Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 11,841 to 11,860 of 69,954

DefHalan

@rallydefault I was looking at Developed and Published games. Sony has a lot of their VR games, which really boosted their numbers.

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

according to quick googling: Microsoft released 8 games last year. Sony released 20 games last year. This year Nintendo has 9 games and most of them don't have a confirmed date and could easily slip into next year. To me that is low. I expected more for how little the Wii U got.

Here's my count of confirmed published titles in NA from Wiki, like for like. This year:
Nintendo: 9 Switch, 8 3DS -> 17
Sony: 11 PS4, 3 PSVR, 0 Vita -> 14
Microsoft: 5 XBOne -> 5

and last year:
Nintendo: 7 Wii U, 18 3DS -> 25
Sony: 12 PS4, 10 PSVR, 1 Vita -> 23
Microsoft: 5 XBOne -> 5

From what I can tell you're comparing the numbers in bold....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DefHalan

@skywake Since Nintendo seems adamant about the Switch not replacing the 3DS and being a Home Console, I wasn't comparing portable lines. If we were, numbers get crazy with mobile development and I don't really know how to compare those numbers lol. So I was just looking at Home Console development/games.

Edited on by DefHalan

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

Since Nintendo seems adamant about the Switch not replacing the 3DS and being a Home Console, I wasn't comparing portable lines. If we were, numbers get crazy with mobile development and I don't really know how to compare those numbers lol. So I was just looking at Home Console development/games.

Or to rephrase, since Nintendo are pushing a PR line so as to not squash their biggest current platform and you're ignoring one of the major platforms that Nintendo puts resources into entirely. But sure, you compare Sony's full list of published games from last year to a partial list of games from one of Nintendo's platforms this year. That's very fair minded.

Edited on by skywake

OorWullie

@DefHalan There will be at least 1 or 2 more titles for this year announced at E3,there always is.Plus any Directs they have planned will contain some surprises,maybe smaller E-shop titles though .Even if one or 2 of the already announced titles drop into 2018,I'm certain we'll still end up with a bigger list of 1st party games than we have now.Plus they need to keep this consistent flow of releases going into next year and beyond,especially if 3rd party's still aren't on board by then.If they were to put out 3 or 4 more titles this year than they normally would on average and the same again next year,that'll answer the question of what they were up to during the Wii U's last year or so.It might seem like there's not much just now but once the big releases start landing and then every month or 2 after another is on the way along with the smaller ones,it'll be hard to keep up.Plus whatever they have planned for the online subscription and VC on top.When we look at the Switch's full 1st party line up at the end of the year,it's arguably going to be stronger than any previous consoles first year,Sony,Microsoft and Sega included.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

DefHalan

@skywake or I actually believe Nintendo is going to keep the 3DS alive for a while. And I am focusing on the area I care about. Here we talked about Nintendo stopping development of Wii U games to better support the Switch, but that isn't what happened. Nintendo just increased production for the 3DS, and the Switch launch line up suffered, in my opinion.

@OorWullie I would be happy if more titles were released this year, I hust don't think we will get more major releases before the end of the year. We will see. Either way, I will still get the Switch for Mario Odyssey

rallydefault

@DefHalan
Come on, man. @skywake has a legit point. You want to compare games between the publishers, but you're going to ignore the fact that Nintendo needs to develop for two consoles WHILE giving Sony credit for three?

You're wrecking yourself, brosef.

rallydefault

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

I would be happy if more titles were released this year, I hust don't think we will get more major releases before the end of the year. We will see.

To be fair when the Wii U launched we didn't know about:

• Wind Waker HD
  • Wii Party U
  • Mario & Sonic @ Sochi
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Wii Sports Club
  • NES Remix
  • Dr Luigi

Those were all "first year" games that Nintendo published. Yes some of them were small but some of them were pretty significant. But the point remains, we didn't know about them at this stage. I don't think it's outlandish to think that we don't have the full year of the Switch mapped out already.

NaviAndMii

@skywake Yeah, history shows us that Nintendo wouldn't even bother turning up at E3 unless they were pretty confident of stealing the show...they've held some things back for the event, no question.

Edited on by NaviAndMii

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

Nintenerdguy wrote:

I'm going to do an article not related to this, but a list of features that the Switch needs. This is entirely opinionated, but if you agree or disagree, leave a reply in the forum.

Feature 1: Virtual Console.

Since the Wii, Virtual Console has been a part of every console that makes Nintendo money. Nostalgia wins over people, and they buy games from childhoods ages ago that were happy and fun-filled. The Nintendo Switch is no exception, and includes a Neo-Geo VC, but that's not enough. People thirst for Nes, Snes, and N64. Thankfully, later this year Nes and Snes games will come with the new Online service. The only thing we'd like to see is N64 virtual console. Games here are Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Pokemon Stadium. Gameboy VC might also also be appreciated as the wait for Pokemon Switch can be quenched with Red, Blue, and Yellow. Wherever you look, a very queer but juicy rumor is going around. Gamecube Virtual Console. (Dramatic Pause Right Here.) This would be amazing as we can take gems of the Gamecube on the go. Super Smash Bros Melee, Super Mario Sunshine, The Windwaker, and Metroid all taken on the Go with you.. This would make Nintendo a profit, and allow them for even newer features.

Feature #2 Virtual Reality
Nintendo has suffered a blow from both Xbox, and Playstation taking away all of the Hardcore gamers. On top of that, Playstation has VR. There's Vive, Oculus Rift, and Google Cardboard. Nintendo has to incorporate this some way or another, and while this idea may seem a bit far-fetched, here's what I think. Implementing AR glasses with Video Games might Work if Nintendo could find a cost efficient solution.

Feature #3
Ds/3ds Virtual console
This may sound unrealistic, but here are my ideas. Nintendo will have an attachment to attach phones or tablets to your Nintendo Switch console. You can then play using two screens and a Touch Screen. This could prove to be a smart idea that might save the company by using various ideas for the Switch.

Feature #4
Video Capture
This might be an interesting one because aside from posting on Youtube, you could rewatch matches of games you played. Let's say you're competitively training for a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Championship. You record a race that didn't go well, learn from your mistake when the video is played, and you do better.

That was my list of some features. Do you have any ideas? If so, please put a comment below.

These would definitely be good features to have, but I'm not sure we'll see all of them Year 1. VR feels more like a mid gen feature, it's probably going to take Nintendo some time to polish this and it'll be more helpful to have something like this mid gen when interest starts to wane in the system. Cost shouldn't be an issue as the glasses themselves shouldn't cost too much (as it would basically just be plastic, the Switch itself would do all of the legwork), but the Switch may have problems with graphics locked in at 720p or even 1080p.

I'm also not sure 3DS will get VC this gen, it may not be possible for them to emulate 3DS games sometime this gen (there certainly isn't a reliable emulator now). I expect some ports of 3DS and Wii U games, but not full on VC. Not sure they would use phones/tablets the way you describe either, I could see them working as an alternative for an extra handheld unit possibly, but not as an add on for an existing handheld unit.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

NaviAndMii

@Bolt_Strike @Nintenerdguy I think that Video Capture and Virtual Console have both been confirmed for release this year - though, quite how deep VC will dip in to Nintendo's back catalog is anyone's guess at this point!

I'd personally love to see some 3DS games make the 'switch' The dual screen functionality - and the fact that the 3DS is still very much alive and kicking - are what give me doubts...but we can dream!

I have serious doubts about VR on Switch - I think that VR tech is something that a company needs to back 100%, or just not bother...sure, there have been murmurs from Nintendo hinting at VR in the future - but a half-baked VR experience would almost be a waste of time, especially coming in to the market this late in the day. I could be wrong of course...the VR market is flooded with new hardware - but seriously lacking any 'killer apps' - so, if Nintendo have just one truly great piece of VR software to compliment a Switch VR experience, it'd be a very different story...but other companies are throwing serious money at this tech, so my fear is that anything Nintendo might be developing in this area could be too little too late by the time it were to hit the already crowded market...we'll see! (...Virtual Boy on Virtual Console anyone? )

Edited on by NaviAndMii

mav-i-am

I would rather see the VC get a huge number of Sega titles.

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

NaviAndMii wrote:

I have serious doubts about VR on Switch - I think that VR tech is something that a company needs to back 100%, or just not bother...sure, there have been murmurs from Nintendo hinting at VR in the future - but a half-baked VR experience would almost be a waste of time, especially coming in to the market this late in the day. I could be wrong of course...the VR market is flooded with new hardware - but seriously lacking any 'killer apps' - so, if Nintendo have just one truly great piece of VR software to compliment a Switch VR experience, it'd be a very different story...but other companies are throwing serious money at this tech, so my fear is that anything Nintendo might be developing in this area could be too little too late by the time it were to hit the already crowded market...we'll see! (...Virtual Boy on Virtual Console anyone? )

Well they can easily have killer apps for VR and still make it a mid gen upgrade, that's not an issue.

Prime 4 would be a good candidate for a killer app. It's already in first person, so that makes it suitable for VR.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

StuTwo

I think the killer app for VR is more likely to be watching live (or delayed or even old!) sports events and concerts. VR "experiences" have a great and obvious appeal but I'm not sure "traditional" videogames in VR will ever be enough of a mainstream pursuit that big budget games are ever made specifically for VR.

In terms of games I think that Nintendo could do some very clever and potentially great things but I wouldn't expect them to do the obvious things (i.e. Metroid Prime in first person). Something fun but lightweight like Wii Sports or 1-2 Switch properly adapted might be a better bet as a "killer app" for VR. Or something specifically social that flies contrary to the naturally anti-social nature of VR (does anyone remember the old kids show "Knightmare"?).

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Octane

@Bolt_Strike Metroid Prime VR in 720p with downgraded visuals... I think I'll skip.

Octane

NaviAndMii

@Bolt_Strike @StuTwo Absolutely, Nintendo are at their best when they are innovating - despite VR being an already crowded market place, no one supplier has that 'killer' software that makes their particular headset/product the must have - that's where Nintendo could, potentially, make their mark ..like they did with the Wii - they weren't the first company to experiment with motion/full body controls - but they managed to make a complete hardware/software package that made their spin on the genre the must have bit of kit (simple controls + Wii Sports + good price = market cornered!) ...they've done it so many times before, I wouldn't put it past them doing it again!

p.s. @StuTwo YES! Knightmare was AMAZING!! ..needs to make a come back!

StuTwo

NaviAndMii wrote:

Just imagine being able playing Breath of the Wild like that. It would be a gift from heaven for all of the YT LPers...

StuTwo

Switch Friend Code: SW-6338-4534-2507

Bolt_Strike

StuTwo wrote:

I think the killer app for VR is more likely to be watching live (or delayed or even old!) sports events and concerts. VR "experiences" have a great and obvious appeal but I'm not sure "traditional" videogames in VR will ever be enough of a mainstream pursuit that big budget games are ever made specifically for VR.

In terms of games I think that Nintendo could do some very clever and potentially great things but I wouldn't expect them to do the obvious things (i.e. Metroid Prime in first person). Something fun but lightweight like Wii Sports or 1-2 Switch properly adapted might be a better bet as a "killer app" for VR. Or something specifically social that flies contrary to the naturally anti-social nature of VR (does anyone remember the old kids show "Knightmare"?).

Absolutely not. Passive experiences won't sell VR, the fantasy with VR requires interaction. When you see VR in science fiction are they every just putting on goggles and watching? No, they're moving around and using full body control. Something that's more like a movie or a casual game like Wii Sports or 1-2 Switch is not going to be the killer app for VR, it's going to have to be closer to an open world game. Something that really immerses you in the game's world and shows off a wide range of actions and mechanics.

Now if they want to go social, the best option would probably be Pokemon. Allowing the player to interact with other players face to face virtually would really show what VR can do as a social device.

Bolt_Strike

NaviAndMii

StuTwo wrote:

NaviAndMii wrote:

Just imagine being able playing Breath of the Wild like that. It would be a gift from heaven for all of the YT LPers...

Oh boy - I'd be all over that like a panda at a bamboo buffet!

DefHalan

@rallydefault nope only counting the PS4, not Vita. Skywake has a point, just isn't the data I was looking at for a reason, I was comparing the Switch to its direct competition which according to Nintendo is Xbox One and PS4.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic