Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 35,821 to 35,840 of 69,997

Grumblevolcano

The UK eshop says that Yoshi's Crafted World doesn't support cloud saves.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Cobalt

@Octane

Extremely cheap !

I bought 500gr(a little more than 1 pound) of Comté and it was 15€ (17$)...

Cobalt

Ralizah

@Tsurii So, in terms of the hair whipping: it starts out a bit slow and cumbersome, but you'll be able to buy shampoos and creams that upgrade both the speed of whipping and the damage output. At max speed whipping is incredibly snappy and quite a bit of fun.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the rest of the game.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Ryu_Niiyama

@JaxonH Wait...onimusha is out already? Did I miss a release date? Then again you said Japan.... Its on my list as Onimusha is one of my favorite series (I have all of the games including the fighting one and I loved the GBA one) but I'm on a no spending budget until either FE or the last month of GCU which ever comes first and I'm trying real hard to stick to that. Who knew subject matter makes a game fun. As it is just RE mechanics with a fantasy Japan setting and yet I love Onimusha while I don't really like RE very much.

I do hope that it sells well though so capcom ports the rest of the series. Even Dawn of Dreams.

Taiko is good for the soul, Hoisa!
Japanese NNID:RyuNiiyamajp
Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19
I'm a Dream Fighter. Perfume is Love, Perfume is Life.

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9849-8413 | Nintendo Network ID: RyuNiiyama

Ralizah

@Ryu_Niiyama @JaxonH Never played Onimusha. It looks kinda like Tenchu, but with Resident Evil's camera angles and controls. What's the unique appeal of this series, if you don't mind my asking?

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

Dragon Quest XI S confirmed for 2019 launch, with trailer ( I really hate being the guy who says I told you so, but... you guys know who you are who said it’d never happen )

Also, Voice Acting included. Apparently the PS4 version didn’t have that in Japan? If nothing else at least there’s Japanese, but I’d prefer the English anyways.

@Ralizah @Ryu_Niiyama
I guess it’s kind of got that Nioh style combat Long before Dark Souls was ever a thing. You even collect souls from your enemies. I guess it’s the setting and storyline that really stands out for this one. I don’t think it really does anything that other games haven’t done (at least in terms of now, back then I’m sure it broke all kinds of new ground) but, I’m really enjoying it. It’s cheap, Story is good, the cut scenes are great. I guess the appeal for me is that it’s a known classic and there’s no way I would want to play this game in its original form. So this gives me a chance to see what all the fuss was about in a more modern way.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

bluemage1989

@Ryu_Niiyama Onimusha Tactics on the GBA was a great game. Tactics/TBS games arent a genre i normally get excited about and this could be nostalgia talking but i really enjoyed it back in the day.

I havent actually played the mainline games all that much so ill be looking forward to giving Warlords a go soon. I remember the hype when it originally released and seeing screenshots in gaming magazines but never found the time to actually play its original release. Am i right in thinking it plays a lot like early Resi games??

bluemage1989

Ryu_Niiyama

@bluemage1989 Yeah, capcom essentially took the Resident evil (pre 4) gameplay style added Takeshi Kaneshiro (who was quite famous at the time) and baked in a sengoku fantasy/demon storyline and there you go. Its kinda RE for people that dont like RE (IMO since I don't really like RE, but its entirely due to the subject matter...I find humanity's obsession with death very boring...it will get to you eventually after all.) I always liked the weapon versatility and the way that you level using demon souls. Also happy to find another fan of the GBA game(so glad it is on wiiu)... I usually get weird looks when I mention it lol.

@Ralizah Camera is more locked than tenchu, and you don't have the stealth/strategy focus. Its an action adventure done in the pre RE4 gameplay style. But the combat is fluid enough (for the game and for capcom) and it has a mildly interesting story by the time you get to 3 imo. Nioh is not a good comparison though....onimusha is clunkier than that. Boss fights were fun though. 1 is more of a let's play historical figures (and a few not) in a demonic fantasy flavored setting but you dont get the overall picture imo until 3...4 was kind of a soft reboot of the franchise but it still held to the kinda historical elements. Besides Japan loves to hate Oda Nobunaga.

@JaxonH Yeah Japan got no voice acting at all (which actually makes it my preferred version) the themes for the S name for the switch version were "Seiyuu" and "Special" so they did mention the voice acting a little while back. I just hope the news is "available after this presentation". I get that unreal gave them a headache and they had to hire Seiyuu to get lines recorded but this game kinda needs to hurry the heck up. I always try to see both sides but I'm half way through the 3ds version at this point and I'm not sure I wanna go back again for a little while. (what am I saying...I'll start it over...)
EDIT: Looking at the trailer...yeah I need this to come out now. I like the charm of the 3ds version but geez this looks good (I avoided the ps4/pc versions since I wasn't going to get them)

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

GrailUK

@JaxonH That does look lovely Mr H. I'll reserve judgement till I see gameplay, but if the mechanics hold up looking like that, then I think the Switch has another winner on it's hands.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Ryu_Niiyama

@Grumblevolcano ? Doesn't overly bother me. I know that it would not be helpful for sales in the west. But since I'm not sure if I want to pay the import prices or not and I have been waiting for a bit I will likely get it digital. I will look and see if Squenix does a system language lock the way bamco and capcom have been doing (its a minor annoyance but sorta defeats the convenience of digital if I have to change the system language and reboot). I won't be buying a US version anyhoo.

I'm not a "physical or bust" kind of gal. I have a massive physical collection (which I'm currently organizing and cataloging) but I am not a "collector" in the fashion of needing a museum to gaming (even if my library is large enough that it gives the illusion that I am) I go by what is most convenient for me...I just want easy, legal access to games. I don't care about the medium. Besides the region free nature of the eshop has made it easier to keep my Japanese library digital to be honest.

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Grumblevolcano

@Ryu_Niiyama It was about the comment regarding hoping the news was "available after the presentation", outside of very few exceptions (e.g. Kinect) that's a digital thing.

While digital only doesn't bother me, being digital only on some platforms while others get physical versions does. It doesn't stop game purchases but rather puts them at lower priority, Mega Man 11 is a very good example of this (physical PS4 and XB1 but digital only Switch for Europe).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
I’d just import the NA version. Amazon ships worldwide, and has been crucial part of how I import from Europe and Japan.

I get the whole lower priority thing because even though I prefer the convenience of digital I still like having a physical copy, and can appreciate the sentiment from those who don’t want to buy both. But with region free being a thing now, I would be taking full advantage of that. Among all the regions, very few games don’t get a physical release in English. You guys can grab Mega Man 11 from Amazon US, I can grab Blazblue Central Fiction from Amazon UK, we all grab World of Final Fantasy from Play-Asia and Onimusha from Amazon Japan...

It’s a global market. Mr. Gorbachev, tear those regional walls down!

@Ryu_Niiyama
Well, it’ll be out in 2019 which, that’s within 12 months of the other versions’ western release. But it sounds like you’ve been playing the Japanese version which did release some time before that. I think this one’s getting a global release though. I’m pretty sure I remember them saying that so, at least for most people in the west it really doesn’t seem like that long of a wait past the other versions. But it’ll definitely be worth it! I’d love to grab a fan translated version on my 3DS just for posterity, but the truth is I’d probably never play it anyways. I want the Switch version. I actually ended up grabbing the PS4 version in a fire sale for less than 20 bucks but, I’m not sure why. I want to play this game on that handheld screen.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Ryu_Niiyama

@Grumblevolcano Ah. Ok I was wondering why you made the comment. So to better answer that now that I have context....If they made it available so quickly like that I'm fairly certain I would just go buy a yen eshop card and download it. I suppose this may seem petty but I'm abandoning DQ in English. I'm an American and I don't have any understanding or reference to the cockney dialect that is used in DQ now so after playing DQ builders and having a section that I could barely understand (and im not sure if I did) I have decided to stop buying English language DQ releases. So for me it is like playing a game entirely in slang (which I don't keep up with so it makes the game illegible to me) and since I have no relatable or easy access to understanding the cockney dialect (I don't have any British friends that can go "bob's your uncle means this..." I still don't know what that means...why is Bob my uncle?). I don't mind it when I'm not the target audience (so for instance this site...many of the articles use British slang that I don't often understand) but I do miss the days where we had multilanguage games that had localization for NA English, UK English and AUS English.

I'd never really noticed/cared as I actually always bought the jpn versions first (DQ was my first serious exposure to Japanese as a language and I spent my summers as a child translating 5 and 6) and then western second...and it didn't get really bad until 8 on but after builders I've reached an "enough is enough" phase. I want to buy them to support the devs and show that westerners love DQ as well...but if I can't read it I can't read it.

I suppose I could "translate it" but the problem is with English of the Southern US dialect being my first language it is harder to turn off my brain when I read something that is English but not what I expect...so I get annoyed/confused instead. I also have a low tolerance for poor language skills (my punctuation is terrible on this site because I type in a hurry, but I like to hope I'm clear in WHAT I say) and while I will never be mean to someone about it, I disconnect from the conversation pretty quickly. I suppose it is petty, but its how my brain is wired.

@JaxonH The S version is the Japanese version. We still don't know what Squenix is going to do with the International version (although they have it somewhat easier if they can just pull the language files from the ps4/pc version and use those). Still this is Squenix. If they say S JPN version is out in May 2019, I expect S International to be out around March 2020. I want the game in Japanese anyway (I explained why to Grumblevolcano above) so I am just hoping for a early 2019 release. I hope it is simultaneous release though...but like I said this is Squenix.

Your assumption is correct, I imported the 3ds version a few months ago. I don't use my 3ds much so it is slow going, but I think I'm halfway through...I could be wrong though.

Edited on by Ryu_Niiyama

Team Cupcake! 11/15/14
Team Spree! 4/17/19

Cobalt

Dragon Quest XI was already played by the fans on PS4 or PC since September...
The problem will be again the price... Basically when the Switch version will be available, the PS4 version would cost 10€...

Edited on by Cobalt

Cobalt

JaxonH

@Cobalt
Correction: played by SOME PS4 fans. Played by SOME PC fans.

This version is for the Switch fans, and the multitude of multi-console owners who knew to wait for the version they actually wanted, not to mention the multitude of multi-console owners who will buy it twice, because the first version released isn’t satisfying all of their needs and desires.

Even a $10 price tag can’t save the PS4 version from Switch. It’s not about money except for broke people (and most people who play video games aren’t broke, hence the fact they are enjoying luxury entertainment on $300-$500 consoles, often owning more than one of those consoles, with $60 games on all of them year round). It’s about the quality of the experience, and people like hybrid versions of games on Switch. It’s why games like Diablo III are topping the charts, even with a cheaper PS4 version. Of course all people are naturally frugal and look for the best deal. Wealthy or poor that is always true. But people don’t buy any old version of a game simply BECAUSE its cheaper, without factoring into account what they’re getting for their money. Across PC/PS4/X1, it probably does just come down to price for most. Because the value is similar across all 3 platforms. To most people who own a Switch though, the value of having a game on the system is exponentially higher, so a lower price isn’t going to deter most people from buying that version. If it’s about “saving money” they wouldn’t be playing video games at all. They’d sell their consoles and put their $ in the bank.

You get what you pay for, and people are definitely willing to pay for what they really want.

Edited on by JaxonH

GeeEmm

Yeah, I dont have a PS4 so looking forward to playing Dragon Quest XI S on my Switch.
Wish theyd release Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 on the eshop over here.

Edited on by GeeEmm

GeeEmm

HobbitGamer

Teh Master Chef game waz on exbox, no one will by Mister Chief Annaversary.
😑

#MudStrongs

Switch Friend Code: SW-7842-2075-5515 | My Nintendo: HobbitGamr | Nintendo Network ID: HobbitGamr

Sadist

Sign me up for the Switch version despite owning a PS4.

After playing both Xenoblade 2 and Octopath Traveler on Switch I can honestly say I love playing RPG’s on the system. If an RPG has a Switch version I’m choosing it over a PS4 version. Vesperia, FF XII TZA and now DQ XI? Give it to me.

Sadist

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic