Forums

Topic: PC Gaming

Posts 121 to 140 of 2,134

Tasuki

I havent played any PC games of late but thats cause I am still without a PC. Might look into something cheap to play World of Warcraft at least.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Jaz007

@Caniswolfred My bad, I meant MMOs in general. I didn't make very clear (at all) looking back at what I said though.

Jaz007

CanisWolfred

Thank goodness Fallout 3 is so moddable. Ended up downloading a fix that made it playable on my Windows 8 computer. No messing with files (other than what the instructions told me to do, and then it was simple drag-and-drop and setting up compatibility mode for two programs). I'd jump right in, but I have to make a new file, and the beginning's a tad sloggish, in retrospect. Good for establishing atmosphere, but bad for repeat playthroughs...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SupremeAllah

Yea. games like Fallout and moreso the Elder Scrolls series are infinitely better on PC due to the modding you can do. The ES series is so horribly bland otherwise.

As far as GTA 5 goes, I assume the delay from March to April was due to Heists finally coming out in online mode. So one would assume the PC version will launch with heists included.

I personally can't wait for it. I always get the GTA games on consoles first, then on PC to get the superior (and mod-able) experience. Plus I look forward to trying out GTA online, since I could not get it to work on my PS3 (kept freezing up in the intro, and Rockstar Tech Support were of no help and were pretty stupid overall)

SupremeAllah

CanisWolfred

SupremeAllah wrote:

Yea. games like Fallout and moreso the Elder Scrolls series are infinitely better on PC due to the modding you can do. The ES series is so horribly bland otherwise.

I actually don't use any gameplay mods and still greatly enjoy their games. I mean I'm glad Bethesda readily enables people who are far better programmers than they are to be able to fix their crap.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SupremeAllah

Well it isn't just the gameplay mods, but GFX mods that make the game look way better than it would have otherwise. Weather effects, lighting effects, water effects, sound effects, the list is endless really, and that's just about cosmetic stuff and not things that actually effect the gameplay.

SupremeAllah

CanisWolfred

I don't use those either...I think I tried a Nude pack for Oblivion though...which broke the game...

In fact, I break PC games a lot when I try to mess with anything involving the code. This is the first time in a while I actually succeeded in unbreaking a game...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SupremeAllah

Yea I seem to remember some company that released a broken game, and came out with a statement that it would take months for them to fix it. Then some random guy fixed it in a day and posted an unofficial patch. Made them look like complete morons.

I want to say it was Ubisoft, but I can't recall for sure.

SupremeAllah

nacho_chicken

SupremeAllah wrote:

Yea I seem to remember some company that released a broken game, and came out with a statement that it would take months for them to fix it. Then some random guy fixed it in a day and posted an unofficial patch. Made them look like complete morons.

I want to say it was Ubisoft, but I can't recall for sure.

Reminds me of how Dark Souls for PC was fixed by a modder (Durante) 1 hour before the game came out.
EDIT: Apparently if was actually around 3 days before.

Edited on by nacho_chicken

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

Jaz007

You have to remember though, modders don't have to worry as much about something going wrong.

Jaz007

SupremeAllah

Yet when they make something it tends to work. Including their unofficial patches to broken games.

SupremeAllah

unrandomsam

Jaz007 wrote:

You have to remember though, modders don't have to worry as much about something going wrong.

That used to apply to Nintendo but now they are as bad as the rest of the competition when it comes to shipping broken games that have to be patched.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

DefHalan

unrandomsam wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

That used to apply to Nintendo but now they are as bad as the rest of the competition when it comes to shipping broken games that have to be patched.

??? What game from Nintendo has been so bad that it needed a patch at launch? especially as bad as others when they need a GB or more for the patch?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Jaz007

unrandomsam wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

I'm not sure how this relates to what I said. I meant that it's reasonable that official patch can take a bit longer than a mod patch. I'm not defending the release of broken games though.

Jaz007

CanisWolfred

Jaz007 wrote:

I'm not sure how this relates to what I said.

This is my response to a lot of things he says lately. :/ Jaz, you have a point - modders don't do as thorough a test job as most big companies do, they just release stuff and let everyone send them bug reports when they mess stuff up (yes, I'm aware a lot of companies are doing stuff like that, too, and that's why tend to get chewed out for it). Also, the reason Dark Souls would've taken forever was because From Software was unfamiliar with PCs as well as the general process. Also, Japanese gaming methodology pretty much requires they be extra thorough when squashing bugs (though, yeah, obviously they weren't when they first released it...).

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ITAFTRS

I'm currently playing the second episode of Dreamfall Chapters on my computer. I'm so in love with that game; I've never played games that are so extremely story-driven before (your actions and choices makes consequences later on etc.) - more or less an interactive novel. And I've come to realise it's right up my alley:)

ITAFTRS

Pkmns

On my second Deus Ex playthrough. That game is perfect.

Pkmns

CanisWolfred

Pillars of Eternity just came out, and I'm really motivated to play it.

Yet at the same time, I'm really motivated to try out a bunch of 80's computer RPGs like Ultima 1-6 and the Gold Box games...especially after TSI post-poned their kickstarter...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SupremeAllah

Pkmns wrote:

On my second Deus Ex playthrough. That game is perfect.

"Never know when I might come up against heavy armor. GIve me the GEP Gun."

SupremeAllah

Faruko

Cant wait for Pillars of Eternity !!!

Game looks awesome

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic