Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 5,761 to 5,780 of 69,981

Haruki_NLI

@Octane @Therad I can always use the 4th face button for Pause, since I'm only using 3 as is, so its not biggy.

It's interesting how these little thoughts pop up based on perspective.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Octane

@Therad NFC chip in the n3DS is behind the touch screen, I imagine it will be the same in the Switch. They can even display a ''touch amiibo here'' thing on screen (I don't know how the n3DS does this). Anyway, they need some sort of second button besides the Home button. Every console has it, so it makes sense for the Switch to have one too. NFC doesn't really need a marker.

Octane

Grumblevolcano

I have a feeling digital BC may happen, Nintendo only confirmed that physical Wii U (discs) and 3DS (carts) games wouldn't work on the Switch. This is where My Nintendo comes in, all that complaining about it only being games which most people will have already bought but I'd imagine most got them physically rather than digitally. What Nintendo would've been doing there is essentially a discount for you to be able to play the games on the Switch.

Here's a thought, what if the Mario Kart game in the trailer isn't even a port of 8 but a digital copy of the Wii U version of 8 which say the new contents are released as DLC sometime between November 2016 and March 2017 to treat Wii U owners for once.

Yeah these are crazy theories but Nintendo has to talk about something over the next 2+ months that isn't the Switch as they've confirmed that there's no more details until 2017.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

dtjive

@Grumblevolcano

Nintendo have the Animal Crossing direct then still have Pokemon Sun/Moon, Mario Maker 3DS and NES mini to promote for the next two months.

dtjive

Shinion

@Grumblevolcano LauraKBuzz has just published her latest article that contradicts your last point. She is quite adamant that the exact launch date, pricing including differences in price for different regions and even the launch line up could even leak before next week meeting, and if not then they will all be discussed then. IIRC Emily Rogers also said that we'd get 'big' NX (Switch) news in successive weeks starting with yesterday's video.

I don't think Nintendo will offer extensive coverage of the Switch, but I think people taking that WSJ article to mean that Nintendo will not say anything about the Switch this year are taking it the wrong way.

We'll know for sure in just under a week but I feel confident in trusting these two, they've already more than proven themselves.

Shinion

GrailUK

@Operative Hmmm...it has taken off screen play to a whole different level and plays Zelda BotW, MK and Splatoon. Are you sure you can't see how it has absorbed the Wii U?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Grumblevolcano

@Shinion Well if the launch lineup is basically nothing but ports, both statements could be true. Revealing more BotW stuff can count as Wii U news, MK8 and Splatoon DLC/updates which features the Switch content can count as Wii U news, new character(s) and/or stage(s) for Smash can count as both 3DS and Wii U news, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Therad

Octane wrote:

@Therad NFC chip in the n3DS is behind the touch screen, I imagine it will be the same in the Switch. They can even display a ''touch amiibo here'' thing on screen (I don't know how the n3DS does this). Anyway, they need some sort of second button besides the Home button. Every console has it, so it makes sense for the Switch to have one too. NFC doesn't really need a marker.

behind the screen doesn't make sense because then you wouldn't be able to use amiibos when switch is docked.

Therad

Faruko

Considering how few people bought a WiiU, im not sure releasing a huge launch line up with a lot of ports its such a bad idea honestly

This is considering the Switch might aim for people that never owned a WiiU

I would love a Bayonetta 2 port with better resolution and a rock solid 60fps

Edited on by Faruko

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

skywake

One thing about this I need to keep reminding myself of. It's not actually that big. I keep thinking of this as if it's as big as a small-ish Android tablet. But if you actually look at it it's not. Without the controller attachments it's only about as big as the 3DS XL. With them it's a little bit wider.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DefHalan

So, I guess my favorite 3DS feature is no more... Streetpass

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Octane

@Therad Tap the amiibo on the dock? Maybe the Joy-Con grip comes with an NFC reader? That makes the most sense I think.

Octane

skywake

@DefHalan
I don't see any reason why this can't have streetpass. In terms of the hardware itself all you need for streetpass is WiFi and I'm sure it'll have that. The only other issue is size and sure it is bigger. And it is quite a bit bigger than the regular 3DS. But the XL and the 2DS? It's actually not that big

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

dtjive

The + / - buttons to me are just the regular start/select buttons. The reason they've been made into a + / - is it makes it easier for consumers to distinguish between the two as you could accidentally (albeit very stupidly) attach them the wrong way round to the device I suspect?

dtjive

TuVictus

Most likely that's the reason, yeah. I can't wait to see the OS. If it's anything as quick as the PS4 or Xbox One I'll be a happy camper. triple points if they, against all odds, include a party chat system. They won't, but I'd love it if they did. lol

TuVictus

Octane

Regarding the Skyrim remaster, this is what Bethesda had to say about the Nintendo Switch:

Bethesda wrote:

We're happy to have had the opportunity to collaborate with Nintendo on the video. While we are not confirming any specific titles at this time, we are pleased to announce our partnership with Nintendo and support of the Switch. We look forward to revealing specific games and details in the future.

No games to announce for NS, despite the fact that the Skyrim Remaster was clearly visible in the trailer..

Untitled

Octane

Nicolai

WebHead wrote:

likely to be in the box:
-tablet
-dock
-2 joycons
-joycon grip
-hdmi cable
-usb charging cable
-dock power cable
-tablet power cable for on the go use

To trim that list up a bit, I'm willing to bet that a single charger will be able to charge the dock as well as the system itself while on the go.

I just had a thought... Will the dock have an AV cable port for standard definition? Call me a caveman, but it'll suck if I can't hook this up to the small TV in my room. Besides, with a system as portable as this, I think y'all will be surprised to find how often you come across an old TV you want to hook it up to. When I first got the system and brought it to Thanksgiving at my aunt's to entertain the kids, the one HDTV in the house was being used for football. Just last summer, I visited my girlfriend's grandparent's house for a week (next to a vacation spot), and this summer we just had, we visited a friend's family's mobile home in Florida. All of these times I was glad my Wii U had an AV out.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Faruko

AV in 2016 ?

wut ?

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

TuVictus

I think if there's no streetpass, it's because Nintendo plans on keeping the 3DS around a while longer.

But also, think about it. The 3DS was perfect for such a functionality because you close it to put it into sleep mode. This obviously doesn't do that. Close, I mean. People probably wouldn't let it sliding around their purses or backpacks like they would a 3DS, not with the screen exposed like that. That's also assuming the Switch has a "sleep" mode.

I'm gonna say that Streetpass is out, at least for the time being while they still have the 3DS kicking.

TuVictus

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic