Forums

Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Posts 961 to 980 of 1,145

JaxonH

Does anyone have codes for MH avatars they'd be willing to part with for a few bucks?

PLAYING
Switch: Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Resident Evil Revelations 1/2
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
PSVR: Skyrim VR, DOOM VFR
Vita:
X1X: Wolfenstein 2
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9763-9374 | Nintendo Network ID: JaxonH

Haru17

Untitled

Untitled

Diablos can take advantage of a new cave area and charge out of the wall, and the Wildspire Waste's giant anthill landmark glows with the bioluminescence of thousands of ants at night. Higher quality gif.

Edited on by Haru17

Capcom Nintendo Life Community Manager

Contents are ???% sarcastic in nature.

JaxonH

-from IGN article

But down in the pit, we found a greater monster that wasn’t pleased with any of us being in its domain. Diablos rose and targeted Barroth. I stood back and watched the beasts reaffirm their position on the food chain... Once out of Diablos’ cave, we followed Barroth to the gross swamps. We knocked off its tail and it tried to retreat to a safe place, but that place was occupied by yet another monster. The Jyuratodus slithered through the mud and squeezed most of the life out of Barroth. I was impressed by the constant fights that’d break out between the giant monsters. I landed the last few hits with my team and Barroth was done for

And... this just kills my excitement full stop. He's impressed... a new player seeing this sequence for the first time in a demo. But I'm certainly not. Multi-monster hunts are one of the best parts of the game. Trying to juggle more than one monster at the same time is classic! But even if they removed that from the game I could probably accept it just because of how good everything else looks. But this is just ruining the fun. I don't want to hunt monsters just to have other monsters kill them for me. It looks nice once in a video. Maybe it could be cool in some elder dragon showdowns. But in my day-to-day hunts I don't want half their health being lobbed off in one fell, canned animation swoop. Or, as we're learning now, two fell swoops.

I don't know if this is just for the demo, but I have to believe this is how it's going to be in the game or they wouldn't be showing it off. Like I said, it's bad enough that it removes the element of challenge from fighting two monsters at once, but it goes a step further by actively reducing the challenge of a single monster too!

I don't know if this will be my most loved game of all time or most despised. Probably both.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Joeynator3000
Arena fights I'm betting they built around Monster vs Monster as well. But let's assume those are still in tact.

It really distresses me that I won't be able to take on 2 monsters at once. Those chaotic encounters were my favorite hunts. Party crasher extraordinaire Deviljho hits the scene, dodging dragon breath and sumo stomps while fending off a Rathalos... Man...

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

Joeynator3000

I was hoping for something like this, honestly...but, I was expecting the target monster would just attack the other and that monster would just run off or something. I dunno, it just seems like "I'm losing, let's get Rathalos to help us" now.

I do want them to bring back the Seltas Duo, though...

insert reason for avatar change here
My Youtube Channel
WHY NO ONE WUV MEGUMI!?!?!
Harry Pooper and the Goblin of Poop
Watch Sanya fight a twist-tie
...and finally-
A Perfect Yoda!
Switch FC: SW-2301-6106-1058

Twitter:

JaxonH

@Joeynator3000
So much yes. Seltas duo NEEDS to be in this game. Give us some monster cooperation rather than just aggression.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

Haru17

So far Rathalos has been shown in the Ancient Forest and Rathian in the Wildspire Waste. One of them would need to crossover for there to be a Heaven and Earth quest. I don't expect that they would attack each other, though they could get a little rough... In any case, Jagras seem to coordinate with each other, so I don't think we would see a Jaggi, Ludroth, or Zamite situation where the larger and smaller members of a tribe can damage each other.

JaxonH

I haven't seen anything. But then again I haven't been following footage too closely. The game is still 4 months off and a lot of other, more immediate hype games require my attention.

I'm hoping there will be quests, at the very least, with Rathian and Rathalos. That's a series staple there. Surely they didn't throw the baby out with the bath water?

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

Haru17

Joeynator3000 wrote:

I just wanna see them actually working together for once, instead of them pretending the other doesn't exist the entire time. xD

I wanna see how they kiss with Rathian's pointy, pointy chin. Also less clipping would be good.

Tsurii

JaxonH wrote:

-from IGN article

But down in the pit, we found a greater monster that wasn’t pleased with any of us being in its domain. Diablos rose and targeted Barroth. I stood back and watched the beasts reaffirm their position on the food chain... Once out of Diablos’ cave, we followed Barroth to the gross swamps. We knocked off its tail and it tried to retreat to a safe place, but that place was occupied by yet another monster. The Jyuratodus slithered through the mud and squeezed most of the life out of Barroth. I was impressed by the constant fights that’d break out between the giant monsters. I landed the last few hits with my team and Barroth was done for

I was willing to give the game a chance by checking out a potential demo with a buddy, but...yeah. Just no. Just when I started to warm up to how the areas look as well, that was the standout to me in that footage of the ugly flagship monster because it looked more like a proper Monster Hunter area than two thirds of the new stuff in 4 Ultimate.

@JaxonH, you basically already said what I think of that myself. It's all good and well, and it's certainly a cool thing to have in a video game, but..why is this in Monster Hunter? Where's the fun in hunting down something for close to 10 (or more) minutes just to have an ugly fish swoop in and "killsteal" your target?

edit: oh yeah, Joey made a good point too. This could be a lot cooler, and more importantly less intrusive, if one monster just attacked another one once to scare off an intruder, but if they take significant chunks of health from another it just turns into "let's go and get [insert monster name here] to do our job for us" with weaker monsters (and let's ignore for a moment that Diablos is a herbivore)

It also kinda defeats the point of WHY hunters exist in-universe. Yo, we went to kill this monster that was threatening your caravan. It's all fine now, a bigger, more dangerous monster went on a rampage in the area and killed our target.
Happy traveling (:

Edited on by Tsurii

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221

Twitter, not like there's anything interesting on there

Haru17

Untitled

This is Nergigante's finisher (?) attack that it performs when its entire body has become black. You can see that the roar it does before resets its black horns to white, then super quickly (even for it) progresses all of them to black before flapping up into the air and swooping down at hunters in an attack that destroys everything in its path — including all of its black spines. It also does cool wing attacks besides. I can't wait to see what this thing does to other monsters.

According to Gaijinhunter's live translations of the day 3 stage presentation, this elder dragon does not retreat, which would set it apart from every other monster on a map with more than one area in MH history. In the gameplay it only chases.

I think Japan got one of the worst MH covers in years. The weird lighting in it makes Nerg's black skin appear gray and shows its eyes, which you can barely even see in normal gameplay. It looks washed out and weirdly metallic — I thought the thing's wings were blue for a while after I first saw it instead of the alarming black, orange, and purple color of the real beast. The Rathalos art is just so much better composed and lit.

I'm curious to see the rest of Nergigante's secrets, like what the encounter with it atop of Zorah Magdoros is like. After all, the last two flagships have both been red herrings for elder dragons.

Edited on by Haru17

crimsontadpoles

Throw dung bomb, second monster flees, continue hunting first monster. Problem solved. (though I don't know if World has dung bombs).

As for monsters attacking other monsters, we don't know how often this happens. It might only be for a few quests. Anyway, I'm not worried about this, it'll really cool to actually see the monsters interacting with each other for once, makes the game much more imersive.

meleebrawler

The whole monster attack thing doesn't seem that different to using traps. And has no one stopped to consider that we're no longer restricted to just two large monsters on a map ever?

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Haru17

@meleebrawler That's one of those things you don't consider because we've paged through quests with two, three, and five monster icons on them. But in actuality those quests are one-on-one or two-on-one fights where the monsters have zero programming for how to deal with each other to they track all of their attacks to the hunters. And of course should you kill a monster before the next one is on the field you have to wait around and guess at where it might spawn, whether it has spawned there yet, flown to another area, etc.

Here's a bit of a visual comparison for World and 4U:

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

It looks just like the 4U cinematic right down to the pitfall traps and fluid day/night cycle.

CrazedCavalier

@meleebrawler Traps don't wipe out half the monster's health.

"There's a very fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think I walk that line every day of my life." -Leonard Church Jr.

Nintendo Network ID: thedanman88

JaxonH

throw a dung bomb

First, you better hope you brought some. Second, it stops working after one or two times. Third, you still had to wait for the monster to leave which could take a minute or two, and that's plenty time to get creamed by a dual monster showdown. Lastly, I enjoyed hunting them at the same time. It was an awesome challenge. Sometimes I threw dungbombs, sometimes I didn't.

@CrazedCavalier
Or come free of charge in addition to your traps, in addition to the bugs flying around that give you free paralysis, free flash bombs, free stuns, etc. It all adds up. Especially when we get two dragonator attacks by monsters in a single hunt.

PLAYING
New 3DS:
PS4 Pro:
Vita:
PC:

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic