Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 11,821 to 11,840 of 69,952

Haruki_NLI

@NaviAndMii @Nintenerdguy Elgato is what I use for all my streaming and video needs (Hint nah I kid). You plug the corresponding cables from your system into the device, then connect the device to your TV and PC/Laptop and away you go.

If you are using XSPlit/OBS however, I recommend getting a screen capture of the Elgato software window, as opposed to running the software through into XSplit or OBS as a source. Those programs, especially XSplit, have latency with some sources and Elgato is one of them.

Also there is a delay to the software of around 1350 milliseconds or so. Take that into account for syncing non-game audio

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

DefHalan

@rallydefault I want to know what Nintendo was doing with all their time of not suppirting the Wii U because the Switch's launch wasn't supported by a lot of held back titles.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

jump

DefHalan wrote:

rallydefault I want to know what Nintendo was doing with all their time of not suppirting the Wii U because the Switch's launch wasn't supported by a lot of held back titles.

They were working on the Wii U, 300 people working on Zelda meant no new Metroid, F-Zero and other beloved franchises.

Edited on by jump

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

NaviAndMii

@BLP_Software Really appreciate all of that info - thanks very much ..my birthday's on the horizon - might treat myself then! Are there any minimum system requirements? I've got a pretty good PC rig, but it's always worth checking!

🎮 Adult Switch Gamers: Thread | Discord | Guilded

Switch Friend Code: SW-0427-7196-3801 | Twitter:

Haruki_NLI

@DefHalan @jump Okay, lets break down Nintendo's most notable owned studios.

Nintendo EAD Teams - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Super Mario Odyssey, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, 1-2 Switch (2017)
A lot coming this year and recently from the main EAD teams

1-Up Studios - The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes, Super Mario 3D World
(Nothing publicly announced for Switch, usually do side development)

Monolith Soft - Xenoblade Chronicles 2, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)
Already working on their major title which is reaffirmed as 2017.

Nd Cube - Mario Party 10, Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival, Mario party: Star Rush (2016)
Nothing yet, only recently wrapped development on a 3DS title

Retro Studios - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (2014)
Nothing publicly announced for Switch, this absence is notable

Creatures Inc. - Detective Pikachu (2016), Work on Pokémon Sun and Moon (2016)
Recently developed a 3DS title, work will be starting on a new one

Camelot - Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash (2015), Mario Sports: Superstars (2017)
Only literally released a title for 3DS

DeNA - Miitomo (2016), Super Mario Run (2016), Fire Emblem: Heroes (2017)
Mobile Developers

Game Freak - Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon (2016)
Probably already hard at work on their project, but again, only just released

Genius Sonority - Pokémon Shuffle (2015)
I have no idea on this one. Another notable absence

HAL Laboratory - Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush (2015), Kirby: Planet Robobot (2016), ByeBye Box Boy! (2017)
Already releasing games yearly, just wrapping up Box Boy

Intelligent Systems - Paper Mario: Colour Splash (2016), Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (2017), Fire Emblem (2018)
It's coming once Echoes wraps up it seems

There are other third party and affiliates I may be missing, but purely within Nintendo and their closest allies, this is what has happened recently and what is known to be coming. It seems only two or 3 teams haven't done anything of late.

At this point I believe the poster doesn't quite grasp how long it takes to produce a single title. You can get quick turnaround, but you also need to remember that if titles were indeed held over from Wii U, they would need to be moved to a totally different system architecture, and that's never easy. Third parties have larger teams and moan about it, and you expect Nintendo to:

1 - Do it as fast with less people per team
2 - Frontload a system launch and have more droughts
3 - Actually sit on a large investment and not get any returns on it for an extended time.

DefHalan

@BLP_Software Nintendo is smart enough not to waste resources by waiting until a project is done to start working on the next. Also, Breath of the Wild has been in development hell, but that can't be all everyone on the dev team worked on for all that time. 3rd, my comment is less about what teams are doing now but more about what those teams were doing during Wii U software droughts and why the Switch doesn't have excess support, it has the exact support I expect from a 1st party developer/publisher... Nintendo is normally better than that. Nintendo is doing fine but after the Wii U I expected Nintendo to come out swinging, which they definitely aren't doing in my opinion

mav-i-am

DefHalan wrote:

I expected Nintendo to come out swinging, which they definitely aren't doing in my opinion

really? the WiiU had two (main) issues, poor marketing and software droughts.

They have put lots on money into marketing (even my 90 year old Nan asked about it!) and there are no droughts this year.

They have put money into funding at least one third party title and are giving indies support like never before.

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

IceClimbers

@DefHalan During those droughts they were working on Switch (and 3DS) development. The problem here is that you assume that those droughts mean that those titles are going to be ready day 1 or shortly after launch. That's not reality. Some of them are available year 1, some are not. That's game development.

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

mav-i-am

People don't realise that any software development can run into a total dead end and time can end up being scrapped.

Switch games list,

Legend of Zelda BotW, Human resource machine, NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2, Super Bomberman R, Snipperclips, Overcooked, World of Goo.

Nintendo Network ID: mav-i-am | Twitter:

DefHalan

@IceClimbers saying that means we should expect future droughts. If Nintendo has to take a year or so off of development to have similar number of releases to Sony or Microsoft, who don't take a year off, then we have to expect droughts. I don't think they should release all their games at once, but why is the big release after release a port? Why isn't there a few more titles? I wasn't expecting a ton of Switch exclusives at launch. I was expecting a new big title and a new small title each month and right now, I am not sure if we will even be getting a new game a month from Nintendo. They took all this time but we aren't seeing an increase in production. If it really has taken them this long to produce so little, maybe they should have more teams, more people. There are tons of talented people out there that Nintendo could hire and we all know Nintendo has the money. playing it safe after the company's second worst preforming system doesn't seem smart in my opinion.

NEStalgia

@DefHalan Sony and Microsoft? Microsoft has very very little first party development to speak of at all at this point, they drained Game Studios years ago and lost Bungie while Rare is a shadow of itself that releases little. Sony has some great studios but they have less first party titles per year than Nintendo, this year just happens to be an amazing treasure trove for PS4, but it's not the norm in terms of first party.

You're talking about Nintendo as a single studio/publisher and comparing it to all third party studios combined on the other platforms. Yes, of course Nintendo platforms don't get as many third party games, but many of the ones it gets are unique, and that's not a new situation. Anyone that's all about third party quantity isn't really who Nintendo's targeting. We're still draining the 3DS pipeline at this point which is where most of Nintendo's exclusive third parties are. In a different universe Monster Hunter XX would be launching this week on Switch, Radiant Historia and Echoes would be releasing, etc. That isn't going to be launch month on a new console, but that day will come.

Nobody front-loads a console launch. That's part of what happened to WiiU. PS4 launch had 3 first party titles, one of them good, the other two not so much, and a bunch of filler ports from PS3 from the third parties. Launch year didn't look much better. As for a game a month, Zelda in March, MK8 in April (plus the Lego City rerelease, Arms likely in May (or June) (along with Disgaea5 Complete which is really a PS4 port), and then we'll see. That's 3 months into a new console with your big game ,little game cycle, and excluding all the indies (including physical release indies.) Major blockbusters in March are not good business. The blockbusters are Fall/Holiday. And there's a ton of games slated in that time window, assuming they all make 2017. But so far we're not seeing true droughts either, unless you're a WiiU owner where MK8 isn't too exciting for us, but for everyone that didn't have a WiiU, which is MOST people, which was the whole problem, that's a HUGELY exciting release.

Game development turnaround time in the HD world is 2-4 years average. Breath of the wild was over 5 years. FFXV was 10 years. If Nintendo dropped WiiU 2 years ago and did nothing but Switch development we'd be looking at a boatload of games. In a year or so. For now we're still getting a new Zelda, Mario, Kart rehash, new Splatoon, new IP, new Xenoblade (at least on Japan release schedules) in the first 10 months. Plus the third party releases (SMTV, FE Warriors, Steep, etc.) Fire Emblem next year in a series that's cranked out 4 major titles for the 3DS in the last 4 years, that's a studio that lets no grass grow under their feet. WiiU style game droughts meant 1-2 first party games per YEAR. This lineup is pretty deep for the first 10 months of a console. Especially considering it doesn't include any western multiplats that wouldn't be announcing anything until E3 if they're doing anything.

NEStalgia

Jhena

Im just sitting here and enjoying every hit the gaming inc brings to my table. The comic on the former page is genius though^^

But im still confused how the king of handhelds hasnt figured out yet that people might want to go outside with their handheld where the sun shines. Even with a blend film? i cant really play outside.

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

TuVictus

That reminds me
I wonder what castle vidcon would have to say about the switch

TuVictus

DefHalan

@NEStalgia according to quick googling: Microsoft released 8 games last year. Sony released 20 games last year. This year Nintendo has 9 games and most of them don't have a confirmed date and could easily slip into next year. To me that is low. I expected more for how little the Wii U got.

rallydefault

@DefHalan
That seems high for Microsoft and Sony. I mean, 20 games from Sony last year? Erm... I don't think so. That's probably counting games that were simply funded by them in part, kind of like giving Nintendo credit for Bayonetta 2 or Snipperclips; it's technically "their" game, but they didn't really devote developer resources to it.

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

Jhena

@Nintenerdguy Yeah i was really looking forward to play her in the garden. Before i got the switch i was constantly fantasising how epic it would be to play Nintendo games in the sun. I mean the really good games feel like summer themselves so this would be overkill.

But im not giving up^^ Ill try to dock it and play on my pc monitor which will be standing under a sun umbrella. Maybe the bigger screen will make it playable.

Jhena

Jhena

@Nintenerdguy Nah still not very good visible. I want that Nintendo summer^^

Jhena

Haruki_NLI

@Nintenerdguy Heres how it would work for Switch.

HDMI Cable from the Switch dock to your Elgato.

2nd HDMI cable from the Elgato to your TV, so you see the game in real time when playing.

Micro-USB cable from the Capture Card to your system, to power it and collect the footage. This connects via USB 2.0, at least on mine.

Don't worry about not having a HDMI port on your PC/Laptop, because those are rarely, if ever, HDMI in.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic