Forums

Topic: Octopath Traveler

Posts 621 to 628 of 628

Xyphon22

I finally "beat" the game. I finished the final Chapter 4 and completed everybody's story, so I am good with that. I looked up the FINAL dungeon/boss, and it does not sound like fun. I do not want to do a 9-fight boss rush in one sitting. Does anyone think it's actually worthwhile to do, rather than just watching a video so I can see the "true" ending? I also found it really weird that four of the stories (Cyrus, Ophilia, Therion, and Olberic) connect in the end, another two (Alfyn and Tressa) connect to each other, and then Primrose and Ha'anit have no connection to any of the others whatsoever. Are more connections made in the final dungeon or certain side stories that I didn't do? Because that is really weird. (Actually, I think while looking things up I actually saw that a certain monster actually used to be someone else who does connect, but I never learned that in my playthrough.

Edited on by Xyphon22

Xyphon22

3DS Friend Code: 5069-3937-8083

Ryu_Niiyama

@Xyphon22 Primrose’s quest is kicked off because her father has knowledge about the gate and the organization that killed him (whose founder is tied to ophelia). Ha’anit’s final boss is the first attempt at a vessel for the true boss. They all have some connection to each other even if the connection was established before the characters were born. One of the things that I love about the series so far.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Xyphon22

@Ryu_Niiyama Yeah, I kind of learned all that looking things up afterwards, but I never learned it during my playthrough (unless Primrose's stuff was in like Chapter 1, I started it so long ago I may have forgotten). I think I plan on doing whatever side quests I haven't done yet to unlock the final dungeon and going up to the point where I have to enter the point of no return in the Gate just to experience the story for myself. Then MAYBE I'll try inside the Gate once and see how I do, but I'll probably just find a video of it online.

And I think I already know the answer to this question, but is there any connection between Octopath and Triangle Strategy? I generally like JRPGs far more than strategy games, but everyone keeps raving about TS. I tried the demo and found it pretty slow but not bad. I'm just wondering if I should bother with TS or not, as I already have so much else to play and too little time.

Xyphon22

Ryu_Niiyama

@Xyphon22 redeye’s true nature is revealed at the end game (you haven’t beaten the final boss). Actually all the characters get a bit of an info dump at the end game which helps put things together. And of course there is the prequel game which explains more. I do hope they figure out a way to retool the prequel game to console because it explains a lot of the history of the gods/world.

No relationship to Triangle Strategy. Granted great game. At this point my GOTY this year.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Xyphon22

@Ryu_Niiyama Is that the mobile game? I actually looked that up a few days ago and saw that it is free with in-app purchases, so I might give it a go for a bit even though I never play mobile games. And with no relationship I'll wait for a big sale to give Triangle Strategy a go, although I might just try the demo again and see if I connect with it better.

Edit: OK, yeah, I'm not doing the final dungeon. I went through the gate and did one battle. It was really easy but took me a long time. The boss just couldn't do any damage to me, but all I could do was slowly wear him down. I went online to see if this was the norm, and most people said that when you are ready to beat the final boss you should be able to get through the entire 8 boss gauntlet in about 10-15 minutes by beating them all in only 1-3 hits (and by ready they said probably level 60-65 for all party members, and only one of my members is that high). So clearly I'm not ready, so I'm not going to go through the gauntlet just to get creamed by the final boss. So to Youtube I go. Fortunately, the boss I randomly picked was Primrose's, and the journal that frees up afterwards greatly showed the connection between her story and all the others, so now I understand that one.

Edited on by Xyphon22

Xyphon22

Ryu_Niiyama

@Xyphon22 If you are a tactics fan then Triangle Strategy is the way to go even at full price (got it day one and couldn't put it down until I beat a route) but If you are looking for a standard JRPG like Octopath then yeah hold off.

Yeah I just grinded for a really, really long time (DQ fan so I'm used to it) before I took on the final boss. but youtube or the wiki are more than enough to explain what is going on. I didn't play the mobile game for long (just don't like to game on my phone) so I had to wiki it back in the day. But it was worth it. It really fleshes out the world but in a way that doesn't feel like a retcon. It's obvious that they planned the two to be companion games from the start...I just wish they had made a console version.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Xyphon22

I'm generally not a tactics fan. The only game in the tactics/strategy genres I've ever really played and enjoyed is Stella Glow. But if I ever find it on a really good sale I'll give it try.

But wow, I just watched a video of the final dungeon. Yeah, I'm nowhere near good enough right now to defeat the final boss, and it will take way too long with way too much grinding to get there, so no, I'm definitely done with this game. I enjoyed it, but it's time for me to move on. The ending was also fairly mundane, so I don't think I'm missing anything by just watching it rather than playing it. Although I will say that final boss fight looked amazing. The video I watched, the player didn't even attack in the last phase for like 10-15 turns at least. They spent that long building up their defense and buffs and stuff. That's what I most liked about this game, the battles were very strategic with multiple ways to go about them.

Xyphon22

Magician

I've owned my copy for years, but I'm finally now starting my first playthrough.

I began with Tressa.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,241 games (as of March 23rd, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic