Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 5,741 to 5,760 of 70,080

ZaraIsEarly

@Faruko If the default storage is 32GB, I would expect it to be expandable with an extra 128GB at a minimum, and 265GB maximum.

Toys-to-life is life.

My Nintendo: Zara

MumboJumbo

@Moshugan

This is a quote from Kimishima several months ago. It's unlikely that they will be selling hardware at a loss again, and the weak pound surely isn't helping the UK Switch launch.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/160428qa/02.html
"Next, about how we are looking at cost, we are not thinking of launching the hardware at a loss. When Wii U was launched, the yen was very strong. I am assuming that situation will not repeat itself. Selling at a loss at launch would not support the business, so we are keeping that mind in developing NX."

MumboJumbo

Faruko

Most smartphones say "256gb maximum" but they can support up to 2tb SD cards

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

Faruko

And i may be wrong, but if i believe the read speed being the most important one in game consoles, even u1 sd cards are as fast as HDDs

Edited on by Faruko

upsidedownjim

Any idea how the Switch Console instantly sends the video signal to the dock that then sends the signal via HDMI to the TV? I think that's, actually, pretty impressive technology - it seems to just work so I didn't think much about it. There is a bit of a delay in the video but that could be simulated to show how the concept works.

Would it need physical contacts on the bottom edge of the Switch Console? Is there wireless technology that can do this? Also, How could the dock boost the power of the Switch Console with no physical connection between them (ie, a PCIe port, lightning type port).

upsidedownjim

Haruki_NLI

@upsidedownjim In regards to this, the console itself seems to know, similar to a dual screen setup on a PC, when you disconnect one screen, it knows and almost instantly adjusts.

The dock appears to be just that. A dock for charging, storage and HDMI out. Probably a little tech in there that changes resolution obviously, but nothing major.

Again, the fact that this is an instant transfer, most likely since the connection to the dock is broken when the console is removed, therefore the system knows to turn back on, is mind blowing.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

skywake

@Portal_King
I think SD card expansion is going to be a thing. There's no reason not to include it other than to try and charge your consumers more. I really don't think Nintendo can afford to go the Sony route (proprietary memory cards) or the Apple route (no expansion, fixed SKUs). Since the Wii they've been pretty open to the idea of decent storage expansion options.

@upsidedownjim
I'm pretty sure they'd be just physical connection. The HDMI on the back of the dock is probably just wired directly into the back of the tablet. There's probably some kind of proprietary dock connector. Enough to have Power, HDMI, USB and maybe a couple of other bits of I/O expand out the back. I honestly don't think it's anything super high tech. The massive leap is the fact that they can now put that much GPU horsepower in a tablet. Which has been a thing for a while.

Basically, the Shield is a newer, Nintendo supported version of this with custom dock and controller

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Emperor-Palpsy

I'm betting on £250 for the standard package, £300 for the step-up. It's clear that Nintendo are marketing this console towards adults with disposable income - so it should come as no surprise that if the industrial design is spot on, the price will fit in line.

Personally I'm fine with this, as I would rather pay up for a more powerful, well designed Nintendo experience than another underpowered Fisher-Price console.

cackle

TuVictus

Iwata seemed very adamant about the NX "absorbing" the Wii U architecture. Clearly this isn't. I wonder what changed, and if it did, how different is the Switch from Iwata's initial idea of it.

TuVictus

Shinion

@Emperor-Palpsy That's a lot more reasonable, especially if both of them come bundled with a game (heaven knows what game at this point maybe a choice out of the rumoured 4ish Wii U ports?). If they can advertise this product starting at £249.99 and the most expensive being £299.99 and avoiding the dreaded presence of a number 3 then I think they will have done well as far as pricing is concerned.

Shinion

Joeynator3000

So much for 3DS games on the TV. >_>

Capcom, if you don't put MH5 on here...

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

upsidedownjim

@BLPs @skwake sounds reasonable - thought it might be some super fancy wireless tech but the simplest and cheapest method that works is probably best.

upsidedownjim

Faruko

Im sure we will see a Monster Hunter Generations NS edition, just like the MHTri for WiiU

Edited on by Faruko

Haruki_NLI

So I just gave Prime a pause menu...while trying to make something else....

Makes me wonder what the start and select buttons are. I assume + and - but on the Joy-Cons they are rather unsuspecting

Edited on by Haruki_NLI

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

erv

I'm thinking about how the eshop works on this. Do I get to redownload purchases if I want to play a game that happens to not be on the device itself yet? Can I prepare a synchronise session when I come home off of the stuff on an external hard drive on the dock?

Will I just buy a 256 tb (edit:lol, gb) sd card and be mostly done with it?

I know they didn't mature the eshop for nothing. I'm a digital only buyer, so I'll be looking out for this info.

Edited on by erv

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

skywake

@Operative
I don't think that comment ever meant that it'd have the same architecture. I always read it as him saying that he wanted to make sure that the development tools made it so that a smooth transition was possible. That he wanted to build the tools in such a way that porting from the Wii U architecture across to what we now know as the Switch would be as painless as possible.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Octane

@BLPs + and - are most likely for disconnecting the Joy-Cons. There's probably no Start and Select button. DS4 doesn't have them either; It has Options, Share and a Home button. We've already seen the Home button, the other one on the left might be the Options/Select/Pause button.

Octane

Therad

skywake wrote:

@Operative
I don't think that comment ever meant that it'd have the same architecture. I always read it as him saying that he wanted to make sure that the development tools made it so that a smooth transition was possible. That he wanted to build the tools in such a way that porting from the Wii U architecture across to what we now know as the Switch would be as painless as possible.

exactly. Their strategy has always sounded like they wanted a stable development environment ala android/iOS to make porting between versions simple and easy. This probably started with the Wii U. And it sounds like a strategy an former developer turned president would implement.

Therad

Therad

Octane wrote:

@BLPs + and - are most likely for disconnecting the Joy-Cons. There's probably no Start and Select button. DS4 doesn't have them either; It has Options, Share and a Home button. We've already seen the Home button, the other one on the left might be the Options/Select/Pause button.

Or the other one isn't a button at all but instead is a marker for amiibos.

Therad

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic