Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 3,701 to 3,720 of 70,001

gcunit

Quite - $10 a month could only ever be thinkable for software only, not hardware inclusive.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Samurai_Goroh

I like to own my games and systems, so it's not for me. Doubt Nintendo would go that way, either.

Samurai_Goroh

Moshugan

Well, if the rumor has any truth to it, there might be more to the story.

BTW, there's a rumor that the announcement for the date of the reveal might come today, on the 12th! It's only 7:30 AM in Redmond, USA, so there's the whole day to wait if that's true. :----D

Edited on by Moshugan

My Super Mario Maker 2's Maker ID: R7B-M93-5GF

Nintendo Network ID: Moshugan

Samurai_Goroh

@Moshugan But it's already 23:34 in Japan and Nintendo is still very much a Japanese company.

Samurai_Goroh

FragRed

I'm not expecting any announcements today regarding a reveal date, nor tomorrow. I think if it's revealed this month we will hear about the announcement after TGS.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

FragRed

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Are you suggesting Nintendo's about to launch armageddon?

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

TuVictus

@Samurai_Goroh Yeah, exactly. There's a reason most Nintendo announcements are things people in the US wake up to lol. NoJ would be the ones giving the go ahead for an announcement

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

skywake

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

I wouldn't be a fan myself but it works for phones so why not. If they did do it, I could see it being trialled in Japan first.

The funny thing about it is that that model has become less popular for phones over the years. I don't have the stats for it but every year I see more SIM-only plans and more unlocked mobiles in the shops. I'd argue that it's a model that people are pretty sceptical of especially given that it always involves some sort of lock-in contract. You get a phone with your plan? You're also agreeing to stick with them for 2 years. People are far more cautious of that these days.

Now Nintendo are a company that likes to sell you bits and pieces. They like to make money as any company does. But they've always made a bit of a point about being up-front about it. Just look at their mobile stuff as an example. That Mario game they're coming out with, they could have pushed micro-transactions hard. But no, it's basically a demo with a one-off payment unlocking the full game. It's very Nintendo.

..... this subscription model theory isn't

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

dtjive

gcunit wrote:

Quite - $10 a month could only ever be thinkable for software only, not hardware inclusive.

Agree- I suspect if there's any authenticity to it then it has to be a mistake that it includes hardware as well. For example, we'd have to assume there would be minimum length of time you're bound into the contract for. Let's say that's 24 months as that's the normal duration of a phone contract:

$10 a month x 24 = $240.

At which point the consumer has the option to stop the payments or continue paying them. So essentially I could get an NX and two years of gameplay for $240? That is a bargain as I'd be surprised if they could even sell the hardware for $240 from what is currently rumoured. And even if I have to go then repurchase some games that I want to revisit (e.g. Breath of the Wild), they'd be much cheaper to purchase by then than on day of sale which is what I would normally have paid full price for. And as aside I was able to try out many other games that I wouldn't normally have played for absolutely nothing.

My feeling is that if this is true then it doesn't include the NX hardware. I'd suspect that it would be something like $10 a month for full access to virtual console games, plus a limited amount of NX games per year or for a higher fee (e.g. $15) then you can have unlimited access to NX games. That would still be a bargain imo.

But I think the problem I envisage with this is that would place considerable strain on the limited storage space provided. Further still, what happens when games get DLC? Do you get access to that too free of charge? If players have to download games onto the NX, what is stopping someone from getting round paying each month and just getting the games they want and stopping the subscription? I'm sure there's solutions to these issues but I can see it having problems.

IMO, $10 a month for the virtual console would be perfect. Already a large catalogue of games to try from that would warrant a day one subscription. The games are also small in size causing less issue with hardware capacity.

dtjive

dtjive

skywake wrote:

..... this subscription model theory isn't

Agreed. But whilst that may be the case for hardware, in terms of software the trend is increasing. Look at Amazon, Netflix, Spotify. Most people are happy to pay a small fee per month to get access to a large range of music, tv, film. The same could apply to games.

Personally, I think if there's any truth to it, it concerns only virtual console games. It might also encompass NX games but only when they have been deep into their life cycle- sort of replacing (or co-existing alongisde) the current Nintendo selects model. That basically after certain amount of time after initial release (let's say 1 year- it could be longer) the game then becomes available on subscription. In essence, this would work similar to how Netflix does. You either pay to see a movie in the cinema (pay for the game upfront)- or wait 6 months/a year to see it on Netflix.

dtjive

Moshugan

Samurai_Goroh wrote:

@Moshugan But it's already 23:34 in Japan and Nintendo is still very much a Japanese company.

The one who said that the date announcement would happen on the 12th was American (I suppose?), so he could've talked about what date it would be in his local time. Suppose that Nintendo global would announce the date at high noon on the 13th in Kyoto time. It would only be 8 PM on the 12th in Redmond USA!

Oh, this rumor came from 10K (or Tenkay23 aka Kevin Carreiro) and I think there's no corroborating sources.

Edited on by Moshugan

SLIGEACH_EIRE

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this here that I don't believe the "early October" prediction. This rumour all stems back to The Wall Street Journal and just one line.

"Analysts said they expect Nintendo to release NX details by early October."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-shares-soar-as-mario-com...

And everyone's jumped on the bandwagon. These "analysts" know sweet F.A. They probably looked at the Apple/Super Mario Run deal and the share price jump and think well that'll keep the shareholders content for another while. Where was this prediction prior to the announcement? The analysts keep pushing out the reveal date. First it was E3, then it was August, then mid September, now it's early October. I still think it'll be this week(though for some reason I've got September 23rd in my head). It's beyond annoying at this point, just show it already. The longer they wait, the worse it will be for Nintendo.

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

FragRed

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Didn't Eurogamer say in it's NX leak that it would be revealed by the end of September though?

Moshugan

@SLIGEACH_EIRE Ah, that's most def just a guesstimation on The Wall Street Journal's part.
Here's one of their employees saying as much:

dtjive

We've reached that point now where we'll be hearing of reveal date rumours almost every day. In March everyone was convinced that it would be at E3, but then Nintendo dropped the bombshell of it being a Zelda-only event. That naturally meant that the early period after E3 was also off the cards, otherwise why not just show it then?

So as we have been saying since then, the likeliest time of a reveal would be September. We're now in mid-September and so every Tom, Dick and Harry will be claiming to know some source that says "today's the day" or "23rd September is the day" because the timeframe of current theorising of a reveal is rapidly closing.

If Nintendo don't announce a reveal date themselves in the next few days, I guarantee you the rest of September is going to be excruciating as the rumour mill ramps up..

dtjive

TuVictus

I truly hope all the rumors discussed thus far regarding the NX itself and the situation of when it'll be revealed are false to teach a valuable lesson to all of us. Imagine the shock everyone will have if it's not a console/handheld hybrid, because at the moment everyone is now basing their rumors off that one, as if it's a fact already

TuVictus

nuovian

I'm still surprised no-one's reported this:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277491

Kevin Pereira (Attack of the Show) is hosting a presentation for Nintendo at the Gamestop Expo on Wednesday. He's been teasing it on Snapchat and hinted on Twitter (after hearing about the Neogaf thread) that it was related to the NX among other stuff. Chances are this isn't an unveiling, but I'd be surprised if they didn't get a reveal date or something from this.

Edited on by nuovian

nuovian

3DS Friend Code: 3050-7776-5587 | My Nintendo: nuovian

GrailUK

AGH! I cannot take peoples ignorance anymore. NX. NX... when will it be revealed?
November 10th. N...X...
Right, hope everyone is happy, I am gonna get killed by Nintendo Ninj...crash!smash!

Edit*Thought that was them...but I dropped my dinner.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

IceClimbers

Hmm, let's look at the past couple weeks for news.

Two weeks ago, the last week of August/1st couple days of September: On Monday, Nintendo posted a video where Reggie unveiled the Galaxy New 3DS XL. On Tuesday, they announce a 3DS Direct for Thursday.

Fast forward to last week. On Tuesday was the Ultra Beasts trailer for Sun/Moon. Then on Wednesday Miyamoto all of a sudden shows up at the Apple Event and announces Super Mario Run.

Now comes this week. Today came the CoroCoro scans and Nintendo posted this video:

On Wednesday is the new trailer drop for Sun/Moon. TGS is also this week. Hmm. Tuesday is wide open.

I'm gonna take a guess and say that if they plan on revealing the NX in September and they will announce the reveal date in advance, tomorrow or Wednesday is the best time to do it. Nintendo does tend to have most of their press release announcements on Monday/Tuesday.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic