Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 37,641 to 37,660 of 38,820

Anti-Matter

@Cobalt
"If you release a game the same day on the 3 platforms, normally a customer is gonna pick one of the three... if the PS4 and XBOX ONE version runs perfectly smooth with better shaders/graphics/FXs etc... then you have a big chance that the majority will get these versions... AND DONE ! "

For me, when the game released together (Switch, PS4 & Xbox1), i will definetely choose the Switch version, ignore the other machines version.
I don't care with lower specs as long still tolerable.

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (10 / 10)
2. The Sims series (9 / 10)
3. Portal Knights Switch (9 / 10)
4. Animal Crossing New Leaf 3DS (9 / 10)
5. ARMS (8 / 10)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

ReaderRagfihs

If we already know it's coming to Switch, there's not much reason to double dip. You could just play the original or something to tide you over until then if you really can't wait.

It looks like Nintendo is dropping support for the classic mini systems to focus more on NSO. Do you think this means we'll never get a Gameboy or N64 mini?

@Cobalt Is that why countless games have sold better on Switch than PS4/Xbox?

Edited on by ReaderRagfihs

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Wiimmfi Friend Codes: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/2019_wiids_friend_code_thread

NEStalgia

@Cobalt 's posts are making sense. I really need more coffee.............

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

nintendobynature

@ReaderRagfish I think that's what's happening. The mini consoles were holding back classic content on the switch. At the very minimum, I think we'll at least start to get snes games now. Maybe not n64 right since I still think they'll do a n64 classic.

Edit: I misread your comment. I think we will be getting more minis in the future. But I'm hoping with dropping support of snes classic that means we get those games on switch

Edited on by nintendobynature

nintendobynature

subpopz

ReaderRagfish wrote:

It looks like Nintendo is dropping support for the classic mini systems to focus more on NSO. Do you think this means we'll never get a Gameboy or N64 mini?

I really hope so. These Classic systems are holding back the release of this content on Switch. They're just more devices with games that need another hook up, are limited to what they come with and are limited to either on TV or portable. I'd rather have the content on my device that does both portable and TV seamlessly.

Switch - Smash Ultimate, Mario Kart 8D, NES Online (Dr. Mario only)
3DS -
PC - The Witcher 3, Nier: Automata, Mortal Kombat XL

Switch FC : SW-1091-9839-4896

Octane

I don't think the number of people willing to double dip is that big to warrant a delayed release. There are also plenty of people who will have forgotten about a game when it does release on their platform of choice. Remember Rise of the Tomb Raider?

Let's not forget that the Switch is fundamentally a different machine. Engines need to be ported if it doesn't run on something standard like UE or Unity. And big file sizes don't work on Switch either, so it requires a lot more compression as well. Why do you think that ports like Dark Souls Remastered were outsourced instead of developed by the same studio? PC, PS4 and Xbox are very close, so that's essentially making one version that covers those three platforms, and a separate version for the Switch. Don't get me wrong, the Switch is doing well, but when the choice is between focusing on Switch or other three, I think the latter three platforms will get priority.

Octane

JackEatsSparrows

@subpopz Yeah, I’m hoping that somewhere in a meeting somebody broached the thought that if these platforms are supported more through NSO instead of a standalone product, it would give added value to NSO. They’re not exactly growing a Switch consumer base by continuing the mini product line. Obviously there’s nothing preventing Switch owners from buying them, but consumer money spent on an SNES could be spent on a software title and a year of NSO if they went that route.
I think the NES and SNES minis were just a stopgap to maintain brand recognition in a hardware sense, and a relatively safe bet on a product with low investment and higher than average return (for hardware).

But I’m just a silly billy man, saying what crazy things I can, living in a loopy land...I’m done. 😂

#NoMoreBedtimes
#MeatAndGreet

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

gcunit

This minis were very effective at raising Nintendo's profile and kudos in preparation for NSO. They've done their job for now but it's time for them to make way for NSO.

Nintendo doesn't want to shoot its whole load of legacy content in one go. Teasing it out helps maintain interest/publicity in the NSO service. Spunk the whole lot of in one go and then where can they go?

If NSO fails to get the takeup Nintendo is looking for then maybe the minis will return from time to time. But expect it to be limited each time, for hype purposes.

Edited on by gcunit

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

NEStalgia

@HobbitGamer @gcunit Yeah, remember when they did the NES mini the effectively had no console for sale. They acknowledged the WiiU was sunset, dropped it from all promotional advertising, and while 3DS was still a great seller it was clearly past it's zenith. They needed hardware for that holiday to keep excitement up, and that was it.

NEStalgia

LetsGoSwitch

Sorry but my kickstand keeps falling in matches of Splatoon ( I don't have Smash yet ). Anyone know a solution?

LetsGoSwitch

subpopz

It makes sense to not dump everything at once. It doesn't make sense to be so secretive about things that don't need to be. They want to sell this service, but refuse to say anything beyond the vague about what they're going to do with it. They expect people to buy in on vague promises. I love Nintendo, but their vagueness and ultra-secretive nature about absolutely everything really wears on me.
Reggies been saying for a while now that they know we want the legacy content and NSO is going to be the way to get it...but it currently isn't the best way and nothings been said about when it will be or even what will be. Now he's saying the focus is on the NES, but they're discontinuing the SNES Classic with no mention of a replacement option on NSO.
The last of the NES/SNES classics will sell no matter what, so it's not like the secret is going to hurt them.
I believe they think they are teasing and building interest by not saying anything, but I think they're just causing disinterest and frustration by saying absolutely nothing. Just saying SNES or whatever else is in fact coming would be a tease.

3DS -

Link-Hero

It would be really upsetting if Nintendo only sticks with NES titles throughout the Switch's life. I'm sorry people who are nostalgic for that system, but besides a small decent amount of titles, a lot of games for it have aged poorly. Switch's online service will only be worth it if they include the SNES.

I'm sure Nintendo will add in the SNES eventually, but it just probably won't happen for at least another year or two. It would be a poor business decision if they didn't.

Link-Hero

Nintendo Network ID: LinkHero25

EvilLucario

I just wonder how the indie success would have turned out if Nintendo just unleashed their entire catalog into the Switch Day 1. It probably wouldn't have driven this much indie games on the eShop. So something had to give I suppose.

I would love to play Super Metroid on my Switch eventually, though.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

gcunit

My guess is SNES games will come when the service hits 12 months... and coincidentally increases in price by a few quid.

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

ReaderRagfihs

We still don't know what games will be added in January. Coincidence? Maybe.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Wiimmfi Friend Codes: http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii/2019_wiids_friend_code_thread

PikPi

Honestly, with how they handle alot of the NSO stuff, it wouldn't surprise me if the only reason they're so vague is literally just because they have no clue at the moment either.

Edited on by PikPi

PikPi

NEStalgia

@EvilLucario I said yesterday that I think defending the indies is half of the reason. I'm not sure that's a good thing. And it makes me actively resent the success of indies if I can't play actual classic games I want to play just to make it easier for indies to sell their dozens of late to the party clones of it.

NEStalgia

EvilLucario

@NEStalgia Yeah, it's a bit of a catch-22 though. If you don't release these games, you won't appeal to your long-time or new fans who want to dig into your catalog... but you also appeal to indies who find a gold mine to make their own games to put on there. If you do release these games en masse, you stuff out most indie support while also catering to the fans, while you may not get as much money from just flat-out releasing them compared to drip-feeding (although I'm not sure drip-feeding works with a subscription).

It's a tough situation imo. Going on selfish reasons I would love to be able to instantly play my SNES games wherever I want, but then I think about indies and how much support they give and I'm here feeling a bit conflicted again.

Idk. We'll see how it all turns out in the next few years.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

subpopz

If an Indie is good, it'll get the recognition. I hardly think retro choices hindered Shovel Knight or Hollow Knight or Celeste or any of the other stand outs.
Other companies are handling retro catalogs much better. Telling us whats coming, whats in the works, and getting them out there and still not just dumping them all at once.

3DS -

Grumblevolcano

@ReaderRagfish Probably that they'll announce the next few months of NES games in a Direct. Whether late December or early January, one has to be coming soon.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic