Forums

Topic: Paper Mario: The Origami King

Posts 161 to 180 of 637

Tyranexx

@NintendoByNature For me, it depends on how interested in a game I was to begin with. XD I was willing to give Other M a spin as I read it had some redeeming qualities. Plus, I found it dirt cheap. On the other hand, I doubt I'll ever give Metroid Prime: Federation Force a spin as it's multiplayer-centric, and I don't know anyone who has a copy. There's a single player campaign, but I've heard that's very difficult on your own. I was burned in a similar fashion by Tri Force Heroes (as the single player there was clearly an afterthought) and didn't wish to repeat the experience.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

JaxonH

Beat Hooktail in Thousand Year Door. Then played as Peach and Bowser briefly. It’s been so long since I’ve played this game. The writing is 10/10. I love all the unique koopas and their spiny armor, it really adds to the experience. But the little things they say when you walk up to them... that’s what makes me love the game so much. If this new entry has the same level of quality writing, I already know it’s going to be a hit with me. It does make me yearn for more of the old style, but then I remember I can still play TTYD. I’m playing it now, in fact. It’s one of those special, once in a lifetime type of games you really feel thankful for, knowing nothing will ever replicate it again.

I just want this new entry to forge its own path, finding a good middle ground between some of the newer directions taken, removing what didn’t work, and melding with some older mechanics that did. Keep the zany personality of characters and hilarious writing, give us a beautiful world to adventure and a solid battle system... and we’re back in business.

@NintendoByNature
Bloodstained looked a little rough at launch, but I was surprised how much blowback it received when I honestly thought it looked decent. It was only when you compare it side-by-side did it seem lesser than.

The real issue for me though was the input lag. I didn’t notice it right away but after playing on my second or third day it started to become apparent. Same thing happened in Darksiders Warmastered quality mode. I didn’t notice right away and just thought it was how the game was supposed to feel. After a while I started to recognize it as input lag though.

But the updates have fixed the game up pretty decently now. Input lag is gone, so I’m happy. And it does look a bit better. Runs a bit better. And I think they have one more update still coming? Maybe?

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

NintendoByNature

@JaxonH yea I heard about the input lag too but didn't notice it. Not saying people aren't experiencing it, but I could have adapted without knowing.

The latest update dropped today maybe? Allows for zengetsu to be playable which is cool..i liked him.

Im With you though, I don't understand the Bashing the game got. Side by side, sure. But I was ok with it.

Side note: struggling with huff n puff on paper mario!! Hardest part of the game thus far.

NintendoByNature

kkslider5552000

Tyranexx wrote:

My guess is it's not the dumpster fire it's exaggerated to be, but it likely is a very flawed game. I've taken chances on games before with "bad" reputations (like Metroid: Other M) and was pleasantly surprised.

I suppose you'll find out for both of us. 🤪

Metroid Other M is exactly the game I'd compare it to. The difference is that their incredibly baffling misunderstanding of story went in fundamentally opposite directions (basically too much vs too little), and Sticker Star has more high and low points in terms of gameplay imo (at times it risks being really good ). But even as someone who thinks they're kinda almost decent, the better gameplay portions are still significantly worse than the better games in their series.

also you should have a guide when playing parts of sticker star tbh

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ralizah

@NintendoByNature If nothing else, Sticker Star looks fantastic in 3D. Hope you enjoy it.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

Zeldafan79

I just hope this game has partners like in the first two games! Man I'm gonna have to go replay TTYD!

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" Optimus Prime

NintendoByNature

@baller98 I know i am. Been looking on Amazon and what not. Best I've seen is 35 USd

NintendoByNature

Tyranexx

@kkslider5552000 Sticker Star requires a guide for some sections? I'm assuming some aspects of plot progression aren't very obvious in that case.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

Ralizah

@Tyranexx Certain sections require specific stickers to progress. It's not always obvious what you need.

I appreciate that they were trying to add a puzzle solving element, but I think it just made the experience more tedious.

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

OptometristLime

Are you guys really going to deceive me into playing Sticker Star (>.<)

Thing which irks me about all the latest entries was this: whoever made the decision that the Paper Mario line was intended for absolute novice fans of Mario games. I won't say it's a theme that's been upheld completely, but the creative edge (almost always tongue-in-cheek) made for an immersive world and brought some weight to the adventure.

You would never imagine the granting of approval for Piantas as a criminal institution, for example, but it was probably the only portrayal which could give legitimacy to such a woefully strange species.

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

toiletduck

EOTW wrote:

@toiletduck well there is only one paper mario on the 3ds, and that is Sticker Star. So the answer is a resounding no. If you want another good paper mario game I would recommend TTYD or the original, but those are harder to get ahold of than the newer ones. You won't find any that are like SPM in terms of gameplay, that one is wholly unique. But if you want another great adventure and engaging story/writing, The Thousand Year Door is the way to go.

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my slow reaction! Unfortunately I dont have (nor planning to have) access to a Gamecube and I dont do emulation, so I'll hold off for now.

toiletduck

Switch Friend Code: SW-2231-9448-5129

Tyranexx

@Ralizah Wondered if it wasn't something along those lines. Sounds like one of those mechanics that should work, but it does sound a bit tedious if you need to backtrack for some reason.

porto

Off topic, but Did anyone else think the new PM game reminded you of Yoshi’s Crafted World?

porto

Switch Friend Code: SW-2940-3286-4610 | My Nintendo: Pikmin4 | Twitter:

MarkL1987

Will Flower Points make a return to your health system in this game or is it HP only?

Favorite Switch games:
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario Odyssey
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Friend code: SW-4428-8318-9398

link3710

@MarkL1987 So far no sign of Flower Points. Which is odd, since if the battle system really isn't using cards/stickers, then how do they limit which attacks you can do? It's honestly the biggest sign that we're still in disposable attack mode.

link3710

EOTW

I just learned about a game called Bug Fables that is a classic Paper Mario look alike and it's coming to the Switch tomorrow. Reviews seem to be stellar, so I think I'll be picking that up. I wonder what it will look like next to Origami King?

3DS FC: 3222-5568-3578
NNID: EOTW93
NX HYPE

DenDen

@EOTW Im very interested in that one as well, cant wait

Now playing
Nexomon
Dicey Dungeons
UnderMine
Steamworld Quest

FC - SW 2926-4689-1966

Switch Friend Code: Sw-2926-4689-1966 | My Nintendo: DenDen

JaxonH

@EOTW
Bug Fables looks good. Not quite on the tier of Paper Mario but a good throwback to Thousand Year Door if you're itching for that exactly gameplay (I think I'd rather just play TTYD, then again Bug Fables is on Switch, whereas TTYD has to be played on PC).

I'm looking forward to a sequel down the line with improved visuals. They did good but, it still seems a bit lacking. If BF is successful and they can afford a larger budget next time, we could be in for a killer follow up

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic