Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 4,341 to 4,360 of 70,008

MarcelRguez

Octane wrote:

At least, from a home console perspective. I suspect that we'll see some Japanese support, JRPGs and whatnot. But I don't expect all the AAA games to make an appearance on NX unfortunately.

Keywords there. But yeah, I agree with your suspicion. And I'm glad, personally. I'd rather have a 3DS 2.0 instead of a PS4 0.5

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

IceClimbers

The problem with the AAA 3rd party support is that the audience simply isn't there on Nintendo platforms. They already have access to those games on their PS4 or XB1. Those that don't own one? They either became a PC gamer, dropped out of the hobby (which I suspect is a fairly substantial number of people), or will buy the platform their friends are on. Nintendo is not an option, and hasn't been for the better part of two decades. Therefore, that support wouldn't have the effect that it should.

Point is, it won't act as a gateway like it would on other platforms. Nintendo is that far removed from the mainstream console space. To claw back into relevancy would take years, as in multiple "generations". That time isn't something the market is willing to give them.

Whether Nintendo likes it or not, they are a secondary platform.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Octane

@MarcelRguez Sure, and that's fine, but if the NX replaces both, then I also expect it to an adequate replacement for both. Not a good handheld and a mediocre home console. Maybe I'm biased because I prefer home consoles over handheld consoles, but I'm not looking for another handheld. If the system does both, then that's fine, and I have no doubt that it won't be a good 3DS replacement, but I have my doubts on whether it'll be a good home console replacement.

Octane

Octane

IceClimbers wrote:

The problem with the AAA 3rd party support is that the audience simply isn't there on Nintendo platforms. They already have access to those games on their PS4 or XB1. Those that don't own one? They either became a PC gamer, dropped out of the hobby (which I suspect is a fairly substantial number of people), or will buy the platform their friends are on. Nintendo is not an option, and hasn't been for the better part of two decades. Therefore, that support wouldn't have the effect that it should.

Point is, it won't act as a gateway like it would on other platforms. Nintendo is that far removed from the mainstream console space. To claw back into relevancy would take years, as in multiple "generations". That time isn't something the market is willing to give them.

Whether Nintendo likes it or not, they are a secondary platform.

I agree, but the difference is that they once were the go-to platform. Over the years, Sony and Microsoft have taken over. Why not fight back I'd wonder? Seems like they simply ''gave up''.

There's many people that don't care what platform they own and would just want to play FIFA and COD. That audience is huge. If you marketing is right, and if you price you console right, I think that you can win over a chunk of that audience. I agree that becoming relevant again will take years, but when a game like Zelda easily gained the most attention at E3, I still think that there's a chance. Competition is always good. I don't like the fact that Nintendo thinks they live in their own bubble. Not sure what MS is going to do in terms of consoles, but I'd like a company to keep Sony in check as well. I'm not a big fan of monopolies; or at least when companies think they can do whatever they want.

Octane

TOUGHDUDE94

@MarcelRguez Not on 3DS or NEW 3DS

TOUGHDUDE94

Switch Friend Code: SW-8517-4594-3400 | 3DS Friend Code: 4098-4719-4387 | My Nintendo: TOUGHDUDE | Nintendo Network ID: Andrew1994fl2.0

rallydefault

@Octane

I agree. I was in middle school during the SNES era, and I remember Nintendo being "on top" when it came to 3rd-party stuff. Problem was, it was really just a two-horse race at that point. They now face two entirely separate AND competent competitors in Microsoft and Sony, and Nintendo has spent many years (arguably starting with the N64) falling off the radar when it comes to 3rd party stuff (resurgence on the Wii, perhaps, but many of those games were highly altered from their "real" forms on the other machines).

But anyway, I think your key quote is this: "becoming relevant again will take years."

I agree 100%. And I think they should go for it. And nobody, Nintendo or any of its fans, should expect the change to happen in a night or even a year. It will takes YEARS, and they need to launch a machine here that they are fully confident in for the next better part of a decade.

rallydefault

Luffymcduck

Guys, I have finally discovered NX´s secret. It´s true nature to be exact.

Untitled

It would be great if David Wise made soundtracks to all future Nintendo games.

IceClimbers

@Octane They might not find it to be worth it to try to fight back. I agree that I'd like to see a company keep Sony in check, but I don't know if there's much Microsoft can do. Sony is too dominant. I think the only company that can keep Sony in check at this point is, well, Sony.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Grumblevolcano

@IceClimbers If Sony make enough mistakes I think they'll fall. The Pro reveal was poorly received, lots of pre-Black Friday 2016 games being delayed to December or February, Sony always recovers much slower from the annual Christmas DDoS attacks, etc.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Grumblevolcano I know these kinds of things are big deals for us, but those really don't matter in the end. Despite the lukewarm reveal of the Pro, pre-orders have been pretty good. I still don't know why people were disappointed. Yes, the presentation was boring, but the Pro is exactly what was leaked months before. Nobody had a problem with the Pro back then. It was mainly the presentation itself that was monotonous and dull.

About the games? Yeah, Gravity Rush and TLG won't release before black friday, but FIFA, COD and Battlefield do. Those games are far more important for the average gamer.

I'm more concerned that one of these companies is going to pull another Kinect on us, remove the ability to play used games or something like that. Those are the big issues. Microsoft suffered from it when they tried that. Sony hasn't done anything that royally screwed with their audience this generation. However they were quite a different company during the PS2 / early PS3 era. It happened with Nintendo too when they thought they owned the market back in the 80s and early 90s. It's inevitable that a company pushes too far and crosses a line, so it's good to have a second company at those times to keep them in check.

Octane

Moshugan

Sorry to come back to this, but real quickly:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@Moshugan I think at this point expecting NX reveal before Color Splash is very unrealistic. The question is though is how many weeks Nintendo will dedicate to Color Splash promotion.

What would make it unrealistic? I know of no facts based reason for why the NX reveal could not happen this last week of September. Also, hasn't Nintendo already done plenty of Color Splash promotion? Trailers, Rescue V clips, an accidental (but very viral) early release...

Oh, and yeah, maybe the fall meeting is a more important turning point than my arbitrary middle of October date definitely.

Edited on by Moshugan

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

Grumblevolcano

Back to the Minecraft discussion, it's getting cross-platform play between PSN and XBL so from that it seems all versions will be connected except the Wii U version. More evidence that NX is doomed if there's no Minecraft at launch but the extra factor is NX version needs to have cross-platform play with XBL, PSN and PC.

@Moshugan The fact they haven't revealed it already makes me think they want to preserve Color Splash sales despite it likely not doing particularly well.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

faint

@Grumblevolcano I think it will and believe it will come out in the launch window. The developers actually seem dumbfounded on how well it's done on the wiiu. I say that's a good sign.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@IceClimbers If Sony make enough mistakes I think they'll fall. The Pro reveal was poorly received, lots of pre-Black Friday 2016 games being delayed to December or February, Sony always recovers much slower from the annual Christmas DDoS attacks, etc.

Yep. Honestly, I think we're seeing a turning point. My opinion, but I think Sony's setting themselves up for a couple slips:

-the Pro: Sure, pre-orders are "good," as someone else mentioned, but I think overall sales will not be what Sony wants, especially as the Scorpio inches closer and people realize they can just wait a bit for the absolute most powerful console and basically the same games

-Their VR push: ridiculous number of "things" needed to make it work (two of those hilarious-looking motion controllers, the PS Camera, the headset itself, and - yea - a console lol), overall price, graphical quality of games will be pretty darn low

-Relatively low number of anticipated exclusives/continued delays: Last Guardian delayed. Again. Nothing else really coming to mind that is exclusive except for that game with the lady shooting a bow against mechanical monsters. Don't even know its name. Horizon or something?

Sony is far from untouchable. And anybody who doesn't think this stuff works in cycles is insane. Sony will not stay on top for much longer - Microsoft and Nintendo are both coming up on an excellent chance to get back into the top spot.

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

@rallydefault Horizon Zero Dawn (the one you described) got delayed to February. You've also got the FFXV delay where Final Fantasy has been connected with Sony ever since FFVII.

Grumblevolcano

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Untitled

Who knows? Regarding the console, the way the heads of the companies are talking makes it sound like the leaks are way off the mark regarding the controller.

At this point there has to be a major reason why Nintendo haven't shown the NX yet. Nintendo originally wanted to have it out this year. Missing Christmas this year is a huge deal and Nintendo would do everything to make it, maybe even still. They could be working behind the scenes to get it back on track. I think the delay wasn't down to Nintendo but rather one of their component makers were having trouble meeting the deadline.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

skywake

Octane wrote:

I agree, but the difference is that they once were the go-to platform. Over the years, Sony and Microsoft have taken over. Why not fight back I'd wonder? Seems like they simply ''gave up''.

Because there's a change in the landscape that took place between the N64 and Wii. And therefore a change in the amount that third party content matters. In the 90s you brought into Nintendo for Mario, Sony for Final Fantasy or Sega for Sonic. Each of them had their own library of exclusives and that's basically all you got on the platform.

Then starting with the Gamecube generation and expanding ever since? Game budgets got bigger, consoles became similar. We're at the point now where the PS4 and XBOne are basically just PCs. Pretty much all of the big games released every year are multiplatform now. If you have any platform you basically have all the big games.

Except for Nintendo's games and Nintendo's platforms. Whether it was right or wrong Nintendo decided in the mid 2000s they weren't going to play that game. I think it's unfair to call that "not fighting back". Frankly, I'm not sure that Nintendo would be in anywhere near as good a position as they are if they fell into line.

@SLIGEACH_EIRE
There are a lot of things about that image that make me doubt it. But Zelda: BotW being on the screen is the thing that makes me the most sceptical. If the NX is going to be leaked? It won't be from someone who has NX code for Zelda. If the wait for NX has taught us anything it's that Nintendo are not that careless.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SLIGEACH_EIRE

I'm sure it is fake for the reasons you state. Also, Link is running on screen yet the guys thumb isn't on either analogue stick. Schoolboy error. Still, what were they going with with the linkage between the 2 controllers? I have heard several times about it being U shaped from reliable sources though I can't remember where and when now.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic