Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 32,241 to 32,260 of 69,962

RR529

Just started Shining Resonance Refrain

World design isn't as ambitious as Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or Ys VIII, but it still looks really nice and is a boon in the sense that, as of yet, the visuals have been really crisp in portable mode, with solid performance.

Seems like it's gonna be pretty standard fare in terms of gameplay & story, but I must admit the character design is great, IMO (and no, I'm not just talking about the fanservicy designs). Oh, and there's just something so satisfying about ripping through foes as a dragon.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

FragRed

@Knuckles-Fajita That kinds sounds like how Sony has typically been doing things - showing games that are a long way away or are also on other platforms. The thing is, because Phil Spencer's predecessor did such a crap job at running things, it's taken this long to get the Xbox brand into a position where they can finally move forward and build up it's first party exclusives etc.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

EvilLucario

E3 2018 as a whole was very meh and crappy. Microsoft was nothing but multiplatforms and "exclusives" (Microsoft exclusives, sure, but still can be played on my PC), Sony had their stupid as hell venues and boring conferences, Nintendo focused on Smash a lot (I loved it but it seems even fans of Smash thought it was much), EA is EA, Ubisoft sucked too, Square Enix was flat-out pointless, and Bethesda was ok but nothing too big.

Come to think of it, E3 2017 sucked too. Microsoft were dancing around the Xbox One X, Sony pulled E3 2016 again and had a boring, rushed conference, Nintendo barely showed anything new, and everyone else was also meh to bad.

E3 as a whole shouldn't be getting even a quarter of hype that it gets anymore. It's why I'm happy that Nintendo Directs are the main way to show stuff off. Why else do you think Sony and Microsoft followed suit with PSX and Inside Xbox? Because as behind as Nintendo sometimes is (online lol), at other times they can be way ahead of the curve, like with their treatment of E3 and designing the Switch hardware.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

rallydefault

@EvilLucario
Agreed. Next E3 will be interesting if only to see what/if Sony and Microsoft are gonna do with their next consoles.

rallydefault

FragRed

@rallydefault From a hardware point of view, if it releases next year then there will be events prior to E3 much like what happened when revealing the current generation of Xbox and PlayStation and E3 itself will be, hopefully, fully focused on launch games. Though I am expecting them to do this during 2020 with a November that year release.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

FaeKnight

Nintendo has been long known for taking weird risks and innovating. Granted, those weird risks don't always pan out. Virtual Boy for example failed, and failed hard. As did the Power Glove. Choosing to continue using cartridges despite the new industry standard being cd disks due to having more storage space was another time they messed up. Nintendo believed that cd disks were just a 'fad' and that cartridges were the future of console gaming. And to be fair, with the Switch that belief has been justified due to technology catching up to intentions.

But when Nintendo gets it right, they knock it out of the ballpark. The Switch it's self is a fantastic system that has me more excited then any home console has since I was a kid first playing Atari games at a friend's house. Is the Online service going to be one of their missteps? Eh, probably not. It'll probably go down in gaming history as just another paid online service, one among many. In a year or two few people will even remember the hoopla being raised over it right now.

I am, naturally, curious what Nintendo will do next. Nintendo does tend to Go Big or fall flat on their metaphorical face.

FaeKnight

Switch Friend Code: SW-6813-5901-0801 | Twitter:

JaxonH

I don't think "but it's also on PC" is a valid reason to dismiss Xbox exclusives.

For one, not everyone games on PC. For two, PC gaming is kind of a separate entity from console gaming, and when we talk about exclusives, usually PC is excluded. Most of the time when people say "but it's on PC, thus it's not exclusive, thus it's not an asset to console XYZ" it's just an excuse to de-legitimize a game that can't be played on any other console, and a lot of times the people saying that don't even game on PC or have one powerful enough to run the game properly anyways.

For three, every game is an asset to a given console, exclusive or otherwise. Being console exclusive is a huge boon to have. Because if you are a console gamer (as in, you play on consoles and don't care that home computers can play games, because you like the plug and play aspect of consoles, and you don't want to deal with borderless windows and fixes and black screens and resolution issues and incompatible settings and whether a game can run properly, etc) that's the only place you're going to be able to play the game.

I thought Microsoft 2018 e3 was one of the best I've ever seen. One for the history books. And I thought Nintendo 2017 was one of the best Nintendo e3's I've ever seen. Maybe not the best overall but certainly one of the best that Nintendo has ever put forward. And Sony had a decent e3 both years.

Idk, i'm just not sure what people are expecting nowadays. Sometimes I think people expect to see an entire generation's worth of games announced all in the span of 40 minutes, and anything less is failure. I expect a couple brand new game announcements, and some new trailers and info for announced games that still hold a shroud of mystery.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

-Green-

Wasn’t Sony’s conference the one with the 30 minute pause in between games?

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

link3710

@JaxonH I mean, the main reason PC exclusives for XBox don't matter for me personally is that I do in fact have a gaming PC. So when I'm trying to decide between trying to get a PS4 or XB1 for cheap as the generation is winding down, XB1 just has absolutely no pull. I'm honestly expecting the XB2 or whatever it's called to blow the PS5 out of the water, but right now...? There's no reason for me to have both a PC and and XB1. I don't know if that'll change next generation or not, but... yeah.

link3710

link3710

@-Green- Yeah, the 2018 conference is going to go down as infamous for Sony. At least Ubisoft's was fun, between the crazy dancers and bringing out a full band to play Kirkhope tunes. Sony's just pissed off EVERYONE who watched with that stunt.

link3710

Octane

@-Green- It was a 13-minute break in a conference that lasted one hour and 15 minutes, and they had some trailers of Destiny and COD iirc. I don't care about any of that, and I dislike Sid Shuman with a passion, but it wasn't as bad as some make it out to be. Very poor pacing for that particular moment, but it was only a small portion of the conference. Just don't do it again.

As for E3 conferences, I fondly remember Ninty's 2014 Direct. That had everything, from Yoshi, Kirby and Captain Toad, to the BOTW reveal, Splatoon, Smash Bros., trailers for games like Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X and Hyrule Warriors, and even the Star Fox tease that was enough to get a lot of people excited (until the game happened ).

Octane

Grumblevolcano

Well as far as we can tell, Nintendo really didn't have anything else to show that would've fitted with their less than 9 months away strategy. Apart from Labo Toy-Con 03 and some DLC news like Elma for XC2 and Splatoon content (of which they already shared other XC2 and Splatoon 2 news at E3), all the reveals since the end of E3 have been 3rd party releases that if announced at E3 would've gotten the same time allocated as games like DB FighterZ. Civilization VI may sound like huge news but it would've just got a few seconds thrown in the highlight reel.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Cobalt

@subpopz we are a lot in that case, you can trust me on that... :/

Cobalt

EvilLucario

@subpopz That's partly why I also don't like Sony's conferences personally. They announce games way too early, jerking us around for 2+ years. Horizon Zero Dawn, Detroit: Become Human, God of War 2018, The Last Guardian, and ****ing Death Stranding is going to get 50 bajillion trailers before it comes out in the year 20XX.

Nintendo wasn't much better with jerking over people with BotW and now Bayonetta 3 and Prime 4, but overall they're sticking to nearby releases. Some slip through the cracks like Fire Emblem and Yoshi, but they're good with a lot of release dates for their games tbh.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

JaxonH

@link3710
I know what I said doesnt apply for everyone, but it's pretty common for people to dismiss them wholesale, as if just because the games may not appeal to them due to being on PC, that means they have no appeal on the wider market.

I have a PC also, but I still prefer X1X to Steam. Not only because the games look about as good as I could ever want (4K 30fps or 1080p 60fps upscaled by my TV to 4K, sometimes full 4K 60fps like Wolfenstein 2), but they come with the advantage of console easy access. Quick boot, quick launch, none of the PC issues...

But ya, there's a lot of people who dont game on PC, or even if they do theyd still prefer console gaming if given a choice, which X1 provides.

I pretty much stick to PC exclusives and Steam games that can run on my GPD Win 2. Anything else Id rather play on X1, PS4 or Switch. And I know for some, PC is their preferred platform, and I'm betting Xbox doesn't have much appeal for that demographic, but for everyone else, it's a solid system.

It's greatest weakness is simply not being a PS4, which has SO many more games not on Xbox (and in fact, even Switch is starting to get a lot of these games that come to PS4 and not X1). But X1X is the best power console on the market, has all the multiplats and a fair selection of exclusives, and BC for OG Xbox and 360. Its kind of a one stop shop.

I mean, Id still pick PS4 over X1 any day just because of the massive lineup of games not on X1, but... it depends what you're looking for. X1X is by far the best hardware to play multiplats on, and with full BC of every generation prior with 4K, and a small but respectable list of exclusives, I think it's a decent proposition, depending on what a person is looking for.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

@link3710
For me the fact that XBOne is basically just an extension of the Microsoft store is part of what makes it the more appealing option. If I was to get a PS4/XBOne it'd probably be the XBOne because games I could play games brought digitally for it on my PC. The XBOne S also has UHD BluRay playback.

.... but TBH if I was to get another machine for under my TV for gaming it'd probably be a PC. What I'd likely do is build something that could do 4K with the games I already own on Steam. Much cheaper than having to build a library of games again.

Either way, you're right. Neither of these consoles are that appealing if you have a PC already.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Qwertyninty

Is the fifa demo coming to switch also?

Qwertyninty

JaxonH

@subpopz
Its absolutely not a valid reason.

Just because you have a PC doesn't mean the games have no appeal to anyone else in the world. Not everyone has a PC or games on PC or prefers PC even if they do. So dismissing it outright saying there's no reason to buy X1, just because you personally have a PC and game on it and prefer it, is illogical.

edit
But lets make sure we're clear. Im not saying you personally can't say its a reason for yourself. Of course you can. But you can't apply it as a reason wholesale, dismissing it entirely for everyone just because of your own situation, because as I said, not everyone has a PC, not everyone that has one games one it, and not everyone that games on it prefers it.

Edited on by JaxonH

Octane

It's a glass is half full/empty thing. Either you look at it from a point of view where every game is a selling point for a console, and that especially applies to someone who doesn't own a console/PC at all and is looking to buy one. Or you're mainly looking at exclusives, and that's more true for people who own all three consoles and have a good gaming PC. In the latter case I can see why Xbox One is kinda redundant. It's a personal thing, it depends on what you own and what you're looking for.

Octane

GrailUK

I think a very important distinction between console and pc gaming is the culture surrounding it. A console lives in a living room, under a TV. You tend to play it on the couch and it has a much more social connotation to it. PC gaming you play in the corner of a dark room, face up to a monitor (or two), on a hard table and a chair while you get myopia and need glasses. (Ok, I am painting with a very large brush but I fear this is the general accepted perception from most folk you would ask on a street!) And so, you can convince folk all you want that it's the best version of a game, but unless they are obsessed with video games, PC gaming is just unappealing to them.
Xbox isn't reduntant for Microsoft, because it lets them target a different audience for their live services.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic