Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 28,921 to 28,940 of 38,969

Spoony_Tech

As nice as it is for South Park to be at 9 that still might not even be 10k worth of sales. It would have to stay there for months to help any at all.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Therad

JaxonH wrote:

I had no issue with the control scheme. In fact it felt very natural using R to grab barrels and X to roll. Otherwise you'd be alternating between X and B to roll and grab a barrel.

DKC is a game you have to play through to really appreciate. It's a game like MH. People's initial reactions are always "it feels weird" then once they're into the game they're like "It's amazing, it feels perfect". It takes a bit to adjust to something you're not used to, and DKC variable momentum and anticipation with regard to movements take some getting used to.

And the first world is easily, easily the least interesting in the game. Not to say it's bad, it's just... vanilla in comparison to the rest of the game.

It's truly a game that's impossible to judge in 5 minutes, or in a few stages. The longer you play, the better you get, the more worlds you see, the more you realize just how amazing it really is. By the time you finish the game, get all the KONG letters and have stretched your platforming skills, unlocked the K levels and beaten them, by the time you run a few gold medal time trial runs...

By that point you're just like holy crap, this is the best gosh dang platformer I ever played.

I finished world 4... And here is where we differ in opinion. If a game hasn't captured your interest after half the game, it is just a time waster at that point. A game shouldn't be all end game, the journey to the end should feel meaningful. Otherwise they could as well unlock everything at once.

And your point that the first level is vanilla, that is also a flaw. A game should capture you from the start or at least make it interesting.

I would have put grabbing/throw/run/climb on X and pound/roll on Y. They are basically exclusive, no need to put one of them on RT/LT. It would have been better if the duplicated buttons was X/RT and Y/LT instead of X/Y and LT/RT. I would still have jump on A/B.

It actually feels like they just looked at DKCr, just double the buttons and slapped the shaking on the triggers.

And all of those achievements I did in DKCr, but tropical freeze fell flat for me.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

JaxonH

@Therad
But see, I never said it took half the game to capture my attention, nor did I say the first level wasn't good.

Game had me utterly captivated from the first stage.

BUT.

By the time I'd beaten the game, experienced the whole game, it changed from "best platformer of the year" to "greatest of all time".

First stage is excellent and still better than any Mario or Rayman game to date. But the subsequent worlds are exponentially more beautiful, exciting and difficult.

Tropical Freeze is superior to Returns in every single aspect. It didn't set the bar, it is the bar. If you liked shaking the controller to roll... don't know what to say. Guess play something else then.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Tales of Vesperia, NSMBU, No More Heroes, Diablo 3, Dark Souls
Wii U: Fire Emblem 7 [GBA]
X1: Red Dead Redemption 2
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3DS/PS4/PSVR/Vita/PC/Rift: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Therad

JaxonH wrote:

@Therad
But see, I never said it took half the game to capture my attention, nor did I say the first level wasn't good.

No, but I was talking about myself. And it didn't really captivate me. And it helps if the first level actually shows off something new.

JaxonH wrote:

Game had me utterly captivated from the first stage.

BUT.

By the time I'd beaten the game, experienced the whole game, it changed from "best platformer of the year" to "greatest of all time".

Well, that is your opinion. Personally, I don't think it moved the genre forward, or even DK platformers.

JaxonH wrote:

First stage is excellent and still better than any Mario or Rayman game to date. But the subsequent worlds are exponentially more beautiful, exciting and difficult.

Well, I respectfully disagree. The first level is quite on par for 2d platformers. I.e. learning the ropes.

They also usually set the tone of the game, both mechanically and thematically. I think they missed the mark here, especially with mechanics since nothing new was introduced.

JaxonH wrote:

Tropical Freeze is superior to Returns in every single aspect. It didn't set the bar, it is the bar. If you liked shaking the controller to roll... don't know what to say. Guess play something else then.

That is your opinion. And I explicitly said I wanted button mappings, not shaking the controller. I would rather have https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Donkey_Kong_Country/Controls as mappings.

Therad

Grumblevolcano

There is 1 thing Returns did better than Tropical Freeze and that's game length (namely the 3DS port). Tropical Freeze is a bit short, fantastic game but either the special world should've been longer or there should've been another world or 2 somewhere before world 6.

But hey, one of the 2018 games I'm most looking forward to will probably take like 1000 hours to fully complete because there's such an insane amount of content (Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NEStalgia

@Spoony_Tech Maybe but it's ranking, temporarily, above a lot of heavy hitting (older) titles that sell pretty well, so I suspect it's doing notably better than that. It's good to see it picking up. But we'd have to see what retail did at the end of the month to really know what's up.

NEStalgia

PikPi

Can't believe it's also almost time for Hyrule Warriors. Still bummed about dark souls though

PikPi

SuperJoon

I never played Hyrule Warriors on Wii U, so this is one I am excited for

NNID: SuperJoon | PSN: KingJoonToon

Nintendo Network ID: Superjoon | Twitter:

RR529

US eShop rankings (May 2, 2018)

15. Robonauts
14. Celeste
13. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
12. Super Mario Odyssey
11. Splatoon 2
10. Kirby: Star Allies
9. the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
8. South Park: the Fractured but Whole
7. Overcooked: Special Edition
6. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
5. Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
4. VS Super Mario Bros
3. Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Trilogy
2. Rocket League
1. Stardew Valley

South Park & Naruto both continue to climb, but we'll see how long they can hold out with DK & Hyrule Warriors releasing soon.

Blog: https://rrblogweb.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hitman GO

Recently Beat: Castle of Illussion: Starring Mickey Mouse, Lara Croft GO, Front Mission Evolved

link3710

South Park will hopefully see a boost if they can get that patch out quickly enough. I know I'm waiting to hear it works before picking up my copy.

link3710

IceClimbers

Not sure about South Park, but I reckon that Naruto will stay in the chart for a while due to being digital only

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

TheTetrisGuy

@RR529 I’m curious if DK:TF will even hit the charts to be honest. The general consensus seems to be “Yeah it’s cool, but I’ll wait for a price drop”. Of course, I’m very likely wrong about that, given how it’s a first party Nintendo game, and Donkey Kong at that, but that’s just my two cents.

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

Dogorilla

@TheTetrisGuy I think that was the general consensus with Kirby Star Allies too, but it was at the top of the eShop charts (at least in the UK) for several weeks. The physical version of DK:TF is currently at #2 on Amazon UK's bestselling video games chart, so I'm sure it will do well digitally too.

Currently Playing: Pokémon Let's Go Eevee (Switch), Luigi's Mansion (3DS), Earthbound (SNES Classic), New Super Mario Bros U (Wii U)

EvilLucario

Also, 1-2 Switch sold over 2m copies. Reddit/Nintendo Life/other gaming places are filled with "knowledgeable" people so they know more than your average consumer. You think we are the majority of people buying games?

I guarantee you, Tropical Freeze on Switch will outsell the Wii U version, even at its higher base price.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Therad

Yeah, it will definitely outsell the Wii u version. The question is how long it will take. Six months? Eight?

Therad

JaxonH

@TheTetrisGuy
DKC is #2 on the Amazon Best Sellers list. It's the #1 selling game on Amazon, even above games like God of War, and has been for some time, and that's just on preorder sales.

I think the consensus is frothing at the mouth for a game that has had years for word of mouth to spread about how amazing it is. General consensus among angry Wii U owners might be another story, but this game is clearly in very steep demand.

@Grumblevolcano
Tropical Freeze may have had less levels, but the levels it did have were nearly twice as long. 10 minute levels on average, usually broken into 4 sections with 3 checkpoints and the final barrel. So it actually had more platforming content than Returns. And even then, only had a dozen less levels than standard 2D Mario games, despite levels being 2-3x longer.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Tales of Vesperia, NSMBU, No More Heroes, Diablo 3, Dark Souls
Wii U: Fire Emblem 7 [GBA]
X1: Red Dead Redemption 2
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3DS/PS4/PSVR/Vita/PC/Rift: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

EvilLucario

As a Wii U owner, I'd say bring on the ports. I put in 500 hours into Xenoblade X and I'd do it again.

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

-Green-

You know, I really hope that Bomb Chicken game comes out soon. It's easily one of the most adorable and fun-lookin games I've seen in a while.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

alexis9000

guys plenty much much THANK YOU for your previous answers about my possible buy of Nintendo Switch, I did not expect so many replies so I kinda came late to this post.

Anyway, since it is harder to answer one by one, I think I'll try to answer in general.
I don't have one favourite genre of games (uups, I lied, ehehe), and honestly (and now telling the truth) I don't think I get too influenced. It is true I prefer RPG's and Platforms, however it doesn't mean I don't play the other styles, sometimes.

Well, I'll give you some examples of some games I might buy when I have the switch:
Super Mario Odyssey (this one is inevitable, I guess)
Fifa (maybe?)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (also inevitable)
Zelda (maybe?)

For now those were 4 games that called me kind of some attention. But in the future I heared Pokémon and Super Smash Bros would be released, if that is true, those 2 games will be bought for sure.

Anyway, I still I have to wait for the money of my work to come, tough, ehehe.

alexis9000

Knuckles-Fajita

Steam is adding Nintendo Switch Pro Controller support, complete with gyro.

Nice.

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic