Forums

Topic: Octopath Traveler

Posts 161 to 180 of 619

Kimyonaakuma

@rallydefault I've been going at a pace of one character an hour, but I feel like I'm rushing because I usually like to take my time. I might just start the whole game from the beginning and not transfer the save data.

I'm suprised to see how much variety each character has, but so far I've only completed the first chapters for Tressa, Cyrus, Ophelia and Alfyn...and Primrose and Olberic unless those two have changed since the first demo.

I know they said the main game should last about 60 hours but it seems so small at the moment! You can complete the first chapter in each character's story in an hour, and the journal seems to suggest that first section is between 1/3 to 1/4 of their story. And each area seems to be much closer than the map suggests...

I'm enjoying it and I already have it preordered, I just don't want it to end quickly after looking forward to it for a year and a half

Kimyonaakuma

MeatSauce

Looking forward to this hopefully it doesn’t disappoint me like XC2 which felt more like one giant tutorial instead of a game.

MeatSauce

rallydefault

@MeatSauce
I will finish XC2 this summer, but mostly against my will. I really wanted to like the game, but I despise the battle system. I do understand it (watched lots of videos and I have put about 20 hours into the game), but I'm just a sucker for the old-school menu RPGs.

@Kimyonaakuma
Yea, you can complete the initial chapters in an hour each, so there's eight hours. Then let's say each character "only" has 3 chapters, so that would be 24 hours total if all chapters are the same length as the first ones.

So we're at 24 hours not including the world map zones (which some of those areas are bigger than you think... I did a lot of wandering around and came across a few caves/dungeon-looking areas that were very high level) and not including the possibility of fourth chapters for the characters or even chapters that combine the characters or provide mid/final points to an encompassing story. I also don't think the 2nd, 3rd, 4th chapters will be as short as the first ones, but I could be wrong. Say the second and third chapters take 2 hours each instead of 1... you'd already be up to an estimated time of 40 hours!

I'm thinking... 40 hours for people who basically get straight to the objectives is going to be the bare minimum here. I think the 60+ hour estimate is for the people who hunt all the chests, do all the dungeons, etc. I'm sure they'll have lots of the typical RPG distractions mixed in like challenge dungeons with unlimited floors, hidden bosses, etc. And I think the 40/60 hours split is common, too, or at least that's what I remember all the Final Fantasies on Playstation being around.

rallydefault

Kimyonaakuma

@rallydefault I didn't even come across any other areas until the 6th character (Alfyn) where I found a level 22 dungeon by accident and then a town that I couldn't visit in the demo. But until that point I naturally just reached the next area without reading any signs or the map, but I'm hoping the rest of the areas are a little bigger.

After thinking about it the starting areas might be deliberately close so you can quickly meet all of the characters and then it will become deeper as each character's story progresses. Maybe the first chapter or two is shorter just so you don't spend ages with a low level character, which would make sense as you can't leave the area. I don't think we'll really know until the full version comes out but I'm hoping that each character doesn't have a story that's cut short just to keep it at a similar level as the others.

I only have H'aanit's section left so hopefully it's just as good!

Kimyonaakuma

Ralizah

rallydefault wrote:

I will finish XC2 this summer, but mostly against my will.

You need to call the police and report that guy who is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to play a game you're not enjoying.

Ralizah

MeatSauce

@rallydefault I wanted to love XC2 too I bought it one day I was so looking forward to it but I just couldn’t get into it and I just gave up and sold it to my friend who loved it and even got the dlc.

MeatSauce

rallydefault

@Ralizah
Yea, his name is me. I bought the game, so I want to finish it. I like to finish things I start...usually. I don't think I'll ever finish Disgaea 5. I don't have it in me lol

rallydefault

Ralizah

@rallydefault If I'm really not enjoying something, I won't bother finishing it. Games are supposed to be fun, you know?

I like Disgaea games, but they're all very samey, so I need multiple years in between them to not get tired of them.

Ralizah

darkfenrir

For the ones that have played it, does the weakness we found is tracked?

For example, we met enemy A, we found that it's weak to dagger attack. Finished the battle, then meet enemy A again... do we still know it's weak to dagger attack? I remember the first demo didn't remember the weakness at all and hope the main game will fix that.

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

FX102A

So I downloaded the demo and I couldn't even get passed the first cutscene. Not because its bad but because the silly timer was impacting my enjoyment. I want to take my time and like to listen to the full Japanese speech even if I've already read the subs. So decided not to bother and played the Shinng Resonance demo instead.

FX102A

darkfenrir

@Tsurii Huh? weird, I remember playing first demo and the weakness stayed ??? even though I met the same enemy...

Nonetheless as long as it's there I'm glad then, I can't remember them all.

darkfenrir

darkfenrir

@Tsurii Yeah, I know that. What I mean was the weakness icon underneath them. I remember those being filled up at the first fight, and yet second fight against the enemy still keep it question marks as if I never found those weakness in the first place.

darkfenrir

Kimyonaakuma

@darkfenrir Well I've played every part of the second demo and it definitely remembers what each enemy is weak to once you find it.

...but I'm pretty sure that was the case in the original demo

I wish the demo either didn't have a timer and offered less or gave us less time. I just felt rushed to see as much as I could, which is very different to how I usually play RPGs. I'm considering just starting from the beginning in the full game but we'll see...

Kimyonaakuma

darkfenrir

@Kimyonaakuma Gotcha thanks! Maybe my demo had a freak of nature or something and caused it to not happen (Or my memory's faulty, either way it's my wrong though)

darkfenrir

bixente

I played some of the Ophilia demo, really enjoyed it. Hooked me into the story so quickly, and the music is so beautiful. I wasn't really looking forward to this game before, but I'll certainly be picking it up now.

bixente

rallydefault

@Ralizah
No. I did not know games were supposed to be fun. To quote James Bond, I guess that's what I've been doing wrong for 30 years lol

rallydefault

MeatSauce

I finished the demo and really enjoyed it the only thing I found weird was the first few minutes had full voice acting then it went to one word to cover a couple sentences of dialogue.Looking forward to my preorder arriving on the 13th.

Edited on by MeatSauce

MeatSauce

Judi

@darkfenrir There are two versions of some enemies (for example, one with a guard of 1 and one with a guard of 2). The game treats them as separate entities, so if even if you know the weaknesses of Ratman I you technically don't know the weaknesses of Ratman II (though, they will probably be the same).

Currently procrastinating on: implementing virtual memory and synchronization.
Currently distracted with: Mario Tennis Aces

Switch Friend Code: SW-1341-6334-2439

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic