Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 12,081 to 12,100 of 70,058

Spoony_Tech

Lol, right now that's so true.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

NEStalgia

@Nicolaison "Stable" is not a word that comes to mind for either of these individuals.

NEStalgia

skywake

Nicolaison wrote:

@Skywake, I wouldn't expect them to add up. I would expect video games to be priced based on market value first, and if the costs catch up too much, corners are cut, or projects are cancelled.

Not really what I was getting at. I was saying that if bigger cartridges cost significantly more you'd expect some kind of correlation between game size and cost. But there isn't. I'm sure there's somewhat of an extra cost there but I don't think its big enough to make a large impact.

Nicolaison wrote:

Also, if LCU is a 20GB game like on other platforms, it's larger game than Breath, and apparently just barely can't fit in that 16GB cartridge. Sucks.

As I said, it's supposedly an 8.2GB download for the digital version on the Switch. Does that make much sense when it's a 19GB game on Wii U? Not really. But neither does the 13GB install for the physical release. Either way something about this game seems a bit odd and I'm not convinced that the Switch using cartridges should be the scapegoat....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Azooooz

News update: Warner Bros. Interactive has stated that Switch version of Lego City: Undercover won't require data installation to play.

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

KirbyTheVampire

@Azooooz Let's hope that's actually true. Certain Switch games costing more than games on other consoles is bad enough. I wonder why it says a download is required on the box?

Edited on by KirbyTheVampire

KirbyTheVampire

Lethal

Grumblevolcano wrote:

If the whole game is on the PS4 and XB1 discs then this is clearly a cartridge only issue and if that's the case then Nintendo should be eating the cost that it requires for these 3rd parties to get the whole game on the cartridge if the 3rd parties won't do it themselves.

The entire game will be on the discs. Telltale games and games with episodes and online only games are the only titles that may not include the full game on the disc. DLC is also sometimes not on the disc in game of the year editions and such.

The Switch carts might be able to compress files and then install them to the Switch if needed. I can see game cases saying "5gb of storage space required". Or something along those lines.

Edited on by Lethal

Switch Friend Code - SW-1147-4867-6886

Nicolai

skywake wrote:

Nicolaison wrote:

@Skywake, I wouldn't expect them to add up. I would expect video games to be priced based on market value first, and if the costs catch up too much, corners are cut, or projects are cancelled.

Not really what I was getting at. I was saying that if bigger cartridges cost significantly more you'd expect some kind of correlation between game size and cost. But there isn't. I'm sure there's somewhat of an extra cost there but I don't think its big enough to make a large impact.

You're saying that if the file size is bigger and (as a result) materials are more expensive, it might encourage developers to price their games higher, right? Well, I disagree. I think the cost of the cartridge doesn't influence their price. When determining a price, I assume marketers focus more on how many consumers they can reach with each price point, and calculate maximum profits with those two variables. The expenses are then factored in later to determine whether the project is profitable or not. That's what I would do, anyway. Companies don't purposefully price things higher and pass the cost on to the customers in situations like these, because that only means that fewer customers buy it, and the profits take an even larger hit than it would with less profit per item sold.

This is why a game like Breath of the Wild is the same price as a game like Arms. Even though botw's development was way longer and presumably more expensive, not enough people are going to buy it for more than $60, at least for just the game by itself. Market value first, development costs after.

Nicolaison wrote:

Also, if LCU is a 20GB game like on other platforms, it's larger game than Breath, and apparently just barely can't fit in that 16GB cartridge. Sucks.

As I said, it's supposedly an 8.2GB download for the digital version on the Switch. Does that make much sense when it's a 19GB game on Wii U? Not really. But neither does the 13GB install for the physical release. Either way something about this game seems a bit odd and I'm not convinced that the Switch using cartridges should be the scapegoat....

Well, 8.2 (I thought we said earlier that it was 7.1) and 13GB equal up to roughly over 20GB. It makes sense (not really, but at least it does mathematically) that the 8.2 refers to an initial download, and a 13GB patch comes after. It's underhanded and downright wrong to advertise it as an 8.2 game online, though, but it's not out of the question. And if Warner Bros. feels like they need to cut costs to get the game to Switch, then it makes sense to me. It makes more sense than the Switch version somehow being roughly 13GB smaller than every other version.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Azooooz

@KirbyTheVampire Here's their statement:

Players who purchase LEGO City: Undercover on Nintendo Switch at retail do not need to download the game to play. All players who purchase the game can download the small content update patch with an internet connection.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

Nicolai

@Azooooz So that debunks the 8GB retail size with mandatory 13GB download patch? That still doesn't explain why the file size on the eShop is so low compared to other platforms.

I mean, they refer to it as a "small content patch." There's no way a patch nearly twice the size of the cartridge file fits their definition of "small." So, debunked, right?

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Azooooz

@Nicolaison Probably half a gigabyte, since the Switch version doesn't require game installation on the system.

BigBadJohn

So I wonder why the differences in file size from one platform to the next?

SW-5512-0541-9236

Name the movie quote "Toolshed!"

Bezbot

Who is excited for E3, Reggie said it will be big. What do you think they will do there?

Bezbot

Switch Friend Code: SW-4750-8467-7698 | 3DS Friend Code: 0147-3539-2436 | Nintendo Network ID: nobboysbro

rallydefault

BigBadJohn wrote:

So I wonder why the differences in file size from one platform to the next?

My guess would be slight differences in the architectures of the systems. PS/Xbox share architecture while the Switch's is merely similar and not exactly the same. Probably little tweaks and things here and there.

Could also be running at lower res/lower fps on Switch, so smaller file size needed for graphical elements and such.

Also could be chalked up to how much the dev team really tried to crunch the file sizes. Some devs are notorious for large, "sloppy" filesizes of games with lots of wasted space in the code, others are more diligent in trying to pare things down.

But dang, you guys. Everyone was going nuts over the cartridge voodoo earlier today lol Hopefully this is a lesson in just taking a chill pill and to stop wearing the foil hats.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

skywake

Nicolaison wrote:

skywake wrote:

You're saying that if the file size is bigger and (as a result) materials are more expensive, it might encourage developers to price their games higher, right? Well, I disagree. I think the cost of the cartridge doesn't influence their price.

That's not what I'm saying actually. What I'm saying is that if the cost was significant then they wouldn't be able to absorb those costs. That they would then pass those costs onto consumers. In the same way that they passed costs over to consumers in the N64 era. But as you said that isn't happening.

Given that there doesn't appear to be a relationship between game size and RRP? The theories about larger cartridges being a massive burden on publishers fall apart. The premium, while still a thing, is small enough that they're just absorbing that cost. Therefore I don't have any sympathy for publishers who are jacking up the prices on Switch releases or screwing around with large day 1 patches to cut costs.

Edited on by skywake

Spoony_Tech

I thought this was old news.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

skywake

Full statement from WB via IGN, I highlighted some sections for emphasis

WB wrote:

The information is listed incorrectly on the packaging of LEGO City Undercover for Nintendo Switch. Players who purchase a physical copy of LEGO City Undercover on Nintendo Switch at retail are getting the complete game, and do not need to download additional content to enjoy the full experience. An internet connection is not required to play the game. The only internet connection suggested is to download the typical content update patch.

Also, it appears as though it is a game that's going to be on an 8GB cart. So yeah, this whole thing? It all happened because someone printed the wrong thing on the box

IceClimbers

Graceful Explosion Machine releases on April 6th for $12.99.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

OorWullie

@skywake That's a strange error to make,the "internet connection needed" part OK,mistakes like that can happen but why 13gb,that part must have originally come from somewhere.

I read earlier someone saying the Wii U Breath of the Wild box shows it supports Wiimote/Nunchuk combo and a single Wiimote.

Edited on by OorWullie

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

gcunit

skywake wrote:

So yeah, this whole thing? It all happened because someone printed the wrong thing on the box

No, it can't be just that, cos BLP insists we're not just talking about LCU

Edited on by gcunit

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic