Forums

Topic: Octopath Traveler

Posts 141 to 160 of 628

Ralizah

@darkfenrir 50 - 60 for main story is really long, if true.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

darkfenrir

@Ralizah Unless they overly estimates thing, I would say 50-70 hours of average play hours seems good.

Like leaning to 50 for main story focused and leaning to 70 for completionist (or even more)

darkfenrir

Maxz

@maelis According to the website, the European version of the game will support Japanese, English, and a wealth of European languages. What's not clear is whether it will function like BotW now, or BotW at launch.

In the current version of BotW, you can change language settings for voice acting and for text independently, and from within the game. But at launch, in order to access Japanese language settings, you needed to change the language settings of the Switch itself, and couldn't set vocals and texts to different languages.

I can't say which Octopath is going to be, although for some reason I'm leaking towards the former.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

toiletduck

FX102A wrote:

Okay....my downloaded demos have just disappeared from my Switch! And I didn't even get round to play them!

I know a new one is planned soon but still, what the eck??

The old demo (incl. savegame) is still present on mine... (EU)?

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

maelis

@Maxz

thank you very much! So that means japanese is in!!
yeahh it should require to put your console in japanese normally^^

Some games with a lot of video that are not in japanese in the european version usually don't have japanese settings because of size i think : for example xenoblade 2
But for mario or zelda, no problem, there isn't o lot of audio..
Although bayonnetta eu has a japanese setting and it has quite a bit of videos^^

maelis

Arcamenel

I've only played an hour of the demo as Cyrus but I am beyond sold on it and can't wait for the full release.

Derrick
3DS FC: 1693 - 1069 - 1732

rallydefault

I'm almost at my 3-hour limit for this demo (played heck out of the first one). Started with Alfynn the Apothecary, did everything I could do thus far in his little area, and now I'm about 2.5 hours and made it to the thief (Theron or something like that, I think).

Hopped onto Amazon about an hour in to place my preorder. Was holding out as I'm not a preorder guy, but dang... this takes me back to the early Final Fantasies and Tactics, for some reason. I love the battle system with the charging or whatever they call it, and I love the old-school, not-too-complicated, not-too-simple inventory/skills/party management system. Just very classic overall with a couple new ideas that integrate well. BIGGEST thing that really hooked me, though, is the writing/characters so far. I liked I Am Setsuna, but this is so much stronger in the storytelling, and you can tell it had more time and money pumped into it.

Hats off to Square Enix for making this for the Switch - mid July will be a longish wait, but I'll be playing Mario Aces in between.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

FX102A

@toiletduck I actually downloaded both the Japanese and UK demos; actually not sure if I may have deleted them (RPG demos are not really my thing) but I then remembered enjoying Bravely Seconds and decided to give it a try and discovered it was gone as was the download option.

FX102A

Kimyonaakuma

Has anyone been playing the Prologue Demo? I started with Tressa and have also managed to complete the first chapter with Cyrus, I only have an hour left though

Kimyonaakuma

rallydefault

@Kimyonaakuma
Yea - I only got through 2 characters (barely) before my 3 hours were up. I did wander around a bit after my starting point, though.

From what I can tell, the demo doesn't stop you until you try to zone out of whatever screen you are on. This does mean that if you get in combat in an overworld screen, I think the demo will stop when you pop back out. But if you're in a city or something, you can continue to walk around and use shops and stuff as long as you don't cause a loading screen. Not that it really matters, just thought it was interesting.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Ryu_Niiyama

For the 3 hour limit, does it allow you to start over if you clear the save data?

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ralizah

I've been so taken in by Hollow Knight that I completely neglected to try out the new demo for this game.

Judi

@Ryu_Niiyama You don't even have clear the data manually, you can just open the demo and start a new file. The limit is save file dependent.

Currently procrastinating on: implementing virtual memory and synchronization.
Currently distracted with: Mario Tennis Aces

Switch Friend Code: SW-1341-6334-2439

Ryu_Niiyama

Noice!!

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Kimyonaakuma

@rallydefault I've been going at a pace of one character an hour, but I feel like I'm rushing because I usually like to take my time. I might just start the whole game from the beginning and not transfer the save data.

I'm suprised to see how much variety each character has, but so far I've only completed the first chapters for Tressa, Cyrus, Ophelia and Alfyn...and Primrose and Olberic unless those two have changed since the first demo.

I know they said the main game should last about 60 hours but it seems so small at the moment! You can complete the first chapter in each character's story in an hour, and the journal seems to suggest that first section is between 1/3 to 1/4 of their story. And each area seems to be much closer than the map suggests...

I'm enjoying it and I already have it preordered, I just don't want it to end quickly after looking forward to it for a year and a half

Kimyonaakuma

MeatSauce

Looking forward to this hopefully it doesn’t disappoint me like XC2 which felt more like one giant tutorial instead of a game.

MeatSauce

rallydefault

@MeatSauce
I will finish XC2 this summer, but mostly against my will. I really wanted to like the game, but I despise the battle system. I do understand it (watched lots of videos and I have put about 20 hours into the game), but I'm just a sucker for the old-school menu RPGs.

@Kimyonaakuma
Yea, you can complete the initial chapters in an hour each, so there's eight hours. Then let's say each character "only" has 3 chapters, so that would be 24 hours total if all chapters are the same length as the first ones.

So we're at 24 hours not including the world map zones (which some of those areas are bigger than you think... I did a lot of wandering around and came across a few caves/dungeon-looking areas that were very high level) and not including the possibility of fourth chapters for the characters or even chapters that combine the characters or provide mid/final points to an encompassing story. I also don't think the 2nd, 3rd, 4th chapters will be as short as the first ones, but I could be wrong. Say the second and third chapters take 2 hours each instead of 1... you'd already be up to an estimated time of 40 hours!

I'm thinking... 40 hours for people who basically get straight to the objectives is going to be the bare minimum here. I think the 60+ hour estimate is for the people who hunt all the chests, do all the dungeons, etc. I'm sure they'll have lots of the typical RPG distractions mixed in like challenge dungeons with unlimited floors, hidden bosses, etc. And I think the 40/60 hours split is common, too, or at least that's what I remember all the Final Fantasies on Playstation being around.

rallydefault

Kimyonaakuma

@rallydefault I didn't even come across any other areas until the 6th character (Alfyn) where I found a level 22 dungeon by accident and then a town that I couldn't visit in the demo. But until that point I naturally just reached the next area without reading any signs or the map, but I'm hoping the rest of the areas are a little bigger.

After thinking about it the starting areas might be deliberately close so you can quickly meet all of the characters and then it will become deeper as each character's story progresses. Maybe the first chapter or two is shorter just so you don't spend ages with a low level character, which would make sense as you can't leave the area. I don't think we'll really know until the full version comes out but I'm hoping that each character doesn't have a story that's cut short just to keep it at a similar level as the others.

I only have H'aanit's section left so hopefully it's just as good!

Kimyonaakuma

Ralizah

rallydefault wrote:

I will finish XC2 this summer, but mostly against my will.

You need to call the police and report that guy who is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to play a game you're not enjoying.

MeatSauce

@rallydefault I wanted to love XC2 too I bought it one day I was so looking forward to it but I just couldn’t get into it and I just gave up and sold it to my friend who loved it and even got the dlc.

MeatSauce

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic