Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 6,481 to 6,500 of 70,107

Moshugan

@Grumblevolcano Interesting!

@skywake Thanks for the link! It seems that someone else already did the work for me. Curious that some figures are way different (specifically Xbox attach rates being so high).

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

Shinion

@BLP_Software I still don't think that people having to justify their purchases lest they incur the wrath of other more enlightened and open minded hardcore gamers should be relevant though. Pretty poor that. Buy what you want. Support who you want. Criticise companies but not the individuals who support them, no matter what you may think of that company. As an example, I lothe microtransactions in retail games but I ain't going to try and give you shade if you buy 100 loot boxes in Overwatch. Same principles here of course.

Edited on by Shinion

Shinion

Haruki_NLI

@Shinion People shouldnt have to I aggree. You do you is my favourite phrase. But some people wont understand and explanation is needed.

No company needs money but if you feel they earn your custom go righy ahead. Its your cash after all.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Samurai_Goroh

I'm not giving too much credit to Emily Rogers (Yes, I am one of those people!). But Nintendo could have several aces up their sleeve to go along with Zelda, most 1st and 2nd party studios have been quiet for far too long.
Also, it would be a new low for Nintendo if Breath of the Wild was cancelled for Wii U, at this point I can't fathom it not happening.

Edited on by Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh

IceClimbers

@Whitewatermoose Sitting on a finished Mario game for 6 months and launching Zelda while it has momentum would be smarter if they're not going to launch them together.

Out of the three main enhanced ports (Smash, Kart 8, Splatoon), I'd say that Mario Kart 8 is the smartest one to have at launch. Smash should be the last of the three to launch, in say September or so (with Splatoon in May). Only reason to have Smash launch any earlier is if they plan on pushing it for EVO, in which case April is when you launch it.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

FragRed

@Whitewatermoose I agree with having Mario at launch, it is their biggest franchise, and one of the most notable gaming mascots. And this being a full 64-esque Mario launching with the Switch certainly gives me vibes of the N64 and how much that got people talking. Zelda Breath of the Wild seems like a great holiday game, which is the real test for the system in terms of sales.

However I don't think we will see FIFA or NBA at launch. It makes more sense to wait for FIFA 18 and NKA 2K18 etc in the holiday along with the other consoles. But make sure people know these titles are coming during the January presentation.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Shinion

@Samurai_Goroh It won't happen. There's being reasonably pessimistic and that's entirely understandable and fine and then there's "BUT WHAT IF XXXXXXXX HAPPENS THO!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?". BotW being cancelled on Wii U is unquestionably the latter.

It's worth noting that these people who jump to these conclusions are very one sided and predictable, and were adamant that the NX was going to be delayed beyond March because of reasons.

There's nothing to worry about regarding the Wii U version. They streamed it for many hours at E3 of all places clearly on a Wii U and they've had months in which they could've and would've announced the cancellation were it a possibility. BoTW is as much of a Wii U game as any of the others being ported to the Switch.

Shinion

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed I disagree, unless Nintendo is cancelling the Wii U version of BotW that is or if the new 3D Mario has a Wii U version. If the Wii U version of BotW still exists and the new 3D Mario is Switch exclusive then BotW should be a Switch launch title.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano But then what big title do you have for the holidays? And do you want to risk placing your arguably biggest games both at launch? Most people will buy one or the other, not both especially if there are third party games they also want to purchase.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed If the rumour about Game Freak is true (i.e. them making games for Switch) then the big holiday title being Pokemon, throw in other stuff like Animal Crossing and more MK8 DLC (Pokemon and Mario Kart are both bigger than Zelda and Mario platformers).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

IceClimbers

There's also whatever Retro is working on. Regardless, I feel that 3D Mario will be the holiday title.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Nonno_Umby

FragRed wrote:

@Nonno_Umby That second tweet means nothing, it could merely be indie developers with games that require little CPU/GPU resources who are moving games over to the Switch. Doesn't really say anything about what the hardware is capable of achieving.

I don't know, but mr. Mochizuki is a Wall Street Journal reporter, and is way more connected to big Japanese developer like Square Enix than little indie stydios (which are very rare in Japan, btw).

Also I expect Zelda to be the big launch title, with the ports during the first year and Mario as the holiday title. Miyamoto did stated during E3 2016 that the new Mario would come "in a year or two, maybe we will talk about it next E3", so I doubt that the game will be ready for March.

Edited on by Nonno_Umby

Nonno_Umby

Moshugan

Oh gosh, having to wait until Holiday 2017 for BotW would be horrible...

@Grumblevolcano \"If the rumour about Game Freak is true (i.e. them making games for Switch)\"

Huh? That ain't no rumor. The CEO of Pokémon Company himself said "we're making games for the NX"!

Edited on by Moshugan

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

Samurai_Goroh

@Moshugan Game Freak and The Pokémon Company are not the same thing. He could be talking about Pokken, Mystery Dungeon or any other spin-off.

Samurai_Goroh

Luna_110

I think they won't release Zelda and Mario simultanously, it makes more sense for Zelda to be a launch title and Mario to be released on holidays 2017 (9 months later).

For the Wii, Twilight Princess was part of the launch lineup and Galaxy was released a year later, for holidays 2007, so it wouldn't be the first time they do it either.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Okami HD, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

skywake

I don't see how Mario being basically finished is a bad thing if true. They're saying it's further along than Zelda, well ok. But Zelda looks to be pretty far along at this point. If Mario is a launch title and Zelda comes out within the year? That's still one hell of a first year for a Nintendo console.

Imagine if the Wii instead of launching with Twilight Princess had launched with Super Mario Galaxy. And then Twilight Princess was delayed until August 2007 or something. Would that have been such a bad thing? Well, no. Unless you were one of the people who had a Gamecube and had no intention of getting a Wii.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Octane

Wii U version of BOTW is fine. It would be a waste to cancel a version that is this far in development. I'm not sure it's a launch game though, it's definitely not confirmed. Anyway, I do agree with @Whitewatermoose launching with Zelda and Mario Kart may be the best situation. Zelda has gotten plenty of media attention already, and it would send out a message about what the console is really all about. Mario Kart is probably their biggest franchise, so it makes sense to have that on top of everything else. 3D Mario games sell well, but compared to Mario Kart? And especially combined with Zelda, I don't think it stands a chance. Splatoon did pretty well on the Wii U, and will undoubtedly do well on the Switch too. But it's a fairly new game, so it's definitely more risky than launching with Mario Kart. Anyway, it doesn't really matter, as all those games are probably going to be launch year games. It only means I have to wait another 6 months to play Zelda...

@rallydefault To each their own? Disagreeing with someone doesn't mean I think any less of them! It's just something that I would never do myself. I've had many people tell me before that I should've bought third party games on the Wii U if I wanted more of them. Or that I should've bought more indie games, just to support the smaller companies. My time and money are limited, so I'm only going to buy the things I really like (and I still have a pretty decent backlog!), but I wouldn't favour one purchase over the other to just support a certain developer; If the game is good, I'll buy it; however, if I don't think I'll enjoy it, I won't buy it.

Alas, this conversation took the turn wrong turn immediately, so I'll leave it at this. Just know that it wasn't a personal attack in any way.

Octane

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic