Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 49,401 to 49,420 of 69,970

Ninfan

@Magician what free games do you get with xbox gold, do they do many original xbox games with it?

Ninfan

NEStalgia

@Grumblevolcano I suspect they only removed 12 month subs to bring it in line with the Ultimate subs. I'm guessing it's related to all the hubub from Sony and Nintendo with removing individual game codes.....probably all tied into that very gray European currency trading codes business. Ultimate and Pass have never had 12 month subs, so now Gold won't either. It's possible they'll get rid of gold but considering they're the pioneers of stealing money for otherwise free service and that's their primary revenue stream on XBox I can't imagine that. OTOH, times change and selling people online as they become "PC as a console" doesn't make as much sense when they're selling Ultimate and Pass as the premium addons.

Then again even car insurance companies no longer sell 12 month subs. Looks better on their portfolio to have 2 transactions per customer per year than one....

NEStalgia

MarioVillager92

@Ninfan It really depends on the game. I can think of a few examples. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe lets you join friends that are currently playing, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate requires making a room if you wanna play with friends (you can only play with randoms in quickplay mode). Animal Crossing: New Horizons lets you play with friends via the Dodo airport as well.

"Give yourself the gift of being joyfully you."

ACNH Name/Island: D-Pad/D-World
Dream Address: DA-1613-1378-1995

Also known as MarioLover92. Please ask for my Switch FC if you want to play online with me. Thanks!

My Nintendo: MarioLover

gcunit

NEStalgia wrote:

Given the focus on BC for Microsoft, and PC platforms overall I think the pushback both from consumers and industry partners would be a bit much for that model. Nintendo can do it because Nintendo is Nintendo. There really aren't that many other companies that have a legacy back catalogue worth mentioning other than Square and Sega that doesn't already have much more modernized remakes that are worthwhile for their legacy games. Nintendo's somewhat unique having content from the 80s & 90s that is still in high demand without a modern system to run it on.

Square could get away with it...Sega kind of could.....but really, who else? EA? They already have a $5/mo sub for games nobody actually wants to play.

@NEStalgia I take your point, but they wouldn't have to charge much to make it worth their while at least trying. Plus different companies could club together - say $2 per month for unlimited access to Sega, Capcom and Konami's legacy content, or they might partner with the hardware manufacturers and include it as an optional extra for the existing subscription services e.g. pay $20 per year for basic NSO, or pay $25 for NSO plus Sega, Capcom, Konami etc. legacy content.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NEStalgia

@gcunit I could see that to a point, but i still don't see most game companies in a position to use subscriptions that way. Most flog "newer and better" in a way that companies with stone cold classics like nintendo and square (or Disney in film) don't.... How much demand is there for really old games from those companies that don't already have remasters and updated releases? I'm up for Goemon, but Castlevania has its remasters for more money.... How many other Konami series really stand that test of time? Capcom..... Res E already has remasters and remakes. There's no less that 78,354 versions of street fighter 2. PC Engine is well represented. Sega... Well they're all over the place and already tried subscription....

It's a tough business... Nintendo has this perennial quality to it's huge list of classics that people still demand. PSX games have that appeal too. But the classics are already out there and with remakes. I'm not sure how many would really pay monthly for access to most of that content. It might work in the mobile arena though.

NEStalgia

link3710

@NEStalgia If we're talking Konami, I'd love to see the four Boktai be rereleased, though with the third JP exclusive it seems unlikely. Gradius has had some good games and quite a following, and of course both Metal Gear and MGS deserve some love. And if you include PS1 or later titles, Silent Hill I've heard is good, though it's not my thing, and Suikoden deserves some love. They certainly aren't in the worst place for legacy content.

But Capcom? They've also rereleased most of their Megaman, Devil May Cry, and Ace Attourney titles, not to mention Ghosts n Goblins on NSO and stuff like Dead Rising and Okami being remastered for current gen. Honestly, they have a back library that could easily be monetized, but I think they'll stick with individual releases, which means we're probably not going to see Breath of Fire, Power Stone or Darkstalkers available for a long time.

link3710

JaxonH

Crysis Tech Trailer Switch (direct capture)*

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

Hmm. Seems Life Is Strange is coming to Switch in some capacity, according to a very confident leaker.

I’ll be buying it, but I fully expect it to tank.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

MsJubilee

JaxonH wrote:

Hmm. Seems Life Is Strange is coming to Switch in some capacity, according to a very confident leaker.

I’ll be buying it, but I fully expect it to tank.

Of course, it's a terrible game that's terribly written. Games like those always tank. Look at the sequel.

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Resident Evil 4 Remake & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Wargoose

@MsJubilee @JaxonH I really like the original and especially Before the Storm. Life is Strange 2 however is probably the most disappointing game I've ever played.

Hated the main two characters with a passion, and most of the supporting cast were as 2d as a megaman sprite. It felt like they set out to make the film Chronicle, with a bunch anti-trump stuff thrown in. However for me it just didn't work.

Wargoose

JaxonH

Never played 2. Only played the original, and I liked it.

But I can’t stand it when games inject current politics so if that’s the case I might rethink my purchase, at least for the second game. I’m not sure if it’s going to be all of them or a collection with downloads for the others, or just the most recent one... who knows. Maybe it doesn’t come at all.

But I do know the first one was a really intriguing game from what I played. I also played the very beginning of Into the Storm. All I remember is this giant tornado.

Wargoose

@JaxonH I don't mind it if they handle it well. There's a bit where they're breaking down Donny T's wall, which should be a powerful moment. However the characters are so irritating by that point, you kinda want to see them get shot by a border patrol.

I think the game has two big issues, too much Squall from Final Fantasy VIII style internal monologue. New characters and locations each episode, so no one has enough screen time to become a 3 dimensional character.

Wargoose

Duboiss

Out of curiosity what do you guys think studio Good feel next game is ?

I don't expect a new yoshi after 2 similar games except if they shake up a bit the franchise (anyone ever considered what a 3d yoshi game could be like ?) but either a new wario land they made the last one and the art style was EVERYTHING that or cutie-fy another Nintendo IP ? They mostly make platformer and are known for their visuals.

Duboiss

Wargoose

@Duboiss how about Zelda Minish Cap 2. I know its Unlikely. but the shrinking theme could gel well with their art style.

Wargoose

link3710

@Duboiss Honestly? I could see them try and take on Donkey Kong now that Retro seems to be done with the IP. Not sure how well that would end but...

link3710

link3710

@IceClimbers Y'know, they did say they were looking at adjusting how they did Directs, I wonder if this is what they meant. Cause a 3rd party focused event isn't a bad thing in my book.

link3710

FragRed

@link3710 People expected way too much and rumours drive hype and I think this is where problems arise. Because a lot of people are going to get incredibly angry at Nintendo over promises that were never made.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic