Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 8,661 to 8,680 of 16,083

NEStalgia

@redd214 Yeah, the dreary atmosphere certainly doesn't help. I'm not (even slightly) a horror fan. I avoid the genre at all costs, though Borne doesn't really seem like horror to me. As someone that found Jurassic Park a little too disturbing at times, that kind of says a lot about how generally bland the environment is And it's a "pretty" dreary world. I can almost get into its heavily ruined victorian-gothic aesthetic. But it's lack of differentiation doesn't draw me in. The learning curve feels less "steep" than it does "disjointed", and I haven't even really encountered terrible difficulty at least since getting that axe I was handed in the dream (thanks random internet dude, if that's where it came from!)...but I'm an MH fan (I didn't say I'm good at it...at all....but I'm a fan) so I'm used to the concept of difficult battle. But where MH makes me thrill for the hunt and feel like I'm taking down a beast because I'm awesome, even if I fail....so far, Borne just makes me want to mash buttons like a brawler till I get bored, all while feeling like there's no reason for doing so. MH says to take down the dragon. For the hunt. For the parts. For the glory, and it inspires. Borne says "go somewhere that looks like the other somewhere but is behind a gate I somehow can't climb, go do stuff, you'll probably kill nondescript things because I don't know..." The setup is just different. And the frustrating thing is it FEELS like it had so much more potential....a lot could have been done with that world and concept and it feels like I'm playing the concept board from a meeting room. It's almost like an indie game with stellar visuals.

@caniswolfred I haven't tried the Order yet. It's on my to do. I know it was panned heavily. Somehow that seems like it has more character though. In a way I realize that's just From's style...but I find it a hard style to absorb. I find Kojima's style hard to absorb as well though. In a way that's the problem, I don't feel like a bad*** monster hunter. Nor does everything feel horrifying. It's just kind of "there". if it were horrifying I wouldn't be able to stomach trying to play it, I'd ignore it as not for me. But it really doesn't. I kind of feel like I'm floating and not particularly strong, and there's monsters, like an NES game, but without the fun. The way you describe it is the way I IMAGINED it would be (and wouldn't be for me as a result.) Instead it's just kind of...IDK...Generic? Uniquely generic?

NEStalgia

Octane

So I went back to Gravity Rush 2, and I did the last chapter, the secret chapter? I don't know what that was about. The one the game doesn't tell you about and happens after the credits roll. I'm glad I'm done with that game lol. I liked Gravity Rush quite a lot, but the more I played of 2, the more I started to dislike it. Pointless side quests, aggravating combat, weird camera and controls around the giant boss fights. And the story still doesn't make any sense. The first game is still the best I think.

Octane

NEStalgia

@Octane That's disappointing to hear, I was really looking forward to the sequel (which I haven't yet played.) I loved the first one on Vita and am enjoying the second run through on PS4, though it's not as inspiring as it was some 6 years ago.

NEStalgia

Octane

@NEStalgia It's one of those 7/10 games. I don't think it's bad, and the core concept is great, but there's a bunch of thing holding it back. Then again, I used to love Okami, or so I thought, until I played it again on PS4 last year, and I noticed that the first few hours are an absolute drag. Maybe I'm getting too old and grumpy?

Octane

CanisWolfred

@NEStalgia I think it's fair to say "you don't get it" and just move on. Mostly because I feel like we've played completely different games at this point. I mean...I really don't "get" what how you came to the conclusions you did from playing it. Then again, I played the entire game with the starter weapon...which is totally viable, and even preferable at times...

Plus, I'm more shocked at Octane at this point. Old and grumpy indeed...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

JoyBoy

Bloodborne sounds like a game I would absolutely love. I adore exploring, I appreciate being taken seriously and love being left alone doing my own stuff and figure things out for myself by trying(dying).

Darksouls 3 is my very first souls/borne game. Though for some the controls may feel sluggish (many say the same about MH) For me it’s great, it feels deliberate and there is weight to it. I love there’s no map. They force me to look around in the actual game, look at the world and take it all in.
Also this game brings a level of focus out of me that few games manage to do. This will definitely differentiate between different personalities and what not. But when I play this game, I’m 100% concentrated, which is also the state in which I’m most happy.

I get that these are “simple” games. For some even depressing haha. But I’m also aware it’s a “feels” thing. If you really like something you point out the reasons why you love it but the other person will use those same “reasons” to explain why they hate it. For me, these games FEEL good.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

NEStalgia

@Octane Nah, not old and grumpy. Those older games tend to feel older when they're old and we have already played them. We remember how revolutionary they were when they were new. If we didn't play them we can appreciate them being "great with some quirks of an older game". But if we did play it we expect it to feel as great as it did the first time, when we've been treated to more refined experiences since, so it's not going to feel as smooth. The cracks feel larger. Gravity Rush 1, this time, I see SOOO much wasted fetch quest, "just hit every marker on the map" gameplay that feels kind of inane and wasteful. But at the time, that was 6 years ago, open world design was much rougher, and that was one of the smoothest implementations. And it was all on a handheld! It was amazing. Now with BotW, Odyssey, Skyrim on Switch, a clunky 6 year old portable minded game with a by the numbers open world feels more like a checklist. It was still wonderful though. Just not as wonderful as that first run on Vita.

@CanisWolfred Playing the game with the starter weapon sounds great. What's not great is when you don't start with a weapon, have no idea where or how to get a weapon, and the only indicator that there even ARE weapons in the game at all is there's a slot for it on the inventory menu (after you figure out for yourself where that is.) In your LoZ esample there was one door on the screen which gives you a mental lead of where to go....and a man hands you a sword. It's kind of self defining. This game threw me in a room with a werewolf thingie and no weapon of any kind at all, and when I died re-spawned me somewhere different. It didn't take much to find the only grave I could interact with which takes me back to the room with the werewolf thingie, but didn't tell me how to find a weapon. I still don't know if getting the weapon I got was an intended part of the game, or help from the internet. I made it out of the room by re-spawning and punching the werewolf thingy to death over a dozen or so re-spawns before getting the weapon. I really hope the game didn't expect me to Hadouken my way through the first enemy. Unless, again, my save has a bug and I missed some important stuff involving the old man (which I never met.) I got my weapon by randomly talking to all of the "spirit" things climbing from the ground, which seem to be an online component. No idea if that's the starter weapon or a gift, or what. It was just given to me by randomly clicking on them, and then wasn't equipped until I figured out handedness of "trick weapons" in the menu (and that "trick weapons" are indeed not "cursed weapons I shouldn't equip." Maybe I played too much Baldur's Gate back in the day?)

It might be an RTFM issue. Ahh, remember when games came with a manual?

I almost get the feeling that it's a game meant for people that already played a Souls game, and if you haven't, you're going to be lost about what to do and by the time you start working it out, you've worn some of the wonderment out of the world.

NEStalgia

CanisWolfred

This game threw me in a room with a werewolf thingie and no weapon of any kind at all, and when I died re-spawned me somewhere different.

To be fair, that is the game's way of establishing a sense of helplessness and letting you know that death is not the end. Which is important to establish in a game where you're expected to die a lot. But I get it: You don't care for it. You didn't make it through the trial by fire, which at least let you know early on that it wasn't going to be the game for you.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Dezzy

These environments look incredible. Way more interesting than the first game's. Is it actually set in the same place? The first game looks like mostly desert. This one looks more alpine.

Untitled

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Grumblevolcano

According to the Official Playstation Blogcast, Sony's E3 will be focused on already known games and 3rd parties. Looks like PS5 may be 2019 after all.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Peek-a-boo

On one hand, the prospects of seeing an unedited and in-depth gameplay footage for Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, The Last of Us Part II and Spider-Man is certainly worth tuning in for however, it does suggest to me that Sony may well be spreading their releases out more evenly for other shows (Gamescom, Tokyo Game Show, Paris Games Week and the PS Experience).

On the other hand, the orchestra style live show is seemingly going away and in its place, they are having a presentation similar to the Nintendo Treehouse. It makes me wonder if there will be any surprises...

I sincerely hope we don’t see the next PlayStation until 2020, because the PlayStation 4 is still going strong, and the two mid-generation refreshers in both the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X has prolonged the life of those two systems a little bit longer than usual.

I may well be somewhat biased in saying this, especially as a PS4 Pro owner, but I am genuinely happy with how my games look and play ~ both Shadow of the Colossus and God of War looks incredible!

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

CanisWolfred

Grumblevolcano wrote:

According to the Official Playstation Blogcast, Sony's E3 will be focused on already known games and 3rd parties. Looks like PS5 may be 2019 after all.

Better not be. That'd be so dumb. PSVR requires PS4, PS4 pro is barely a year & a half old, and the system and its games are still selling gangbusters. Even if they're saving the announcement for 2019, I can't help but think they'd be jumping the gun.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

TuVictus

@CanisWolfred @Peek-a-boo Completely agree. With how things are going for them, I think it's way too early to predict a PS5 release. Especially cuz it still feels like we're at the peak of the generation. If I had my way, new consoles would still be like 2 years away at the very least.

TuVictus

Octane

Maybe it's just the result of them changing strategies. They basically have enough games to fill 2019 at this point with Days Gone, Ghost, TLOU and Death Stranding. Enough games for the first half of 2019 at least. So maybe they're adopting a Nintendo-like strategy, revealing games closer to their release dates. Here's a bit of context from the Ghost of Tsushima reveal last year:

Sucker Punch recently announced a new title during Paris Games Week called Ghost of Tsushima, and according to one PlayStation boss, the timing of the game's announcement was just right.

“I think the right thing to do ... and I think we're learning and a lot of publishers are learning ... there is a right time to announce games,” Denny told GameSpot.

“In the past, I think it's fair to say sometimes we announced games too early," he said. "And this is such a great project for Sucker Punch. It's a game they've always really wanted to make themselves. And I think it's the right time to announce that, and they've been working on that game for a long time now. There is great [playable version of the game] already. So we're just excited to let everybody know about it.”

So maybe it doesn't have anything to do with the PS5 considering they have plenty of unreleased games at this point. Why add even more?

Source: https://www.google.nl/amp/comicbook.com/gaming/amp/2017/11/27...

Octane

Ryu_Niiyama

While I would like to see more games at e3 from sony I am all for more spidy and ghosts as those are pretty much the only ps4 games I'm looking forward to right now.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Dezzy

@Grumblevolcano

Good, it's way too early for the PS5. I'd be happy waiting til 2021 to be honest.

I can understand why the console makers want to crank out more hardware constantly but I can't understand why any of the audience does?

KirbyTheVampire

I can't say I'm a big fan of Dark Souls or Bloodborne, either. I tried Dark Souls 3 and absolutely couldn't get past the Undead Village for the life of me, and the thought of just endlessly killing enemies and dying over and over in one of the most depressing and dreary game worlds ever was just disheartening, so I quit. I tried Bloodborne and was actually pretty into it for a while because it's actually possible for me to progress in unlike DS3, but I've hit the same wall. I just don't find the combat or the concept of clawing for the tiniest bit of progress very fun, and the world is just dreary and ugly. (Which is intentional and works for the type of game it is, I know). I just end up in a worse mood after I play those games than I am before I play them.

I can see why people like them, but endless punishment just isn't fun for me.

KirbyTheVampire

Dezzy

Dreary and ugly?

Dreary and beautiful maybe. This definitely can't count as ugly:

Untitled

Peek-a-boo

For those who go on to complete the likes of Dark Souls and Bloodborne will appreciate the interconnected ‘world’, and realise that the level design is an absolute masterclass in world building.

Although Dark Souls is more awe-inspiring when you first understand how its world comes together, I still audibly gasped when I went from the Forbidden Woods to Yharnam in Bloodborne; it is one of those really special moments for me, and is the reason why I love these games so much, along with the atmosphere, the combat, the subtle lore, the music and of course, the bosses!

If there’s one thing I wish Sony would do is to give Bloodborne a long overdue Pro patch...

Peek-a-boo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic