Forums

Topic: Paper Mario: The Origami King

Posts 141 to 160 of 637

JaxonH

@Dezzy
Not sure. I'd say its 50/50 right now.

That said, between a partner joining you in battle if they're in your party, and some kind of level up progression, I figure it'll feature at least one of the two.

@NintendoByNature
Sticker Star, from the bit I played, was a fine game. It was just more bite sized, the environments looked pretty generic, and the battle system, despite being fun, never felt necessary because you'd use stickers to fight in battle to win more stickers. So it was like, better to not even bother.

But overall it was still a decent little game. I view it like Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7. Smaller, less ambition titles designed for small bursts of play. It was still fun though. The biggest flaw though was ya, using stickers to battle for stickers. If only that were addressed in a new game

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Snaplocket
???

I'm jumping to conclusions? Not the ones insisting the game is "Sticker Star 3" despite so many differences and similarities with other entries (a ludicrous, arguably troll level assertion at this point)? Stop it.

I'm pointing out things evident in the trailer and footage. No definitive claim has been made based on anything unknown. Unless you're arguing that when we see attacks that aren't inventory based we shouldn't "assume" that's the case? Its obviously the case. Or that despite the audience returning and a cheer option in battle, we can't surmise it actually does something? Or despite the fact we see partners all throughout the trailer/footage, we see Bob-omb in half a dozen scenarios, we see Explorer Toad in battle, we shouldn't "assume" they're any different than random Toad #27 that briefly joins you in Sticker Star? Really?

You have to use a little critical thought here or there's no discussion to be had.

Edited on by JaxonH

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

iKhan

@kkslider5552000

I believe that Risa Tabata explicitly mentioned that the Miyamoto mandate was one of the reasons they don't have original characters in her interview with GameXplain for Color Splash. Something about respecting the original creator's wishes. I believe TOK is also produced by Kensuke Tanabe, who I feel has a bit of a reputation for being inflexible on certain aspects of games, and I imagine that might be one of them

Also, delaying clear battle system reveals is something common for first trailers of JRPGs. Tales of Arise's trailer virtually had no combat, the first trailer for Bravely Default II didn't either. In fact, not disclosing clear combat seems to be a common thing across the entire industry for first trailers. Even when Sony shows "gameplay" it's usually a heavily scripted section with heavy QTEs, and little actual combat focus.

So while I understand the skepticism, I don't think that's the basis to call it a bad trailer.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

EOTW

As I said before, I don't care whether we get the old battle system back, I just want it to be fun. I haven't seen enough to tell whether it is or not yet, but I agree with others that they have shown us suspiciously little of it.
Wanting unique characters is just a desire for a certain level of world building that isn't just "hey, it's something to do with paper! Cool right?". For me, it feels like paper has become such a priority for the games that they are forgetting things that are actually interesting. I wouldn't actually mind if we got experimental games like SPM for all new entries from here on, as long as they were allowed to be unique in world design like SPM too. Honestly, shy guys and koopas and all the normal Mario stuff stopped being interesting decades ago. Part of what makes an adventure fun is discovering new things, and not knowing what comes next. When every character is the same as they've always been, I feel like the world is mundane and bland and it pulls me out of the experience. Example: you walk into a desert town, sand is blowing through. You see standard toads everywhere. Do you feel like walking up and talking to each of them, or do you just feel like moving on now that you've seen the desert town? Alternative: You walk into a desert town, sand is blowing through. The toads that live here have loose clothes that are stained yellow from the sand, and many wear turbans. Some street vendors are not toads at all, and may even be creatures you haven't seen before. Are you interested in exploring this version of the town, or was the other version good enough?

3DS FC: 3222-5568-3578
NNID: EOTW93
NX HYPE

Toy_Link

Interesting:

Seems like boots (jump) and hammer attacks are classified as weapons. No sign of weapons being single use in the video, looks promising for a battle system closer to the first two games.

Legal threats that have gone nowhere: 1

Grumblevolcano

link3710 wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

By official means, 3DS and Wii U has the entire Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi franchises before Origami King except TTYD.

It's the case with other franchises too (e.g. Mario platformers, Fire Emblem) where outside of Switch games, the GC game is the only one missing if you have 3DS and Wii U. It really shows 2 things:

1. Nintendo's ignorance of the GC library
2. Just how well 3DS and Wii U handled the other systems

You're misrepresenting the situation entirely. Out of the previous 3 Mario & Luigi games, the only one not natively playable on the 3DS via BC is the Superstar Saga, which did get a remake. But out of the past Paper Mario games, there were only two not playable via BC.

Nintendo did absolutely nothing with the Wii's library outside of finally releasing digital versions the disc based games they had published. As for the DS, GBA, and N64 entries in the series, the Wii U could handle emulation for all of those.

But the Gamecube? It wasn't going to play the discs natively without them making their own disc drive. And as for emulation, it's far too complex to run emulated on the Wii U. Could they possibly have made digital releases of Gamecube games in the same style as the Wii releases? Probably. But the Wii U wasn't selling enough to justify it.

It's not that they don't care about the GameCube library. We've seen Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Pikmin 1&2, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat!, Chibi Robo, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime 1&2, and Mario Power Tennis all made it onto other consoles. It's just that the GameCube is the first system where emulation is incredibly costly to develop, and incredibly power hungry. People have written SNES emulators by themselves, but it's taken a team of dozens of people over a decade to get Dolphin up to par. Which means we won't be seeing massive waves of GameCube titles appearing anytime soon through BC or emulation, just individual rereleases. On top of that, GameCube is still from the era where much of the source code has been lost, so who knows if Nintendo even has the source code for Paper Mario: TTYD or if they'd have to rebuild it from scratch.

Maybe with the Switch's successor that will change and emulation will happen but... Without emulation, we'll only see the occasional remaster/remake, same as games from any other system.

I'm not, for Mario & Luigi:

• Superstar Saga (Wii U VC, 3DS remake)
  • Partners in Time (backwards compatibility on 3DS, Wii U VC)
  • Bowser's Inside Story (backwards compatibility on 3DS, 3DS remake)
  • Dream Team (3DS)
  • Paper Jam (3DS)

For Paper Mario:

• Paper Mario (Wii U VC)
  • Super Paper Mario (backwards compatibility on Wii U, digital version on Wii U)
  • Sticker Star (3DS)
  • Color Splash (Wii U)

With Mario platformers they're all there except Sunshine, for Fire Emblem they're all there except Path of Radiance, for F-Zero they're all there except GX, for Star Fox they're all there except Adventures and Assault, etc.

Hopefully the 3D Mario collection rumour is real so Sunshine is playable on a newer system but I'm not believing it unless it's officially revealed.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

link3710

@Grumblevolcano Yes all those games are there. And you know what they have in common? 95+% of the NES/SNES/N64/GB/GBC/GBA titles available were emulated. While DS/Wii had BC, and 3DS/ Wii U was native. What got left out? The GameCube. Yes there were a few ports and remakes and stuff, but look at the numbers if you cut out all BC or emulated titles.

Plus, Mario & Luigi only got remakes because AlphaDream was on the verge of bankruptcy and couldn't afford to make new games. IS didn't have that issue. But they're also focusing on remaking the FE games... But more or less in order. Which means we won't see Path of Radiance for awhile yet. While Mario's older titles were VC/BC only.

I'm not saying there wasn't a deficit of GameCube titles. I'm saying that the reason for the lack of titles was because of the circumstances surrounding the 3DS and the Wii U with neither VC nor BC being an option, and not because of Nintendo not taking its GameCube catalog seriously.

link3710

JaxonH

@Grumblevolcano
Hopefully the 3D Mario collection rumour is real so Sunshine is playable on a newer system but I'm not believing it unless it's officially revealed

Untitled

OptometristLime

JaxonH wrote:

@Grumblevolcano
Hopefully the 3D Mario collection rumour is real so Sunshine is playable on a newer system but I'm not believing it unless it's officially revealed

Untitled

In a slight subversion of this image, I feel like we would all like to share your fervent hope that a positive experience will be in the cards for Paper Mario. The intensity of discussion over the issues, particularly those surrounding Nintendo's past neglect of the franchise, just serves to highlight our collective passion for the series. Personally I will be waiting until early game footage is made available and/or reviewed, to gain a sense of how strongly the game is likely to resonate with the fanbase.

Heck all of this nonsense has me bidding on a solo cartridge of Paper Jam...

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

JaxonH

@OptometristLime
That's perfectly reasonable.

I dont think it's going to check every box on the "super fan' wishlist" but I do think it's going to be a great game, and check far more boxes than anything we've seen in the last decade. Even Color Splash would have been truly great had it not had one or two aspects people actually hated. So as long as the hated aspects are removed (which, they are- the big complaints were battles that used stickers to earn more stickers, and lack of grand, epic scale, both of which are addressed- there may be things people would rather prefer, like unique costumes, but nobody hates classic Mario characters), it'll be a great game.

Edited on by JaxonH

Tyranexx

@JaxonH Maybe my reading comprehension is off due to a long day and the hour, but....I'm pretty sure Color Splash used cards.

That said, I share some of your enthusiasm. Granted, we're gonna need to see more before I'm truly convinced. Color Splash was by no means a bad game, but the battle system and a certain someone undoing your progress dampened my enjoyment of the title.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Dezzy

JaxonH wrote:

@Grumblevolcano

Untitled

The ability to hit a paper gumba with a hammer is insignificant next to the power of the Fludd

Edited on by Dezzy

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

JaxonH

@Tyranexx
It did, but I wasn't actually specifically referencing Color Splash beyond that one line, even though I know it sounds otherwise. It was kinda interjected into a larger paragraph.

DenDen

Paper jam that was a good rpg .
Loved the silly story

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

NintendoByNature

Went ahead and grabbed sticker star. Wont fire it up til I'm done with the original though. Seems like a short 20 hour experience and it might be what I need during my xenoblade breaks

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@JaxonH I sort of gathered that's what happened, but I figured I'd point it out for those who haven't played Color Splash.

@NintendoByNature Let me know how Sticker Star goes. I haven't played that one either and honestly don't really plan to...unless I can find it very cheap at a resale shop or something.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx i will For sure. Itll be the next game I start. I grabbed it at GS for 15.

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature My guess is it's not the dumpster fire it's exaggerated to be, but it likely is a very flawed game. I've taken chances on games before with "bad" reputations (like Metroid: Other M) and was pleasantly surprised.

I suppose you'll find out for both of us. 🤪

Edited on by Tyranexx

NintendoByNature

@Tyranexx honestly I don't get steered away when people bash a game, I like to find out for myself. Case and point: Bloodstained on switch.

Was it perfect, Not at all. It was blurry, and I had 3 or 4 hard crashes( but barely if any slow down). But people are avoiding it like the black plague.

Dont get me wrong; there are better versions obviously, but I had a great time with the game, and this was prior to the big update they had a while back.

Edited on by NintendoByNature

NintendoByNature

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic