Eternity, and Kerbal Space Program. Just a month to go for Arkham Knight too.

Peach64

MajinSoul

DefHalan wrote:

I didn't like the Witcher 2 and my friend that got Witcher 3. When I complained about how clunky Witcher 2 was he got upset and said it was supposed to be and that made my interest in Witcher 3 drop hard as it probably isn't much better.

I love Witcher 2, but the combat is insanely clunky. Witcher 3's combat is miles better though. It's actually really good.

So far Witcher 3 is a blast. The game looks stunning and as mentioned before, the sidequests are awesome. No generic kill/fetch quests. I'm only 13 hours in so far though, so that could change later in the game.

MajinSoul

Nintendo Network ID: UtoKid | Twitter:

Kai_

I own Witcher 2 but found it rather clunky to play on PC, coupled with lag, so I never got round to playing it much, but I just got 3 on PS4, and I'm enjoying it so far. The world really feels alive, just watching the trees blowing in the wind is cool. I haven't found many quests yet, but as others have said, the ones I have done were interesting and well done.
The combat still hasn't convinced me entirely but it's certainly better than what I played of in the second game.

Kai_

3DS Friend Code: 0989-2471-3448

OutCold

I have only played the 1st Witcher and it was alright, never had a desire to play 2 or 3 now. I just hope CD Projekt Red is working Cyberpunk 2077 now and I don't care how long it takes if It turns out amazing.

the unattainable is unknown at zombo com
MH4U/MHG/MHW: Guts
~ close eyes, perceive with mind ~

sub12

OutCold wrote:

I have only played the 1st Witcher and it was alright, never had a desire to play 2 or 3 now. I just hope CD Projekt Red is working Cyberpunk 2077 now and I don't care how long it takes if It turns out amazing.

Hmm, the general consensus seems to be that 2 was a sizeable improvement over 1, and that 3 is a sizeable improvement over the 2nd.......so I would give it a try, I don't even like fantasy action-RPG's.......but this one is great.

sub12

Ralizah

I'm sure I'll play it one day. I'm more worried about acquainting myself with the Dragon Age series first. After I play through DA:O, DA2, and DA:I, I'll play through the first two Witcher games. It'll probably take me a few years to get to this one. Oh well, at least it should be pretty cheap by the time I get to it.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

sub12

I would just skip 1 and 2 and go into 3, I've never played either, yet it was pretty easy to get immersed into the world and understand the plotlines.

sub12

Faruko

It sure looks like it

The sidequest are easily the best ever created and the world its amazing

The combat its not perfect but once you get used to it, its pretty fun !

Novigrad side quest could easily make a whole game alone

Edited on by Faruko

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

ogo79

lol one of my coworkers bought that limited edition with the statue.

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

Faruko

Witcher 1 was godlike but wasnt meant for everyone, the combat was clunky but it was a mature RPG and a very good one at it, it was something different at the time, the world building (just like Witcher 2 and 3) was amazing and the whole gray area of sidequest was done really well. Its a hard game to get into thou

It wasnt a fully open world game but it had its fair of it, it was a lot more linear, something witcher 3 gets stupidly right, you never lose sight of what you are actually doing it (remind me of Xenoblade).

3 > 2 > 1, but thats only because 2 and 3 are some of the best RPG games.

Edited on by Faruko

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

moomoo

I've put several more hours into it, and I'm starting to think this is one of the finest games I've ever played.

At first I thought it couldn't live up to its stellar opening, but instead the game has gotten even better and bigger. The size and scope of the game is staggering, and that its as detailed and engaging as it is simply astounds me. This was the kind of game I thought of when I imagined the new kind of games that would come about from a new generation.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

sub12

moomoo wrote:

I've put several more hours into it, and I'm starting to think this is one of the finest games I've ever played.

At first I thought it couldn't live up to its stellar opening, but instead the game has gotten even better and bigger. The size and scope of the game is staggering, and that its as detailed and engaging as it is simply astounds me. This was the kind of game I thought of when I imagined the new kind of games that would come about from a new generation.

lol, I have also had the same thought.....10 years ago you would have dreamed about a game like this, thinking that it could have never been a possibility.

This is gaining ground as one of the finest titles I have ever played as well.

sub12

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.