Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 28,941 to 28,960 of 39,480

Alber-san

@JaxonH
Ok now that's actually a good argument (and not many people are pointing it out they're just saying: only NES games available! Oh no!). Yeah the variety will suffer a lot, at least for now, but we don't know what will happen in the future. Plus Nintendo isn't that stupid not to release N64 and Gamecube games (why wouldn't they?).

I'm sure Virtual Console games will come back in one way or another. Just not with the Virtual Console, maybe with a new UI, functionalities, etc. (I seem to remember them saying the Retro titles would be available for purchase too when the online service was announced)

Switch FC: SW-4227-6363-7321
Online games:
Rocket League, Splatoon 2, NBA Playgrounds, Fortnite

Favourite single player games:XC2, Skyrim, TLoZ: BotW

DarthNocturnal

No/ few retro offerings on Switch would be a wasted opportunity. Not everyone is going to want to buy the Classic systems, and Switch can get more games then they'll ever have because it has a digital store. Plus, some Classic systems probably wouldn't be cost effective (Gamecube).

It's funny; I was actually thinking of just not worrying over having to double dip (discount or full price) for VC/ NC games or whatever they call it. If they took it completely away... well, gee, I had my money ready and everything.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

link3710

For those who like numbers, there's 311 games available on the Wii U via VC. So the current offering is about 6.4% of that. Unless you are REALLY pessimistic, I think we'll break 10% of the Wii U's VC easily, likely before even the end of the year.

link3710

JaxonH

@subpopz
If they were bringing the same quantity and selection, it would be under the VC banner. VC banner is toast precisely because selection and platforms are toast.

You're asking what they specifically said? Let me ask you want they specifically said. Did they say they would bring retro games of any kind beyond the online classic banner? No. Have they brought any retro games to date beyond the online classics announced? Again, no

No VC means exactly that. This isn't a "rebranding". This isn't a "you'll see all the same selection as Wii U just under a different name" situation. This is a "VC is toast, deal with it, the only classics you'll get is the limited selection of rentals with multiplayer via online classics" situation

If they were gonna bring just as many games as before, they'd simply call it VC. No reason to get rid of the VC banner if nothing is actually changing. Obviously VC is done. I've been saying this from the get go- VC is done. Don't put stock in vein hopes of this just being some rebranding. It's not. It's a complete abolition of the service on consoles.

Retro games will be available via other methods. Online Classics, mini consoles, perhaps collections. But if you want actual games on Switch, you're gonna be extremely limited with respect to what we had on Wii U. Believe that.

NOW PLAYING
NS: Tales of Vesperia, NSMBU, No More Heroes, Diablo 3, Dark Souls
Wii U: Fire Emblem 7 [GBA]
X1: Red Dead Redemption 2
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3DS/PS4/PSVR/Vita/PC/Rift: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

GrailUK

1) If we are going to get classic games like Wild Guns with brand new characters after about 24 years since it released, then I choose this over yet another re-release on vc.

2) If we are going to get classic games like Wonderboy in Monsterland with amazing new artwork and ace music (whilst being able to toggle vanilla flavour) then I choose this over virtual console.

3) If companies are going to re-make old games like Crash Bandicoot (which aged like milk) then I'd buy these over virtual console versions. (Now here I have to concede that low polygon fare like Secret of Mana I would actually prefer vc lol. And where is a western trilogy lol!)

4) If we are going to get compilations of franchises with sprite viewers and artwork, then I choose this over buying the virtual console games.

5) If we are going to get games every single week from Hamster, Zerodiv, Johnny Turbo announced ahead of time and have something to look forward to, then I would choose this over the random weekly lottery that was the virtual console.

6) Nintendo remade the Mario games on the SNES. They touched up Ocarina on the 3DS. Would be lovely if they went this route. Add gyro aim to Ocarina for example.

7) Physical copies of retro games as opposed to virtual copies.

Ummm...I'm out. But what I'm trying to say is, no virtual console is not the end of the world. Every company seems to be realising that there is a market for classic games. Especially as games are becoming so expensive to make, modernising back catalogues make sense. I think we are going to be inundated with modern takes on retro classics. Toki looked gorgeous. Sega Ages is exciting. Loads to look forward to. Just hope Capcom, Konami and Namco get a bit more pro active with the games lol.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

TheLobster

@JaxonH "No reason to get rid of the VC banner if nothing is actually changing."

There's plenty of reason. Number one is Nintendo is very obviously trying to distance themselves from the hot mess that was the Wii (U) era. Notice Miis are also noticeably absent from their branding as of late and very few casual games have come out a la Wii Sports or Wii Play (only 1, 2, Switch, really). Labo is a toy and doesn't count. Nintendo is reinventing itself right now as a serious gaming company for an older demographic.

Super Mario Maker Bookmark Page

Switch Friend Code: SW-5549-9228-7780 | 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2545-4434 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLobster | Twitter:

JaxonH

@TheLobster
The fact they're porting as many Wii U games as possible directly contradicts that notion.

VC was never a negative they needed to distance themselves from anyways. If anything it's constantly demanded.

I mean, do people really think Nintendo is gonna hit us with hundreds of retro games across all their past platforms, but they're just rebranding? Come on. Anyone who believes that is setting themselves up for disappointment. And when it doesn't happen, after years of insisting it would, is gonna be insult to injury.

If it was just rebranding, they would have announced what that new branding is. But they haven't. Because it's not actually being replaced with anything. It's just being dropped entirely. It'll be almost 2 years before we even get online classic NES games, and another couple years for those to drip out. By the time that's done the generation will be almost over.

If something else was coming besides VC (aside from their online classics) we'd know about it by now.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

JaxonH

As I predicted, Wolfenstein 2 requires 23gb of space.

eShop description states you'll need 23gb total, despite the size being listed at 13.7gb

So on a 16gb cart, that's about 9gb download. That's not too bad I suppose... keepin it single digit at least. Still, it would be nice to see a few of these games hitting up those 32gb mega cartridges. Oh well. I knew it wasn't on an 8gb cartridge though.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Aozz101x

IceClimbers wrote:

Only $20

forget what i said eariler. but, i''ll still take it! because i do need a stand.

Edited on by Aozz101x

P3FES (PS2: Male/Aigis), P3P (PSP: Female), FO4 (PC), SSBU (NS),
SM64DS, FF:CC (NGC), SADX (NGC), Syphon Filter: DM (PSP),
Death Jr (PSP), Tobal 2 (PS1), THUG 2 (NGC), AC: Popular Growning (NGC), AC: City Folk (Wii), Captain Rainbow (Wii)

3DS Friend Code: 3153-5789-3951 | Nintendo Network ID: Aozz101x

DarthNocturnal

@IceClimbers

Dang, I coulda used that last week. Better viewing angle + recharge? Yes please.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

IceClimbers

@TheLobster Could be wrong but this might be a bit more compact. Otherwise I don't think this one really provides any benefit over the Hori one.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Anti-Matter

IceClimbers wrote:

Only $20

Yay... !

My Top 5 games :
1. Dance Dance Revolution series (99 / 100)
2. Dragon Quest Builders 2 PS4 (95 / 100)
3. The Sims 4 PS4 with all expansion packs and DLC (93 / 100)
4. Portal Knights PS4 (90 / 100)
5. Final Fantasy VIII PS1 (90 / 100)

Switch Friend Code: SW-8364-7166-5608

ilikeike

Okay, the week of July 13 is going to be insane for Nintendo Switch. Crash releases on the 10th, and Octopath, Captain Toad, and this awesome new stand all release on the 13th. Basically everything I've wanted for Switch (classic platformer like Crash, gorgeous RPG like Octopath, and better way to play in tabletop mode) is releasing in one week. I can barely handle the majesty.

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

darkfenrir

Add Shining Resonance Refrain on July 10th

Then again you probably isn't interested in it lol

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

ilikeike

@darkfenrir Thanks for reminding me, I forgot it released that day too! And actually I am interested in it...just not enough to pick it up that week! I'm a full time college student, so I'm not exactly able to buy every single game I'm interested in, especially when they all release in the same week. And given that, of course Octopath takes priority on my shopping list!
But yeah, I'll definitely pick up Shining Resonance at some point. I've watched loads of gameplay and it looks like something I'd love, especially with the music theme. I'll probably get it when it's on sale, or when I'm just itching for another good Switch JRPG after Octopath.

Edited on by ilikeike

darkfenrir

@ilikeike Haha, it's ok! I personally is getting those 2 (+ Ys8) and even though I'm working, that's a sizable amount already :')

Have tons of fun though! I won't begrudge anyone over skipping titles because money (and time).

darkfenrir

Switch Friend Code: SW-0242-3593-1338

Mrtoad

Kirby has completely disappeared off the EShop charts both in the US and the UK today. Death Road to Canada has joined the charts both in the UK and US. And in the UK, Souyh Park dropped to #13.

Going nowhere at all...

ilikeike

@darkfenrir Dangit, now you reminded me that Ys is releasing just a few weeks before Octopath! My wallet weeps, why do you do this to me?!?! XD

But in all seriousness, have fun with the games you get! They may be pricey altogether but they look like they'll all be well worth the cost. Really, this summer is going to be absolutely packed with quality games, so I'll have to get used to the feeling of picking and choosing what I get.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic