Forums

Topic: Edge: The 100 Greatest Video Games of All Time

Posts 21 to 40 of 54

CaviarMeths

NintendoFan64 wrote:

"6-Tetris"
...REALLY?I mean, no offense to Tetris, but THAT high!?

Tetris is possibly still the most impeccably and perfectly designed video game ever made. It definitely deserves to be in the top 10.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

SuperWiiU

SpookyMeths wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

"6-Tetris"

Tetris is possibly still the most impeccably and perfectly designed video game ever made. It definitely deserves to be in the top 10.

But why include the original when there are more than a few far superior versions available? Pac-Man is great too, but they didn't include the original for that either.

bitleman

spizzamarozzi wrote:

This is, of course, terrible.
The point of this list is not to offer an historical perspective - it's just to make advertisers happy and keep the video game economy going (Edge's economy, I mean). These lists have to sell games. That's why most of the "100 greatest video games of all time" are all relatively recent games that you can go out and buy new.

bitleman

Koopa-King

Tetris is at 6 and yet Tetris DS is nowhere to be found. Worst list.

The fact you are reading this proves you are able to have an attention span longer than me. Well done sir or madam!

Nintendo Network ID: nyansloth

IceClimbers

Also, Titanfall is higher than Xenoblade? Really?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

SomeBitTripFan

Eh, just seems like a hoard of known/popular games slapped up in a semi-random fashion. That's probably the majority of "Top 100 Video Game" lists, but eh, some people tried to make a large list on a subjective topic, what are we supposed to expect?

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

RR529

I'm not going to give a thorough opinion on the list, because to be honest I haven't played enough of the games on the list to support or discredit it.

However, I find it odd if nothing else, that they picked Final Fantasy XII out of all the games in the series. I've always thought that it had more of a mixed reception?

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

skywake

shaneoh wrote:

The 100 Greatest Video Games of All Time...providing time started 10 years ago

To be fair most of these lists sort of lists usually face the opposite problem. People never rate recent history as being any good. Take music for example, this is the spread of music in the top 50 albums on Rate Your Music:
Untitled
I mean you could argue that that's just because "the 60s and 70s was the golden-age of music". But I don't think that's true. It's the same argument people make for games when they always rate SNES and NES classics above everything else. The difference is that for music not a lot has changed in terms of what music can be made. With games? I think it's hard to argue that modern games are less impressive.

To be fair I don't agree with a lot of this list. But none of what I disagree with it about has to do with them rating more modern games highly. If anything my main gripe is the fact that they still rate games like Super Mario 64 as highly as they do. Because as great as games like that were for their time, they haven't aged well.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Freeon-Leon

SuperWiiU wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

NintendoFan64 wrote:

"6-Tetris"

But why include the original when there are more than a few far superior versions available? Pac-Man is great too, but they didn't include the original for that either.

I'd say the original Tetris is still the best. It's the purest form of playing it and it's really addictive. Tetris DS is great but you can play it infinitely and that's not how Tetris should be played.

Oh and that list kinda sucks. It's like they didn't want to put more Nintendo games on the top spots just to make it look "balanced". I mean, Super Metroid is worse than all those games? Ugh.

Check out my super awesome Super Mario Maker levels.

3DS Friend Code: 4596-9585-5314 | Nintendo Network ID: JahirBGoode

Cia

Skyrim and Halo 3 shouldn't be on the list. Their popularity is not based on actual gameplay quality, but hype. Otherwise, I don't see any glaring troubles with this list.
Edit: Correction. The list lacks games such as Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger... -.-

Edited on by Cia

Cia

CaviarMeths

RR529 wrote:

I'm not going to give a thorough opinion on the list, because to be honest I haven't played enough of the games on the list to support or discredit it.

However, I find it odd if nothing else, that they picked Final Fantasy XII out of all the games in the series. I've always thought that it had more of a mixed reception?

I think it depends. Final Fantasy fandom seems to have "camps," some preferring the games with Sakaguchi/Amano and some preferring those with Nomura/Nojima. FFXII doesn't fall into either of those camps, but I think it's generally more highly regarded by the Sakaguchi/Amano camp. Or those who loved the heck out of Final Fantasy Tactics.

As far as critical reception goes, of which Edge would be a part, it was very highly regarded. It's tied with VI, VII, and X on Metacritic (92) and only IX has a higher score (94).

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

skywake

Cia wrote:

Skyrim and Halo 3 shouldn't be on the list. Their popularity is not based on actual gameplay quality, but hype. Otherwise, I don't see any glaring troubles with this list.
Edit: Correction. The list lacks games such as Final Fantasy VII and Chrono Trigger... -.-

There was a list created by an Australian gaming TV show about a year ago. They asked viewers to vote in which games were the "best games of all time". They put Skyrim on the top spot. So I think there's something to be said for the fact that multiple lists keep ranking that game as highly as they do. Do be fair they did put Chrono Trigger was at #77 and Final Fantasy 7 got #15. But even so, a lot of the games that were picked lined up with this list.

This was their top 20:
1. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2. The Last of Us
3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
4. Minecraft
5. Grand Theft Auto V
6. Portal 2
7. Red Dead Redemption
8. Fallout 3
9. Bioshock: Infinite
10. World of Warcraft

full episode is here BTW -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHZCRC9ltt4

And obviously even with that list you could complain. Super Mario Galaxy didn't rate and they put Super Mario 64 as the best one. Well, "we" put Super Mario 64 as the best one, it was a public vote and I did vote in it. They somehow found room for Watch_Dogs which in hindsight seems like a bit of a joke. They had Smash Bros in there but it happened to be Brawl. Again, easy to complain about any list someone comes up with. Nobody is every going to agree.

Edited on by skywake

Peek-a-boo

Trouble with this list is that it won't go down too well on a Nintendo dedicated website and that 80% of the list includes games that were available from 2010 onwards so, in other words, it is a modern list and not necessarily a 'greatest of all time including every era' list.

Four of the top ten games are available on the PlayStation 4, which is unusual for a barely two years old system, remasters or not. Bloodborne - for me - is still arguably the best game of this year too, even after the likes of The Witcher 3, Splatoon and Metal Gear Solid V.

I actually quite like this list, but not the positions of some key games.

How many more times can I say the word 'list'?

List.

Peek-a-boo

CaviarMeths

Peek-a-boo wrote:

Trouble with this list is that it won't go down too well on a Nintendo dedicated website and that 80% of the list includes games that were available from 2010 onwards so, in other words, it is a modern list and not necessarily a 'greatest of all time including every era' list.

I don't think it's going down well on any site. NeoGAF thread is nearly 1000 posts of people talking about how bad the list is, even in the context of "modern classics." One of the most glaring omissions pointed out was the almost complete lack of PC games.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

-Godot

Peach64 wrote:

92 - Final Fantasy XII

Wow, well if Final Fantasy XII is 92, I'm sure there will be plenty of other Final Fantasies and Square games spread throughout this list!
Well sh*t.
Edit: The JRPG count in this list is 3.
3 Games.

Edited on by -Godot

Currently bored (while change when I stop being bored)

Haru17

LOLOLOLOLOLOL "Hey guys, I'm here to tell you the top 10 games ever made. Hope you enjoy, bros~"

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

skywake

@Pahvi:
Very true. The major alternative/youth radio station in Australia did a public poll for the "top 100 greatest songs of all time" a few years back. They went through the list and I believe the vast majority of people were happy. AC/DC, The Clash, Violent Femmes, Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Queen and so on all appeared on the list. But then there were also artists like Muse and Oasis very high up in the list and.... some people lost their minds. As you can imagine.

"How dare people vote Wonderwall to be above A Day in the Life, All Along the Watchtower or God Only Knows"... or "how could people put Knights of Cydonia above Thriller and Blister in the Sun" etc, etc. Even if the list is very, very good people will find something to complain about. So a list like this that's just ok? People lose their minds.

Edited on by skywake

whodatninja

Bad list. Dark Souls? Bloodborne? No. Just no.

This list seems to come from someone who just entered the gaming scene recently.

The Phantom Pain is not the best Metal Gear. That would be the PS1 game. Or MGS3!

The best Batman Arkham is still Asylum, or City. Either of the two.

Bioshock and Mass Effect are way too low.

And Silent Hill 2 isn't even on the list.

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

Haru17

whodatninja wrote:

And Silent Hill 2 isn't even on the list.

That's 'cause it's not good like destiny, bros! Ya gotta git gud, bros~

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.