Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 49,421 to 49,440 of 49,555

La-weejee

A nice read of all the Wii u comments.
Wii u did have a great first party of games but they were really slow to come out.
Mario vs donkey kong was a fun title wish it comes to switch.

La-weejee

rallydefault

@link3710
The Rare games on N64 were awesome, for sure, but I would still take N64 first-party stuff over Wii U first-party any day, and I own every Wii U first-party game except for the Paper Mario one near the end.

rallydefault

JaxonH

Wii U was a great system and I truly did feel games were better when using the gamepad compared to other versions (Mass Effect 3, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Darksiders 2, etc). But it was never a system that could be my only console. During the Wii U era I played a lot of 3DS and PS4. So when everyone else was complaining about it it was hard for me to relate because it was more of a supplementary source of games as opposed to a primary source.

But Switch changed that. Now? I don’t really play anything else. I play a little PC (which has taken the crown as my go to power console of choice), be it on the TV or on Win 2 as handheld, but even then Switch still accounts for the majority of my playtime.

That speaks volumes about the Switch library in contrast with the Wii U library. And I don’t mean to be beating up or taking cheap shots at Wii U. Again, at the time I really did have a blast with that system... But it was always supplemented with 2 other platforms. With Switch I have little to no desire to play games anywhere else, even if they’re not on Switch. It’s just so hard to go back to playing games that don’t offer the flexibility of hybrid play. And because the library is large enough, it’s actually viable as a primary console.

But it’s not only because the library is large enough. 3DS had a large library but it never took over as my sole gaming device. There are other factors such as, despite having more freedom as a handheld, it was still limited by not playing on the TV. Similar limitation as PS4 but in reverse. And because it was so low powered, the caliber of games was often lesser than, or scaled back. Switch is comparatively under powered but, it’s still HD, it runs 7th gen console games, many current gen games, and even super demanding open world current gen games. So it meets a minimum threshold necessary for the games in its library to join ranks with those on other consoles.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Wonderful 101, Trials of Mana
PC: Trials Rising, Gears Tactics

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020
NS: Xenoblade, Borderlands w/gyro, Club House Games, Persona 5S, Trails of Cold Steel 3
PC: Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH It's not REALLY a port of Legends, though. If anything, it's a port of the original with the Legends content added in, which probably required quite a bit more work.

But I get what you mean. Very little of the game's content is unique to the Switch version specifically.

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

Grumblevolcano

The contrast between Wii U and Switch shows the importance of 3rd party support. If you take away the 3rd party games in every HD system, you'll have large game droughts in all of them (with the worst droughts being Vita and XB1). With Wii U, most 3rd parties abandoned the system in 2013 when launch window games flopped (and PS4/XB1 was approaching) so the droughts were more noticeable.

Meanwhile most of the time when there's a 1st party drought for Switch, there's generally 3rd party releases filling the gap.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Right.. The content from 3DS version was already made, so it’s not like it was exclusively added into the Switch version. They simply ported already existing content, ergo, port.

Whereas with something like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe or Dragon Quest XI S, they ported already existing content but then added a significant amount of new content or changed content, ergo, doesn’t really fall in either camp. They’re “ports” but without the qualifier of “with significant exclusive content, and this version with significant exclusive content is exclusive” it’s very misleading. “Port” indicates moving over content that already exists, and the assumption is that that’s all it is.

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020
NS: Xenoblade, Borderlands w/gyro, Club House Games, Persona 5S, Trails of Cold Steel 3

Jesus is Lord.

rallydefault

As I've gotten older, I've gone more back my roots as a gamer, and my roots were 100% NES/SNES/N64. I'm kind of at "peace" (totally weird and dramatic term, I know) with my game preferences, and I don't force myself to play the hottest AAA games because I know they're not my thing anymore. Switch is the perfect console for the games I like, and Wii U was pretty much as well (I didn't buy a PS4 until years into the generation). I just think too many people out there force themselves to play/want games they don't actually like because that's the internet culture and we're all trying to fill that consumerism hole in our hearts lol

rallydefault

Ralizah

@JaxonH Right. My issue is that they clearly didn't take 3DS assets and move them over to a Switch game. They re-created them as higher-detail HD models for the Switch release. In line with what you'd expect from a Switch retail release.

So it's either a HEAVILY upgraded port of the Wii U version, or an HD remake of the 3DS version that incorporates some of the Wii U-exclusive stuff as well.

Either way, saying "it's a port with very little changed" doesn't feel right. Either it added a ton of new content (if we consider the Wii U version to be the predecessor) or extensively upgraded the visuals (if the 3DS version is considered the base). I guess you could say it's a port of two different versions of a game simultaneously, but that doesn't quite sit right with me either.

Anyway, it clearly had a lot more work done than something like DKC: Tropical Freeze, where they lazily slapped in a broken new character and called it a day.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Fair enough. Perhaps it just doesn’t feel so fresh being the third release of a game in three years,

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH That's very fair, I think. I didn't grab either of the two previous versions, because I wanted one that has the Wii U presentation and the 3DS version's content and portability, so I'm VERY happy that they decided to re-release it again.

Just another demonstration of why the hybrid design of the system was so inspired.

Edited on by Ralizah

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I grabbed all 3, but I still appreciated the Switch release. Even straight ports are appreciated (the hybrid advantage is always welcome) so combining the graphics of Wii U with content of 3DS on top of the hybrid advantage was an easy sell.

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
Btw, I loved Funky Kong. As someone who 100% the game on Wii U, and at one point was #2 in the entire world for time trials on 6-K, the hardest level in the game, without taking damage, I still acknowledge the game was too hard for most people. Funky took the edge off just enough. And, he worked incredibly well for time trials, as his moveset opened up new shortcuts and timesavers not previous possible. And they did make sure his leaderboard was separate.

So I wouldn’t call that “lazy”. I think it was a near perfect game and they added the only thing the game was really missing.

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

Grumblevolcano

Nintendo trapped themselves with Nintendo Selects. Tropical Freeze $20 on Wii U, $60 on Switch with the only addition being Funky Kong and then to add to the situation NoA removed the Wii U version (the removal was the only controversial part).

Other Nintendo Select 1st party Wii U games in NA:

• Wind Waker HD
  • NES Remix Pack
  • Nintendo Land
  • Pikmin 3
  • Super Mario 3D World

In terms of actual content, the only questionable Wii U port was Captain Toad as the 3D World levels were removed (replaced with Odyssey themed levels). Could be a future update though.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano I wouldn't bother with Captain Toad, except they never released the DLC levels for the Wii U version, AFAIK. I repurchased Splatoon 2 after having sold it a while back to be able to play the Octo Expansion and, similarly, I'll probably end up buying the Switch port of Captain Toad in order to have access to the DLC.

@JaxonH Eh, that sort of sounds like you're making your own fun with a game you already passionately love, to be honest. I don't mind the addition of a stealth easy mode, but it doesn't add anything to the game for someone like me, since the game was balanced around Donkey Kong. Had Nintendo opted to include a new mini-campaign for Funky, I would have jumped, but it really seems like they did the bare minimum to justify re-releasing it on Switch.

Nearly every other Wii U port included more substantial upgrades, be it extra content, bonus gameplay modes, new characters, new levels, etc.

I mean, it is what it is. Nintendo could literally port the games over 100% unchanged and people would still buy them, so I guess I appreciate that they put the effort in to make the ports appeal to Wii U owners as well with some bonus content.

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Ya, but at the same time, the game was $20 on Wii U for years. Anyone who wanted to play that game on the Wii U for $20 probably already bought it.

And, practically every game ported can be found cheaper on some old legacy console. But most people, I would argue, don’t want a cheap version on an old legacy console. They want the newer, better port (and that’s doubly true for Switch versions that are handheld hybrid).

I’m not sure why Captain Toad removed the 3D World levels. The only explanation I can think of is they wanted to save them as an update for when 3D World is ported. That, or they felt having levels tie in to a game not on the system was poor form, and thus replaced them with levels that tie in to the Mario game on Switch.

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I wouldn’t say it’s making my own fun. The character was added to the game to be used in modes like Time Trials. That’s value added. I’m just partaking in it.

That being said, i’m not arguing it was value added for you personally. And I don’t think it was meant to be. Was meant to encourage new players who were put off by the difficulty, or old players turned off by the difficulty. Similar to Mario Kart 8 battle mode- it’s not for everyone. As someone mentioned previously they never play battle mode so to them it was basically the same game. That’s true for many changes and additions. And that’s ok. It’s still the same great game now with handheld hybrid functionality. And as a bonus, has a lower bar of entry for those who need it (and an entire new character with a moveset that completely changes the dynamic of time trials for those who enjoy that aspect).

I always appreciate substantial new content but I don’t think it’s always needed. In the case of DKC, being my favorite 2D Platformer of all time I was just happy to see it on a handheld hybrid system. But in truth t Funky mode did add a lot of playtime for me. An entire extra playthrough and at least 10 hrs in time trials (I never did get back into time trials hard-core like I was on Wii U).

It’s funny. Back on Wii U I would play in Gamepad mode and gawk at how beautiful it was on a handheld screen, even in 480p. I was of course comparing to Returns on 3DS, in 240p 30fps, which btw, it felt completely normal to me when I played that game through the first two times on 3DS, but later, after so much time in Tropical Freeze on Switch, on my 3rd playthrough on 3DS I really noticed the lower framerate. Looked great in 3D though. Man, if Nintendo ever made an HDS that was clamshell and dual screen and played 3DS games, but with more power to render in 720p and still offer 3D... oh my gosh I’d be all over that.

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

@AndyD
Absolutely you can. I used to do that with two 512gb cards. But eventually I just bought a 1TB card and kept the best 1TB worth of games ready to play, and archived the rest.

I recommend the plastic Nyko kickstand with a spare microSD slot inside the kickstand so you’ll always have the spare with you at all times. Plus the kickstand snaps shut better anyways, so two birds with one stone. Just be sure to power off the system before you swap.

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH I'm actually not a huge fan of Battle Mode myself, but it's clear that the new mode is a massively better fit for the game, and I appreciated the effort that went into it. Personally, I just bought MK8D to have the game portably.

Anyway, I actually ordered The Witcher 3 on Switch recently, and I've imposed a 30fps framerate cap on my PC version for just that reason. My PC can actually hold 60fps fairly well on Ultra settings, which feels way nicer, but I don't want the Switch version to feel choppy every time I return to it. 30fps is fine once you've adjusted to it.

JaxonH

2k on releasing 7 games across 6 individual SKUs on the same day:

“Well, we’ve had a huge demand for these games on Switch for some time now, so it was actually because we felt bad that we’ve kept everyone waiting this long. In announcing and releasing all these games at the same time, we were able to pull this necessary partnership together even more effectively and really establish it. We didn’t necessarily have some kind of marketing goal or something like that in mind, but I’m sure it wasn’t just a happy coincidence either“

Gotta respect them. Say what you will about large file sizes or their sports games (which btw, at least look and function well on Switch, with parity I should add), but these guys are out here putting games on the system. Good games. Games people only dreamed of having on Switch until now.

And I’ll be there to scoop em all up. 7 2k games on the same day? Don’t mind if I do

Also, I really appreciate them going the distance with multiplayer in Borderlands. You can do solo or 2 players splitscreen on the same device. You can do 2-4 players online. Or you can do 2-4 players local wireless. That’s... that’s fantastic.

@Ralizah
Pretty impressive in handheld mode, right? I was actually playing some on Switch Lite just 2 days ago, as I dove into Blood & Wine. I was like wow, this looks even better than I remember.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic