Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 25,801 to 25,820 of 70,001

Octane

@YummyHappyPills I mean, people would complain about the fact that the Switch comes with two controllers, but they can't use them. But it's not a valid reason...

Octane

Haruki_NLI

@Octane There are many games on the system where you need additionally purchased controllers to maximise content. Even then, people would understand.

Itd be unfair to the system to deny a game for a reason that mirrors Lawbreakers and "not enough buttons"

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Ralizah

@Grumblevolcano I can't imagine how much climbing there would be in a Pokemon game. I was thinking more that it could affect spawn rates of different sort of Pokemon and also impact your strategies during battle.

@YummyHappyPills Reminds me of that dev who said the Switch controller didn't have enough buttons for their games. Who was that? I'm not sure if it's more amusing or irritating that devs look for the dumbest possible excuses to not develop for Switch.

Just say: "We don't want to port [insert game here] for the Switch." Honest and simple.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

JaxonH

I think what he's saying is, the appeal of the game on Switch would (arguably) be due to Switch's multiplayer nature with 2 controllers built in. But since the game requires camera controls for each player, that appeal would be lost via the fact you'd need a 2nd controller to play locally. Yes that's true for other systems, but other systems don't have local MP as their big draw and appeal. They just play online, whereas a Switch version's appeal would lie in the single Joycon on demand play, which is why he's saying that wouldn't work, you'd have to buy a 2nd controller, which he correctly points out doesn't do justice to the Switch's potential appeal for a game like this.

I get what he's saying. He might not have put it eloquently, but point taken. But I think the biggest thing comes back around to the biggest thing that's always the biggest thing, and that is dev cycle time. Switch is 1 year old, and people only realized it was going to be a 100% for sure juggernaut about 3-6 months ago (and for some of the less optimistic, just a few weeks ago at the 1 year mark).

Unfortunately, Switch did not have the same advantage of 3rd party confidence as other systems at launch. And even other systems took 2-3 years for games to fully migrate over from the status quo. I expect no less for Switch. A gradual uptick in games over the next year or two until it finally peaks. But it's going to be a gradual increase where you don't really notice it on a monthly basis. You're probably not going to wake up one day and say holy crap, they started announcing a ton of games! It's going to be one of those things where we just see more games announced this three-month period than the last, and we see just a couple more games announced during the next three months period than this one, and so on. But by the time the end of this year rolls around, if we look back and compare to the Switch's early days, we will definitely notice the difference. And the more time we let pass before looking back to compare, the bigger the difference will be.

edit
Looks like Little Dragon's Cafe is up for preorder on Amazon, from Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons creator. Getting an $80 special edition as well.

Also, how bout that Tennis World Tour? Releases close to Mario Tennis Aces, but offers a legit simulation Tennis game from a lot of the developers who made Top Spin back in the day. It's not as high budget as a fully licensed EA Sports game (they have 30 licensed players, 5 of the top 10 men's players and 3 of the top 10 women's) but, I'm just glad to see a developer out there besides EA willing to create some variety. I love video game Tennis and soccer and hockey, even though I don't follow sports anymore.

Tennis World Tour does look legit though, with what seems to be AAA production values and animations (animations are top shelf). It's promised to be 60fps even on Switch, though I'm sure that comes at the cost of a bit of resolution.

edit 2
Also PSA: Skull & Co Gripcase is back on Amazon, in stock March 30th. Thing has blown up, selling out like crazy. They can't keep up with demand. Easily the best grip for Switch and the only one that still allows you to dock. Also includes a carry case with an empty space underneath to tuck a second handheld underneath Switch (3DS, Vita, GPD Win 1 or 2, etc) and still have a mesh zippered pocket for accessories. Allows you to carry all your handheld gaming devices and chargers in one single slim, low profile case (and not one of those bulky travel bags)

Get it while you can

Skull & Co GripCase for Switch

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Therad

Grumblevolcano wrote:

After the nonsense regarding BotW and rain, dynamic weather is a bad thing! Unless there's some kind of gear that allows you to climb during rain? I've reached the Champions Ballad DLC and haven't found anything that allows you to.

Climbing gear and more stamina can mitigate the rain pretty well. Jump right before you fall and you don't lose to much momentum.

Also, with Revalis gale you can sometimes get around climbing at all.

Edited on by Therad

Therad

Grumblevolcano

@Therad I haven't found climbing gear that useful with rain though I don't have 1 of the set items so maybe it's a set bonus?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Therad

Exactly. And if I remember correctly, you could upgrade it and climbing takes less stamina. It definitely helps when climbing in rain. The most important part is to jump before Link falls. It is slow and cumbersome, but is doable for smaller mountains.

Therad

toiletduck

@Grumblevolcano @Octane If I recall correctly it actually does offer a useful set bonus: if the complete set is equipped, you lose fewer stamina while wall jumping.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

NaviAndMii

subpopz wrote:

@YummyHappyPills He should have just left it at the reason being the development cycle, because he really looks stupid saying that (IMO).

No, I fully agree - that was a stupid thing to say! He completely misses the point...just like other consoles, the Switch comes with a standard controller featuring a full configuration of buttons - the only quirk is that, unlike other consoles, the standard controller can be split - so, if a game has a relatively simple control scheme, multiplayer can be played using half a controller each. It's a flexible system - and that 'quirk' only adds to its flexibility... (and doesn't compromise a thing) ..just ..just ..ugh! **face palm!**

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

LuckyLand

YummyHappyPills wrote:

This is golden...

The first reason makes perfect sense. The second reason, that youd need to buy a second controller to play locally...um....who wants to tell him about PS4 and Xbox One?

https://gonintendo.com/stories/304810-a-way-out-dev-says-swit...

I have bought Brothers on Steam, played it, and for sure I am not going to buy a game from the same creator again. And Brothers at least seemed interesting at least until I finally played it and saw what it was all about. This one don't even look interesting or appealing from the previews imo.

I used to be a ripple user like you, then I took The Arrow in the knee

Ralizah

Aww :/

At least we'll hear something soon, though!

EDIT: Hollow Knight devs.

Edited on by Ralizah

Haruki_NLI

@Ralizah Would havw been good to know who they were without a click.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

IceClimbers

Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection is releasing May 29th!

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

GrailUK

@Dogorilla Beautiful.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

IceClimbers

@Dogorilla Yes! Day 1 purchase there. Wonder why that wasn't in the showcase?

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Ralizah

@Dogorilla Why wasn't this included in the presentation? This is an actual high-quality, well-received game.

Dogorilla

Yeah it's weird it wasn't included. Although I think every game in the showcase was a brand new game that hasn't been released yet on any platform? So maybe they wanted to only include brand new games for some reason.

"Remember, Funky's the Monkey!"

Funky Kong

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic