Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 22,861 to 22,880 of 31,445

Octane

I think a lot of it has to do with the relationship Nintendo has had with third parties in the past versus, say, Sony. You don't build a strong relationship within a few months. So that may explain why some are rather hesitant. Or maybe it's just cheaper and easier to chuck old ports at the PS4 and Xbox One and call it a day.

Octane

Octane

@YummyHappyPills The Vita has still a significantly bigger install-base in Japan. And maybe they already had most of these emulators and/or engines running on the Vita?

Like Okami HD, don't expect Capcom did that because they wanted to please their fans. It was a quick, cheap and dirty port. That's all there is to it.

Octane

Knuckles-Fajita

@Octane Allow me to explain this.

A game going to PS4 and Vita would take more effort than PS4 and Switch, for one.

2, Vita has ehat, 16m sales since 2011? Switch is at 10m since March.

To put this into perspective imagine Wii U getting a FF Collection and PS4 didnt. Thats whats happening here.

Or better yet, if you havent had time, announce the Switch version at the same time. If it comes later it comes later, fine, BUT LET US KNOW AS CONSUMERS.

We can put up with late ports but late announcements are a real kick. The industry sees that first trsiler snd thats it. If it comes later its a poor selling footnote. And that doesnt help anyone.

Sign up for the NL Inklings Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Tournament on June 23rd: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Ralizah

Let's not lose our heads over a rumor, please.

@Octane Nintendo 3DS is swimming in Dragon Quest games in Japan, so I highly doubt that.

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Octane

@Ralizah But do they use the same engine? Although an emulator seems more likely for an FF collection. So unless the 3DS has DQ VC in Japan, that could be a reason.

EDIT: Didn't even realise this was only a rumour...

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane I mean I doubt that Square Enix somehow having a bad relationship with Nintendo is an explanation for anything. 3DS got two Bravely games, a huge number of DQ games, and probably other stuff as well.

Also, I haven't heard a peep about the supposed "Final Fantasy 30th Anniversary Collection" since it was "leaked" last year

Edited on by Ralizah

Switch FC: SW-2726-5961-1794

Knuckles-Fajita

@Octane Hey, so err...guess what? In DQ11 on 3DS you can unlock the original to play via Virtual Console...so um...yeah that's not the reason I'm afraid.

So my stance with third parties is this.

Look at all the rumours. How many of those games actually came? Not many. FromSoftware is MIA, Dark Souls, nope. Soul Caliber? Nope. Call of Duty? Nope. Activision? MIA. EA? Doesn't give a toss.

Until the millisecond these games are announced for Switch officially I expect nothing from any third party, because at this point they are far too willing to dangle a thread and get us to bark on command for something we never get.

Edited on by Knuckles-Fajita

Sign up for the NL Inklings Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Tournament on June 23rd: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

GrailUK

I don't blame third parties for being hesitant with Switch. But look, I think Capcom, Namco et al are interested in Switch, however don't lose sight of how long game development takes. Heck, if they were out at launch and only just started to be fully in, then I wouldn't be surprised if 2018 is full of ports/ collections and small / middle games because the big ones probably aren't even ready early 2019!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

DarthNocturnal

@JaxonH

Uhhhh... wow. I mean, that “Crystal Collection“ part of the rumor sounds nice (plus, wasn't it multiplat or something?), but it's just a possibly fake rumor.

Also, aren't we getting DQ Builders and Octopath Traveler? On top of DQ 11? Square (or Fat Square) isn't ignoring the Switch. They're even looking into a port of XV.

"Sometimes, I just don't understand human behavior" - C-3P0

Knuckles-Fajita

@GrailUK As a game developer, I'm perfectly aware of how long it takes.

However, I am also aware of the concept of good PR. If it cant happen, cool. If its possible, then say. If you say you are all in, throw us a bone, don't give us a reason to think otherwise.

Alternatively, don't ask us to port beg for nothing and become the laughing stock of the industry to the point the Project Cars developers get brazen enough to ask Nintendo fans about THAT game. XD

JaxonH

@DarthNocturnal
Could be.

But it's not just that. That's just something I got linked to yesterday, and seems indicative of a larger problem.

Almost a year into the lifespan now... you would expect to start seeing more announcements than what we're seeing. Even with Namco. And I'm not talking about that whole rumor because we knew that was a rumor from the get go. But they announced some anime fighter today, and PAC Man. And I'm thinking, out of all the high dollar and high-quality games you bring the other systems, this is what you give us?

Bandai Namco couldn't even be bothered to announce that new One Piece open world game for Switch. Code Vein? Nope. Dark Souls? Still heard nothing. God Eater? Uh uh (even though the 3rd entry was just announced and would cater to the MH audience in the absence of that franchise skipping out). Digimon? Notta. Tales? Still waiting. No Final Fantasy for Switch announced- not even ports of FFX, FFXII, FFVII, Type 0 HD, Collection... meanwhile FFXV and FFXIV Online are games they'll still be talking about "possibly looking into bringing in the future" years from now. Not even World of Final Fantasy has been announced. Kingdom Hearts... nothin. Not even the collections or an HD port of Dream Drop Distance... which even 3DS got an exclusive KH. We can't even get a port. Capcom... they finally make a big budget MH and the only system not getting it is the one where the fanbase of the last 10 years is on. No Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, not even Ultra Street Fighter IV. Just retro compilations...

And don't get me wrong there is some support from these companies on the way. And even though it's a compilation I'm still very excited for Mega Man, Mega Man X and Street Fighter. But gosh dang... it's such an insignificant slice of the larger pie, and when it comes to actual high dollar games nobody wants to bring anything. Even the Wii U saw new releases like Injustice and Splinter Cell and Assassins Creed and Call of Duty and Watch Dogs (even if it was late). Not that I necessarily care about all of those franchises (some I do) but it's just the fact that nobody wants to bring high dollar games to the Switch, and it's starting to become aggravating.

I hear a lot of talk but I'm not seeing any action. Not really. Valkyria Chronicles 4, Bayonetta 3, Dragon Quest XI... those are high dollar, high-quality games. Those are what I expect to see (and not leave the middle market games out either, we want those too obviously... I want PAC Man and the compilations, it's just not all I want). At first I didn't expect much for the Switch, but I expect more of the system now that it's such a success, and now that the third-party software is selling reasonably well.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Hollow Knight, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
New 3DS: Radiant Historia
PS4 Pro: God of War
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

Buizel

@JaxonH Don't forget that FF1-9 are already playable on the PSVita (through PSP BC / PSone classics). Maybe they'll be getting what is essentially a rebundling of these versions?

Currently playing: South Park: The Fractured But Hole (Switch), Battle Chef Brigade (Switch), Hyrule Warriors (Switch), Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC).
Replaying: DKC Tropical Freeze (Switch), Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch).

JaxonH

@Buizel
I don't even know if it's true or if plans have changed, but even ignoring that entirely, there's just so many other examples. Even Ubisoft... no Assassins Creed. No Far Cry. Just Uno and Monopoly, a Rayman port and Mario. It really speaks volumes about what they think will and will not sell on this platform. This is not the Wii U. It's not even the Wii. And that old way of thinking about the Nintendo gamership needs to die off already. We are not just Nintendo fans on Switch. We are PS gamers, Xbox gamers, PC gamers, and even those of us who are strictly Nintendo fans I believe are far more open minded toward third party games than past generations ever were.

The only thing that's going to change their minds is continued sales. If third party games continue to exceed expectations we will gradually see more and more. It's unfortunate that's the way things have to be because it will be a painfully slow process, and by the time we see a significant amount of support the generation will nearly be over. If they would just realize that people on this platform play all types of games, and that you can sell more on this platform than just your typical Mario crossover, board games and retro titles... they'd be making a lot more money and we'd be a lot happier. Take a chance already.

Edited on by JaxonH

NOW PLAYING
Switch: Hollow Knight, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
New 3DS: Radiant Historia
PS4 Pro: God of War
PSVR:
Vita:
X1X:
PC/Rift:

Jesus is Lord.

My Nintendo: JaxonH

KirbyTheVampire

Unless the Direct that's coming up soon reveals a decent amount of big games, I won't expect the third party situation to improve very much during this generation, if at all.

KirbyTheVampire

Knuckles-Fajita

Yeah honestly at this point, the only improvement we are going to get is that third parties are actually considering some games, and giving us the B-C tier stuff, with the occasional A game much later than everywhere else.

If things continue to go well, we will get ALL the B-C stuff on Switch 2, along with considerations and more attempts at the A stuff. Then on Switch 3, again assuming nothing goes wrong, we should start getting the A games consistently.

It'll be a console or two before we get the games even the 3DS got honestly.

The industry has become so stacked against us that it basically is an uphill battle. No matter how well the system sells, no matter what games we buy, it'll take years before they realise, but by then...it'll be our kids playing the games we would have licked to play on the systems....but the issue is our kids will likely be into something else entirely and not want those games.

So they'll give us the games we want now...in about 10 years...

Buizel

I get that people are upset that we're not getting all the multiplats that the Switch can obvious handle but...I really don't think the third party situation is that bad. At the very least, it's looking to be the best it's been since the Gamecube.

YummyHappyPills wrote:

It'll be a console or two before we get the games even the 3DS got honestly.

Really? What did the 3DS get in its first year that is better than the Switch's first year?

Currently playing: South Park: The Fractured But Hole (Switch), Battle Chef Brigade (Switch), Hyrule Warriors (Switch), Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC).
Replaying: DKC Tropical Freeze (Switch), Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch).

Knuckles-Fajita

@Buizel I'm referring to stuff like the JRPGs, the remakes, the collections, the solid platformers, it's going to be a while, because Atlas....is yet to jump over and just announced another 3DS game for Etrian. DQ is...an alleged thing.

But all those quirky little mid tier 3DS games, sure they get successors like Octopath to Bravely, those likely aren't going to be a thing for...at least a few years. It's either the big games watered down understandably, or the little games and re-releases.

IceClimbers

Oh for the love of God, chill out. These things take time. Marketing has a timeline they have to abide to - there's a time and a place for every announcement. Just because one thing was announced now doesn't mean that there aren't more announcements coming; it just means they're coming at a later date.

Games that were greenlit now and over the past few months won't come out until late 2018 at the earliest, the majority of it in 2019, and most likely won't be announced until spring 2018 at the earliest (more likely during summer, and the later ones in fall).

And we know damn well Nintendo's been working closely with third parties to plan out/control when things get announced.

@YummyHappyPills You know what? There's tempering expectations, there's even pessimism, but this is just straight out blind cynicism. There's no reason for it either. To be completely honest, it's getting more annoying than Slig's constant complaining.

Look, I get it, the Wii U era sucked. But now? There's no reason to continue with this constant victim/persecution complex.

Switch is doing incredibly well right now, and will continue to do so, but most of these companies didn't expect that to happen. Game development, and subsequently the marketing cycles for said games, take a while. Said announcements will come when they come.

Games like Code Vein, or that One Piece game, or Soul Calibur VI, etc? Those were greenlit 1-3+ years ago. Potential Switch ports weren't factored in to the development and marketing cycles for those games, and so if they come they'll be later on and on separate marketing cycles. You're going to have to wait. Period.

Until then, you have all these flavors, and you chose to be salty.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Scrummer

I feel like Pac-man championship edition could be fun at a reasonable price. $30 would be stretching it, but I think $20-$25 could be a good price.

Scrummer

Switch Friend Code: SW-7938-1793-3581 | My Nintendo: Scrummer

Luna_110

I'll wait for the Direct, since rumors are that, only rumors that can be true or false. The Soul Calibur VI rumors was true in the sense the game did exist, but was absolutely wrong in the rest.

Personally, I won't deny I would love multiplat ports, but if they don't come, I'm happy with the middle tier support. It's more than we got with the Wii U and games like Project Octopath are those that can be the bread and butter between big releases.

I have a chronic lack of time, for everything.

Now playing: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Switch Friend Code: SW-8536-9884-6679 | 3DS Friend Code: 0877-2091-1186 | Nintendo Network ID: Luna_cs

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic