Forums

Topic: The PlayStation 4 fan thread.

Posts 6,221 to 6,240 of 6,254

Peek-a-boo

@Haru17 I believe Ground Zeroes came out in March 2014, then Metal Gear Solid V was available to buy eighteen months later in September 2015.

Moby Dick Studios (which ended up being a cover/pretend name) were also formed in January 2012 so, if we took that date into consideration, it took three years and eight months to go from nothing to Ground Zeroes (in two and a bit years), then Metal Gear Solid V eighteen months later.

Death Stranding was first announced at E3 in 2016 and had already been in preproduction since the beginning of that year. Three and a half years of development, and it fits the timeframe of '2019' pretty well.

Saying that, it could just end up being on both the PlayStation 4 and the next PlayStation if Metal Gear Solid V is anything to go by! If we don't see any proper non-cutscene gameplay at PSX this year, then folks may well begin to ponder if 2019 is a realistic (if vague) date or not.

Peek-a-boo

WebHead

Eh Sony won't rush Kojima but they aren't gonna let him goof off like Square does for Nomura. Apparently the game is already in a playable state, as Shawn Layden has played it.

WebHead

Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

Dezzy

The Prompto DLC is looking pretty good.

I'm definitely looking forward to retrying FF15 once all of the extra story content is added. Looks like they're filling in quite a lot that was missing. I hope the Ignis DLC is in the 2nd half of the story too, that's where the extra narrative is needed.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

NEStalgia

@Octane That's SHOCKING if they were really rendering everything on the vanilla PS4. I would absolutely have not guessed they were doing that. Pretty cool if true though. But also, if true, it's amazing just how little attention they've shown the Pro, especially post X1X reveal where MS is promoting specs.

@Peek-a-boo Did I mention I hate Dual Shocks? Passionately? I know some people (ehm, @ralizah...) love them....but I've never been able to deal with them. And sadly the aftermarket replacements are mostly either wired or poor quality (or both.) Though I do have the launch day DS4's that last 4 hours before running out of battery, so there's that too... My Switch can run Breath of the Wild as a full handheld longer than my PS4 can play random 2D platformers. That's wrong in so many ways.

Interesting thing with Pros (doing a bit of reading) and it seems there's a bit of a manufacturing issue where some of them are indeeded defective, but don't actually show up as defective in all games...certain games seem to lock the bad ones. Also seems like some games like Deus Ex actually run WORSE on a Pro (devs prioritizing rendering detail rather than framerate.) And I do wish that PS handled Pro more like XBox where you have some control over whether it optimizes resolution, framerate, or what have you. Seems like on PS4 Pro it's up to the devs which way it will run (4k downscaled, or proper 1080 with better framerate.) Downsampled 4k should actually be LESS clean than native 1080.)

All in all it's a weird implementation. Still tempting in some regards (stable framerates in more games overall...) but who am I kidding.....I have a laundry list a mile deep for Switch...by the time I'm done XC2, Skyrim, and rabbids, Pro will be $250 Just in time for Pikmin 4

Ugh, Days Gone. As someone who hates zombie games and horror games, it's frustrating that they focused an inordinate amount of time both last year and this year on a game that still might not be out by next year's E3. They seem obsessed with that game for some reason. Only Uncharted 4 got that much air time. Maybe GoW counts too. But even Horizon didn't get that much focus.

@Peek-a-boo I agree about where fighting games have gone, and even shooters for that matter. The focus on competition and tournament play is kind of an odd angle. It may be growing, but it's an absolute niche, and the more a game focuses on treating it like a traveling road show sports event the less appealing the game is to everyone else who has no interest of traveling to sports events for it. And the mentality kind of absorbs even into the online community. I saw it with Splatoon, the community started out really fun and kind of just people playing, and then tilted hard toward organizing events and leagues and practices and, and the "round the clock practice mentality" studying "experts" technique....when did it become high school varsity tryouts? I didn't care about that stuff back then, and I sure as heck don't care about it now. It's very off-putting to the people that want to just play a game and not dedicate their life to the perfection of a video game. I don't mind playing and getting better....and I can get a little obsessive to a point about that (I need to keep retrying until I get it right...which never happens ) , but the community gets too structured for something that's supposed to be leisure. Too much work is required to put into these game to "keep up with the meta"...mandatory practice just to keep the difficulty from being out of reach is no fun. That element has always been there, but more and more these games are making it the ONLY element. I suppose the competitive element just overtakes everything until it's exclusive.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia The layout of the dualshock controller in general is almost perfect. Prominent D-Pad. Clicky face buttons arranged like the ones on the SNES. Start and select buttons in the middle (we'll not speak about the buttonless abominations that currently occupy the middle space of the DS4). Two analog sticks that are easy to reach on the bottom. Two sets of shoulder buttons.

I agree on the battery life of the DS4. It's inexcusable. The triggers, analog sticks, D-Pad, and face buttons on the DS4, though? Perfection.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794
Currently playing: Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (Vita)

Nintendo Network ID: Michael418

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Dual Shock is something I suffer to play games like Detroit. I think I'd rather use a random Mad Catz controller circa 1995 if I had the choice, otherwise, though I'll give them that they have a good d-pad (ironically second to Nintendo's until the Switch.) The face buttons are flat and mushy with low travel though. Start and Select? Don't you mean Options and Share? I refused to say "Plus and Minus" on Switch either, it's still Start and Select....but Share and Options is a whole different level of silly. And yeah...that map butto...err...touch pad. But the DS4 I at least hate a lot less than the DS3. That was just an awful awful controller. And no, the analog sticks do not belong at the bottom....that's even worse than the handheld joycon right stick position

DS4 is at least an improvement though....I'll grant them that. And their design is a selling point for many so they shouldn't change it. But for me, it'll always be the platform with the worst controller. (but better exclusive games than Team Green who has such lovely controllers ) I Never imagined after the launch of the Wii that by 2017 I'd be saying "Nintendo has the better controller"

@Octane That's great! I'm not too fussed about GoW, and Spidey looks great but I can be fairly ambivalent about it. But Detroit is the reason I'd be buying a PS4 if I didn't already have one this year. Looks great so I'm glad it's on track.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia I guess I shouldn't come down too hard on the function of the share button. I find it beyond useless, not being a social gamer, but then, the select button has always been sort of useless, hasn't it? The fact that options/share buttons don't protrude, though, is inexcusable. Reminds me of start/select on the original 3DS.

And yeah, that touchpad was poorly thought out. It's not nearly sensitive enough to be useful, so it just takes up valuable space in the middle of the controller that could be used to house actual buttons for Options/Share/Home instead of cramming two of them into little hard to reach crevices and one near the bottom of the controller.

See, the analog sticks are easy to access at the bottom, and the D-Pad being closer to the top on the left side also makes it easily accessible.

I've never had a chance to use the DS3, but I heard the triggers weren't very good?

Edited on by Ralizah

KirbyTheVampire

I personally don't really care about or notice the difference in stick placement on the Dualshock controllers compared to, for example, the Switch Pro controller, although if I had to pick one I would pick the Switch placement. My main issue with the DS4 is how non-grippy the sticks are. I find myself frequently having to re-adjust my fingers in the middle of play sessions, and I find it very distracting, especially when playing something like an online multiplayer FPS. Maybe it's just me, but the Switch Pro controller sticks don't give me any grip issues at all. I don't really know why I have that issue, since my hands aren't prone to sweating at all. Maybe there used to be a layer of something on the sticks that got worn off over time or something. I wouldn't think that would be the case though, considering I got my PS4 like 5 months ago. The battery life is also abysmal.

I still like the DS4 a lot more than the DS3, though. That thing was way too small, and the sticks felt really loose compared to the DS4.

KirbyTheVampire

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Even Nintendo managed to give the share button it's own button rather than replace Select with it. Of course technically DS4 has its own button too, because, in reality the "map rectangle" is actually the select button no matter how bizzarre, that's it's real purpose. In retrospect I complain about Share replacing select, but Share is just Share, and "Map rectangle" is Select. And unlike the Sony Share Button, at least Switch's share button is immediately a screenshot button which I actually use! (It came in handy for a few puzzles in BotW for example where you couldn't use the in game camera to record the image, but screen shotting it let me store it on the system.)

But yeah if I ever "upload videos of my gameplay to my facebook page" please just murder me. My existence will be less miserable that way

Yeah, I always roll my eyes when players new to gaming fumble around finding the start button....on the DS4 I fumble around for the "options" button.

I think if you frequently use the D-Pad you like the DS4 layout. I rarely use it for anything but menu navigation, and most of the games that play best with a D-Pad I've always played on Nintendo consoles, so it just was never worth replacing the prime position for a stick with a D-Pad on a platform I'd only really use the sticks. Granted, Switch makes that just confusing, with a so-so D-pad on the Pro controller, and the 4 way buttons on the Joy. I actually LIKE the 4-way buttons for platformers though. Not so hot for SFII. But, then, that's what arcade sticks are for. (Except Pokken....grr.)

The DS3...well youd like it more than I do since I hate the DS design and you love it. But the DS3 was....horrible. The wings were too small to grip, the thumbsticks were too short, too soft, too little axis of motion (think of them as large joycon sticks rather than small DS4 sticks....but with waaay worse deadzones and much floppier springs than joycon. They had conVEX stick caps, made of a VINYL coating that could become slippery, and worse, I found if I didn't use them regularly they actually become sticky. Between that and the lousy third party performance on PS3 I actually did switch to X360 as my primary last gen (yes, above Wii....) . I could not suffer that controller any more. The triggers were terrible, but I'm not too find of the triggers on the DS4 either, so...it's better...but not ideal. I still give the nod to X1 for triggers. Given their dudebro shooter base they spent a lot of time on perfect triggers

MS knows how to make a quality designed controller (unfortunately they don't know how to use quality components....) And Nintendo fortunately learned how to copy MS's designs

@KirbyTheVampire The Switch grippiness is VERY good, almost too good. Arms and SFII are giving me rugburn on my thumbs (rubber-burn?) because it just won't let go with that frantic motion But it's better than DS3 that got sticky so part of the stick just stayed on your finger... DS4 is "ok" but not great in that aspect. My fingers can slip too. And yeah, the battery.....a console controller should not get less runtime than an entire console running as a handheld. The X360 controllers managed to get like 20+ hours on a pair of AA batteries, Sony suddenly can't manage 5 on Lithium-Ion while the Switch Pro runs for a week or so.

But yeah....at least DS4 is usable. DS3 was just...ugh.. After we finally got a DS3....who still has their Sixaxis, raise your hands?

NEStalgia

NEStalgia

@Dezzy "I'm definitely looking forward to retrying FF15 once all of the extra story content is added. Looks like they're filling in quite a lot that was missing. I hope the Ignis DLC is in the 2nd half of the story too, that's where the extra narrative is needed."

This entire paragraph is sad and wrong in almost every capacity....and the sad thing is we talk about this as normal.

NEStalgia

Ralizah

@NEStalgia "I think if you frequently use the D-Pad you like the DS4 layout."

That would explain a lot. An inaccessible D-Pad is one of the most annoying things in the world to me, which is why I hate Microsoft's controllers and am still unsure how to feel about the Gamecube controller (which combines a horrible, tiny D-Pad and fiddly c-stick with amazing analog triggers and giant multi-colored buttons).

I don't play too many 2D games on my PS4 , but I do use it on PC a lot as my go-to controller, so that D-Pad is important to me.

NEStalgia

@Ralizah Haha, yeah that might be it. I mean I frequently use the D-Pads on my controllers.....the X-Box 360 D-pad did suck (especially gen 1), but I mostly use it for navigating menus/grids, so even the joycon does it right (if not better than a d-pad, since there's no diagonals to get in the way.) I think of all consoles I used the D-pad most for actual gameplay on the 3DS. Most platformers made for modern systems I just use the thumbsticks since it's meant for it. Even DKCR on 3DS I used the circle pad. XBox 360's dpad was bad for menus too...(X1 is fine.) but yeah....if I'm not playing with the dpad, I'd rather the menu nav buttons take a supplementary position to the primary stick. My thumb's on the stick for hours, and on the dpad for like 90 seconds.

NEStalgia

Haru17

Peek-a-boo wrote:

@Haru17 I believe Ground Zeroes came out in March 2014, then Metal Gear Solid V was available to buy eighteen months later in September 2015.

Moby Dick Studios (which ended up being a cover/pretend name) were also formed in January 2012 so, if we took that date into consideration, it took three years and eight months to go from nothing to Ground Zeroes (in two and a bit years), then Metal Gear Solid V eighteen months later.

Death Stranding was first announced at E3 in 2016 and had already been in preproduction since the beginning of that year. Three and a half years of development, and it fits the timeframe of '2019' pretty well.

Saying that, it could just end up being on both the PlayStation 4 and the next PlayStation if Metal Gear Solid V is anything to go by! If we don't see any proper non-cutscene gameplay at PSX this year, then folks may well begin to ponder if 2019 is a realistic (if vague) date or not.

They hadn't chosen an engine until the end of 2016, and development on the Fox Engine before started in 2008. Which of us is being unrealistic here? Sony announced another thing way too early to be reasonable.

Zelda: Has goat, is GOAT.

Octane

Haru17 wrote:

Sony announced another thing way too early to be reasonable.

I don't think they told Kojima to prepare a trailer for E3 mere months after he set up his own studio. It's a Kojima thing.

Octane

Dezzy

NEStalgia wrote:

@Dezzy "I'm definitely looking forward to retrying FF15 once all of the extra story content is added. Looks like they're filling in quite a lot that was missing. I hope the Ignis DLC is in the 2nd half of the story too, that's where the extra narrative is needed."

This entire paragraph is sad and wrong in almost every capacity....and the sad thing is we talk about this as normal.

No idea what that means.

Converted from Sony to Nintendo during 7th gen and never looked back.

Haru17

Octane wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Sony announced another thing way too early to be reasonable.

I don't think they told Kojima to prepare a trailer for E3 mere months after he set up his own studio. It's a Kojima thing.

It doesn't matter 'who started it:' Sony gave Death Stranding their E3 stage as opposed to another of their games-that-will-actually-be-out like Gravity Rush 2. And they benefited from the industry buzz generated from it, which translates to systems sold at some rate. They actively chose to start marketing a game three or four years out from release before Kojima Productions had even decided on an engine yet.

Zelda: Has goat, is GOAT.

Ralizah

Apparently the first episode of Hitman is now free, functioning as a sort of elaborate demo.

Octane

Ralizah wrote:

Apparently the first episode of Hitman is now free, functioning as a sort of elaborate demo.

Awesome. I haven't played Hitman yet (wanted to wait until the game was finished), but I shall check this out.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic