Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 33,321 to 33,340 of 41,109

Ralizah

@EvilLucario Rondo of Blood is easily my favorite game in the entire series. I've played it countless times on my Vita over the years. Especially Maria's campaign. While it's a bit on the easy side compared to Richter's campaign, I love the absurd contrast between her character and the rest of the game. And she's just more fun to play as thanks to the range of her main attack. The music is great. The bosses are a great challenge without being cheap or infuriating. Actually, that sentiment applies to the game as a whole: it's one of the fairest games in the entire series in terms of boss and level design.

Not as big of a fan of Dracula X Chronicles or the SNES port, but that's what comes from messing with perfection.

Super Castlevania IV? It's... OK. I thought the music was pretty boring. I feel like too much of the game is designed around manipulating Simon's weird, OP whip that makes sub-items irrelevant and Mode 7 antics. And the art-style often made it hard for me to distinguish foreground from background, leading to a lot of accidental deaths.

For some reason, I'm not a huge fan of most of the SNES games I've played. SMW is probably my least favorite 2D Mario. Contra III is inferior to Contra, Super C, and Contra 4, IMO. I like Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission more than Super Metroid.

One of the exceptions is Zelda: ALttP is my second favorite 2D game in the series.

If I had to rank the Classicvanias:

Rondo of Blood > Bloodstained: CotM > Castlevania: Bloodlines > Castlevania (would be higher up without the steep difficulty spike near the end) > Super Castlevania IV > Castlevania III (while it's objectively better than the original in certain ways, it's WAY too difficult for me to really enjoy playing) > GB Castlevania games (Second one is the best, but they're all "Diet Castlevania" at best)

I'm not generally a huge fan of the Metroidvanias, although I really, really liked Order of Ecclesia. I'd rank it as one of my top three 'Vanias overall.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Huh, strange. The SNES has so much of my favorite games. Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid (I played it AFTER Fusion and Zero Mission, and even despite the floaty controls and bad button layouts I still loved it more), Mario World (that and NSMBU are my favorite 2D Marios), EarthBound, etc. I don't think I've had much problems with Super Castlevania IV either. Yeah, the whip is ridiculous, but what you can pull off in that game feels really good still.

But funnily enough, I'm lukewarm to Zelda in general so I didn't enjoy Link to the Past all that much. Then again, I only really enjoyed three Zelda games (Zelda II, OoT, and BotW) so that isn't saying much. It's most likely just down to my personal taste. I guess I'm a weirdo too lol.

Order of Ecclesia is my favorite Castlevania game period, then it's a tie between Symphony of the Night or Rondo of Blood. I switch around games on my personal list extremely frequently depending on my mood, but those three games are my top 3 for Castlevania.

Otherwise I'd move Bloodlines behind IV but before III, the original, and Belmont's Revenge.

They're all games I'd really love replaying over and over though, so just because I put Belmont's Revenge at the end doesn't mean I hate it, I just don't replay it as much as the other Castlevanias.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Ralizah

@EvilLucario The SNES has a lot of peoples' favorite games on it, so I'm pretty certain I'm in "unpopular opinion" territory here. Same as with my dislike of most of their N64 games.

The SNES controller is pretty cool, though. I've been using one of those 8bitdo ones to play Bloodstained, and it feels great playing it with a proper 2D pad. The build quality seems pretty good, too, as it looked and felt very similar to my real SNES controllers when I compared them.

Ralizah

EvilLucario

@Ralizah Ok N64 games I can understand as I don't care that much for that era anymore. N64/PS1 games in general have aged extremely poorly, so playing them now feels awful. SNES and even some NES games still feel really good to play though.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

ReaderRagfish

EvilLucario wrote:

N64 games I can understand as I don't care that much for that era anymore. N64/PS1 games in general have aged extremely poorly, so playing them now feels awful. SNES and even some NES games still feel really good to play though.

I've stated this a few different times, but I don't personally agree that N64 games have aged poorly. I played most of the big N64 games and the only one I have trouble going back to is F Zero X, and that's only because I liked GX so much better. Aside from the occasional low frame rate, these games are still perfectly good in my book.

PS1 I can sort of understand though, many of the games on it made heavy use of stuff like CGI backgrounds and FMV cutscenes to get around the fact that the hardware was weaker, which can make them feel a bit strange today. Few notable games released in later eras did stuff like that.

Still waiting for Atlus to make Snowboard Kids 3

Ralizah

@EvilLucario I actually really love the PS1 and its library: it's one of my all-time favorite systems. I just didn't like anything about the N64. I personally found OoT and Mario 64 to be boring. The PS1's library is filled with amazing JRPGs, action games, horror games, and hidden gems, whereas the N64 has a small lineup of decent first-party content and then a lot of trash (outside of Rare's games, some of which were pretty darned good on that system). The DualShock controller was a perfect iteration on the SNES controller's layout, whereas the N64 looks like it was designed to be used by an alien. PS1 games hold up a lot better visually thanks to, as @ReaderRagfish also points out, heavy use of pre-rendered backgrounds and gorgeous FMVs in many of its games, which helps to even out some of the hideous low-poly 3D models in early games from that generation.

It's pretty incredible to think that the Switch will be Nintendo's first "home console" since the SNES to receive good JRPG support.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

ReaderRagfish

@Ralizah I was referring more to how the PS1's reliance on the CGI backgrounds and FMV cutscenes made the games feel strange, even if it masked the low polygon count somewhat.

Playing the PS1 Final Fantasy games for example was a bit awkward for me since I often couldn't tell where I could go and where I couldn't as I moved my little Lego guy around the incredibly detailed backgrounds. VII at least let you push select to see where loading zones were, which was pretty helpful before it was brilliantly removed in VIII and IX.

I think the best looking PS1 game I played that was in true 3D was Speed Punks (Speed Freaks in Europe). That was such a fun game.

Grumblevolcano

There's a Wii U system update out now.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

A... Wii U system update? What? Why? The systems 100% hacked already anyways, and it's not like it's supported anymore.

link3710

Ralizah

@ReaderRagfish I'm aware. But, to me, those things are what help PS1 games not feel nearly as antiquated as they otherwise would. They were clever ways to mask the the shortcomings of 3D technology at the time.

Although it's worth pointing out that later PS1/N64 games could actually look decent. Conker's Bad Fur Day, for example, is gorgeous (for the hardware and the time it released), and looks more like a Dreamcast title. Amazing to think it was on the same system as hideous-looking titles like Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time.

Same with PS1 games. Compare the detailed character models in FFIX to the horrifying lego monsters in FFVII. Huge difference.

Although, again, at least there's nice-looking backdrops and FMVs in FFVII. Early N64 games had no similar crutches to lean on, and they're just irredeemably ugly nowadays.

It also doesn't help how OoT ran at, like, 20 fps. Funny to think the "greatest game of all time" would be considered unplayable today.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

ReaderRagfish

@Ralizah I guess that makes sense if graphics are extremely important to you. But despite the low polygon counts, Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time aren't really that bad looking thanks to their well designed art styles.

And even if you still disagree about that, it's at least clear that it hasn't compromised gameplay; these games could have been delayed until just now, given a new coat of paint, and still be competitive in the modern market. Compare this to games like FFVII and Resident Evil 2 whose remakes are basically throwing everything gameplay related out the window.

Ralizah

@ReaderRagfish Well, Nintendo has pretty much done just that with the handheld re-releases of those games. Although I think that Mario 64 would need a lot of TLC to make it good today: the levels are small and barren. The camera is one of the worst I've ever seen in a 3D game. The controls are overly sensitive. And so on.

Resident Evil 2 and FFVII certainly didn't need to change their gameplay styles to the degree they have. REmake plays brilliantly today, and its functionally pretty similar to the original gameplay-wise. And the changes to FFVII more reflect S-E's continuing desire to reinvent the wheel with Final Fantasy more than anything else. It would be relatively easy to give FFVII a newer coat of paint and call it a new game.

I would say the style of Mario 64, in particular, hurts more than helps it. It's easier to hide the blemishes in a dark game like Metal Gear Solid, but everything is brightly lit and primary-colored in Mario 64, so there's no hiding how primitive it looks.

Ralizah

darkfenrir

NEWEST TRAILER FOR TWEWY! I'm so hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype for this gaaaaaaame. I missed it so much XD

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

ReaderRagfish

@Ralizah Bashing Super Mario 64 on the internet, eh? You're bold, I'll give ya that. I dunno.

And while I personally don't mind them, I'm not sure how well Resident Evil's stiff tank controls and fixed camera angles would fly with today's gamers.

Grumblevolcano

The current XB1 situation is another reason why how the cloud saves work on Switch is important, concept of what happens when you can't access your cloud saves. With XB1 what happens is all games are pretty much unplayable, given Switch has handheld functionality I'd hope Switch's situation is better than that.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

DarthNocturnal

@Grumblevolcano

Uh, I'm pretty sure there are saves stored locally on the XB1 as well as in the cloud?

I know I've played games offline before, so I'm not sure where you're getting the “unplayable“ bit...

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal It tells you to try again or enter offline mode and if you choose offline mode the message to try again keeps reappearing.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

DarthNocturnal

@Grumblevolcano

That doesn't sound right... I even told my friend to switch to offline mode when something was hiccuping on XBL's end a week or two ago. I believe he was able to play just fine. Saves and all.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

PikPi

Been playing a whole bunch of Dead Cells on handheld mode. It's actually the most I've ever played on handheld mode and let me say that it is the most painful/uncomfortable way to play for extended periods of time. I love the -feel- of the buttons of the joycon, but playing that rectangle for long periods of time is a fast track to carpel tunnel for me.

On the other hand, Dead Cells is extremely addicting, and yet I've probably made very little progress in it overall.

PikPi

Ralizah

@MisterPi Get a handheld mode grip from Amazon or something. I did and I just... can't go back to playing it without one. It's just so much more comfortable in handheld mode with the grip attached.

@ReaderRagfish REmake HD was quite successful on modern home consoles/PC, and all they did with that was give it an alternative control method. The tank controls are still available, though, as are the fixed camera viewpoints.

It's also worth mentioning that the PS1 original, like SM64, was re-released with minimal core gameplay changes on the NDS. Actually, it was significantly less visually touched up than SM64 DS as well: presumably because the early PS1 aesthetic holds up better than early N64.

I don't mind what Capcom is doing with Resident Evil 2, though. It feels like they're trying to re-capture what made people love RE2 in the first place with modern game design, which is fine. They want it to be more of an original experience and less of one that just hearkens back to the original.

FF7... I don't know what S-E is going to do with that. If it ever comes out, I wouldn't be surprised if it barely resembles the original game. It's amazing how they've taken the most legendary JRPG series in history and slowly destroyed it through continual re-invention.

Edited on by Ralizah

Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic