Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 28,901 to 28,920 of 40,073

Knuckles-Fajita

@Grumblevolcano I'm of two minds.

NES and SNES, fine, as they are. Just throw up whenever I couldn't care less.

N64, just remake them. That'll be a better use of those games especially as age isn't kind to them

GameCube, just do HD remasters. People liked WW and TP HD, do more.

Regarding ownership, do we know what happens to Games with Gold or PS+ games when those services eventually die?

NLI Discord:

https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

JaxonH

@shadow-wolf
Ya it can be volatile. Silver especially. I wouldn't be surprised to see gold drop into the $1100/oz range, but it's on an upward trend long term. I don't plan on cashing out for decades. By then gold could be several thousand an ounce. At worst, the same as now plus inflation over 30 years. I wouldn't buy if it was at 1900/oz like in 2011. But 1300 seems reasonable. At least, for long term. Short term is a gamble.

But ya it does feel good. Video games have monopolized my time and money for so long... it's time to start diversifying

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
NS: Trials Rising (masterpiece), Tales of Vesperia, NSMBU Deluxe
X1: DMC5
GPD Win 2: Fire Emblem Path of Radiance
3DS/Wii U/PS4/PSVR/Vita/PC/Rift: [nothing]

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Grumblevolcano

@YummyHappyPills Gone outside of 360 games. Entitlements for 360 Games With Gold games stay even when you lose Xbox Live Gold so they'd stay if the service was gone forever.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

ilikeike

@Grumblevolcano I agree that NES only is really disappointing, especially since the initial announcement of the service said that we'd get SNES games eventually. I'm confident that we'll get other consoles in the service eventually, though I'd obviously prefer that we be given the option from the start.

I think it's too early to talk about ownership of these games, since Nintendo has barely specified anything in that regard. Do we stream them? Download them? Do we get an option to buy them with the "exclusive eShop deals"? We're still very in the dark about this.

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

Grumblevolcano

@ilikeike Well they've already said you lose access when your subscription expires so it's like PS+ and the XB1 games included for Games With Gold.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

TheLobster

@JaxonH Good for you, though I personally prefer stocks myself. I started investing about two years ago and I've gotten myself to a level where if I needed to cash out I could live comfortably off the funds for up to two years. I still buy video games though - it's my one vice. I don't smoke or drink (though I do swear) so I should be allowed something!

Super Mario Maker Bookmark Page

Switch Friend Code: SW-5549-9228-7780 | 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2545-4434 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLobster | Twitter:

JaxonH

@TheLobster
Only stock investment I have is my 401k. It's far too intimidating to me. Not that it's impossible to do but it would just require a lot of time keeping up with things and learning things. But if you do stay in the know, you'll come out ahead of me and just about anyone else.

Video games is my vice too though. Quit smoking, quit dip, quit swearing, quit drugs; all I have is my nicotine gum and my video games... and now my precious metals I can ogle and fondle 😁

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

shadow-wolf

@JaxonH That makes sense. But I actually wasn’t talking about the value of gold and silver (although that’s definitely something to keep in mind) but having all of that value in one place just doesn’t seem to be recommendable. Of course you should spend on gold and silver if you are interested in it as a hobby or for other interests, but you should only spend enough that if hypothetically you were to lose the gold/silver, you’d still have plenty of money in the bank. In other words don’t convert all the money you have into gold and silver.

...but you probably already know that.

Edited on by shadow-wolf

shadow-wolf

JaxonH

@shadow-wolf
Oh, right. I make enough Ill have the coffers replenished by year's end, especially cutting down my video game purchases. I kind of wanted to force myself in a situation where I would have to cut down my video game purchases. When I've got a bunch of money in the bank it's too easy for me to convince myself I don't need to cancel anything. But once I break that habit it'll be easy to keep it broken

NOW PLAYING

Jesus is Lord.

Therad

ilikeike wrote:

I fail to see how paying $20 a year to gain access to 20 classic games is less appealing than paying $5 for each of them individually.

There's definitely a lot of things I'd change about the current outline of the online service as it is. But the general concept of paying an annual fee to access these classics is, in my opinion, far better than the old VC.

If you would have bought 5 of those games, then you save money as long as you don't want to play them the year after. So technically it is a rental service. Which always cost more in the end.

Most people wouldn't buy a sub if online play wasn't held hostage by it. That is the truth of all subs. The benefits are only there to sweeten the deal.

And I still don't understand why Nintendo are entitled to my money if I play rocket league with a friend. Or Mario kart for that matter, since Nintendo don't have dedicated servers. Can someone explain this, or is it indefensible?

Therad

Knuckles-Fajita

@Therad Why is Sony and Microsoft entitled to your money when you want to play Rocket League or CoD or almost anything online?

It happens on every system. Welcome to the modern world. Its indefensible.

You can thank Xbox for starting this one btw

NLI Discord:

shadow-wolf

@JaxonH That makes sense, good luck with breaking the habit! It’ll be tough but you’d definitely be satisfied once you succeed.

shadow-wolf

ilikeike

@Therad Yes, it is basically a rental service. But I see value in it the same way I see value in Netflix: maybe it would technically be cheaper to buy and download the shows I watch, but given the subscription I get access to tons of other great shows I might like.

If Nintendo is to be believed, then 20 games is only the beginning. Hopefully it will grow to a library of a size comparable to that of the old virtual library, and if it still keeps that $20 pricetag then it's a great value.

As it is now, no, I wouldn't buy the service based solely on the game selection alone. But it's a good program with an awesome concept, and there's the promise that it'll grow to be something great, so fingers crossed.

Mario Galaxy is ten years old, and now I feel old.

Therad

@ilikeike I don't agree it is a good concept. More power to you if you think those games are worth 20. I don't.

But still, without the removal of online, not many would find value in this. Everything else just feels like added stuff to justify the decision.

@YummyHappyPills just because the others are doing it, doesn't mean it is a good practice. I am once again reminded why PC is the superior gaming device.

Therad

FragRed

I have been seeing a lot of comments over the past 24 hours regarding the new Nintendo online subscription service. Personally, I don't really see why we should be paying for online, no matter what the price.

I recently let my PS + subscription run out because I don't use it enough, don't really care for the "free" games and the price hiking that seems to happen each year is getting beyond a joke. It is essentially easy money for Sony, and that's all it is. It's not like Sony has that many multiplayer/co-op focused games - most first party are single player experiences.

And I never even bothered with the Xbox Gold, but I do sometimes play Mario Kart or Splatoon 2 online, but I have to ask myself - is it really worth the price tag and in short, probably not. The reason I will be paying is mainly because of the cloud saves, more than anything. If Nintendo bolster that retro library to include SNES and N64 (don't expect GameCube games to ever come) then that's great, but that's not something I am particularly bothered about. Would prefer not to pay but if it ensures me the ability to save my data incase anything happens to the system, then so be it.

ENGAGE VG: www.engagevg.com

kkslider5552000

FragRed wrote:

I have been seeing a lot of comments over the past 24 hours regarding the new Nintendo online subscription service. Personally, I don't really see why we should be paying for online, no matter what the price.

I recently let my PS + subscription run out because I don't use it enough, don't really care for the "free" games and the price hiking that seems to happen each year is getting beyond a joke. It is essentially easy money for Sony, and that's all it is. It's not like Sony has that many multiplayer/co-op focused games - most first party are single player experiences.

And I never even bothered with the Xbox Gold, but I do sometimes play Mario Kart or Splatoon 2 online, but I have to ask myself - is it really worth the price tag and in short, probably not. The reason I will be paying is mainly because of the cloud saves, more than anything. If Nintendo bolster that retro library to include SNES and N64 (don't expect GameCube games to ever come) then that's great, but that's not something I am particularly bothered about. Would prefer not to pay but if it ensures me the ability to save my data incase anything happens to the system, then so be it.

I tend to agree with all of this. I'm someone who finds the outrage over this whole thing a bit ridiculous, especially the idea that Virtual Console should've kept going as is. BUT, that's mostly because the core problem is that I truly believe online should not be an extra cost when you've already paid for the console and the game, and that people are missing the forest for the trees. Especially considering the normal price for a retail HD console game, and the increasing focus on paid DLC and the like.

This is not bad (mostly) because of how Nintendo is doing paid online. It is bad because it IS paid online, where it in fact could totally have been free online that is improved from what Nintendo has done online for free in the past. Maybe if Nintendo uses free DLC like Splatoon's multiplayer as the standard for post-release content for its online games to make up for it. Maybe.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Aozz101x

@Grumblevolcano wishful thinking, but i do hope their a workaround from Nintendo, when the time does come.
...probable not though, sadly.

Edited on by Aozz101x

the picture you're seeing is a homemade chocolate made by Nanako from Persona 4.

3DS Friend Code: 3153-5789-3951 | Nintendo Network ID: Aozz101x

Therad

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Maybe if Nintendo uses free DLC like Splatoon's multiplayer as the standard for post-release content for its online games to make up for it. Maybe.

But even so, it would be wrong because then you are imposing a tax on other devs to fund your own development, just because you are a platform holder. The more correct way would be a sub for splatoon in that case.

Therad

StuTwo

The real beauty of the “NESflix” model is that it makes it viable to pop in and out of games with marginal value. Like I’d struggle to justify paying anything for Dr Mario on Switch but if it’s included in a broader subscription that I’m getting for other purposes then I might play it.

This is especially true for even more niche games with an even more limited audience.

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Knuckles-Fajita

@Therad I never insinuated the others doing it was "right". I said it was indefensible.

But if youre going to hold and call out one company for doing this, call out the rest. We dont hold one to higher standards

NLI Discord:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic