Forums

Topic: The PlayStation Fan Thread

Posts 6,261 to 6,280 of 16,083

TuVictus

Thank you guys, it's been a rough day. Gaming will be very sad for a little while since that's what we mainly bonded over.

~ahem~ Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Anyone get FF12?

TuVictus

CanisWolfred

Operative2-0 wrote:

Thank you guys, it's been a rough day. Gaming will be very sad for a little while since that's what we mainly bonded over.

~ahem~ Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread. Anyone get FF12?

Poppin' it in right now~

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

KirbyTheVampire

Octane wrote:

You know what amazes me even more? To think that Uncharted 3 was once a pretty game. And people say this gen looks the same

I'm glad the Wii/PS3/360 days are over with their ugly muddy textures.

That was pretty striking to me as well. I remember thinking how good Uncharted 3 looked back when I first played it, and I looked at some of the videos of the game posted in the thread and was surprised at how dated it actually looks compared to modern games.

KirbyTheVampire

Ralizah

@KirbyTheVampire Old games almost never look as good as you remember them looking.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

I got Final Fantasy XII yesterday and played for a bit. Actually looks about the same as running it on my PS2 emulator, except it's not in 4K, and no instant saves. BUT. Smoother performance and the fast forward button means I'll probably play this version instead. Had a save going on the emu but, that's ok. Wasn't that far anyways. Just killing some time til we splat toons next week.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Haru17

Octane wrote:

To think that Uncharted 3 was once a pretty game.

And it still is. Wow, we sure are lucky to have these fancy space boxes beamin' up video games.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

CanisWolfred

Yeah, it still looks good, from the videos I saw. Granted, that was more due to its direction and animation than the textures, polygons, etc. I think what Octane is getting at is that realistic graphics tend to age extremely fast, since, well, we still have reality to compare it to. Even when it looks good, it's more because it's closer to reality than other similar games that were available at the same time...I'm actually glad more big-name developers are remembering that a more unique look can benefit a game, since it can impress people for a longer term than only 3 months or so that realistic games seem to get...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Haru17

Uncharted looks exactly as good as the day it came out. You're literally lying to yourself if you think it has aged. It doesn't look like an eight gen game because, clearly, it's not one.

I wish more of the games I liked had realistic art styles. Too many anime or similarly-styled games ignore details and feel more like the lies humans tell ourselves about how things look rather than the reality itself. It's not good to stay trapped in that mental space all the time. The only anime or cel shaded game I've seen really escape that lack of detail is Breath of the Wild and even that is characterized by wide open, empty spaces and mountain rock that looks exactly the same from base to rim. On the second point, it fails to craft a believable world with waterfalls just starting out of nothing, caves you can't look into, and on mountaintops with no snow.

I think there's something wrong with you if you can't see beauty in older games that look realistic. They're art, they're intentionally crafted to be beautiful. Realistic games are beautiful precisely because of the subtlety of their differences from reality that makes those differences all the more appreciable.

Edited on by Haru17

Dezzy

I know it's a lot to expect but I was really hoping they could've converted FF12 into an open world for the remaster. It already has the right layout. Just needs to get rid of those loading screens between areas.
It'd make the game more enjoyable.

Haru17 wrote:

games ignore details and feel more like the lies humans tell ourselves about how things look rather than the reality itself. It's not good to stay trapped in that mental space all the time.

Someone's been reading Plato.

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

gcunit

Haru17 wrote:

You're literally lying to yourself if you think it has aged.

Someone's been reading Trump.

It's literally aged 9/7/5 years.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

themcnoisy

@Haru17 'Uncharted looks exactly as good as the day it came out. You're literally lying to yourself if you think it has aged. It doesn't look like an eight gen game because, clearly, it's not one.'

We talking about the uncharted collection with the upgraded assets or the ps3 vanilla version?

Personally and I'm in the minority from previous threads on pushsquare, but the game play in uncharted has aged really badly. I really struggle to push through the series as the likes of Yakuza Zero, Persona 5 and Rocket League offer a better game play experience regardless of the graphical fidelity.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

Haru17

gcunit wrote:

Uncharted 3 is 6 years old, however it has not aged a day. To age means to change, and video games don't do that. You are literally playing the same exact game today that you played on release, give or take patches that don't even change the graphics anyway.

Octane

I don't age either. Everyone just becomes younger.

Let's rephrase it; Compared to current gen releases, Uncharted 3 doesn't look great. Even the PS4 remaster looks way better. The game went from one of the best looking games to something with ugly muddy textures. The game is still the same, but it definitely lost its visual flair. That's what people mean when they say a game has aged (could also be applied to outdated gameplay).

Going back to my original comment that started this all. I was surprised to see that video games have progressed so much in the past 6 years, because some still insist we've reached the pinnacle of gaming and there's no need for a "ninth gen" console anymore. You know, the same people that say there's no difference between this gen and last gen [in terms of visuals]. Well, clearly there is, it's a huge difference!

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane There is a huge difference but I think that the next huge difference will be less.

And I think part of the reason people tbink the jump from 7th to 8th gen wasnt all that impressive was because it has so many remasters. Why use your PS3 when its all on PS4? Your brain would then associate that with how the game looked. Playing Crash I already have to remind myself how different it looks. But in my head it always looked like that.

Same with Uncharted only less drastic due to the actual graohics themselves not changimg jear as much. Its easier to forget what it looked like before and thinking it always looked good. Same with TLOU or Sleeping Dogs or FFX. A HD game being remastered and made HDer isnt as impressive as SD to HD. And as such the brain doesnt register the older one as looking worse by comparison.

Its a psychological thing.

But I also say this, because once again we miss the elephant in the room.

Is the game fun? Thats the first reason you play a game. And many people can go back decades because its fun regardless of how it looks because they enjoy it.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

gcunit

Haru17 wrote:

gcunit wrote:

Uncharted 3 is 6 years old,

Released November 2011. We're in July 2017. Means it's 5yrs 8mnths old, not 6yrs.

Haru17 wrote:

To age means to change

No, the verb 'to age' means to grow old or older. The Uncharted games are 9/7/5 years old respectively, therefore they have aged. Have they aged well, or poorly, or somewhere inbetween? That is the question.

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Octane

@BLP_Software It's not an elephant in the room. If a game isn't fun, it isn't fun, but we wouldn't be discussing the game here if that was the case. It's like a good OST, it can enhance the game IMO, but there's no point in discussing how new hardware can improve the sound, we've already reached that ceiling. A good story? Games could tell that years ago, hardware isn't the limiting factor. The main improvements we're seeing with each new gen is visuals, world size, details and AI. Those are things that were impossible 10 years ago (at least in terms of what we see today).

So don't worry, we won't forget about the game itself. It's just that new hardware opens up new possibilities in some areas, and they're interesting to talk about.

Octane

CanisWolfred

Haru17 wrote:

I think there's something wrong with you if you can't see beauty in older games that look realistic.

In Uncharted's case, it's more that it's trying to look like a Live-Action movie. I think it gets really close to what it's trying to achieve, but it's still an imitation. I don't think it's hard to believe that people's opinions of its look will and have changed over time, because it's not like it's the only game out there trying to imitate Hollywood, and certain things, like imitating the look of real-life human beings, can still be improved upon. It's only been a few years, sure, but even early PS2 games like Final Fantasy X paled in comparison to FFXII in terms of graphics outside of cutscenes (and FFXII had a more open environment), and now we have an entirely new generation to compare Uncharted 1-3 to.

...I was actually gonna go post more examples, but I think Haru's been here enough that I know he's smart enough to get that "realistic" means that it has to be compared to reality...I won't talk down to him like he's a child over it. I'm moving on from the conversation, either way. I got Overwatch to play, as well as FFXII, and I think I want to finish off Hyper Light Drifter this week.

Oh, and around how long is Bioshock Infinite, if anyone remembers? I'm doing a little celebration thing for July, and I was hoping I could fit it in this month...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

KirbyTheVampire

@Haru17 I don't think anyone here is dumb enough to think the game actually looks any different than it did when it first came out, lol.

KirbyTheVampire

Octane

@KirbyTheVampire Twenty years from now Uncharted 3 will be an 8-bit platformer

@CanisWolfred Hyper Light Drifter. Haven't heard enough people talk about that game. What do think of it?

Octane

Ralizah

@CanisWolfred 10 - 20 hours, depending on how you play it. Closer to 10 if you just want to blow through the campaign. Closer to 20 if you take your time. Steam says I spent 16 hours on it.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic