Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 4,321 to 4,340 of 69,989

DjLewe78

Regarding the colour splash thing. I don't think revealing the NX would hurt sales. You can either afford to purchase an NX or not. If not, and still have a WIIU you can play it along with Zelda. So it's not that bad. Plus I can't see Colour splash being such a huge game that it will last till the NX release.

Info tomorrow, Direct on Thursday.

That's still my prediction

1 up !

Grumblevolcano

@MarcelRguez I wouldn't call it halting the NX reveal but rather if they need more time to make the NX reveal actually good. Expectations are at a super high because they didn't announce at E3 so they need something like: Here's the system and what's so special about it, here's loads of great games coming in the launch window and some further out titles known. Here's a NX tour that will be going on around Japan, North America, Europe and Australia pre-launch so you can experience this yourself.

And so on.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano I agree that more time could make the reveal better but that is pre judging something we haven't seen or know anything about. For all we know it could already have been planned out and ready to do, and is the best it can be. Plus you could also argue that not showing it at E3 should have given plenty of time to get the reveal just right. I mean they did officially state it was to get software ready that they weren't going to reveal it at the time.

As for the NX tour, they may well do one but if it's a handheld I can see Nintendo doing what they did with the past two generations where it was available at booths in various gaming and general electrical retailers kinda like how Sony and Microsoft do things. That's how you get the casuals the chance to find out about your system and actually play it.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@MarcelRguez Well the games may still not be ready (that was their excuse for not showing NX at E3 after all).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Bluefiregamer

Just like everyone else I wake up look for NX news and all I find are more rumors...and more rumors. I do agree that Nintendo has our attention by doing completely nothing but to think that if Iwata didnt announce the system well in advance, its possible we might not even know a new console is coming at this point. Which would be far worse. I commend Iwata for announcing a console way early. The backlash Nintendo would have gotten from us right now with these software droughts and not knowing of a future upcoming console would be crazy bad.

Its dangerous to go alone take this.

MarcelRguez

@Grumblevolcano That'd be my guess. The thing is already being mass-produced, so we know it's been done for a while now. Either there are logistic choices behind their silence or the software side of things is lagging behind.

Hopefully, the NX will be revealed alongside a fair amount of titles. One has to wonder if they'd adopt this strategy if only a single game was giving them trouble.

@Bluefiregamer Yeah, that's true. Radio silence about the Wii U past Paper Mario and Breath of the Wild, slim 3DS support and Nintendo making phone games without any console successor in sight? It would be a nightmare.

MarcelRguez

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4605-6296 | Nintendo Network ID: Marce2240 | Twitter:

Bluefiregamer

@MarcelRguez As big of a title as Zelda is Nintendo definately needs another home hitter at launch because not everybody is into Zelda as a franchise. I do think they need to spread out big titles as well. Thats why I keep to the key word CONSISTENCY is key for Nintendo right now. Don't just throw all your heavy hitters towards us at once. This is the reason that 3rd party support is soo crucial.

Its dangerous to go alone take this.

Grumblevolcano

I'm already certain that NX is doomed from the start if Minecraft isn't a launch title.

Grumblevolcano

MarcelRguez

@Bluefiregamer Agreed. I'm optimistic about that prospect, the Wii U better have been an eye-opener for them.

@Grumblevolcano Is Minecraft that big of a deal still? It has been released on everything under the sun, that has to diminish its appeal as a console seller. Even disregarding low-end rigs, if you bought any console released in the last decade, you can play Minecraft on it.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Grumblevolcano

@MarcelRguez Well as Minecraft Wii U Edition is still very high on the eshop charts and the weekly Media Create chart results I'd say yes it is still a big deal.

Grumblevolcano

FragRed

Minecraft is a big deal, as it's the audience Nintendo are going to be targeting but that alone isn't going to shift units. Anyone who wants to play Minecraft can but a PS4 or Xbox One and get know there's going to a lot of other third party games too. That's something Nintendo can't and probably won't fix with the NX, so they need a damn good launch line up of first party titles.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

MarcelRguez

@Grumblevolcano There's a difference between doing well sales-wise and actually moving consoles, though. The idea of people buying a Wii U or a Vita because of Minecraft is completely alien to me.

In any case, I guess the NX is bound to be someone's first dedicated gaming device. Minecraft might be a selling point to those people.

@FragRed Exactly my point, and the fact that you don't even need a console to play Minecraft.

Edited on by MarcelRguez

MarcelRguez

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed Of course by itself it won't but if it's not a launch title then hardware sales would likely be harmed. You'd need a good selection of both 1st and 3rd party titles at launch including Minecraft to get success.

Grumblevolcano

DefHalan

I don't think Minecraft will be a system seller but similar to Call of Duty, it is a series people expect to be on all systems, and if it isn't they might not buy your system. It may sound weird but I just think Minecraft is expected on playforms, whether it sells well or not. The lack of Minecraft and Call of Duty can only hurt Nintendo, right?

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

FragRed

@DefHalan Call of Duty won't be on the NX that much I am certain. If the specs rumours are to believed and it isn't the power of the Xbox One or PS4 then I don't think we will see anything like COD coming to the platform.

Octane

@DefHalan I think you can add almost every multiplat game to that list; FIFA, Madden, GTA, Battlefield. The more popular the franchise is (FIFA, COD, Minecraft), the more it will be missed when it's not present. But in the end, every multiplat game matters, and you need more than just one or two. If they don't have these games, then be prepared to end up as a secondary console instead. Just make sure you price your system accordingly.

Octane

DefHalan

@FragRed which I think will hurt the NX

@Octane I agree, which is part of the reason why I wanted Nintendo to do something similar to XB1/PS4 power wise. If these Nvidia rumors are true, the Tegra X1 was able to do toned down ports of big 3rd Party games kinda easily, so maybe we can get something like that on NX... maybe?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Octane

@DefHalan It's certainly not impossible. I mean, all the big third party games could technically also be on the Wii U. It's just that the games need to be scaled down quite a bit and ported over. However, when the install base isn't there to support these games, and when you need to put a lot more resources into porting the games, then there's not much hope. I think that the NX (if the rumours are true), will face a similar situation as what the Wii U is in. Different architecture leads to less multiplat games present on the system, which leads to people skipping the NX in favour of a PS4 or Xbox One, which results in less sales for those games. It won't make sense to keep supporting the system and people will abandon it. At least, from a home console perspective. I suspect that we'll see some Japanese support, JRPGs and whatnot. But I don't expect all the AAA games to make an appearance on NX unfortunately.

Unless Nintendo is quite aggressive with marketing this time around and secures all the ports of those games.. But those chances are slim to none..

Octane

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed The NX release date is enough to show CoD isn't coming. By March the current CoD cycle will have already been a third completed with Infinite Warfare and Modern Warfare remastered launching in November, Modern Warfare remastered DLC (the 6 maps not in the base game) in December and Infinite Warfare DLC in February.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic