Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 42,821 to 42,840 of 70,082

kkslider5552000

Cotillion wrote:

And you will, in all likelihood, never play Goldeneye on it. It's stuck in licensing hell. Nintendo published it, Rare developed it and 007 needs to be licensed from EON (which neither Nintendo nor Rare has the rights to distribute currently).

tbh, I'd bet Goldeneye will be re-released within the next decade. Nothing too weird's off the table if someone can make money. shrugs

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

NintendoByNature

Well i have 5 "REALLLLLLY wants/probably getting" for October. Already had to shave 2 off my list since it'll be impossible to get them all. Considering shaving off another. Just not enough time or cash flow. No time to recoop after the 4-5 I'll be getting in September( I'm counting astral chain, because it's that close to September).

NintendoByNature

JaxonH

@IceClimbers
Fixed. Thanks.

Its insanely hard maintaining a master list of games releasing without mixing a few up, especially with dates shuffling and what not.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Wait a second, when was The Dark Crystal confirmed for August 30th? I thought it was still a vague 2019 release.

On a different note, Mario & Sonic 2020 now has a release date, November 8th. The source is the UK eshop and it can now be preordered.

EDIT: Turns out November 8th is just for Europe, November 5th is the release date for America.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

toiletduck

Galarian_Lassie wrote:

Nintendo still makes a ton of money off hardware alone! Whether through profit from the console alone, online subscriptions, cuts from the revenue of third party games, etc. They’re not still in the console race, because “people would hate (it if they left)”, but because it makes lots of money.

I’m sure whatever money is lost from not releasing their games on multiple platforms is more than made up by being a console manufacturer and all the perks that come with that.

I doubt whether hardware sales are actually what makes Nintendo rich. It's the software sales that counts. And since Nintendo publishes their titles on their own system, they make more money from software sales: 1) they don't have to pay platform holders and 2) they earn money from 3rd parties paying Nintendo as a platform holder.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

JaxonH

I think Switch risks spoiling us for game releases to the point any release schedule on future systems is going to feel lame. Switch is getting so many games because Nintendo missed out on the last 4 generations of 3rd party releases. This is the first viable platform from Nintendo for third party console games in the last 25 years. So everything‘s coming home to roost at once.

But next generation they won’t have that advantage anymore. And that’s fine, but compared to the insane release lineup we’re seeing now I don’t think anything will ever be able to live up to it again. Not unless they go full power console with x86 for automatic multiplats of 95% of releases (and I don’t see that happening, plus that would be pretty boring because I’d have no reason to buy 3rd party games on the system then).

I guess what I’m saying is, enjoy it while it lasts.

@Grumblevolcano
I think that’s actually a Netflix release date. I googled each games release date but probably mixed that one up with the Netflix release.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

@JaxonH Pretty sure even with the existence of the insane lineup this fall, if early 2020 is on the slower side like early 2019 was the reactions will be as if fall 2019's lineup didn't exist.

As for Dark Crystal, I checked and yes the Netflix series starts August 30th not the game release.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

GrailUK

@JaxonH Cripes! You weren't kidding around!

Anyone need a lung? I have a spare?

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

rallydefault

@toiletduck
Yea, I think software sales and some of the stuff you mentioned (that not everyone always thinks about) is what really establishes long-term cash flow for Nintendo (and Sony, MS). Yea, at 300 bucks a pop, hardware sales are definitely nice chunks of cash, but for most people they will only buy one of your consoles per generation. So, I buy the Switch once for 300 bucks, but I spend thousands on software over the course of 5 years.

And hardware development and support probably costs boatloads of money. That's why we always have those discussions about selling at loss or profit when a new console comes around.

So yea, software is where it's at. And it's probably a safe bet to say, as others have mentioned, that Nintendo would be THE premier third-party dev if they ever went that direction. They very well could make WAY more money than they're making now without the cost of hardware dev, manufacturing, and upkeep weighing them down. And with the ever-present greed of shareholders, I'm surprised the company hasn't been forced into it already.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Grumblevolcano

More September stuff:

Grumblevolcano

DenDen

September keeps on giving!!

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

Banjo-

rallydefault wrote:

@toiletduck
Yea, I think software sales and some of the stuff you mentioned (that not everyone always thinks about) is what really establishes long-term cash flow for Nintendo (and Sony, MS). Yea, at 300 bucks a pop, hardware sales are definitely nice chunks of cash, but for most people they will only buy one of your consoles per generation. So, I buy the Switch once for 300 bucks, but I spend thousands on software over the course of 5 years.

And hardware development and support probably costs boatloads of money. That's why we always have those discussions about selling at loss or profit when a new console comes around.

So yea, software is where it's at. And it's probably a safe bet to say, as others have mentioned, that Nintendo would be THE premier third-party dev if they ever went that direction. They very well could make WAY more money than they're making now without the cost of hardware dev, manufacturing, and upkeep weighing them down. And with the ever-present greed of shareholders, I'm surprised the company hasn't been forced into it already.

I agree.

Banjo-

Ryu_Niiyama

I feel like after september most of the answers in the "how do you handle your backlog thread" are going to be "I don't." or "denial" or "send HALP"!

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

EvilLucario

Just quit your job, ez.

You know though, I never once hear people talk about the possibility of Nintendo opening their OWN PC storefront where they get all the money and don't have anyone to pay licencing fees to. People make a big stink about Epic Store, but people would also be willing to pay Nintendo money for an extremely barebones store just to play their games.

Although I wouldn't let current-gen games on it, at least up to GameCube games could possibly be sold. They could even be sold as glorified ROMs and they'd probably make a big amount of money doing so.

But eh, I'm no businessman.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

NintendoByNature

@Ryu_Niiyama I'm trying to cram a few backlog games i really want to play now until next Friday ( chain day). I'm aggressively going to play final fantasy adventure, crash Bandicoot 2, and mega man 11 hopefully this next week and a half. Sure there's other backlog games i can play but those are priority backlog games for me. Oh, plus I need to finish doom 2. Almost done with it. If i can finish these games by at least the end of September while keeping up with astral chain, creature in the well, ori, and links awakening, I'll be a happy camper. Ugh... Kinda want contra and spyro too though 😠. Must....resist.....

NintendoByNature

HobbitGamer

I think I’m just going to nab Zelda and Luigi on release, and wait on any others. I’ve had too many surprise expenses lately.
I would like Astral an Spyro, though. And probably Witcher.

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Grumblevolcano

@Ryu_Niiyama For me it's becoming a question of what games not to buy at launch which has been made a much harder question by the fact that Fire Emblem Three Houses has been out of stock in the UK for the past few weeks so if I didn't get that at launch who knows when I would've got it.

Grumblevolcano

Ralizah

For new releases, I think I'm sticking to Ni no Kuni, DQXI S, Pokemon Shield, Shantae, and Ori this year. Everything else will have to wait.

@EvilLucario If Epic wasn't scooping up games with exclusivity deals after Steam releases had already been announced, then there'd be way less anger.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic