Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 33,341 to 33,360 of 69,981

FragRed

@Grumblevolcano As much as I want to agree with you, I have this niggling doubt in my mind that the way Nintendo games have been this year, we should be expecting something to be missing. With Mario Aces it was lack of courts and the ability to not have a proper full match. In Super Mario Party it's the lack of proper online mode, only 4 boards which are all kinda small. As great as Nintendo games are, there is always they always mess it up in some way. With Super Smash Bros Ultimate, I am betting on the lack of a decent single player mode like everyone is expecting.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@FragRed If there is a big mess up, I see it more likely being online related. So like the return of the infamous slideshow online matches.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Octane That's definitely not true. Single player doesn't just refer to Story mode, or solo stuff when it comes to Smash. Things like Stadium, All-Star, Boss Battles and Event Matches all typically allow co-op play. I mean, even Subspace was entirely playable in co-op, and that was definitely aimed at casual fans, not the tournament style players the last couple directs were aimed at. Plus, Smash Tour and Smash Run were both aimed completely at casual players, though I don't expect either of those to return.

Stuff like the revealed Tournament mode, rule sets and Classic mode aren't really of interest to casuals, though Smashdown and Custom Smash both are of course.

link3710

kkslider5552000

Octane wrote:

The only people wanting a single player in Smash can probably all be found on this very site.

considering the massive amount of praise for Injustice's single player campaign, and the amount of love the very flawed Subspace Emissary got, this is blatantly not true.

Also, Smash Bros Melee is my most played game of all time, and it wouldn't have been if I didn't love the single player content it had.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

NEStalgia

@FragRed Poor, innocent FragRed..... you still don't get the Nintendo hidden cost game? Tsk.

Of course the Mini will be compatible with all those games! Joycons required, sold separately. Docking cable required sold separately. See? Now you have a $400 Switch with all the parts instead of a $300 Switch, all with a $200 starting point. The Wii was easily the most expensive console of the 7th gen. They just buried the cost in essential add-ons The end game is getting a cheaper, but clearly inferior, SKU on shelves to get people to gobble them up for kids. Not *actually *selling cheaper everything. But like a WiiU didn't come with Wiimotes but needed them for Nintendo Land and wanted them for Pikmin 3, it'll still be compatible with them and mandatory for certain games Plus with an integrated controller, when the stick module wears out, you buy a whole new console! Win-Win (if you're not the customer )

NEStalgia

Octane

@kkslider5552000 I wasn't talking about absolute numbers. But the people that buy Smash because they've seen it in an ad on TV? They don't care about single player; they go straight to multiplayer, and they probably don't even touch the game solo. Me and my friends play Smash from time to time, most of them aren't avid gamers, they like Smash, but they couldn't care less about a single player mode.

Octane

kkslider5552000

You'd be surprised. People actually played Mario Party single player, so of course they do Smash Bros.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Haruki_NLI

Just remember Smash isnt as big as you think it is.

And also remember Animal Crossing is much bigger than you think it is.

One of those is true. The other is mockery.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Alantor28

While the Wii U is a fun system, it sadly is a failure and didn't meet expectations because it wasn't marketed well. So I have to side with the Switch because not only it is fun to play, but it succeeded what the Wii U failed to do. And I think the Wii U vs Switch discussions are pointless and silly. People should agree not to argue about things like this. The Switch is a great system and has succeeded what the Wii U failed to do. So let's not start any silly Switch vs Wii U arguments, please?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698
PSN: MMX20

Switch Friend Code: SW-6488-5483-0698

gcunit

^O... kaaay then....

A few eshop offers this week skirting right around my 'tempted' line - Lovers in A Dangerous Space Time, Escapists 2, Overcooked. Will I be able to resist? I'd have got one already had I not ordered a physical copy of Blazblue yesterday.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Haruki_NLI

I already bought Undertale, Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, Rayman Legends and Mega Man 11....twice. I can wait.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

IceClimbers

Overcooked is definitely tempting. A couple of those sales are actually. On the flip side, that same money could be put towards something on Black Friday. Hoping for Crash and Wolfenstein in particular.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

JaxonH

I agree with NES. Budget Switch for Pokémon is the smart play. They know they need to appeal to hard-core gamers but more than that they need to appeal to all these 3DS owners. They will get far more mileage selling to the 10-15 million Pokémon fans who bought a 3DS with a $199 model than they will selling to the fickle hardcore gamers with a $400 Switch that still doesn't offer all the 3rd party games of other systems and still barely matches an X1 on the TV. There will definitely be gamers who appreciate it (as they should- a portable system with that kind of power is mind-blowingly awesome) but it's a much harder sell trying to sway diehard core gamers who care about graphics and FPS (and as such are usually the loyalists who adhere to only one brand of console anyways).

As for Smash, there are going to be TONS of people buying a console for that game. It reaches father than just core Nintendo fans, it reaches the semi core and casual gamers. The ones that didn't go out and buy a Switch year one. That game and Pokémon are going to move serious units. I went up to Minneapolis for training a few years back, and in the seminar/course which only had 8 people in the room, 2 of them told me they bought a Wii U just for Smash. They didn't know what Bayonetta 2 was, or Xenoblade X, or Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. But they knew Smash. The game has a spanning reach, judging by my experience.

And single player matters. Lack of single player in Street fighter V is what killed the game when it launched. Capcom thought all they had to do was provide good online multiplayer. Capcom thought that's all the majority of people cared about. And boy... was Capcom wrong. A mistake they won't be repeating, I can assure you. Single player matters. Even to people who play online, it matters. Especially on a portable console. Yes, the multiplayer will matter more, but lack of solid single player content can slightly hinder, or downright cripple a game, depending on how bad the situation is perceived.

I'm guessing Frag would be right if we were just making a statistically based prediction... but the Spirits mode leaked seems to be single player. And it was green. All green modes have been single player historically. So in this case I actually think it will be a robust game, but I wouldn't fault anyone for guessing otherwise based on the precedent set by Nintendo

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

link3710

@JaxonH Smash Run and Smash Tour were both green modes. Though I do think this one will be single player compatible, neither of those two were.

link3710

Octane

Budget Switch would've made more sense for Pokemon Let's GO I think. Anyway, how do you guys picture a ''budget'' Switch? Fixed Joy-Con means it cannot play all the games like Mario Party. Smaller system also means smaller battery, and the Joy-Con won't fit on the sides. I don't think a new Joy-Con design is an option. Bigger and bulkier would probably be cheaper, but I'm not sure that's what you want for young children.

Octane

Therad

Octane wrote:

Budget Switch would've made more sense for Pokemon Let's GO I think. Anyway, how do you guys picture a ''budget'' Switch? Fixed Joy-Con means it cannot play all the games like Mario Party. Smaller system also means smaller battery, and the Joy-Con won't fit on the sides. I don't think a new Joy-Con design is an option. Bigger and bulkier would probably be cheaper, but I'm not sure that's what you want for young children.

If you have children you either want something so cheap that you don't care if it breaks or you want it to be able to take a beating. So bigger and bulkier can be better in that regard.

A version with fixed joy cons would be both cheaper to make and more resilient. You would still be able to buy joy cons to connect to it for games requiring joy cons (= more money to Nintendo).

Another way to make a cheaper and more resilient version is to make it non-switching.

A third way is to make a pro and lower the price of the current model. It would be almost 3 years in late 2019, so it shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

Therad

gcunit

My hunch is they'll just reduce the price of the original SKU and maybe release a suped up SKU at the original rrp. I don't think they'll want to sacrifice the core Switch features, which are the switching and the split joy cons. Not unless they can produce a simplified device that also has BC with the 3/DS line. If they want to sell it more to kids they need more of that kind of software, and there's a bunch of ready-made stuff there to sell to young SwitchDS users.

toiletduck

kkslider5552000 wrote:

You'd be surprised. People actually played Mario Party single player, so of course they do Smash Bros.

I’m definitely not going to buy Smash if doesn’t have any single player value to offer, even though I know it’s a multiplayer game. For local multiplayer I already have MK8 and Mario Party and I won’t come around to playing those often. Besides that, I am not that into online multiplayer and I already have Splatoon for that. Of course, all of those are different games, but still. I know I’m in a minority here with this opinion, but I’m sure I am not the only one thinking like this.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

gcunit

I am

I was playing FIFA last night, scored a great goal to go 2-0 up in the first league game of a new season and was just trying to upload footage of it to Twitter when my battery exhausted.

I plugged it in this morning to charge so that I could make some more nice replays of the coal and finish the game, but it's not waking up properly. Just a black screen. The Home button and power button are working, but the OS seems to have crashed. I can't get the Home page up or get back into FIFA. So I guess I'm going to have to reboot and lose that goal and game. I did capture a couple of replays of it, but I wanted to fawn over it from every angle and enjoy the rest of that match.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic