Forums

Topic: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Posts 701 to 720 of 4,508

JayJ

TheLZdragon wrote:

Harmonie wrote:

@JayJ It's obviously not a re-release or a port.

I think people are getting confused because a lot of content is being 'reused', but really that content spans ALL Super Smash Bros and has nothing to do with SSB4, and also all of it has been remade, not just remastered. This is NOT a port at all.

Character redesigns? Reusing and updating old characters? Adding new stages? Adding new modes?

Totally a port

Just wanted to make sure. I kept hearing people say "lol it's just a port" all the time and wanted to see how it turns out after E3

JayJ

Sisilly_G

@link3710 : There is no confirmation (that I am aware of) of the game running on the Unreal engine. The Unreal engine was credited in the direct to account for the games that were in fact running on that engine, but it does not implicate that Smash is also using that engine.

I am not denying the presence of new content, but you are glossing over the overwhelming amount of reused content in the game.

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

Switch Friend Code: SW-1910-7582-3323

Sisilly_G

@TheLZdragon : In this case, it looks like an enhanced port with many tweaks and refinements. It is a port in the sense that it appears to use the Wii U version as a foundation, and contains all of the base content + DLC + whatever new content is being added or altered in order to better balance the crowded roster of characters.

I consider Smash Ultimate an enhanced port just as Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate is an enhanced port of Generations. The two versions may be running on different engines (I would assume), but it uses a prior game as a foundation and builds on it. Smash Ultimate appears to be doing the very same in that respect.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

"Gee, that's really persuasive. Do you have any actual points to make other than to essentially say 'me Tarzan, physical bad, digital good'?"

IceClimbers

Takamaru confirmed to be an assist trophy

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

IceClimbers

@Silly_G Going by that logic, Smash 4 is an HD port of Brawl

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Harmonie

@JayJ I knew no matter what happened, people would twist it all around in whatever ways they could to claim that it is still a port. I'm sad that my predictions were right. But I guess it doesn't matter because it isn't a port. People can keep on believing it is, but the game is not a port, so when I buy it I'm getting a new game.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

EvilLucario

@Silly_G "Added tweaks and refinements" applies to sequels too. People ***** and moan that Splatoon 2 an enhanced port of Splatoon 1 which is just false, it's a sequel in the sense of tweaking what didn't work so well back then (OP specials, for one). Just using the base of past games to build a new game means nothing. Did people consider Smash 4 a port of Brawl back when that was first truly shown off for real?

Arceusdamn. I absolutely do blame Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for all this port garbage nonsense.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

Metroid, Xenoblade, EarthBound shill

I run a YouTube/Twitch channel for fun. Check me out if you want to!

Please let me know before you send me a FC request, thanks.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4023-8648-9313 | 3DS Friend Code: 2105-8876-1993 | Nintendo Network ID: ThatTrueEvil | Twitter:

Harmonie

For those of you doubting Unreal Engine. Go watch the end of the Direct, it shows credits. Unreal Engine is clearly associated with SSBU being right under where they credit Cloud.

Harmonie

Nintendo Network ID: WoodwindsRock

link3710

@Silly_G I am saying that the amount of reused content is on par with all previous entries post-melee. Unless you're saying they are all ports, then... well okay I guess? This is just the seventh Melee port in that case.

link3710

Grumblevolcano

Looks like Bayonetta is still broke.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Sisilly_G

@IceClimbers : Smash 4 would have been designed from the ground up (transition to HD and whatnot) whereas Smash Ultimate heavily reuses assets from Smash 4. The two aren't particularly comparable.

@EvilLucario : Splatoon 2 is a sequel by virtue of the nature of the game. It has a narrative, a new campaign, unique levels etc. Although it does appear to heavily reuse assets from the first game. I haven't played the first game myself, but I haven't been able to distinguish between the two based on gameplay footage alone.

Similarly, Doom II recycled the overwhelming majority of its assets from Doom (1993), and yes, it is a sequel, but one utilises the previous game as a foundation, with new levels, story etc. Similarly, I expect that Doom Eternal will do the same.

Smash Ultimate is a new instalment in the series, but I would not consider it a "sequel" any more than I would consider, say, Ultra Street Fighter IV to be a sequel to the original release of Street Fighter IV. The two games build on the previous instalment to further enhance the overall experience. It may not be a port in the strictest sense as its intent is not to replicate the Wii U game, but it certainly uses it as a foundation, and I would bet that it uses the same, if not an enhanced version of the Wii U version's engine. Any rumours surrounding the use of the Unreal engine are completely unsubstantiated (the Direct credits it due to the presence of other games that utilise the engine, such as Octopath Traveller and Fortnite).

Considering the amount of work that would be involved in simply adding new characters to an already bloated roster and trying to balance them all, I think some are being incredibly naive in assuming that the developers have completely redesigned the game from the ground up only to recycle 90% of the previous instalment's assets. If that were the case, we would not be seeing a new Smash Bros. game in this age of AAA production cycles, with such a ridiculous amount of content, less than 2 years into the lifespan of the console.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

Sisilly_G

@Snaplocket : Seriously, learn to enjoy your hobby, man. People are taking this way too personally. This isn't just a matter of reusing assets. The game appears to contain ALL of the content from the Wii U version plus whatever else is being added or modified.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

DanteSolablood

I don't particularly care if this is a port or a new game altogether, particularly as a huge amount of work seems to have gone into the game to make it look & feel fresh. Plus if I remember my episodes of Boundary Break, some assets can get moved across from older versions of Smash despite engine changes. Who knows what tinkering has gone under the hood... no need to fight about it now, do it online with a GC controller in your hand.

Personally can't wait, even if I have to.

Edited on by DanteSolablood

Danté: Old, cool & wise (the latter two are lies)
3DS FC: 1461-6243-5395
Switch FC: SW-4146-5915-6308
"Friendship is rare, hand me that shotgun buddy, hand me that chair."

Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

I'm not normally super big on Smash, but with how loaded this game is and the new characters being fighters I've wanted to see, I'm actually a little excited for this.

Anyway, they said not to expect a lot of newcomers but do you think we might see a lot of Echo Fighters? I can think of several good candidates:

Dark Samus
Shadow the Hedgehog
Ravio
Hilda
Yuga
Octolings

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Sisilly_G

@DanteSolablood : I'm happy with what I've seen, but it seems a lot of people are getting upset about it.

Sisilly_G

@Harmonie : That doesn't prove anything. The credits accounts for everything that appeared in the Direct. Fortnite and Octopath Traveller were developed with the Unreal engine (in fact, Epic Games, the developers of Fortnite are the ones who curated the Unreal engine in the first place).

Any rumours about Smash Ultimate being developed with the Unreal engine are completely unsubstantiated. I can't imagine that Nintendo would want to pay royalties to use another engine (when the one they have now is perfectly fine) and then recode the game only to reuse 90% of the content from the last game. It makes no sense.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

Sisilly_G

@Snaplocket : There's still time. I suspect that there will be a few more characters announced in the coming months, as there were for Smash 4 in the build up to its release.

Edited on by Sisilly_G

Haruki_NLI

@Silly_G Yes it does. They wont need to keep developing on a custom engine and reworking it for each system code base. Epic ports UE4, their existing games in UE4 go with it to the next system.

As such, the tasking of reworking custom code and assets for UE4 ensures more work NOW for reusing assets, but less in the future.

Now Playing: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart, Crash Bandicoot 4

Now Streaming: Sonic Lost World, Just Cause 3

NLI Discord: https://bit.ly/2IoFIvj

Twitch: https://bit.ly/2wcA7E4

Sisilly_G

@Snaplocket : Plus the fewer new amiibo I'll have to collect, the better.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic