Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 6,241 to 6,260 of 16,073

CanisWolfred

Haru17 wrote:

How about anyone links the cutscene with a QTE, because none of us remember those in cutscenes but you guys.

EDIT: Nope, it's not worth it. Going through Youtube looking for footage is an exercise in frustration, with every idiot with a microphone practicing for amatuer hour when I'm just trying to find a specific point in the freakin' game - so I'm just gonna drop it. It's not even my battle to begin with. I liked the Uncharted games and found their cinematic approach to be surprisingly well done. I also don't agree that they're repetitive. Perhaps Rallydefault played all three games in succession instead of taking a break in between? That's hardly a good idea for a trilogy, as I found out with Ratchet & Clank - all three are great games, but by the third game, I'd had my fill. Even as a kid, I mixed it up with other games inbetween, even if it was just because I was waiting for my turn at the TV...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

Also, I noticed that I rarely manage to talk about what I intended to talk about whever I post in this thread, which in this case was Saints Row IV: Re-Elected. I started it up last week, and now I've almost finished it, after grabbing all the collectables and completing most of the non-holiday-themed optional missions. I think I'm on the final stretch, I just gotta finish the key and play all the text adventure stuff, and I'll be on my way. This game has been one helluva ride. One of the best I've played all year, and that's saying something.

Also, I found out Doomfist was announced for Overwatch, and is already in beta on the PC. That's definitely got me excited. I guess I'll try to wrap up SR4 ASAP so I can get some lootcrates stacked up.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

rallydefault

@CanisWolfred
Yea, I've been playing the Collection. I beat the first game pretty quickly, and moved right into the second. I didn't get very far into the second before walking away for a bit (and by "a bit" I mean a couple months, borderline a year lol).

Recently, I booted it back up, finished the second, and now I'm probably about 80% through the third one. So, I've played the second and third very recently, and the first is now a little hazy in my memory.

I don't think it's burnout from the series, though, because even finishing the first was a struggle for me. I'd just always hear such praise for the Uncharted series, and it has EVERYTHING I love in gaming: action/adventure, historical fantasy storyline, platforming... and then I started actually taking part in the gameplay, and I was like... "oh no. this is bad. this doesn't feel good."

Just my opinion, though, like I've been saying. Sorry, guys - didn't want to turn this into a "DIE, UNCHARTED, DIE!" thread lol

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Dezzy

Depends what you define as being a QTE and what isn't.

Uncharted uses quite a lot of scripted sequences but they kinda blend it into the gameplay so it feels like you did it. Like this:

That could be presented more like a QTE but they just blend it in instead.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

rallydefault

@Dezzy
Yea, they do a lot of "blending" to make you feel like you're controlling things, I've noticed.

Like in chase sequences. In the third game, when you're playing as younger Drake, and you're following someone from the rooftops, for instance. The guy won't actually move until you creep forward or jump onto the next pipe or whatever. They count on most players just kinda moving forward at a steady pace and thinking, "Yea! I'm totally following this guy - gotta be careful not to lose him!" But in reality, it's totally scripted, and you can't actually fail (unless you just toss your body into an abyss randomly or something lol). Same thing for some of the OMG RUN: EVERYTHING'S ON FIRE!!!! moments. I've stood still just to test it out, and yea... stuff only happens as you move your character forward. There's no actual danger.

This is in contrast to many games where sequences like that, you CAN fail if you don't keep moving quickly, keep your camera on the target, etc.

rallydefault

KirbyTheVampire

@rallydefault That illusion totally fooled me, lol. I had no idea until I read your post that the guy doesn't move unless you move.

I own the collection too, and I'm struggling big time to make it through the first game. I didn't play the second one, but I played and thoroughly enjoyed the third and fourth ones, so I didn't expect the first one to be so....bad. I get that it's an old game and everything, but I'm honestly only playing it for the sake of seeing the "origin story" of Nate and Elena and Sully and whatnot. The gameplay is absolutely brutal by modern standards IMO. The combat is the only part that's kind of fun, but even that is pretty clunky.

KirbyTheVampire

Dezzy

You can pretty much just skip the first one for story purposes. All you need to learn is the 2 main relationships.

Haru17

@rallydefault You're just lying to suit your agenda. In Uncharted 3 the rooftop chase is ongoing, and if you slow down or run inefficiently you get caught and sent back to the last checkpoint. These aren't QTEs, and you're not making a statement to say Uncharted is scripted — most unique games are.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Dezzy

Untitled

Haru17

@Dezzy Systemic games all feel more the same than games with other design philosophies. If you're seeing slightly different outputs of the same system, those are inherently going to be more similar than games built almost entirely out of unique scripted elements like Okami, Inside, or Journey.

Edited on by Haru17

Dezzy

@Haru17

You're jumpin over quite a lot of variation under that "systemic" category.

Super Metroid is very different from Minecraft. Which is very different from Mario 64. Which is very different from Dark Souls.

None of those games have much in the way of scripting, in the sense you meant.

rallydefault

@Haru17
Nope, not lying. And I played it just a few days ago. When's the last time you played it? (This is where you will probably lie lol)

Same thing in 3 when you are running after the dude that works for that lady. You can't actually lose him. He will conveniently "wait" just offscreen until Drake reaches certain invisible checkpoints.

I love these types of games. But not Uncharted, unfortunately. I wanted to, but I think they are poorly made games, sadly. I've never been so let down by all the hype. Last of Us is everything I thought Uncharted was going to be. But I makes sense, because it came after at least the first two games, so dev learned a couple lessons.

rallydefault

Haru17

The last time I played Uncharted 4 was at launch to completion. I played through the first three games when I got a PS3 in 2013, and I've gone back to play levels a couple times in years since. I have a good memory.

I don't love Uncharted compared to The Last of Us either, but the rhetoric is too much. Scripted isn't a bad word, just stop it. Uncharted are perfectly acceptable games to play-through once.

rallydefault

@Haru17
You speak of not liking my rhetoric, and then proceed to use harsh rhetoric against me? Ah, good to see the old, @Haru17 back: oh-so representative of why the online gaming community sucks. As soon as an opinion comes along that's different from yours, your response is to label it a lie and command the person to "stop it."

Beautiful.

I never stated that scripted is a "bad word," so how about you stop putting words in my mouth? I also never said the Uncharted games weren't fun to play through once. IN FACT, if you go back a page or two, I agreed with somebody who said they were fun for one spin around the block.

Get off your high horse. When you start acting like this, you're a joke.

rallydefault

CanisWolfred

KirbyTheVampire wrote:

@rallydefault That illusion totally fooled me, lol. I had no idea until I read your post that the guy doesn't move unless you move.

I own the collection too, and I'm struggling big time to make it through the first game. I didn't play the second one, but I played and thoroughly enjoyed the third and fourth ones, so I didn't expect the first one to be so....bad. I get that it's an old game and everything, but I'm honestly only playing it for the sake of seeing the "origin story" of Nate and Elena and Sully and whatnot. The gameplay is absolutely brutal by modern standards IMO. The combat is the only part that's kind of fun, but even that is pretty clunky.

Oh yeah, I don't think I've had a chance to go on a rant on this site about how bad the second half of the first Uncharted is. I honestly liked the first half, but only because my expectations were low. The vehicle sections are awful, the combat is functional, but the lack of weapons variety keeps it from holding up on its own, platforming can be fiddly, and the story plays a little too closely to Indiana Jones cliches for its own good.

And the second half just doubles down on all of this, especially once it starts referencing bad Indiana Jones movies (well, 3 & 4, if you somehow haven't seen any of 'em). Suddenly you're thrust into areas where you can't see too well (I think I actually had to turn the brightness up to get through it), while bullet sponge-y monsters are pouring out of the woodworks and rushing towards you with wild abandon (bringing back Halo flashbacks, except I'm not a Space Marine). Suddenly the platforming looks even worse when the game tries to press you forward not just with scripted events, but with armed soldiers who have surprisingly good accuracy, even on lower difficulties. And the final bossfight is just...ugh...there was such a strict pattern to it that it may as well have been a scripted cutscene. It gets old really fast.

At least the second game was a lot better in most regards. Better weapons, better puzzles (though, the first one's puzzles were at least on par with Tomb Raider, while having better platforming so you're not falling off the ledge all the time...which really says more about how bad Tomb Raider was in that regard, honestly), and better scripted sequences overall. You actually can fail most of them, even the chasing ones. I did it a lot, and I was playing on normal.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CanisWolfred

@rallydefault @Haru17 Ooh! I think I heard about that section before! Let me look around a bit...

Yup
Warning: Spoiler for Uncharted 3

I haven't tried it myself, but Haru, it's not the first time that section has been called out, and possibly other chase scenes as well. While it's not exactly a QTE (you can fail QTEs...), it's still disappointing for anyone looking for a challenge, since a lot of players want to feel like they were the ones who accomplished these feats. Granted, I couldn't find anything about that regarding other Uncharted games, and I think Rally's point has been that the Uncharted games have disappointed him so far, I mean, more or less, right? There's no need to act like he's lying just because you don't agree. Of course you don't agree with his disappointment - you went in with different expectations and criteria.

I mean, since this is an old argument, maybe we unintentionally hit upon an old wound? Let's just try to settle down a bit - know I got mad over this the other day, too, and now I just kind of feel dumb about it. So how about we all just be dumb together, talking about or dumb games?

'Cuz I just got Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, and I am hyped as **********************!!! What do those stars stand for? Every possible explative that can be used in a positive manner, rolled into one~

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Octane

You know what amazes me even more? To think that Uncharted 3 was once a pretty game. And people say this gen looks the same

I'm glad the Wii/PS3/360 days are over with their ugly muddy textures.

Octane

TuVictus

Welp, suddenly single so I should be able to play more PS4 in the coming months...

TuVictus

CanisWolfred

Operative2-0 wrote:

Welp, suddenly single so I should be able to play more PS4 in the coming months...

Well...at least that means you got to keep the PS4...and a TV to use it with...but yeah, I'm sorry to hear that.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic