Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 49,441 to 49,460 of 49,667

AndyD

@JaxonH yeah, the download I understand considering the difference in the cartridge over disc...especially trying to cram borderlands 2 and all its dlc into one cartridge alone would have been interesting. sure, they could have released them all separate but then more costs for production etc...when I owned my ps4, and had borderlands 2 it still required a huge download not counting the disc download requirement. (now back to figuring out which games to archive right now for space:})

Edited on by AndyD

SW-3806-8055-1317
Needed Furniture list
NEEDED DIYs list

Nintendo Network ID: devineministry

Ralizah

@JaxonH Haven't received it yet, but I have briefly played it on a friend's Switch. The game looked terrible when it first shipped thanks to the blurring effect from the anti-aliasing, but post-patch, it looks so much crisper. I can't imagine why the people who ported thought it was a good idea to make the game look so blurry just to cover up some jagged edges, but good on them for releasing the patch for those of us unwilling to hack our systems.

I'll likely be taking a ton of comparison pics between Switch handheld and PC Ultra. The difference in visual fidelity likely won't bother me much. But jumping between 30fps/60fps IS distracting.

Edited on by Ralizah

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

JaxonH

@Ralizah
I thought the same thing, until the patch released and I saw how rough it looks without it. It really did change my opinion on the matter. I did, however, find a happy medium where I leave the AA on to smooth the jagged edges (which really does do wonders, but at the expense of some blur), but, turn sharpening filter on low to help counter the side effect. At first I was using High sharpening filter but eventually realized it made the lighting contrast fluctuate too much. Low works well.

PLAYING
NS: Xenoblade, Bioshock, Borderlands 2, XCOM 2, Shantae Seven Sirens, Bug Fables
PC: Gears Tactics

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020
NS: Paper Mario Origami King, Trails of Cold Steel 3, Bravely Default II
PC: Cyberpunk 2077

Jesus is Lord.

Ralizah

@JaxonH I'll play with the settings when I get it, but I really thought no anti-aliasing and high sharpness looked good in handheld mode. I'll try your suggestion when I receive it and see what I think. Take comparison pics.

In general, jaggies don't bother me. I'm used to playing games on SD consoles. What does bother me is the impressionistic smearing effect the game's default settings have on the visuals.

Playing depressing games alone in my cold, dark room <3

BruceCM

How are you liking Blood & Wine, @JaxonH .... ? There's a huge amount of content in that

SW-4357-9287-0699
Gamertag: BruceCM

jump

Couldn't be arsed to make a new thread but the new Five Night At Freddys game has gone up in the Switzerland eshop at the wrong price, you get it for 35p/$0.40 if you change the eshop region.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

JaxonH

@BruceCM
Good so far, but I kinda knew what to expect since I’ve now beaten the base game and Hearts of Stone. Haven’t dived too deep into it yet, though.

PLAYING
NS: Xenoblade, Bioshock, Borderlands 2, XCOM 2, Shantae Seven Sirens, Bug Fables

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

BruceCM

Heh, the enemies should still be a bit of a step up, though, @JaxonH .... Both the story part of that & the other quests are all great

SW-4357-9287-0699

Grumblevolcano

Odd that Nintendo Life haven't done an article on the Pokemon mystery gifts before Isle of Armor:

1 set of gifts each week for 4 weeks. Also suggests that Isle of Armor is still on track for before the end of June.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

I busted out the Wii U today and played some Wii Sports Club. Every sport except Boxing.

Bowling was as fun as ever, and served as a reminder that no Bowling game will ever match its perfection. It’s just so good.

But Golf- golf is what really shines. Gamepad on the ground, using the Wiimote to hit the ball off the gamepad screen and into the tv... it actually feels like you’re really golfing! It’s been quite a while since I last played. But I used to play it every year for a while there.

Baseball was surprisingly fun. I hit a homerun in the final inning to win the game. Fielding was more fun than expected though. I really liked using the gamepad to catch fly balls. Wasn’t just pitching.

And tennis, nothing special there but it was still fun.

It really makes me want Switch Sports. The only problem is, without a proper IR sensor Im not sure if a Switch Sports could ever truly match Wii Sports Club. And obviously, the golf wouldn’t have the second screen, which is crucial for really driving home the realism in that game (and that’s an interesting topic for debate in and of itself- the idea that this cartoony game feels more realistic than any AAA modern golf sim- the contribution graphics make toward realism can actually be trumped by gameplay, if the gameplay is sufficiently innovative).

I wonder, could they have put the IR sensor on the TOP of the joycon somehow, perhaps a thin strip sandwiched between the R and ZR buttons, and still included a mini-sensor bar? Optional of course. But to help accuracy in games relying on gyro that historically relied on the IR sensor (like Mario Galaxy or Pikmin, if they release), paving the way for a true Switch Sports experience... guess we’ll never know. Shame. It’s such a waste to have that IR sensor on the bottom of the R Joycon where it almost never gets used.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

Octane

Does anyone know why the Switch cards make a sounds when you shake them? They sorta ramble. I expect them to be a solid card, but there's something loose inside it seems.

Octane

HobbitGamer

@Octane I think the PCB is just laid in place and the shell is snapped on. I've noticed that too.

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Haruki_NLI

@Octane @HobbitGamer Someone looked into this two years ago.

Smaller cards have chips built into the PCB that allows the card to not rattle because the PCB is fitted to the case.

More expensive cards forgo the PCB and instead build the connectors into the flash chip. This leaves more space and allows for movement. In reality the card is secure, but due to the uniform nature of the card shell, there is space left over.

Seems to be a cost cutting measure for larger cards.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

TuVictus

That is a fun piece of trivia I didn't know about

TuVictus

BruceCM

Welp, I'm sold .... Coming to Windows as well, so I'll probably get it there

SW-4357-9287-0699

link3710

@JaxonH @Grumblevolcano I'm pretty sure I know why the 3D World levels were removed. It's the same reason the old battle mode in MK8DX wasn't left in, and certain old stages didn't return in Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

All of these things were only in the game because of a lack of development time, not the creator's vision. The 3D World levels were literally ripped straight out of 3D World with no changes to make them interesting or worth playing as Captain Toad. MK8's battle mode was the same, ripping the tracks from the main game rather than building proper tracks for the mode. And Smash Ultimate didn't bring back levels like Pokefloats (made at the last minute out of Stadium assets thanks to the other Pokemon level getting reworked into Fourside) or Rainbow Road (made entirely out of recycled geometry from Mario Kart 7) for that exact reason.

Basically, if something only exists due to the fact that it could be slapped together from pre-existing assets to meet a deadline, it's unlikely to return.

link3710

JaxonH

@Monkeido
There’s no indication it’s Switch specific. It’s very misleading how they have “Direct” in the name despite this having nothing to do with Nintendo. And it’s just a bunch of smaller indie games anyways. Maybe we’ll see a few end up on Switch but my guess is, if there was anything noteworthy it would be announced separately. But, who knows, maybe I’m wrong.

@link3710
That’s an interesting point. Mario Kart 8 I understand, but I was unaware the 3D World levels in Captain Toad were just ripped from the game. Not even sure how they managed to make that work, since Captain Toad levels are all cubes with hidden stars.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

MOST EXCITED FOR 2020

Jesus is Lord.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic