Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 6,221 to 6,240 of 16,073

Haru17

@Operative2-0 Thanks man. The Makoto theme I had was starting to become kinda threatening what with the gun and red eyes and all. In any case, sorry for making you make another account!

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

TuVictus

No probs! better than letting it go to waste

TuVictus

Gamer83

@rallydefault
I love the Uncharted games, despite being fairly new compared to some other ones, it's my favorite PlayStation series. I can see what you mean about the gameplay, though, 'clunky' is definitely a term I'd use for the first especially (I do think it got better over the next couple games) but I always enjoyed the platforming and shootouts anyway. All aspects of the gameplay, shooting in particular, were improved in 4.

Gamer83

Videogameguru50

Am I'm the only one who thinks Uncharted needs more gameplay then QTES and a cover system mechanic.

Videogameguru50

Haru17

What QTEs are actually in Uncharted? The ledge hang thing that only happens like once a playthrough?

Videogameguru50

There is actually a lot if you sit down and analyze the gameplay but it just my unpopular opinion that the first Uncharted is very overrated.

Videogameguru50

Haru17

Well where are they? Analyze for us.

Anyway, I have no real connection to Uncharted like I do to The Last of Us. They were fun to play through once, but I never found them as fulfilling as, say, the Halo trilogy. Both '4' games were equally unnecessary, though A Thief's End was obviously better made.

rallydefault

@Haru17
QTE's in the vein of the Tomb Raider reboots and even Bayonetta? No, not in the traditional sense. Some of the (hand-to-hand) fighting, especially the scripted moments in Uncharted 3, I would classify as QTE's, though.

If I can muster the strength to finish Uncharted 3, I do think I'll purchase 4 due to what I've heard about its gameplay improvements. I love the world-hopping adventure that the story is, but gah - the encounters and such are just so predictable. I've found myself just kinda placing the controller down and saying, "This is stupid" after the 20th time I died from a pit that didn't look that deep or my character stalled and got stuck on some invisible corner during a jump.

I also keep reminding myself that these were games from the previous gen, and especially the first one will lack some of the sophistication we're used to seeing in games right now.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Haru17

Oh, yeah I guess the final boss fight in Uncharted 4 was kind of a minigame. You had control over the character, so it wasn't a QTE though, if that's what ya mean.

rallydefault

@Haru17
Yea, I mean the hand-to-hand sequences in 3 when the guy will throw a punch, things will go into slow-mo, and a big button symbol will pop up for you to hit. That happens a few times throughout the early-to-mid game.

rallydefault

Octane

I don't think they were QTEs though. They're more like Wind Waker button promps.

Octane

Octane

I've been playing around with a 4K TV for a bit, and I have to say, that God of War trailer in 4K looks mighty fine! Now let's see what HDR does for Uncharted 4.

Octane

rallydefault

@Octane
I think they are. You're responding to button prompts that flash on the screen during a cinematic. If you don't respond properly, you get punched and injured.

Am I missing something? lol

rallydefault

NEStalgia

@Haru17 It had several QTEs during the course of it. It was kind of a mix of a mini-game and a QTE sequence. Story-wise it was good. Gameplay-wise it was kind of terrible.

But it's Naughty Dog....that's expected

NEStalgia

Ralizah

RE UC4's final boss: there are timed button presses, but it makes perfect sense in the context of the scene. It's not "press square to dodge the boulder," it's "predict which direction the sword will come from based on the enemy's stance and respond when he swings." I don't really think of that as a QTE.

Not a fan of the series, but UC4 was unusually good for a Naughty Dog game.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

CanisWolfred

rallydefault wrote:

@Octane
I think they are. You're responding to button prompts that flash on the screen during a cinematic. If you don't respond properly, you get punched and injured.

Am I missing something? lol

No, you're right. I dunno what the heck they're on about. It's the same stuff we've been seeing since the PS2. On the topic of final bosses, the final boss fight in Uncharted 1 felt more like something out of Dragon's Lair, not quite 100% QTEs, though there were a lot of them, but even in just the general combat, if you didn't follow a very strict, but simple pattern, you were guaranteed a game over...

There were also several QTEs during cutscenes in Uncharted 1-3 (in the case of 3, I've seen some in footage, but I still haven't gotten to that game myself yet), not to mention damn near every "puzzle". Unless the internet collectively decided to change the definition of QTEs as "stuff that only bad games do", I think it's safe to say that Uncharted has a lot of QTEs.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Haru17

How about anyone links the cutscene with a QTE, because none of us remember those in cutscenes but you guys.

Octane

Well, maybe Uncharted 4 is different (and I played a few chapters yesterday too), but I don't recall any QTEs during cutscenes. I'll look up some footage of Uncharted in a minute to see if I can find what you're talking about.

Octane

Octane

OK, the bar fight in Uncharted 3 has some QTEs / button prompts. But it's also a tutorial for the hand-to-hand combat. Later fights won't have these buttons prompts showing up from what I remember. Anyway, the game guides you through the first handful of enemies, those are scripted, after that you get to walk around and pick your fights as you face off against three. Button prompts still show up, but those aren't really QTEs, they're more like Uncharted's version of the big green A button in Wind Waker.

And maybe you can turn them off too? I wouldn't know, but Uncharted does offer plenty of options. Might be worth a look. I know you can turn off hints and other things alike.

https://youtu.be/-8UrcWsrmaA?t=292

Octane

KirbyTheVampire

I don't think Uncharted is that bad for QTE's. They were in some of the more cinematic moments, which does result in not very engaging gameplay, but that was never really Uncharted's focus in the first place.

I think a much more valid complaint about the games is the lack of gameplay variety, rather than the number of QTE's.

KirbyTheVampire

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic