Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 6,581 to 6,600 of 16,084

Peek-a-boo

August is supposed to be the calm before the storm (from September until Christmas), but you wouldn’t know it if you looked at what is coming out on the PlayStation 4 this week alone!

Untitled

If time stood still for a month, I would buy Cities Skylines, Matterfall, Nidhogg 2, Sonic Mania and Undertale.

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo Definitely play Undertale if you didn't do so on PC. It's short-ish and a really fantastic experience overall.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Peek-a-boo

@Ralizah Actually, I am finding myself playing Yooka Laylee as we speak!

I booted my PlayStation 4 up this morning to have a quick play on SUPERHOT, and I noticed that there was an update for Yooka Laylee. I have got to hand it to Playtonic Games because the controls feel tighter, and the camera is now much more ‘free’. There are a couple of QoL differences too, like showing us the remaining amount of Pagies to collect, as well as displaying level tick boxes (objectives) and statistics more clearly.

I don’t think I will go on and collect everything, but I shall try and see the credits roll after enduring Capital B one too many times with an atrociously limited camera angle along with having to go through not one, not two but seven phases without being able to heal yourself!

As for Undertale, I’ll definitely buy it at a later date.

I just really don’t want to kickstart a backlog going into the oft-crazy run up to Christmas, and I already have the trio of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, the Life Is Strange prequel and Last Day of June pre-ordered too.

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@Peek-a-boo If you do one of the routes. Like a VN, the proper way to play this (imo, of course) is to go after all three endings in one go. It's what I did, and I almost never replay games. If you optimize your playthrough from the get-go, you actually only have to play through the game fully twice to get all the endings, and the two playthroughs are vastly different experiences (one is like playing a modern version of Earthbound, whereas the other is like playing the monster in a horror movie) (not a huge spoiler, but I don't want anybody fussing at me about discussing one of the game's most notable routes without spoiler tags).

A full playthrough takes between 15 - 20 hours.

It sounds like Playtonic has been hard at work improving YL as an experience, which is nice. By the time it hits the Switch is should be a fairly polished game.

I liked it before, even if its incredibly unpolished state, so I'm looking forward to getting a proper full playthrough going on my hybrid!

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

Ralizah wrote:

So around 5 hours for me in that case

Octane

Peek-a-boo

Octane wrote:

Ralizah wrote:

So, around 5 hours for me in that case

Untitled

@Ralizah Pardon my ignorance, but what is a ‘VN’?

I shall play Undertale blind first time round, then see what I may have missed out afterwards.

Peek-a-boo

Ralizah

@Octane Sure, if you speedrun this like you apparently do Pokemon games.

Although it is true I take longer doing things than most other people. I take my time when I'm reading a book, too. Not out of any kind of deficiency, but because I'm very laid-back and like to roll things around in my mind as I play/read them. This is actually one reason why I prefer books and video games over TV shows and movies: I don't like how the latter media progress at their own pace.

@Peek-a-boo Visual Novels. Basically interactive books in video game form, which often include voice acting, music, and sometimes limited gameplay elements. One of the few video game genres that is almost entirely dominated by the Japanese, and, until recently, one that had extremely limited appeal outside of Japan. Thankfully games like Zero Escape, Danganronpa, and Steins;Gate have been expanding the appeal of this sort of video game to people who aren't die-hard weebs or Japanese.

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah Don't worry, I'll try it out. It reminds me a bit of Earthbound, so I've been waiting on this game for a while (I guess I could've bought it on Steam.. oh well).

Although last time I bought a game because it looked Earthbound-ish, I ended up with Opoona...

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane It draws heavily from Earthbound and Shin Megami Tensei, but there are references to other classic JRPGs as well, including a bit that functions as a clever parody of a famous sequence from Final Fantasy VI.

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

Not really familiar with either SMT or FFVI, so we shall see...!

Octane

Dezzy

Read an interview with Naughty Dog in a paper yesterday. The guy said that a certain portion of fans didn't want them to use Chloe because she's bad for trying to move in on Elena's territory. Lol.
Talk about the dullest way to decide what characters to use. Only use the most morally virtuous fictional people.

Something they also made clear was that there will be no significant changes in the gameplay mechanics. Chloe does all of the same stuff Nate did in Uncharted 4. So they don't like replace the rope with a paraglider or anything like that. Fine with me. The gameplay was pretty near perfect in Unchared 4 imo.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Ralizah

Octane wrote:

Not really familiar with either SMT or FFVI, so we shall see...!

Edited on by Ralizah

CanisWolfred

I wouldn't really compare Undertale to either of those games Ralizah mentioned...the Earthbound comparison was spot-on, just with different combat gameplay and a moral choice twist.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

kkslider5552000

I find it shocking that a human being is able to still play Undertale blind. Do you just avoid the entirety of the internet? I played it close to after its PC release and I clearly saw that I would've been spoiled by most things if I had waited 2-3 months. That was nearly 2 years ago.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred The creator has been pretty open about how much influence the demon negotiation system in SMT had on this game, and it seems pretty clear that the idea of choosing different routes based on your values as a character (and, by extension, as the player, which Undertale goes to pains to emphasize in the genocide route) was heavily inspired by SMT as well. Earthbound is, of course, the most obvious and immediately clear influence. As to FFVI, as I said, there is pretty blatant parody of a famous scene from that game in Undertale.

Edited on by Ralizah

Peek-a-boo

All this talk of Undertale in the past couple of pages made me go ahead and pre-order the game mere moments ago. Was pleasantly surprised to receive a pretty good dynamic theme as a pre-order bonus too.

This months copy of Edge dropped through my letterbox this morning. The cover/featured game is Destiny 2, which has a rather in-depth eight page preview inside, along with a four page spread for Monster Hunter: World. There is also one review in particular that’s a bit of an eye opener!

Reviewed:
Splatoon 2 - 8
Pyre - 9 (such a great, great game)
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - 4
Tacoma - 7
Aven Colony - 7
The End is Nigh - 7
Hey! Pikmin - 5
Tiny Trax - 6

The Making of: Titanfall 2
Studio Profile: Mode7
Time Extend: Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon

Not a bad issue in all.

p.s. The chap who played and reviewed Hellblade didn’t enjoy the story because he could not relate to its difficult subject matter, which is based upon personal grief. Wrong person to review the game, perhaps?

Edited on by Peek-a-boo

Peek-a-boo

Octane

@Peek-a-boo The world would be quite boring if we only got people who loved the game publish a review on it, wouldn't it?

Anything interesting on MHW in those four pages?

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic