Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 28,921 to 28,940 of 42,578

Grumblevolcano

@StuTwo I'm not sure regarding the Zelda remasters, Nintendo may want people to see that franchise as open world and as a result only release non-BotW style games for systems that can't handle open world games (e.g. 3DS, mobile).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Zuljaras

@Anti-Matter Just for you. I hope you are aware that your opinion is NOT global opinion and most other people do NOT think like that.

Zuljaras

Anti-Matter

@Zuljaras
Long time no see you.
I found there were some users here prefer some lower classes games than typical AAA games.
I was't the only one.

My Top 6 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4/Switch (95)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 + All contents (93)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90)
6. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo 3DS (89)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

Zuljaras

@Anti-Matter I know but the majority of users prefer either only AAA games or a healthy mix between AAA and indies.

Zuljaras

Therad

AAA is such an overused term. It is an highly subjective term, the meaning is different for different people.

Or do you have an objective way of quantify an AAA title?

Therad

darkfenrir

I don't mind AA or indie titles, but I prefer having them all thank you.

Healthy mix is better than heavily one side

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

Anti-Matter

Therad wrote:

AAA is such an overused term. It is an highly subjective term, the meaning is different for different people.

Or do you have an objective way of quantify an AAA title?

AAA or not, i don't care.
It just only a Label Tag.
People categorized games by game budget factor, gaming presentation and graphics factor.
Peoples said Zelda BOTW was an AAA from Nintendo, GOTY with 97 score by Metacritic, but i found it was a different story for me.
Even i owned Zelda BOTW, but i found the game was pretty difficult for me as a Newbie of Zelda games. I gave it 7 / 10 due to Difficulty level in the game. Not really engaged with the game but i still see a potential from that game.

Instead, i found another games that easier, enjoyable, really addicting and it was Not AAA games.
In this case, i found Portal Knights on Switch was the Best choice for me. And later, Portal Knights will got a Massive Updates and i could give 9 / 10 score.

My Top 6 games :

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608 | 3DS Friend Code: 2638-4872-0879 | Nintendo Network ID: TAGunderground

1UP_MARIO

@Anti-Matter your comparing zelda BOTW with portal knights. They are totally different games

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5229-5058-9308

Anti-Matter

@1UP_MARIO
Well...
Both of them have some similarity.
The Hearts icon on the Upper Left, Action RPG, Hunting foes, Durability on each Weapons, Solo hunting games.
Although they are still completely different games.

My Top 6 games :

skywake

StuTwo wrote:

I think - to speculate a little - that the switch to this model also confirms what some of us have been saying for a while: VC was never as profitable as some people “in the bubble” assume it was.

I'm still not convinced. Classic games packaged like this were and still are almost entirely profit. I would wager that they would have made more money from these classic games if they had returned to the VC as it was. But there's more to this decision than just the money to be had from the games themselves. It means that, going forward, they can't as easily be critisised for selling you Super Mario Bros for the 100th time. It means they have a carrot for their online subscription. And it also means that consumers, even the most Nintendo obsessed, are more likely to give some of these games a go.

Not every decision is as black and white as which one directly makes more money.

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, TFS
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JaxonH

Ya, VC was clearly profitable. At least for the titles that aren't super niche.

But there's an indirect cost involving a whole host of other factors. Some of which have been listed above. Others which might include replacing sales of other games, particularly those from smaller 3rd party titles, which impacts the market on the supply side to the consumer when less games come, which can ultimately affect reputation, hardware sales, and that in turn affects software sales.

It's always about money at the end of the day, but not always so cut and dry.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy X, Team Sonic Racing, Assassin’s Creed 3, Darksiders
PS4 / PSVR / Vita / X1 / PC / Rift / GPDwin2 / Wii U / 3DS: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

StuTwo

@skywake I’m sure you’re right - it probably wasn’t a simple decision taken purely on the basis of expected profit margins.

I think it’s clear though that some games (largely 1st party ones) were very vey profitable on VC and others were much less so. If your game falls into that category (which is the overwhelming majority) then the question is “is it worth finding out if we even own all of the rights to this game and putting it through Nintendo’s approval process when we only stand to make a few thousand pounds?”.

Even from Nintendo’s own 1st party stuff historically important but terrible games like Soccer, Baseball and Urban Champion can’t have been really worth putting out but the new service gives them a place where they can be accessed and played without the barrier of payment that’s specifically for them.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

StuTwo

Also - I’m calling it now: ironic Urban Champion online competitions to be a popular pastime by the end of the year.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Grumblevolcano

I finished Tropical Freeze (only have the extras left of collecting all puzzle pieces, hard mode and time trials) in time for next week's Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition. Impressed by how much better it runs than the Wii U version, even handheld mode is more stable than the Wii U version.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

NaviAndMii

I'm beginning to suspect that there may be more to this than meets the eye...

Nintendo initially announced that the Online Service would launch with 'free' NES games (with added online features) - and that they were 'considering' including titles from the SNES library as well...a consideration that now appears to have been dropped.

This makes me wonder whether the NES games might be being used to promote a wider 'premium' subscription service (akin to Xbox Game Pass) - where, for an additional monthly fee, you'll be able to access games from the wider catalog of games (SNES, GBA, N64 etc) on-demand...with, in a sense, the NES games offering a free taster for what you could get by subscribing to 'Nintendo Game Pass'.

I think that it's possible that we could see more than just NES games added to the 'free' service - but my gut feeling is that the majority of platforms will be locked behind an additional paywall...just pure speculation of course, but that's my hunch!

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Therad

Anything nostalgic can be sold. They have made good money on the heavy hitters. I don't think Nintendo will let games such as ocarina of Time, super Mario 64 or link to the past rot away when they are an easy way to make money.

And in the same interview they also said:
“There are a variety of ways in which classic games from Nintendo and other publishers are made available on Nintendo Switch, such as through Nintendo Entertainment System – Nintendo Switch Online, Nintendo eShop or as packaged collections,”

Does that sound like they are never going to do anything outside of NES and SNES titles in the subscription as jaxonH suggested? Or does it sound like titles might show up either as a package or individually? Time will tell if they will release more retro games, but it is basically free money.

I feel Nintendo fans jumps to conclusions far too often. I don't think Nintendo are especially obfuscating, quite often they say exactly what they mean but people add in stuff.

Therad

TheTetrisGuy

I was going to get Hyrule Warriors DE... but then I remembered I haven’t played Breath of the Wild yet... guess which one I’m going to get first.

Just a geek that likes video games, and spends to much time playing Smash Bros. and Fortnite.

“Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever you were gonna do anyway.” – Iron Man

Galarian_Lassie

South Park is now at #13 on both the UK and US EShop charts. With Death Road to Canada at #10 on the UK EShop and at #12 on the US EShop with Kirby reappearing at #15 on the UK EShop.

Where am I going! Nowhere, unless if I say otherwise!

Grumblevolcano

ARMS demo out now, yes an actual local demo where you can play against CPUs and 1v1 local multiplayer.

Grumblevolcano

Spanjard

TheTetrisGuy wrote:

I was going to get Hyrule Warriors DE... but then I remembered I haven’t played Breath of the Wild yet... guess which one I’m going to get first.

ARMS...?

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic