Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 6,601 to 6,620 of 16,083

Peek-a-boo

@Octane That’s true. If someone has experienced personal grief, however, then the story that Hellblade has to tell is (more) likely to affect you, which didn’t affect the reviewer since he could not relate to the subject matter.

If anything, it has made me more curious and eager to play the game!

As for Monster Hunter: World, if you follow the very same thread in the ‘other games’ folder, then I very much doubt there is anything new. One thing they are stressing is that it is Monster Hunter 5 in all but its name. They also mention that they’re happy to have a lot more power at their disposal to be able to create a Monster Hunter experience without the (portable) hardware restrictions of prior games.

Onto other news.

Although Sony will be setting up an entire hall of playable games booths at Gamescom in Cologne towards the end of this month, they won’t be presenting a conference like they did two years ago. Instead, after Tokyo Game Show in September, they shall attend and return to Paris Games Week:

Untitled

That’s four big shows in one year; E3, Tokyo Game Show, Paris Games Week and the PlayStation Experience.

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo I wonder what they're bringing to PGW. Their Japanese developed games will be at TGS, and PSX is not too long after their conference in Paris. I expect a few new trailer for some early 2018 stuff like SOTC, and maybe one or two surprises here and there. But I think the big stuff is going to be at PSX for sure.

Sucker Punch is working on something...

Octane

Dezzy

Peek-a-boo wrote:

p.s. The chap who played and reviewed Hellblade didn’t enjoy the story because he could not relate to its difficult subject matter, which is based upon personal grief. Wrong person to review the game, perhaps?

Isn't that what your imagination is supposed to be for?

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Octane

So... Okami HD. Looking forward to it!

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Ready to use that touchpad?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Haruki_NLI

@Octane Stupidly slim.

Givwn its also on Xbox One itll probably just be an up port of the PS3 game so use the sticks for painting.

Perdonally Id prefer some gyro action. Or a touchscreen. Or even a mouse. But no. We need to see how Monster Hunter does in Japan first

But hey. Okami HD HD. Okami HDer?

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

NEStalgia

@Peek-a-boo "They also mention that they’re happy to have a lot more power at their disposal to be able to create a Monster Hunter experience without the (portable) hardware restrictions of prior games."

What else were they going to say? "We got a bucket of cash and were told the big money Westerners love counting pixels, so this is what we made, nevermind that 70% of our player base will only play handheld games, we want that Western cash because we can't actually fund our games. USFII broke the bank for us!"

NEStalgia

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

we want that Western cash because we can't actually fund our games.

Seems very unlikely the PS4 game will make as much profit as their 3DS games have. Mostly just due to the lower Japanese install base. If it was gonna majorly take off in the west, it would've happened by now probably.

Peek-a-boo

Just finished a second play through of Until Dawn, thanks to being a part of PS+ last month.

Bearing in mind that I have already played it once almost two years ago (it came out at the end of August in 2015), I was surprised at how much I had forgotten over time and I was also equally surprised at just how completely different a second play through truly is.

I tried my best to save everybody, and I did! Only just though... after nearly falling for a horror trope whereby I was curious to investigate a noise that sounded like Jessica in the distance. Always stick together as a group, as the ‘Stranger’ says.

The choices you make in Until Dawn actually matter; I was surprised on my second play through with the numerous stuff I had never previously seen. Usually for interactive games like this, all you get is some very slight changes in dialogue or a different scene with the same-ish outcome, and that's about it.

Given that the game is two years old, the visuals are still some of the best on the PlayStation 4. Those conversations with the psychiatrist (played by the excellent Peter Stormare) are borderline uncanny valley, from his expressions, the lip-syncing and the way Dr. Hill’s skin stretches as he speaks.

I do thoroughly hope Supermassive Games goes back and do another Until Dawn style game. There’s nothing quite like it and it would be a shame if it ends up being the first and last attempt of this sort of experience.

On a side note, has there ever been a redemption of a character as big as Mike? Absolutely loathed him at the start. I even picked him as my least favourite male character in the early psychiatrist session however, by the end of the game, he ended up being one of the best characters!

Untitled

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Haru17

More salty Monster Hunter (but really Nintendo) fans in this thread. What a displeasure.

Anyway, what's the point of Okami HD remaster if half of that game is 2D assets and billboarding? I mean if you're going to replace that stuff with full 3D-rendered trees that the PS2 couldn't pull off, great, but rereleases usually never go that far. Okami HD on the PS3 was an ugly version of that game where the 2D foliage was constantly popping in very close to your character. The game looked good on Wii, but with simplistic art styles like this you have to be perfect, and 'perfect' is a lot different in HD than in SD. For one, the Amaterasu model has to be redone. I don't want anymore jagged cel shaded 'brushstrokes,' smooth them out. A lot of the characters could use more definition in their faces so they were smooth, albeit mouthless. I guess it's good for Xbox players who've never gotten the game? I don't know...

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

@CanisWolfred The PS2 / Wii version does anyway, but if they're going to rerelease Okami again it needs better modeling.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Octane

I think I need to see it first. Maybe I got a little too excited after seeing what Bluepoint did to Shadow of the Colossus. It's a huge improvement. Not sure if Capcom will do the same, but we shall see.

Octane

Ralizah

Peek-a-boo wrote:

p.s. The chap who played and reviewed Hellblade didn’t enjoy the story because he could not relate to its difficult subject matter, which is based upon personal grief. Wrong person to review the game, perhaps?

I mean, grief is a pretty universal experience. If he hasn't experienced it at all, he's living a pretty charmed life.

Also, one shouldn't have to have personal experience with the subject matter to discuss its portrayal. It's not as if loss and mental illness are these weird, alien things you can't understand unless you have some experience with them.

Sounds like a waste of a review. Why do we care what these people think again?

Also, I wouldn't give it a 4 if only because of the innovative sound design.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Dezzy

Ralizah wrote:

Also, one shouldn't have to have personal experience with the subject matter to discuss its portrayal. It's not as if loss and mental illness are these weird, alien things you can't understand unless you have some experience with them.

Here's one you definitely can't understand until you've experienced it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosopagnosia

Ryu_Niiyama

Octane wrote:

So... Okami HD. Looking forward to it!

I gotta stop buying this game. Hope there is a physical version.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Octane

@Ryu_Niiyama I only own the infamous Wii version, so it's not that bad. If it's €60 for a remaster, I'm definitely going to wait for a price drop.

Octane

Peek-a-boo

Looks like Uncharted: The Lost Legacy is another hit!

Sony must have felt rather confidence with this to lift the review embargo a whole week early.

GameSpot - 9

The initial hours of The Lost Legacy give an "Uncharted Greatest Hits" vibe, but it grows into a more nuanced, clever experience, ranking among the best in the series while also making its own mark as a standalone Uncharted that isn't anchored to Nathan Drake's harrowing exploits.

God is a Geek - 10

The game is yet another masterpiece from Naughty Dog, and it goes to show we don’t need Nathan Drake to make a great adventure greater.

USgamer - 9

The balanced pacing is key to The Lost Legacy, reckoning more in common with Uncharted 2 and 3 than its slower successor. The Lost Legacy is an Uncharted game through and through. If you liked Uncharted 4, you'll definitely like this.

I simply cannot wait until next Wednesday!

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@Dezzy Well, I could think of ones that are even harder to imagine experiencing, like Aboulomania or Synesthesia. That's not my point. My point is that, even if I can't understand what it's like specifically to be schizophrenic, I've had my life touched by people who have had it, along with people who are afflicted with other mental illnesses. I have some experience with it, even if it's second-hand experience. Chances are most people had had their lives touched by grief and/or mental illness in some way. Which leads me to wonder how charmed the reviewer's life must be if he can't relate to the subject matter in any way. And even if he has lived a supremely sheltered life, is he missing empathy to the degree that he isn't moved by the portrayal of someone struggling with something like a psychosis and personal loss?

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic