Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 37,641 to 37,660 of 44,856

JaxonH

@rjejr
Playing Xenoblade 2 Torna right now. Is expansion is fantastic. It’s basically a fourth Xenoblade game. I’ve put at least 20 hours into it and I’m not even halfway done yet. I actually think I like it better than the main game.

Tales of Vesperia drops Jan 11th. One of the best RPG‘s according to the Geno RPG Recommemdation list (you know my brother likes his RPGs). I bought the game years ago for 360 expecting BC but it never came. No reason to buy on any system besides Switch, too. Since it’s 1080p across all platforms and 60fps in battles. Basically a choice of getting less for your money... or more. I love games like that. Exact same version, same resolution, same price, same release day, 60fps where it matters... 3 versions instead of 1. That’s where the system shines. I do recommend you check this one out.

Also, Fire Emblem Three Houses approacheth. I’ve been on your butt about playing the series since 2013, when Awakening released. It’s time for you to repent, and right that wrong. I really do think you’ll like this series though, especially since they are catering towards easier difficulty options now and becoming more newcomer friendly.

And we have a healthy dose of Square Enix RPGs coming to Switch. You probably already played DQXI, but I held off because I wanted to experience the game proper, playing in my recliner in handheld mode like I used to back on 3DS, and I want to set it up in tabletop mode and play at work in my office (btw, I never told you but they finally promoted me to head of metrology and calibration across our 3 plants- got a nice spacious office tucked away in the back of the lab now, and a raise that might put me in reach of 6 figures next year... suffice it to say I decided not to take that other job offer). So I have that to look forward to, but we also have Final Fantasy X and XII, and DQ Builders 2. I already played FFX on Vita. Back when I hated turned based, and my bro got me into RPGs with Fire Emblem, The very next game I played was FFX. And I loved the crap out of that game. I’m totally going to play it again when it comes to Switch. And I never did play Final Fantasy XII. I bought it but just never played it because... it was on PS4. I tend to play games more when they are on a portable system (Like FFX on Vita). This is one of the reasons I never finished Persona 5. DQ Builders 2 looks fire though. Man that game looks good.

That aside, you all in for Luigi’s Mansion 3 next year? Animal Crossing? Believe it or not I actually got into AC on 3DS. It’s not something I want to play all the time but, it’s very relaxing. What about Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3? Bayonetta 3, I know you’re all in on that. I don’t even need to ask. What about Yoshi’s Crafted World? I know you like your chill platformers. Speaking of which I’ll be replaying New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. It’s been over 6 years since I played it. That’s long enough to feel new again, and I really want a 2D Mario on Switch. I always said that was one of the better platformers I had ever played. Really good game. What about Pokémon? I figure that’s a definite for you also. Especially a main series Pokémon (although personally, I am not convinced I’m going to like the main series more than Let’s Go).

What about Daemon X Machina? You all in on that? I know how much you loved Xenoblade X, and this game looks remarkably similar. Different but, very reminiscent.

I’m ready for a Nintendo Direct.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Vita: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

EvilLucario

I made a New Year's Resolution to NOT buy as much games unless I have a legitimate interest in the game. Meaning, I'll probably only get Tales of Vesperia, Daemon X Machina, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and Devil May Cry 5.

I'll instead be playing my backlog. I STILL need to finish Nioh and start Dark Souls II and III... and finish Nier: Automata... and Final Fantasy XV... and... oh... why am I going for a second playthrough of Bloodborne right now???

Edited on by EvilLucario

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

@EvilLucario
Have you heard about Devil May Cry 5’s microtransactions? The new moves that you unlock, like in Bayonetta 2, are for sale. Believe someone did the math and it would take $4000 to $5000 to buy the complete game. Now they say this is completely optional but, you have to know they balanced the game around nudging you towards buying them.

I canceled my pre-order and dusted the dirt off my feet when I heard that. They can keep their game. I’ll wait for Bayonetta 3. I’m done supporting those kinds of practices. Capcom started it with the MTX in MH World, selling Guildmarm outfit for $4 (which was free in MHGen Ult on Switch), making transmog a MTX and preorder bonus. Then they hosted stupid seasonal events making it like a “live service”, locking DLC content to being online and temporary (whereas DLC was free and permanent offline in MHGen Ult)... The only reason I didn’t make a bigger fuss over that game was because I love the series SOOOO much. But it set a horrible precedent for a series traditionally known for free DLC. I didn’t really take issue with them selling face paint and gestures (although those were all free in previous games also). If they wanted to stick with just that I’d probably be OK with it.

Then there’s Street Fighter V with in-game advertisements plastered all over the stages, tattooed ads on the characters (buy buy US flag on Guile, it now says Capcom World Cup!)... it’s a disaster. And you can turn them off, but it disables your ability to earn in game fight cash.

All this to say Capcom is crossing over into EA territory very rapidly. They’ve become emboldened by their “AAA success”. They want to copy the EA model and make it their own. And I’m not goin for it. At ALL. As far as I’m concerned, if they want to continue this nonsense I’m perfectly content playing other games.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

EvilLucario

@JaxonH I've seen it, which is why it's not a priority even though I have some interest. If normal gameplay sucks ass with unlocking moves then I'm not going to get it, but if it's natural like old DMC or Bayonetta then I'll still probably get it.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Therad

@JaxonH that sounds bad... I don't get how people put up with stuff like that.

Therad

Anti-Matter

Btw, who has played Dragon Quest Builders 2 Japanese version ?
How was the 30 fps frame rate performance on Handheld mode ?

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Grumblevolcano

The unlock prices for stuff in the Bayonetta games are extreme anyway. The DMC5 situation sounds about as obnoxious as unlocking stuff like Platinum Ticket (I see Smash Ultimate spoils that reward) but with the option to buy with real money.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

RedderRugfish

@Anti-Matter I haven't played it yet (waiting for the English version) but apparently the game was somewhat buggy at launch, with a patch released a week later that fixed most of it.

I don't know about the frame rate though.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

JaxonH

I need to hurry up and finish Xenoblade Torna before Tales of Vesperia drops. Got basically a week and a half. On it.

@Grumblevolcano
The minute they start selling move unlocks piecemeal, you can no longer trust the game’s balance hasn’t been affected. Not to mention, who wants to play a game where the temptation to buy that next cool move you want is always looming...

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

rjejr

@JaxonH Congrats on the promotion and the office. Not too many offices in employment any more, everybody is going "open" like video games. Coincidentally my wife has a promotion, in writing, for May 1st which will put her just a raise short of 6 figures also. Which is almost enough for me not to get a job. But I probably will anyway. After my kid goes off to college, he's currently looking at Princeton, Yale and Carnegie Mellon, he's a tad short for MIT. The less money we make the better his financial aid.

As for Switch games, Yoshi and Bayonetta 2 pre-ordered on Amazon. Yoshi w/ the Prime discount, B3 had a pre-order discount sale recently. My son got XC2 for Christmas but we haven't started yet b/c we're trying to watch 67 episodes of GoT before April. Really wish HBO would give us a date, there's a huge two season difference between April 7th and April 28th. Fingers crossed for the 28th. I don't think they'll start on Easter, maybe Palm Sunday but I'm pretty sure either the 7th or 28th. But we'll start XC2 after the 67. I told him he can play, I'll watch, we've done the other way around enough. Then we'll get Dorna. I was playing Pokemon Let's Go Eevee but after 2 hours my hand and wrist hurt too much. I'm hoping they'll fix it, yes fix it, to let the handheld controls work in docked mode. Throwing the ball is fine, fun even, but I can't hit buttons and control the thumbstick w/ the same thumb, it's torture. I NEED two Joycon to play. Also still trying to level up to fight the final final boss in DQXI. He's serious but I think I'm almost there. And I opened SSBU and made a save file but I think that's it. Been watching my kids play World of Light, seems like a long story. And SM Party. Two hours to play one 15 turn game. Hard to play that too often but I want to do the river co-op mode. Maybe tomorrow and next weekend. We also saw Aquaman on Friday, was pleasantly surprised, it was really good. By far the best DC movie, as good as the Marvel movies. Discussing Spiderverse but haven't figured out when yet. Next year is filled with movies for us, Dragonball, Captain Marvel, X-Men, Godzilla, Avengers. My kids play a lot of videogames, but they do have other interests as well. Future games - Marvel UA3 is a must. Probably day 1 or close depending on the day. We'll see what AC is, not into amiibo Festival 2. And I'm trying to get into the backlog, Witcher 3 and Tomb Raider 2 (forgot what it's called but I bought the steelbook). So Fire Emblem is probably never going to happen. Same for Tales of Vesperia, though I'll look into it. I'd like to say Luigi's Mansion 3 is Day 1 but if it's a soccer game I'll pass. I figure they have to screw 1 up on Switch eventually. Have you ever played the arcade Lugi's Mansion? It's a Ghostbusters like FPS. I watched my kids play for 25 straight minutes at Dave & Busters. I'd take a port of that w/ gyro controls. Probably not getting that Machina X game, world looked too empty. I'm pretty much using my limited game time for MUST PLAY games. God of War 2 hopefully PS5 launch, and Spiderman on PS5 as well. RDR2 doesn't interest me, I'd rather watch Eastwood spaghetti westerns for the 1,000 time. Hopefully they don't shift TLoU2 to PS5 and it's a nice PS4 swan song in 2019. That's Day 1 unless it goes all online multiplayer of FPS or something stupid. Can't be too careful these days.

Gotta go shower and dress for a NYE party tonight. Happy New Year whatever it is you're doing, though my guess is on gaming.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH Well to Capcom's defense the in game ads were a limited time thing (to promote the tourney) and are gone for now. They built this game for the tourney scene, makes it annoying but that was their goal. Didn't know about DMC5 though. Welp I guess I wont get that then. Bayo3 it is then. (I didn't enjoy DMC4 anyway so I don't think I'm missing out.)

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Tsurii

If my boys and girls at platinum keep the trend up Bayo 3 is gonna blow anything else out of the water anyway. 2 is still by far my favorite character action game ever and if they improve upon that yet again 3 will probably mean I'll die of pure bliss 😂

I was really looking forward to Dmc5 but like @JaxonH 's my excitement got brutalized by those stupid f****ng micro transactions 🙄

What a beautiful signature.
Chew.

Switch FC SW-2755-1473-1221
3DS FC 0662-8621-2250

Twitter

HobbitGamer

Is Bayo similar in play to old DMC or God of War?

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

EvilLucario

I'm not blind that they will always throttle ingame progression to some extent to lure people into MTX, but if reviews come out from actual gamers that it's seriously bad, then I'll skip DMC5 as well. Which is a shame since I love games like DMC and Bayonetta.

JaxonH

@rjejr
Pro tip. In Pokémon Let’s Go, you don’t actually have to use your thumb for buttons. Shoulder buttons work too. You may still need to hit B for back though.

Happy New Years. And we’ll reconvene when Fire Emblem drops. I definitely believe that’s going to be in the “must play” category.

@EvilLucario
I’m sure it’ll be a fine game (though truthfully I never thought DMC was all that good in the first place... Bayonetta is soooo much better IMO, don’t get me wrong though I still think it’s good). But I’m just tired of this ever-progressing trend toward completely ruining our games. You give them an inch and they’ll take a mile. I wouldn’t say this about a series whose future depends on the success of the next entry, because in that case the future of the series becomes more important than making a point, but DMC is not in jeopardy if DMC5 fails, and as such, I’d very much like to see it fail commercially so Capcom gets the point and backs off with the nonsense. I’d also SFV, but I was dumb enough to preorder that one back in the day... a lesson I’m not keen on repeating.

@JackEatsSparrows
Similar to DMC and the old school GoW (New GoW is a different style game). I think Bayonetta is the best of the 3 by a considerable margin, but all three are really good.

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

HobbitGamer

@Ralizah @JaxonH Thanks, I might check out some gameplay vids and reviews on 1 & 2

#TeamPineapple
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

JaxonH

@JackEatsSparrows
Bayonetta 2 is better than Bayo1 IMO. The first game had some uneven difficulty spikes, and some merciless QTE that got sprung on you without warning. QTE are part of the game, it’s just his style, but the second one incorporates them much more naturally. But they aren’t too prevalent in either game.

Bayo2 was dang near a perfect game. I believe it scored more 10/10 than almost any other game that year. Was surprised Dragon Age Inquisition won GotY over Bayo2. It was fantastic but... it wasn’t on that perfection level Bayo2 was.

Bayonetta 2 is an absolute must own. Quite possibly the best action combo-based game ever created. I’m struggling to think of another one that did it better

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

BenGrimm

I got both games and I’m still struggling. I’ve heard 2 is great but I won’t play it until I finish 1 and I’m not enjoying that as much as I thought I would.

BenGrimm

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic