Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 37,661 to 37,680 of 45,642

JaxonH

@BenGrimm
Definitely should play on the easier difficulty.

Bayonetta 1 can get brutal. I remember getting stuck on these two angels that were a pair. Oh my gosh I died so many times. I didn’t enjoy it as much as Bayonetta 2, but when you get past those difficulty spikes it does go back to being a really enjoyable game.

Bayo2 is balanced much better than Bayo1. Had practically zero complaints from start to finish

PLAYING
NS: Fire Emblem Three Houses, Dragon Quest Builders 2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Vita: Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz

Jesus is Lord.

CLICK HERE For My Switch Collection

BenGrimm

@JaxonH
The difficulty spikes I can sort of handle but some of those QTE just make me want to throw the pad sometimes 🤬

BenGrimm

EvilLucario

@BenGrimm The QTEs are junk, which is why I much prefer Bayonetta 2 over 1. 1's still fantastic though. Hard difficulty in 2 is equal to Normal difficulty in 1.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

I really hope Platinum eventually develops an RPG on the Switch someday. NieR: Automata had everything I love about Platinum games (responsive controls and engaging, lightning-fast combat) while also ditching the stuff that I dislike in Bayonetta (score-based combat, overt linearity, terrible writing, QTEs everywhere, etc.).

Ralizah

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Idk if linearity is a strike against games like Bayonetta and DMC. Bayonetta and DMC are basically 3D transitions of old school beat-em-ups and action-adventures like Streets of Rage and Castlevania mixed with much more advanced combat. In these types of games, the combat is the star of the show and takes center stage over everything else. Level design and enemies also help for that, but having non-linearity in the progression wouldn't necessarily make it better or worse. In some ways, it being laser-focused in sticking with what it knows best helps in its design.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

Ya, linearity fits Bayonetta well. It’s purely focused on the combat, which I actually love being score based. It’s completely optional and doesn’t hinder your progress, but it provides a ton of replayability, and the satisfaction you get from a pure platinum is beyond words.

I actually lost interest in Nier after a few hours. Great game. I don’t recall having any particular complaint with it. It just failed to grab me like Bayonetta. I’d give it another shot if it came to Switch though.

Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 are the 2 P* games that really hooked me. And W101 had its flaws, but man was that game fantastic. I would LOVE to see that game ported over to Switch, though I would miss the dual screen segments, which I found to be some of the best on the U. They did a really good job with that dual screen gameplay... really good job.

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

kkslider5552000

I'll double emphasize the writing problems in Bayonetta. Bayonetta 2's story I think was trying to be a ridiculous parody of dumb video game stories but just ended up as a dumb video game story instead. It makes me wish they didn't even bother with a story or cutscenes because who cares?

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

EvilLucario

@kkslider5552000 Yeah story is the worst part of Bayonetta. 1 is convoluted and not very interesting, and 2 is kinda just dumb. I'm only interested in why Bayonetta got beaten up on 3's teaser trailer for how things happen, not the why or the destination. I'm there for the spectacle basically.

Fortunately, story is not a selling point for Bayonetta like it is in an RPG. So it's harmless to me, and instead I focus my energy in making fun of it, like how the main villain of Bayonetta 2 looks like a kite of all things. Like, seriously?

Ralizah

@EvilLucario Extremely limited design freedom bothers me a lot more in 3D games, for whatever reason. I have similar issues with the Uncharted games. NieR felt like a journey of self-discovery, both in terms of the narrative aspects and the gameplay. Bayonetta is an incoherent, spectacle-driven series of setpieces that left me feeling exhausted every time I played.

At least the second game was more approachable, with its less irritating setpieces, more balanced difficulty, and larger window for witch time activations.

Ralizah

JaxonH

The story in Bayonetta 2 is nothing more than spectacle which serves as a vehicle to transition combat segments. It’s not a good story and it really doesn’t make much sense, but I love watching the cut scenes nonetheless.

It’s not Uncharted linear though. There is a lot of exploring and hidden secrets in Bayonetta 2. Within the confines of the linear path, but it’s still enough to do it’s job. The reason it sucks in Uncharted, is because there’s nothing to glue it all together. Gameplay is mediocre- the sole selling point of the entire game is graphics and story. Unfortunately since the bulk of your time is spent in gameplay, if the gameplay is subpar... well... With Bayonetta 2, The gameplay is immaculate. The star of the show. Every second is an adrenaline rush from start to finish. And that’s why it succeeds. And that’s why being linear is OK because the whole point of the game is the combat. You wouldn’t expect exploration in a fighting game either. Because the focus is fighting.

The best part about it though is it’s skill based. Highly skill based. And you feel a real sense of progression not just as you unlock more moves, but as you master the ones you already have, improve your timing with dodges, etc. I remember playing the multiplayer online with Sinalefa (who loves that game as one of his absolute favorite games of all time), and while it’s co-op, it’s also competitive to see who gets the better score. I remember the first stage I got stone medals, but then it all came back and I started getting double platinums, repeatedly. Kind of felt like I was showing off in a game he loved more than me. I actually think half of those were sheer dumb luck. Normally I don’t play that well. But it sure felt good getting those platinum medals.

Anyways

Just got done playing the good ol’ Wii U. Ya, that’s right. I’ve been playing Wii U all evening and well into the night. What game, you might ask (or not, but I’m going to tell you guys anyways)... Fire Emblem 7 GBA. Picked up where I left off on chapter 26, and I had to replay the chapter THREE TIMES before successfully recruiting Jaffar. Dear goodness. The first time I thought you could just walk up and talk to him once you made your way down the map. But nope. Beat the entire stage and then had to restart (and got worried the save file was updated to the next chapter where I couldn’t restart). Second time I recruited Nino, then carried her all the way to Jaffar, set her down, and she got one shotted the very next turn by Ursula wayyy down at the bottom of the map with some crazy magic spell that could reach like 20 freaking spaces. Third time I barely managed it, talked to Jaffar on the 14th turn (it was a “Defend the Prince for 15 Turns” map). Wasted a lot of my physics and special weapons but, all worth it in the end. I think there’s only a few chapters left before the game is over anyways. Might as well use em up!

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

Ah yes. The “sniper“ spells (Bolting, Purge, and Eclipse). There were times I felt they relied on those too often... but, thankfully, they had lower durability.

Nino has pretty good growth rates in pretty much everything sans Defense. I actually power leveled her on one playthrough years ago. Unfortunately, she got cursed in her Magic stat of all places. Still powerful, but it could've been even better...

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

bluemage1989

If there's one thing I don't think gets praised enough with Bayo games is the music. Absolutely love it.

SW 6041 0289 6234

Currently Playing:

Switch: Super Smash Bros: Ultimate, Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Arms and Mario Odyssey.

N64: Top Gear Rally.

Mega Drive: Streets of Rage 1, 2 and 3.

SNES: F Zero and Donkey Kong Country.

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
How much more of the game do I have to go? I’m at ch. 26xx in the 3rd triad of the game (is that the word for when it gets divided into three equal sections?) Nino is so fragile, I just wanted Jaffar tbh.

Also. Vestaria Saga demo from STEAM... you try it? Or did you miss that comment

edit
Aaaand... I see I’m actually on the second story, not the 3rd like I thought. I am over halfway done with the game though. Lyn’s story is finished, and apparently I’m at the end of Eliwood’s story.

edit 2
Wait... Hector’s story is the same as Eliwood’s. It has some exclusive chapters here and there but it seems it’s all the same otherwise. Ok. I thought there were three parts with three different stories. Apparently that’s not the case? I’m so confused

Edited on by JaxonH

PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

DarthNocturnal

@JaxonH

Chapter 26xx... the end should just be a few chapters away, if I recall. It's been a while.

Hector's story is a retread with a few exclusive chapters and different enemy placement in some cases. Plus some extra backstory thrown in here and there. I think it's supposed to be more difficult (and then there's Hector's story on Hard mode...)

I'm definitely curious in regards to Vestaria Saga. I'm surprised to see that it's even set for localization though. But I guess someone knows the significance of the name behind it.

Edited on by DarthNocturnal

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Yeah, the first year since 2012 with Halo 4 that an actual game beat out PSN cards lol. That's pretty incredible.

And apparently Xbox is doing good on NPDs too, which is good to hear. I have no reason to get an Xbox One, but it's certainly good to see Microsoft bounce back from the initial launch.

Edited on by EvilLucario

Ralizah

@EvilLucario Xbox One is one of the few consoles I've never owned, and almost certainly will never own.

With that said, it's amazing to see the entire industry so healthy again, and I would really love for Microsoft to come out swinging with their next Xbox, if only to put Sony back on the defensive. These companies need a good kick in the face every once in a while when they get too drunk on their own success.

Ralizah

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Honestly I thought this generation was literal dogtrash until the Switch came out. PS4 and Xbox One looked extremely bleak with crappy games all around and the Wii U didn't exactly excite me much either. Smash 4 was exciting, but I skipped Mario Kart 8 (until the Switch) and a lot of other games and I totally fell out of console gaming until the Switch came out to really reinvigorate my love for console gaming again. I spent most of that generation playing on my 3DS because that had a steady slew of games I absolutely adored.

It really goes to show that when there's only one company that's really "strong" (and even then I'd argue PS4 sucked until 2016, where the ****ing Wii U was better, how is that even possible) the entire industry is a turd :^]

Ralizah

@EvilLucario The gen started slow, but I feel like it's an improvement over the last one overall. There's a greater diversity of different types of games. Capcom and Japanese console gaming as a whole are finally great again. Nintendo's first-party output on Wii U/Switch are overall better than on the Wii. And the 3DS was, of course, full of great games.

Ralizah

RedderRugfish

@JaxonH Hector's mode is similar to Eliwood's mode, but there are many subtle differences. Higher difficulty, new levels, new recruitable characters, more backstory, too much to list here. I'd say it's worth going through if you enjoyed the game and want more.

I leveled Nino my last playthrough of FE7, and got unlucky with level ups. Not as bad as Eliwood though, who had only 16 strength after getting to level 20 and promoting. Ouch.

Mario Maker 2: JN2-5GV-VTF
Latest Level: The Mario Repair Shop 361-D5D-1CG

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic