Forums

Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Posts 12,181 to 12,200 of 15,210

Sisilly_G

Last night, I'd only just discovered that those tall orange towers unlock the maps in the Sheikah Slate, so now I'm gliding all over the map trying to figure out how to unlock the rest of it, and I somehow wound up in a jungle, and now a desert.

I'm so lost right now and I love it. And I only have 4 heart containers and no stamina boost, so deaths are frequent (and I can't bear to part with my fairies).

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

meleebrawler

@MasterWario It's a good thing I'm lazy, then .

@Haru17 Getting Capcom to contribute to Zelda again in the form of Monster Hunter cameos would likely be the best thing to happen to this game.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

MasterWario

@meleebrawler I guess that's a bit harsh to say "you'd only die if you were careless/lazy", there are other reasons too, ha ha.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

Henmii

I checked my activity log and was shocked: Already 50 hours in, and I have just done 2 divine beasts and only 35 shrines. Its really a massive game!

Henmii

OorWullie

@MasterWario I make a point of not restoring any health during a battle.Whatever health I have when the fight begins is what I have to defeat all the enemies.If I get the game over screen then I will restore my health before I go back in to fight again but I won't use anything else until the fight is over.Same with the dungeon bosses,I'll make sure I'm at full health and use an attack or defense boost but once the fight starts,it's just me and my weapons.I do think it would be better if the option to restore health once engaged with an enemy wasn't there at all though.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

Octane

@BLP_Software I wasn't talking about the map display though! That's a difference. I think it works in BOTW, but I'm not sure if it would work in any open world game. If they removed the markers in TW3? I'd get hopelessly lost I think, finding your destination could become tedious. I think this is where BOTW's 'emptiness' comes into play, as it focuses the player to the more interesting parts on the map automatically. Therefore, it can do away with the map icons and still be joy to discover where you need to go.

Octane

Nicolai

My new favorite tactic for dealing with savage (white) enemies: freeze them, then push them off of a cliff.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

FGPackers

@Nicolaison or just Stasys them

Did a little bit: reached and entered Gerudo Town. Really beatiful and fantastic music. Reached 110 Shrines and did Snow Boots and Sand Boots quests. I also bought all possible jewels and finished upgrading all to 3 stars. Now i have to solve the secret club mistery and do a Shrine quest, then i'll do the last Divine Beast and explore all the zone.

A question for who reached Gerudo Town: was it me, or jewels are pointless if you have proper set?

FGPackers

Nintendo Network ID: FGPackers

Octane

@FGPackers I think they're pointless, apart from being another handful of gear to collect. Full sets are more beneficial (although the diamond one is pretty strong, I already got it somewhere else though).

Octane

Eric258

@Nicolaison Oooooo, I have to try that! So far the only thing I've really done with a Lynel is to use one to kill a Hinox. It was quite amusing seeing the Hinox being constantly set on fire by the Lynel! XD

@Undead_terror I think you meant "..add EVEN more to the world!"

Right now, I'm trying to use the most creative ways to defeat enemies. It isn't always efficient, but it's really fun. In one camp I sneaked my way throughout the camp, used arrows to lure away monsters and kept dropping metallic crates on them. It was a slow but rewarding process, seeing them crushed by metal boxes is very satisfying. I also kinda turned evil and went a bit overkill when fighting a bunch of bokoblins in another camp. I cut the drop holding the lantern to cause an explosion and then I immediately used bomb arrows with a lynel bow x 5 shot and shot constantly into the base. I shot so many that the game lagged a bit! I think I may have let my inner crazy, destructive and villainous side come out! XD

@FGPackers I think the accessories are mostly there if you want to have combination sets or just don't like the head piece of another set. I sometimes wear the topaz earrings just cause I don't want to constantly wear my hoodie. It's also good for interactions cause it's easier to see link's expressions.

Edited on by Eric258

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-2601-9990-4610
Super Mario Run Friend Code: 1391-4403-4742
Fire Emblem Heroes Friend Code: 1332698932
Twitter: @Eric258kip

shani

@MasterWario I'm inclined to agree on that, but for me it had the opposite effect: instead of becoming trivial, it made those battles even harder and more cumbersome laborious. Which is fitting since it's a powerful enemy. So that's why (like I mentioned in my previous post) it never felt cheap, but a sheer necessity to be able to defeat them in the first place. The message it sent to me was: "You're not ready, you're not good enough yet, you have to get better at this".

About the meals: Most of them never feel that effective to me (high-level meals, of course). Whether it's defense up or attack up, it only feels like a small boost and doesn't change much for me. Honestly, I don't even bother using meals anymore - other than for replenishing hearts - unless it's really necessary (yesterday I used a Speed Up meal for 'The Perfect Drink').
But if you feel like using meals in battle is cheap, how do you feel about fairies then? Shouldn't they feel like the ultimate cheat to you then?

And despite of me pausing several times to eat something, the Lynel still was able to kill me several times because he was just too fast, or I paused right before he hit me, so after replenishing my health, he took away all hearts but two or three and killed me with his second strike.

So what I did - after watching those videos - was starting to adapt. Yesterday, it finally felt like I did some progress. I fought a Lynel and he still managed to kill me once or twice during that battle (but I had 8 fairies, so no worries). However, I inflicted much more damage in a shorter amount of time than before. Mainly because I ducked (although I screwed up the first two or three times) when he started his spin attack, because I was able to launch more flurry attacks and because I stayed close-by when I used Stasis.

I still had to eat food mid-battle, but not that frequent anymore. So this time it felt more like I defeated him because I outsmarted him and not because I constantly kept myself alive through eating.
Before, defeating a Lynel was a matter of endurance, this time it was a matter of superior tactics. It felt really satisfying and at the same time, there's still a lot of room for improvement.
But whichever method I choose to defeat a Lynel, winning the battle always feels deserved. The only difference is that one way takes a lot more effort (and resources) and the other way is much more elegant.

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Nicolai

Eric258 wrote:

@Nicolaison Oooooo, I have to try that! So far the only thing I've really done with a Lynel is to use one to kill a Hinox. It was quite amusing seeing the Hinox being constantly set on fire by the Lynel! XD

Hmm... you don't run into too many Lynel's next to precarious cliffs, but the ones on Shatterback Point and Gerudo Summit come to mind. I'd be really interested to see how effective that is on Lynels. I just found this method effective while combing the Hebra mountain range.

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

meleebrawler

@Nicolaison I thought Lynels were immune to freezing? As well as burning and shocking. That's what the compendium means when it says they have a resistance to all elements.

And besides, why deny yourself sweet Lynel loot by using that strategy?

And all this about mid-battle eating being cheap, I think the real issue isn't the option so much as the safety of eating in the pause menu. Eating in real-time like Skyward Sword or Monster Hunter would likely quell those concerns.

Edited on by meleebrawler

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Haruki_NLI

I ran into a Silver Lynel, had no time for that, one Ancient Arrow later its dust. No drops is the trade off though.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Haru17

That's another thing. The game never explains why ancient arrows work so calamitously on guardians while seemingly warping other enemies out of existance entirely. There's just nothing — quite literally if one actually decides to use the arrows. And the guardians themselves were completely face value.

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Grumblevolcano

Interesting, I realized that you can't beat the game on Wii U without the Gamepad. My Gamepad ran out of charge so I was using the Wii U Pro controller and then reached a gyro puzzle and the game said to switch to the Gamepad. Of course this isn't an issue with Switch as all of Nintendo's Switch controllers have a gyroscope in them.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@Grumblevolcano It's like 3D World, you can beat the game, you just can't complete it without the GamePad.

Octane

Haruki_NLI

I think all controllers on Switch having near enough perfect parity (minus IR camera) is a big deal.

Even on PS4 the DS4 and Move can only do certain things each and you need both for a full experience. With Switch, unless its Joy-Con focused which you get with the system anyway, its doable with Pro Controller.

With Switch the full library is available with the boxed contents.

With others parts of it are locked behind a new controller or add on.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic