Forums

Topic: 2014: The Worst Year For Gaming I Can Remember

Posts 21 to 40 of 57

DefHalan

I got shadow of mordor on my PC and after playing just a hour of it, it seems to be one of the highlights of the year. It stacks up well against Nintendo games so far even.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

NinjaWaddleDee

Buying that stupid freaking PS4 day one was one of the biggest money sinks I have ever had the misfortune of getting into. I can honestly say only ONE GAME truly interests me next year: Uncharted 4. That's it. It's sad really.

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

Faruko

NinjaWaddleDee wrote:

Buying that stupid freaking PS4 day one was one of the biggest money sinks I have ever had the misfortune of getting into. I can honestly say only ONE GAME truly interests me next year: Uncharted 4. That's it. It's sad really.

You are not alone my friend, you are not alone

exclusives has been so bad its mind blowing, and third party games are much much much (infinite) much better on my PC, which is not even a super high end PC to begin with (270x / i5 3570k / 16gb Ram)

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

MajinSoul

I think it depends. If you were one of those that bought into the overhyped games like Watch Dogs, Assassins Creed and the likes then yes, must have been a dissappointing year for you. I just hope you have learned your lesson. Personally, 2014 was a blast in terms of gaming for me. Here's a list of games from 2014 that I highly enjoyed:
Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 1 / 2, Hyrule Warriors, Super Smash Bros U, Stealth Inc. 2, Steamworld Dig (WiiU), Transistor, Invisible Inc. (Early Access), Don't Starve Reign of Giants, Muramasa Rebirth Genroku Legends, FFX HD Remaster and many more I can't think of atm. Oh, and of course my personal game of the year: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.

MajinSoul

Nintendo Network ID: UtoKid | Twitter:

shingi_70

Destiny and Watchdogs are two of the most underwhelming games (no matter how much I enjoyed them) and they were two of the top sellers for the year. It says something about the industry right now. Watchdogs I don't mind, but Destiny should have been delayed. (still going to by the dlc though).

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

rallydefault

shingi_70 wrote:

Destiny and Watchdogs are two of the most underwhelming games (no matter how much I enjoyed them) and they were two of the top sellers for the year. It says something about the industry right now. Watchdogs I don't mind, but Destiny should have been delayed. (still going to by the dlc though).

I think a lot of that depends on perspective, though. For me, I haven't played any GTA games since the PS2 (many, many, many moons ago), so I actually had no problem with Watchdogs. Everyone crying, "It's just a GTA clone with hacking!" really meant nothing to me because I hadn't played GTA in so long, so the gameplay was engaging and, dare I say, quite good. But that was for me, but I'm wagering there are people out there in the same boat.

Same thing goes with Destiny. Sure, a bunch of vocal people are going to whine about it being too much like Halo, but if you don't play Halo non-stop, then what's the big deal? If the game's fun for you, then it's fun, and I think a lot of people like it for what it is.

rallydefault

6ch6ris6

"THAT CONTROVERSY" ???

i really hate what gaming has become. too much mainstream for my taste. today it is cool to be a nerd. therefore many people call themselfs nerds even though they don't know jack about videogames...
too many people buying broken games, DLC, rehashes.

as for 2014: i only have a 3DS for gaming so it was a weak year. only one new retail game that i got on launch (fantasy life). but i bought a few games that i wanted to play for a long time (resident evil revelations and mercenaries for example). and i bought a used original xbox. love that console. i think i will play more "retro" stuff in the next years as the modern gaming industrie kinda sucks...

Ryzen 5 2600
2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3000mhz
GTX 1060 6GB

MasterWario

I can definitely say last year I didn't like calling myself a gamer.
Maybe its just the world I didn't see until now, but I didn't like the atmosphere it was turning into; the types of games and the people who I kept seeing play them weren't what I expected.

But maybe that's just it. That expectations were shattered, and it was a real eye-opener as to what it means to be a gamer, and what does gaming mean to me (you).

I definitely have a lot to think about this year in terms of gaming, that's for sure.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

CanisWolfred

NinjaWaddleDee wrote:

Meanwhile I have a list of 44 PS4 games I'm interested in getting next year (assuming they all come out, I'm expecting at least 15 will miss the cut-off date). Only 7 of which are out already, and 5 are remixes of games I own already but still want on the PS4 for one reason or another.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

WiiWareWave

@kkslider5552000 What I've noticed is that there were more great games this year than there were during the past five or six years, the problem was that the AAA games definitely dropped in quality while the indie games really took center stage with games such as Shovel Knight, Shantae And The Pirate's Curse, Pier Solar And The Great Architects HD, and many more!

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

PSN ID: Rukiafan7
NNID: Rukiafan7
Switch FC: SW-6328-7327-5891 ~WiiWareWav~

Switch Friend Code: SW-6328-7327-5891 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiafan7 | Twitter:

DylanMcGrann

The gaming industry is in a weird transitive state right now created by multiple factors: the rising costs of AAA and AA development since last generation; the fall of many mid-tier developers; the rise of cheap mobile platforms; the rise of the Internet (and the many things that entails); the recession; and most importantly, falling wages against inflation, especially in America—video gaming's largest market. I know many people and parents that literally cannot afford game consoles anymore and would definitely buy them if they felt they could, and unfortunately that's not just anecdotal. The average person has simply stopped spending as much as they once did, and video gaming is suffering because of it and will continue to suffer until wages increase or (this segment of) the industry adapts by finding a way to satisfy demand at a lower cost.

I think most companies know this though.

DylanMcGrann

3DS Friend Code: 0860-3388-5483 | Nintendo Network ID: Tainy_Tonner | Twitter:

Ralek85

Tainy wrote:

especially in America—video gaming's largest market

Is that so? I would have thought, that by now Europe ought to be biggest single market for videogames, by some margin even. I'm not telling, just asking.

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

DylanMcGrann

Ralek85 wrote:

Tainy wrote:

Is that so? I would have thought, that by now Europe ought to be biggest single market for videogames, by some margin even. I'm not telling, just asking.

No. The United States is still the largest market, but that's by country. I'm not familiar with how large Europe is overall. The first country that might overtake the U.S. is China (currently 2nd largest), now that they're government is becoming more lax on games. Japan is the third largest market. Beyond that, I don't know.

DylanMcGrann

3DS Friend Code: 0860-3388-5483 | Nintendo Network ID: Tainy_Tonner | Twitter:

HankLangley

But what about sonic boom, i think that fixed the year up for games pretty well

real Italian meatballs are made by real Italian meatball men.

Used to be Doge

3DS Friend Code: 3394-3778-3936 | Nintendo Network ID: Gansano

Punished_Boss_84

I cannot agree with you more even if I didn't want to read the OP (skimmed reading, wasn't interested in reading more), I agree with the title I'll give you that.

But new year, new start, cliched saying or rather better games, like what's coming next month.

Edited on by Punished_Boss_84

"They played us like a damn fiddle!" - MGS5
"Finish your mission, prove your loyalty." - MGS3
"We could take a s*** on you from such a height, you'd think God himself has crapped on you!" - GTA: SA
Currently Playing: The Phantom Pain.

3DS Friend Code: 3840-6320-8217

Ralek85

Tainy wrote:

Ralek85 wrote:

Tainy wrote:

No. The United States is still the largest market, but that's by country. I'm not familiar with how large Europe is overall. The first country that might overtake the U.S. is China (currently 2nd largest), now that they're government is becoming more lax on games. Japan is the third largest market. Beyond that, I don't know.

Oh no sure I understand, if you're going by country, not by region, than the U.S. is certainly the single biggest one.

Edited on by Ralek85

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

retired_account

It was a brilliant year for gaming. There have been some fantastic AAA titles like Smash and Dragon Age Inquisition, and a bunch of new instant-classic indie gems like Shovel Knight, 1001 Spikes, Transistor and Velocity 2X. Throw in my ridiculously huge backlog (and Suikoden II FINALLY being released digitally on PSN), and I've had more than enough games to play.

Only thing that could've made it better would've been Kid Tripp 2.

The controversy stuff has been horrid and stupid and awful, but the only way to win that game is not to play. As long as the power of anonymity exists on the Internet, hateful people will be hateful and the only way to combat them is to deny them the attention they crave (and bring down the banhammers whenever possible).

retired_account

LzWinky

pixelman wrote:

You should make Kid Tripp Boom!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

retired_account

WaLzgi wrote:

pixelman wrote:

You should make Kid Tripp Boom!

I'm pretty sure it would Kid Tripp Bomb.

retired_account

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.