Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 32,221 to 32,240 of 70,008

Octane

@ReaderRagfish I mean, there are plenty of people on these forums that own more than 50 games per console, hence the ''relatively small''. I don't think I buy more than 40, maybe if you include digital games, and I don't see myself as a huge collector, nor do I play video games every single day.

@GrailUK Well, I never disagreed with your point. Though we've seen price hikes for the other subs, and people are already demanding ''more than just NES games''. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's $30 with SNES games a year or two from now, or maybe $40 and N64 games too, etc. That's why I'm in favour of splitting the service in offering the features separately. Instead of $60 a year, why not $5 for the online, if they really want to charge for a couple of P2P games, $40 for the monthly games, $10 for the discounts, and $5 for the cloud saves or something like that.

Octane

Octane

@ReaderRagfish I know, but that goes to show that for every gamer with a huge collection, there are dozens of gamers who only own a handful of games.

Octane

FaeKnight

Then again, those of us who do visit the official forums for a console also are likely the ones spending far too much money on games every year for said consoles.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

GrailUK

@FaeKnight I can certainly attest to that sentiment! lol.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

FaeKnight

@darkswabber And people voted with their wallets to support that move yet again. Which Nintendo obviously took note of. I bet if nobody subscribed to PSN+ in protest of it turning into a paid service, that idea would have been scrapped. Just as if people had refused to pay Microsoft for the privilege of online multiplayer, the idea of charging for it would have been scrapped.

EDIT: By now paid online multiplayer on consoles is an industry standard. And it became that way because the public allowed it to happen. Kind of too late now. Especially since there's no way you'll be able to convince everyone (even those who never heard of this forum) to not pay for Nintendo Online. I'll do so for access to the NES (and hopefully SNES) games, with online multiplayer being a perk to me. Others will pay for multiplayer, with the games being a perk.

Edited on by FaeKnight

FaeKnight

JaxonH

There wasn't really any backlash when Sony added a paywall to online.

Everyone was in "butterflies and puppies" land due to Sony saying games could be shared. And they basically got a free pass as a result. Anyone speaking out against it was immediately shut down by the masses of Sony gamers.

And I was ticked off, too. Cause $50-60 x 8 year generations is $400-500 just to play online. Im not nearly as ticked off with Switch because, well, its only $20/yr, which even for an 8-year lifespan is $150 range, and by this point it's already standardized across the industry. It was unavoidable.

Idk. Still not happy about it but, if it means cloud saves for most my games, I'll tolerate it.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@JaxonH I don't think you remember the backlash when Sony announced it. Sure, there were people saying they didn't mind it because they were already paying for Xbox Live, or they believed the online infrastructure would be improved or something like that, but I can assure you many were not happy with it.

Octane

JaxonH

@Octane
Of course there were people not happy (like me) but the overwhelming majority were basically telling those people to get bent.

edit
I think most people were willing to turn a blind eye in light of the fact we came extremely close to an online only future. Had Sony followed suit, we'd have had zero recourse. And credit for that should be given, even if their motives were purely selfish to capitalize off MS. The sad part is, paid online was snuck in on that Trojan Horse of offline game sharing. And that moment right there changed everything. That's when paid online became standardized.

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Octane

@JaxonH Maybe, I'm not sure what corners of the internet you were visiting back then

You are right that the "good news" of sharing games, no mandatory Kinect, etc. softened the impact of the news.

Octane

-Green-

I wish I could go back in time and see how people reacted to the reveal of the Xboxone and ps4. I only heard about one when the Dead Rising commercial came out.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

Grumblevolcano

Well yeah, the errors made by Microsoft did soften the negativity of PS4's problems but negativity did still exist. There isn't anything to soften the negativity this time.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

EvilLucario

@ReaderRagfish Honestly this generation was absolute garbage until 2016. The period from 2013 to 2016 was when I really fell out of a lot of console gaming to stick with MMOs and my 3DS. Everyone sucked for the most part until they tried to turn things around at that point.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

-Green-

I can't wait until next generation. I wanna see how people spin it and the new iteration of fanboys.

Edited on by -Green-

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

link3710

@Tsurii Oh man, that's pretty true. I mean, I enjoyed Bethesda's presentation, but it wasn't great. All the rest of them didn't hold a candle to Microsoft's though, with both Nintendo and Sony dropping the ball in particular in different ways.

link3710

Haruki_NLI

The problem with the Xbox Conference is that was all stuff that is definitely coming to Xbox...but its not going to get people to buy an Xbox.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

FragRed

@Knuckles-Fajita I think Microsoft is fine with the knowledge they aren't going to get people to buy an Xbox this generation, or to the point they will catch up with Sony. That's why they deliberately talked about purchasing 4 development studios, setting up a fifth studio and making sure everyone knew that they are hard at work on the next generation consoles. Microsoft are gearing people up for the next generation and that is not a bad thing to be doing.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Haruki_NLI

And that is fine...but the ramifications of that are only hopeful and a few years out. The actual tangible gaming products they had to show...were either a long way off and nebulous like HALO and Gears (All 3 of them), studio acquisitions that again, the results will be a long ways off or just straight up buying studios who already work exclusively with them anyway so what changes exactly? And the other stuff? All on other systems so...

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

FaeKnight

Weren't they billing the XB1 as the last step in the console's development tree because after this it would just be hardware tweaks and improvements? (such as the X and S models)

Or am I remembering things wrong?

FaeKnight

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic