Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 17,581 to 17,600 of 70,011

MFD

@Octane Eh, they've directly copy + pasted the US price into euros I see. Still means we're paying more, but eh, take your money and choke on it, Nintendo.

And in the case of recently released 3DS games, we pay 44,99 to the 39,99 on Gamestop, so there's that.

Edited on by MFD

MFD

Octane

@UmniKnight Keep in mind that US prices don't include tax, so they end up paying more than $60 per game, even if the price tag says $60. So if you take tax into account, they're about the same.

Octane

MFD

@Octane Oh, fair enough then. Our prices always include tax.

MFD

JaxonH

Of course, the US has BestBuy with Gamers Club Unlocked for $30/2 yrs (so it averages $15/yr) and that ensures $60 games become $47.99, while $50 games become $39.99, and $40 games become $31.99. It also works for amiibo, deluxe editions with season passes, special editions, etc. And alot of the major games get $10 back in rewards for preordering (Mario Odyssey, FIFA 18, NBA 2k18 and that's just for Switch), and an additional 4% back with double reward points and another 5% back for using their CC. Some games can end up effectively costing $33 day one, $43 at worst (once you factor in money back in reward points). I get even more back as an Elite Plus member.

I'm greatful for that.

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

skywake

FragRed wrote:

Internet speeds and data caps is what is holding back a truly digital only future right now.

Well that and the people who want to hold onto physical distribution for one reason or another. Either way I think that we'll eventually see optical media for games die out. If it's not because of digital distribution it'll be because cartridges become economical enough with obvious performance advantages. It might even be a combination of both. If everyone is downloading games why not make the console cheaper by having a cartridge slot rather than a comparitively expensive optical drive?

rallydefault wrote:

Agreed. I'm not trying to sound uppity or anything, but 10 bucks more once or twice a year isn't going to break anybody, and if it is, gaming probably is not the hobby you should be pursuing - this can be an expensive pastime.

Very true. Frankly there's less of a gap between the full RRP that Nintendo charges on the eShop and the cost of physical releases in store. I think Mario & Rabbids is $89AU on the eShop but I've seen the physical release it in shops for as little as $69AU.

And to the point I was making earlier about prices and cartridges:
https://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/12/toys-r-us-christmas-1996-ca...

1996, American Toys R Us catalogue
GB/GG games - <$40US
Saturn/PS games - $40-50US
SNES/Genesis games - $40-70US
Super Mario 64 - $70US (an 8MB cartridge, OoT was 32MB and some games were 64MB)

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Samus7Killer

Nintendo overcharging
They always do and never go on sale. Such an outta touch conpany.
I seen a new copy of New Super Mario U for $60 the other day.

Samus7Killer

FragRed

@skywake Well they've been saying the same thing about physical media in other areas of entertainment mainly music and film, yet there's still demand for it. In fact demand for physical has grown with regards to music. At least here in the UK.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

What Nintendo should've done is eat up the extra cost rather than force it to the consumer (i.e. Nintendo pay the extra $10 per cart) to make buying 3rd party Switch games a more attractive option rather than just assuming "I can take this anywhere" is enough.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

MFD

@Grumblevolcano I do agree with that. Only the portion who loves handheld will happily eat those extra costs. For someone who uses the Switch home-console, they're just taking your extra 10 "because"

MFD

skywake

FragRed wrote:

@skywake Well they've been saying the same thing about physical media in other areas of entertainment mainly music and film, yet there's still demand for it. In fact demand for physical has grown with regards to music. At least here in the UK.

Well I was talking more about the death of optical media for games. For music and movies the one main disadvantage of optical media, low speeds, doesn't really come into play. Well for music the fact that CDs were never really portable is a factor. But even in that case ripping the CD to my PC and copying it to the microSD card in my phone is good enough.

For games read speeds have been and will always be an issue. The faster the better. So in a few years time when Sony and whoever else sit down to think about what kind of storage their next console will have? That'll be a factor. Whether it's a home console or not. Eventually the gap will be large enough and the cost difference will be low enough that they'll drop optical media.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

rallydefault

UmniKnight wrote:

@rallydefault I'm quite sorry, but that sketches you as sitting on your high horse for me. If gaming was only for those with big, well-filled pockets, then Nintendo would've never cared to make the Switch "affordable", since it wouldn't have done them any favours.

You want an expensive hobby? Go play Yu-Gi-Oh tournaments, and try to get to the top spot. Cards going for as much as 100+ for one card, and you needing 2-3 for your deck, with making an entire deck from scratch, while not buying random packs, ending in 400-500 for one. Not to mention doing that on a regular basis.

lol I knew you were going to react that way.

Relax, man, it's 10 bucks. Save the dramatic accusations for stuff that's actually offensive. Gaming is an expensive hobby. Period. I never said there weren't other expensive hobbies, either... so I don't know what that rant was all about.

And yes, we pay 60 bucks plus tax for big releases in the U.S. Tax varies by state, roughly 5%.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

JaxonH

More importantly, this gives us the opportunity to further validate the LA Noire leaker... If he's right about this too, I think it's safe to say we should start taking whatever he says very seriously

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Grumblevolcano

It sounds about right about Direct timing, stuff like this are needed:

• Super Mario Odyssey special edition (they did it for BotW I doubt they'll skip their other massive 2017 game)
  • New content for existing games (e.g. Champions Ballad DLC, ARMS update, Splatoon 2 update)
  • Xenoblade 2 release date (if the game is still coming in 2017, time is running out)
  • 3rd party stuff, especially Skyrim release date
  • Nindies stuff
  • 3DS multiplayer Kirby game
  • Maybe a sneak peak into 2018 like the paid online service

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Grumblevolcano

@DarthNocturnal Yeah, show off Star Fox 2 gameplay and remind everyone it's exclusive to the SNES Classic.

Grumblevolcano

IceClimbers

@JaxonH That guy also talked about the Switch OS/UI being purposely minimalistic well before launch too.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

IceClimbers

The timing seems about right for the usual fall Direct.

• Give the rundown for the fall Switch and 3DS games, giving release date for the games that need it (Xenoblade 2, Skyrim, Rocket League, Payday 2, Monopoly).
  • New trailer for Super Mario Odyssey
  • New trailer for Xenoblade 2
  • Talk about updates for existing games (Zelda and Mario + Rabbids DLC, ARMS update, Splatoon 2 update)
  • Reveal that damn Kirby 3DS game
  • Give an early look at early 2018
  • Maybe reveal a 1st party eShop title for this fall? (Pushmo, Mario vs Donkey Kong, etc)

Sounds like a solid Direct to me, even if there isn't much in the way of reveals.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

GrailUK

I think we are going to get a fps announced. Surely some company out there has carried out a market map and seen the gaping hole! Come on Blizzard. I'm rooting for ya.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic