Working a double today and tomorrow 😭😭😭

3DS FC : 4914-6709-6917
Xbox Live : Zionich
PS4: Zionich
Switch FC: SW-1208-7413-3716

JaxonH

Gosh freaking dang.

Rocksteady Mantle
Eliminates damage restrictions, prevents wind effects, protects hearing, grants tremor resistance, and you receive less damage from attacks

That's practically an end game set of skills, just on the mantle.

The Skill List also shows Stun Resistance, Attack Boost, Master Mounter, Evade Window, and Cliffhanger.

Edit

Just beat the Jaggras. That has got to be the easiest hunt I've ever experienced. He didn't even hit me once. As if I wasn't loaded up with enough mega potions and potions and healing stakes and healing plants all around... I didn't even take damage. I'm hoping the intermediate and master level hunt is the usual difficulty you'd expect.

I also have to say the game doesn't look as impressive as it did in the Screenshots and trailers. This is the first PS4 game I've actually seen jaggies in (no pun intended). That said, it's still a astronomical leap above what we've had before, so I'm not complaining. I also don't like how close the camera is. It's hard to see. It's like they went for a more cinematic view closer to the hunter but it makes your field of vision really narrow and when I was wailing on the jaggras, it was hard to see.

But the controls feel as expected. Not sure how I like the radial menu yet. It all just seems so foreign and strange. Maybe I'll get used to it. I'm also not sure how I feel about the scout flies. The entire way there I was focusing on them, so I wasn't really paying attention to anything else like my surroundings or exploring... really narrows your focus to just follow the scout flies and hit circle for footprints. I don't know, let me go play these other two quests so I have a better feel for the game.

edit 2
Wth, I started swinging my sword at this Rhenopolis looking monster in the second quest, and my sword started going straight through his head without any contact or damage or anything. Now it's going through his entire body without contacting him. I was in the middle of fighting him and then all of a sudden my attacks started going through them like thin air. Wow. I saved the video clip.

I see my Palico riding one of them though lol. Maybe that's why I couldn't hit him! My little palico jumped on his back and started riding him lol. Dude that's freaking awesome. Go little Palico, ride that Rhenopolis!

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Fooligan

Just beat the Anjonoth, or however you spell it, with my hammer with a little over one minute remaining (I lost track of him toward the end there). I'll play some more later and try a different weapon. So completing these quests gives you items that will be sent to the full game. Nice! I can't wait!

These pretzels are making me thirsty

"See, my damie, Pootie Tang don't wa-da-tah to the shama cow... 'cause thats a cama cama leepa-chaiii, dig?" - Pootie Tang

JaxonH

Intermediate Quest was super easy too.

But the Advanced Anjanath... finally some decent challenge. Granted I had no idea what I was doing or how to use a mantle or one of those healing stakes... but this quest here left me well satisfied. I almost didn't beat him in time. 19 minutes 5 seconds was my clear time. Overall I really like it but I can't stand how close the camera is. If there were a way to adjust the camera zoom that would fix everything. Half the time I was getting hit it was because I couldn't properly see. I checked the settings and I saw a bunch of options but nothing for zooming the camera in or out.

Other Thoughts
Auto crafting is genius, and I'm not sure how this is the first game that's implemented it. But I'm glad it's here now. There are also a number of settings that really need to be changed for veteran hunters. Like not auto sheathing, the lock on feature, etc. Once I got the Settings to my liking to match previous games started feeling a lot more like Monster Hunter. I also think moving while drinking potions is indeed necessary. At least for the advanced quest it felt that way. I also really love the custom radial menu. Having used it a bit now, it's so much less clumsy than holding L and panning through your item list. I really like that.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

KirbyTheVampire

Does anyone know how to mount the monsters and do all the other jumping attacks? I managed to mount the Barroth once because I jumped off a ledge onto his back, but I don't honestly know how I did it or how to do that run up the wall thing.

And yeah, the Jaggras was super easy. I hunted him twice, and I think he only hit me once or twice. I guess he's basically just the punching bag monster to try out the weapons. The Barroth wasn't that hard either, though. I feel like this whole game is easier than Tri because the controls are so much more fluid. Everything in Tri felt really tight somehow, and you really had to think about what you were about to do. I definitely appreciate the more fluid controls, I just hope that the actual monster difficulty is ramped up in the full game. The Anjanath or whatever it's called was actually a pretty solid challenge, though.

KirbyTheVampire

JaxonH

@KirbyTheVampire
I'm thinking Low Rank is going to be a walk in the park. Just based on how easy these quests were- even the advanced quest I beat on my first try. Mind you, I still haven't beaten Valphalk in the MHXX demo. And not from timing out either... but from triple carting. So there is definitely a noticeable drop in difficulty in this game... and that's not even accounting for co-op (since monsters are apparently not more difficult when playing MP, unlike past games.

Which normally I would say is fine but, the fact this game won't have G rank either... I'm beginning to wonder how much of the game will be left by the time the difficulty actually poses a respectable challenge. I don't know. I guess we'll find out.

Edited on by JaxonH

KirbyTheVampire

@JaxonH Yeah, that seems to be the case. I'm sure it'll be pretty hard for me, because I tend to not be very good at this kind of game, lol. By the way, do you have any idea if Circle is a power attack and Triangle a quick attack? Not quite sure how that works.

KirbyTheVampire

JaxonH

Lot of complaints on Reddit about this game. A lot of it has to do with frame rate- people are saying it dips down into the low 20s. Even with the PS4 Pro using framerate mode, apparently it's not holding a steady 30 frames per second. Not sure if playing with others contributes to this by having more characters on screen or what. I have a pro and played in framerate mode. I didn't encounter anything noticeable, but I really don't notice frame rate very well in games at all, or so I'm told. I had zero issues with DOOM on Switch, for example. But I imagine people who took issue with that will probably be taking issue with this as well.

@KirbyTheVampire
Ya they're 2 different attacks just like in previous games. The training menu is really well done in this game though. Can go in there and check out the combos for your weapon of choice. Pressing the two buttons at the same time can also be a specific attack for certain weapons (like Longsword or Hunting Horn). And R2 can be used as well. It's all weapon specific though so you should really check out the training area for your weapon of choice.

Edited on by JaxonH

KirbyTheVampire

@JaxonH Oh okay cool, gotcha. Is there any merit to using combos over just spamming one attack over and over?

KirbyTheVampire

JaxonH

@KirbyTheVampire
Yes. If you only use one attack then you'll pause after two or three attacks. You want to get into a loop, where you get five or six attacks in before you pause and with some weapons you can loop the combo so that there is no pause. That all means more damage done per second.

For the long sword, for example, it's Triangle > Triangle > Circle > Triangle > Triangle + Circle

And for that final 5th attack, you can hold a direction and you will do a side hop or back hop or angled hop in the direction you hold as you do the round house sweep. This can help you re-position as you start over with the combo again.

KirbyTheVampire

@JaxonH Oh okay, gotcha. Thanks!

Also, I personally haven't noticed that the game is framey. I had a couple minor drops that lasted for like a couple seconds, but that was it.

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

JaxonH

Just got done playing some 4 person hunts with TeeJay, Sinalefa and Logantx...

NOW I'm feeling it!

I figured out there is a way to zoom the camera out a little bit. There's actually a second page to the camera controls and the very last option let you zoom it out to "far". It's not much but it's just enough to make the difference. It's perfect now. That was my one serious complaint and it's now been eliminated.

I also hunted a Rathalos, Diablos, and that Plesioth looking monster from the trailers. NOW I'm feeling it! These monsters offered much more challenge then the stock quests. Those were some absolutely amazing hunts and I can't wait for the game to come out now. I'm starting to get the hang of using the slinger and the mantle and the quick menu and... basically everything else in the game that was new to me.

Even the scout flies don't seem as bad to me now. They were actually quite helpful when I was lost in these huge areas looking for monsters, although I wish there was a way to change the target monster that your scout flies are chasing. It seems that regardless of which monster you have locked onto, the scout flies will only follow the quest monster.

All in all though... fantastic hunts. Incredible game.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

Yeah it was up there as soon as the demo launched, but to be honest I don't know why it's such a big deal- everybody started streaming at the same time with the demo. Doesn't seem too out of the ordinary. Lasted an hour or so on the release day of the beta without any other real big, new releases being streamed, and at mid-day.

I imagine most games get a little time in the spotlight. Like a new release that tops the chart its first week.

Maybe I'm wrong though. I know very little about streaming because I really don't care much for watching livestreams. Just doesn't seem like very impressive feat to grab top spot for an hour at mid day ahead of games that have been streamed for months or years. It's already drop down to 20 thousand something. I guess I would be impressed if it held the top spot all day long or all weekend long.

Though I supposed compared to past entries, it is quite a feat. I don't think anyone streamed past games. But that speaks more to the hardware they were on. Everyone streams PS4 games.

Edited on by JaxonH

KirbyTheVampire

Are the dual blades viable throughout the game, or are they basically the newbie weapon and that's it? I'm really enjoying using them.

KirbyTheVampire

GarudaRamuda

@KirbyTheVampire Basically every weapon stays viable and I imagine that MHWorld balances them out better than previous installments. Only drawback to Dual Blades is that they have to be sharpened much more often than any other weapon and you'll most likely want to run a build that can accommodate for that.

GarudaRamuda

JaxonH

@KirbyTheVampire

What he said.

But I would add to that, some good starting weapons are the Longsword, the Hammer, Dual Blades and Sword and Shield (even though no one actually uses SnS... it's a jack of all trades, master of none weapon). Though they may have revamped the weapon for this entry. But I can't really speak to that.

Stay away from ranged weapons (Bow, Light Bowgun, Heavy Bowgun), stay away from the transforming weapons (Switchaxe, Charge Blade) and probably stay away from the Lance weapons as well (Lance, Gunlance). Not that you can't pick up one of those weapons as your first, but if you want to make it easier I think it's better to master one of the other weapons, and once you've learned it like the back of your hand you can move on and start learning one of the more complex weapons. And the Lance is not necessarily complex but it does require a very particular play style. As for Greatsword... it's not the best and not the worst as a starter weapon, but it is very slow so you have to learn to anticipate where your enemy is going to be when your attack comes crashing down.

Edited on by JaxonH

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic