Forums

Topic: Edge: The 100 Greatest Video Games of All Time

Posts 1 to 20 of 54

Peach64

8 years since the last one, Edge have put out another special bookazine featuring their top 100 games of all time. The Wii U comes off quite well with two games in the top twenty. Plenty of variety here, with very few series seeing multiple entries. Great balance of new and old, and big budget and indie.

100 - WarioWare Inc - GBA
99 - Spec Ops: The Line
98 - Papers, Please
97 - DriveClub
96 - Braid
95 - Super Hexagon
94 - Her Story
93 - Super Monkey Ball
92 - Final Fantasy XII
91 - Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
90 - Katamari Damacy
89 - Animal Crossing: New Leaf
88 - Resogun
87 - Puzzle Bobble
86 - F-Zero GX
85 - The Sims 3
84 - R-Type Final
83 - Elite: Dangerous
82 - Bomberman
81 - Starcraft II
80 - Pac-Man Championship Edition
79 - BioShock
78 - CoD 4: Modern Warfare
77 - Puzzle & Dragons
76 - Tearaway
75 - League of Legends
74 - Super Meat Boy
73 - Xenoblade Chronicles
72 - Titanfall
71 - Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
70 - Left 4 Dead 2
69 - Counter-Strike Global Offensive
68 - Civilization IV
67 - Rez
66 - Battlefield 4
65 - Metroid Prime
64 - Hearthstone
63 - Castlevania SotN
62 - Limbo
61 - Towerfall: Ascension
60 - Earthbound
59 - Batman: Arkham Knight
58 - Transistor
57 - Puyo Puyo
56 - FTL Advanced Edition
55 - Persona 4 Golden
54 - Mass Effect 2
53 - Okami
52 - The Stanley Parable
51 - XCOM: Enemy Unknown
50 - Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
49 - The Witcher III
48 - Far Cry 4
47 - LittleBigPlanet 3
46 - Trials Fusion
45 - Nidhogg
44 - Fez
43 - Super Mario 3D World
42 - Journey
41 - Fire Emblem: Awakening
40 - Dead Space
39 - Dota 2
38 - Vanquish
37 - Super Mario Maker
36 - Shadow of the Colossus
35 - Halo 3
34 - Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
33 - Spelunky HD
32 - Destiny
31 - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
30 - Kerbal Space Program
29 - Dishonored
28 - Splatoon
27 - Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
26 - Rock Band 3
25 - Skyrim
24 - Drop7
23 - Uncharted 2
22 - Ico
21 - Super Metroid
20 - Demon's Souls
19 - Advance Wars
18 - Mario Kart 8
17 - Ultra Street Fighter IV
16 - MGS V: The Phantom Pain
15 - Super Mario World
14 - Red Dead Redemption
13 - Super Mario 64
12 - Portal
11 - Bayonetta 2
10 - Minecraft
9 - Resident Evil 4
8 - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7 - Super Mario Galaxy 2
6 - Tetris
5 - Half-Life 2
4 - Bloodborne
3 - The Last of Us
2 - GTA V
1 - Dark Souls

Peach64

gcunit

I wrote the list off once I saw Limbo on it.

Having Dark Souls at number 1 seals the deal (not that I've even played it, but that game's been out a while and, while it is rated, I've seen very little opinion that suggests it deserved a place in the top ten of all time).

And no Championship/Football Manager anywhere? Edge can do one...

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

6ch6ris6

i think it is a very odd list. many modern games on it which is kinda unusual for such lists. bloodborne and dark souls in the top 5 is kinda suspicious^^

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

Peach64

The magazine has a bunch of criteria as well as very lengthy pieces on each game. They say each game is judged for how it plays now, so while something like Doom might have been hugely important at the time, it's not something that will impress anyone that plays it for the first time today.

Peach64

SuperWiiU

Peach64 wrote:

The magazine has a bunch of criteria as well as very lengthy pieces on each game. They say each game is judged for how it plays now, so while something like Doom might have been hugely important at the time, it's not something that will impress anyone that plays it for the first time today.

I don't see why not, Doom still works very intuitively. If you've played Dark Souls, there is very little reason to include Demon's Souls for the same reason, but they still did.

Octane

30 - Kerbal Space Program

What is this doing here?

Octane

HawkeyeWii

Wow....... I've seen some bad lists and countdowns for best games of all time, but this definitely, pardon the pun, tops it. Have the people that made that list played an NES before?
To me the most accurate list I have ever seen is by Gameinformer's 200th issue. They did a top 200 games of all time.

And if they don't have numerous NES games on their because they "don't think they play well today" then they are just bad at videogames.

Edited on by HawkeyeWii

Friend Code 3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter:

Caryslan

As a Sega fan, I'm shocked by this list. None of the Genesis Sonic games deserve a spot? How about Phantasy Star IV? One of the Virtua Fighter games? Sonic CD?

Sega was the creator of some of the most innovative and successful games of all time. They deserve a better showing then this.

Caryslan

skywake

As a list of the best games of all time to play today? I think it's pretty good. I don't agree with some of the placements but quite a bit of that is purely because of my tastes. But a lot of the games I'd want to see on there are there. Ocarina of Time, Advance Wars, Portal, Bayonetta 2, Tetris, Splatoon, The Stanley Parable. All games I'd put on a short list of games I want to dive back into right this second.

And for sure everyone is going to have their own personally gripe about what game wasn't included. So here is mine. There are four Zelda games on there but they didn't have room for the best Zelda game ever made. Link's Awakening should be on that list, it it was my list Link's Awakening would be on the top spot.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

CaviarMeths

First time I've ever seen a top 10 list without Chrono Trigger, let alone an entire top 100.

Edit: The more I look at this list, the more baffling and terrible it is. It might make more sense as "Top 80ish games games from the last 5 years as well as some classics that people would burn us at the stake if we didn't include." There are so many games on there that aren't even the best of their own respective series, let alone greatest video games of all time.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

BearHunger

There is a severe lack of Rocket Knight Adventures, but I am glad to see a Puzzle Bobble game on there.

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

Ralizah

Old and new games are not balanced well in the rankings. Around 13 of the top 20 games were released after the start of last gen. I'm not saying that most of these aren't fine games, but it is obvious that newer games are over-represented in this list. Moreover, this list is reflective of popular taste and little else, as evidenced by the fact that most of the From Software games are ranked so highly. Again, I'm not saying they're bad games, but this does line up very neatly with the surge of interest in FromSoft since the release of Bloodborne.

Also, this is a list that ranks Nidhogg above Castlevania: SOTN, Metroid Prime, and Xenoblade Chronicles. Let that sink in.

All-time lists don't work for me, to be honest, because what is considered good or innovative changes from one gen to the next.

This list was obviously constructed by a person who enjoys action/shooting games and doesn't particularly care for RPGS, as evidenced by the severe lack of Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Shin Megami Tensei, and other legendary franchises and properties. Also, The Witcher III might have gotten a spot in this list due to its popularity, but many legendary cRPGs are conspicuously absent as well.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

ejamer

Wow. Lists like this are always subjective, but calling this selection the 100 greatest games of all time is laughable.

It's a list of good - mostly recent, with a few classics thrown in for nostalgia - games. It could pass as a list of greatest games if coming from a group of people who probably don't have enough perspective to define what is truly great... but you would assume that Edge writers know better than that.

Then again, I never have had much faith in Edge and the opinions they print. This list kind of confirms that they are full of (edit) garbage.

Edited on by ejamer

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

NintendoFan64

"6-Tetris"
...REALLY?I mean, no offense to Tetris, but THAT high!?

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

spizzamarozzi

This is, of course, terrible.
The point of this list is not to offer an historical perspective - it's just to make advertisers happy and keep the video game economy going (Edge's economy, I mean). These lists have to sell games. That's why most of the "100 greatest video games of all time" are all relatively recent games that you can go out and buy new.

Edited on by spizzamarozzi

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

IceClimbers

@NintendoFan64: Tetris is probably the one I have the least amount of issues with. I definitely think it deserves to be in the Top 10.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Whydoievenbother

Just because someone's list of favorite games doesn't align with yours, that does not make it invalid

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

Megas75
  • No MGS3
  • Only Final Fantasy is XII
  • Bioshock and Xenoblade are too low
  • No Medal of Honor Frontline

Untitled

Whelp, there's my obligatory personal response to someone else's personal opinion that doesn't reflect the VG community as a whole

Edited on by Megas75

Steam/NNID/Xbox Gamertag - Megas75

Gamer83

I laughed the second I saw DriveClub on there.

Gamer83

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.